• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2011 (Dec 19 - Dec 25)

It's hard to quantify how bad this is for sure for the Vita but I'd say "Pretty fucking bad" as the drop-off come January could see it dip below 10k. But who knows for sure, even with Nintendo's kitchen sink strategy with the 3DS and the Nintendo holiday multiplier (almost 18% of year-long Wii sales came from the past 2 weeks) it came nowhere near the results for it's predecessor. It's good but the results from this season probably aren't repeatable for Nintendo, and nothing without Mario did particularly well by franchise standards, Rocket Slime, and Inazuma underperformed and Monster Hunter probably won't hit 1 million by the end of the year. If Sony could get the Vita to perform like the PSP they could gain quite a bit of Nintendo's handheld marketshare or even beat them but.... these results are pretty dire and imply that all enthusiasm might've died after the launch. The only silver lining is that PSP is still performing well which means they still have a fanbase which can tranfer over to the new platform but without any major releases in site I don't know what they're going to do.

Going to wait for a price cut here in the UK before even considering it. Having said that, I'd like to see Vita do well. Keep dedicated handheld gaming alive!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's hard to quantify how bad this is for sure for the Vita but I'd say "Pretty fucking bad" as the drop-off come January could see it dip below 10k. But who knows for sure, even with Nintendo's kitchen sink strategy with the 3DS and the Nintendo holiday multiplier (almost 18% of year-long Wii sales came from the past 2 weeks) it came nowhere near the results for it's predecessor. It's good but the results from this season probably aren't repeatable for Nintendo, and nothing without Mario did particularly well by franchise standards, Rocket Slime, and Inazuma underperformed and Monster Hunter probably won't hit 1 million by the end of the year. If Sony could get the Vita to perform like the PSP they could gain quite a bit of Nintendo's handheld marketshare or even beat them but.... these results are pretty dire and imply that all enthusiasm might've died after the launch. The only silver lining is that PSP is still performing well which means they still have a fanbase which can tranfer over to the new platform but without any major releases in site I don't know what they're going to do.

Wut @ 3DS software performance

Takao

Banned
I guess I should let my rage settle, since it's basically confirmed Just Dance Wii will hit my joke prediction of a 500k ltd in Japan.

You'll shit bricks when you see it. (I'm pretty sure you saw it, btw, it took me a while though.)

You mean the dragon? I've seen uglier things at school.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Konami could benefit from doing the same for MGS3D before they face total bomba.

Despite all thing happened lately, and even considering this week's result, Level 5 is a company much much more clever than Konami from a business standpoint.

But, effectively, even a rock is better than Konami in reading the market.

GCX

Vita is in for a rough Q1.

3DS has Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts, Love Plus and stuff to keep the system afloat but what does Vita have?

I'm not really sure the Vita could have launched into a worse situation. The entire reason for the PSP's revival in Japan was Monster Hunter, the newest hit iteration of which is for the 3DS. If that wasn't enough, Nintendo is also offering a cheaper system with two big Mario titles. I really can't say I'm surprised by the results.

Somnid

What you neglected is that 3DS is growing in userbase. Hitting a million means a 25% adoption rate which is really, really good.

Alrus

The 3DS sales were more spread out than the DS in 2005, that's why it didn't reach the DS amazing week 51, 2005 number. I think it still beat the DS when you take in account the whole month.

Was this week's Vita sales for a full week of sales?

KuGsj.gif

meppi

Can't say I'm surprised.

I end up getting all the hardware in the end, but at this point in time I couldn't care less about getting a Vita.
Sure the hardware is very nice and all for the most part, but that's it. At least for now. :-/
Doesn't really help that a game like Uncharted is something I'd much rather play on the big screen as well as that we just got 3 a little while ago.

Even the new WipEout leaves me completely cold, which always was the series that got me buying Sony hardware in the early days...

Takao

Banned
Screw you Level-5, this game was supposed to bomb:

03./00. [WII] Inazuma Eleven Strikers | SPT | (Level 5) {2011.07.16} | ¥5.980 | - 74.227 / NEW
10./00. [WII] Inazuma Eleven Strikers 2012 Xtreme (Level 5) {2011-12-22} - 85,117 / NEW

Pretty much this.

Okay, that is pretty bad, obviously bigger bad things to worry about though.

tolkir

Vita is in for a rough Q1.

3DS has Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts, Love Plus and stuff to keep the system afloat but what does Vita have?

01/19 WipEout 2048
01/26 Tales of Innocence R
02/02 Ragnarok Odyssey
02/09 Gravity Daze
02/09 Sumioni
16/02 Good People Die (3DS too)
02/23 Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
02/23 Reality Fighters

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
01/19 WipEout 2048
02/02 Ragnarok Odyssey
02/09 Gravity Daze
02/09 Sumioni
02/23 Reality Fighters

Welp. Looks like I'll be importing my Vita instead of buying one for US launch. Will be cheaper.

duckroll

01/19 WipEout 2048
02/02 Ragnarok Odyssey
02/09 Gravity Daze
02/09 Sumioni
02/23 Reality Fighters

Most of those won't crack 100k, and none of them will crack 200k.

Vita :(

3DS where is my 510k? Damn u Famitsu share your numbers with Media Create

I remember thinking 3DS would be 3 million ahead of Vita back before the 3DS launch but damn. And I still thought Vita had a good chance to catch Nintendo sleeping after to slow down in sales... Now with the amount of software coming to 3DS in the next 3-4 months. I dunno Sony.

GCX

So seems like 3DS is having better overal sales in December than DS did in 2005.

Does that make it Japan's best-selling console ever in December (or any given month)?

Jokeropia

It´s true for MH game. you can ignore it all you want but the fact still stands.
Not all MH games are the same. Capcom knows this, which is why their FY expectations are "only" 1.2m - it's what can be reasonably expected on a new system. Would it have sold more on PSP at this point? Probably, but they're gonna have to go through the generational transition eventually anyway and preferred to prepare the 3DS userbase for the upcoming major release of MH4.

Sony just needs to concentrate on their phones, fighting with Nintendo over a distant second place is worthless

Are you trying to say that competing for the dedicated handheld market is pointless? By the end of the generation, the 3DS platform is still going to have made far more than any of the social games publishers could ever hope to earn even if there's a cataclysmic contraction. Cultivating a profitable ecosystem, even with an anachronistic device, is surely preferable to becoming another face in the Android hardware ensemble - Sony would be overshadowed and outmaneuvered by Samsung, HTC, and Google's Motorola mobile division - or attempting to displace iOS or Android.

Of course, there's no reason why they must select only one approach.

Cipherr

Ouch. Sony's bleeding money they don't need another huge loss-leader but what can they do? They next 3 months of 3DS are only going to tighten the thumbscrews.

Yeah, the next 3 months are going to be brutal for the Vita. 3DS has a constant release of C and B level titles. Not million sellers, but worthy gap fillers. Its going to be rough.

The Vita needs big games to sell. I really think it's that simple (just look at 3DS).

I think it needs games, and a price drop. I'm sorry but that price point just does not work for portables. I felt like this was going to happen too.

Meisadragon said:
Vita's price point is somewhere in the middle; it's not mass market and it's not too high either

I am astounded how short term our memories are. That already, just a few months down the line, we are here even discussing that the Vitas launch price is not to high is just amazing to me.

Some folks just never learn. The Vita will do its launch numbers like any new console/handheld, and it will be amplified by it launching in the midst of the holidays.

What follows afterwards will hopefully be the final nail through the skull of the hardheaded; that the price matters. And a lot. Nintendo couldnt sell at that price, Vita will not either, no handheld gaming device will right now. The games situation with the 3DS dropping a fuckton of heavy hitters right on Vitas coming out party just pours salt on the wound corpse.

Vita will survive, but it will do horribly at the price its at and with the competition it has outside of its launch window. And I really dont consider that an opinion, more like an inevitability. Even if it had freaking GT6, MH4, Uncharted, and somehow Pokemon day ONE, we would still be able to easily recognize the way the price held it back.

Sony just needs to concentrate on their phones, fighting with Nintendo over a distant second place is worthless

Lets not be ridiculous. Its not a hot start, but you are jumping to conclusions. You can still succeed greatly after a rough start, PS3 taught us that. And in a way.... The PSP did also.

vita's dead as shit

almost as dead as Zelda in Japan

all hail Mario Kart.

More like all hail Kirby... Wtf, Kirby Wii is going to crush Skyward Sword lol.

I think it needs games, and a price drop. I'm sorry but that price point just does not work for portables. I felt like this was going to happen too.
Unfortunately there is just no way to know if this is true or not. I think it's still up in the air whether or not a relatively high-priced handheld can succeed in today's market given the existence of a desirable software lineup. It's a combination that we just haven't seen.

Think about this --- would the 3DS have been successful at its original price if MH, SM3DL, and MK7 were available within a few months of launch? There is no way of knowing for sure but I personally wouldn't bet against the system selling power of games of that caliber.

kswiston

Found out the Vita sales via twitter as I missed them on GAF.

Pulled them out to a new thread for more eyes, hope no-one minds.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457014

This would be similar to starting a new thread for 360s December NPD sales next month because you didn't look in the main NPD thread. People who want these sorts of numbers know where to look. A separate thread does nothing but attract trolls and fanboys who are not really interested in actual sales. I can see why the thread was short lived.

Barrett2

Is the launch software considered to be good for the Japanese market? I know it looks good for the US release, but not sure how Japanese market views it.

Top Bottom