• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2013 (Dec 16 - Dec 22)

Rodea could count, it was confirmed to still exist as does the Wii version (woah). For the Wii version they should just get it on Wii U, it can require the Wiimote if Naka wishes.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Also thanks for the lists guys. The 3DS has a decent lineup, but it's going to have another decent decline this year. Has there ever been a time when a system peaked in its 2nd year?

Wii

I have different definition for the pick or not of a system. Hardware may have showed a small decline (because of low December sales) but software has showed a big increase. Both have to be counted and from that prism 2013 won't be easy to be topped.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hmm, that's I never really thought about it that way before. While there probably will be a decline in Japan, I don't really expect it to drop below 4 million on the year. What's worrying is what will happen in the west next year if there isn't a sustained holiday bump. The software release schedule isn't nearly as brisk and Nintendo has pretty much played all their big cards they can play.

Right, the 3DS has incredible positive momentum in Japan and Nintendo could basically just stop releasing games and still be the number one platform for the generation and most likely every year as well.

They don't quite have that luxury anywhere else.

BriBri

Initial D may get a packaged release.

Shinigami Oni (Death Demon) and Rodea the Sky Soldier have both been announced but may be racing with Chocobo.

The Youkai Watch sequel hasn't been confirmed by Level-5.

BriBri

Holy hell, it's still on their website (though no 3DS mention):

http://www.dworks-ent.co.jp/product/p_01.html

Wasn't Chocobo confirmed canned not long ago by an interview with SE? :'(
I think a 3DS version is listed on the Famitsu releases page?

And yes, Chocobo Racing is sadly canned.

The list can be rounded off with a trio of Shikakui Atama o Marukusuru titles but these will probably be more Rabbids sellers than rabid sellers.

Sandfox

Hmm, that's I never really thought about it that way before. While there probably will be a decline in Japan, I don't really expect it to drop below 4 million on the year. What's worrying is what will happen in the west next year if there isn't a sustained holiday bump. The software release schedule isn't nearly as brisk and Nintendo has pretty much played all their big cards they can play.

Now they're probably just going pump out sequels and ride the waves until their next device is ready.

Wii

I have different definition for the pick or not of a system. Hardware may have showed a small decline (because of low December sales) but software has showed a big increase. Both have to be counted and from that prism 2013 won't be easy to be topped.

Yeah, people often ignore software data but that's something that clearly shows a healthier ecosystem even though it's disappointing that it won't top 5m this year.

Well December is a 5 week month so they'll need to do 500K for that to happen with a 220K November.

Maybe 500k is optimistic, but I do think without the next gen launches to contend with and the system being bomba'd all over the place 500k isn't out of the question. We've seen some pretty big Nintendo jumps in recent years. Under 400k would be pretty amazingly bad.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's not too crazy, Nintendo hardware does get the biggest holiday boosts.
The absolute numbers are just so pathetic though.

Maybe 500k is optimistic, but I do think without the next gen launches to contend with and the system being bomba'd all over the place 500k isn't out of the question. We've seen some pretty big Nintendo jumps in recent years.

It's not completely unreasonable, but usually we see a 2x jump between the months, so I suspect it will fall a tad short.

That said it's not really that big of a difference overall.

Did Toukiden sequel get a mention in last week's Famitsu? Still, that's certainly for Vita.

Surely, PS4 will fare better in 2015 than in 2014. 2015 should be when FFXV, KHIII and MGS come, those three alone will help. But PS4 needs something in between. Right now, for 2014 things are looking grim: 2 announcements post-TGS, one port and one late port. Things have to improve in the upcoming weeks, otherwise PS4 could have a problem.

Nah, I don't think its going to be that bad. It will definitely do better than the PS3. The biggest problem with it is its lack of Japanese exclusives. I mean the best Sony can do is tell devs to port games like Persona, Tales and KH to PS4 and games like MG GZ and Yakuza are already on PS3. The best thing it has going for it weirdly is its western titles which have been gaining traction in Japan it seems.

2015 should also see a new RE and possibly GT7.

Well we can try to construct ones:

Dated: http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/releases/region-2

Code:
12/25 	Japan 	Pokemon Bank
		Satsujin Mystery: Kirisaki Jack
12/26 	Japan 	Zelda no Densetsu: Kamigami no Triforce 2
01/11 	Japan 	Hoshi no Kirby: Triple Deluxe
01/16 	Japan 	Vitamin X Evolution Plus
01/23 	Japan 	Karous: The Beast of Re:Eden
01/29 	Japan 	Nankou Furaku Sangokuden: Wei to Ooinaru Sensen
		Nankou Furaku Sangokuden: Wu to Ookawa no Eisha
01/30 	Japan 	Toushin Toshi
02/06 	Japan 	Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru to Ruka no Fushigi na Fushigi na Kagi
		Puyo Puyo Tetris
02/13 	Japan 	A-Ressha de Ikou 3D
		Magi: Aratanaru Sekai
02/19 	Japan 	Radirgy de Gojaru!
02/20 	Japan 	Kuroko no Basuke: Shouri e no Kiseki
02/27 	Japan 	Anpanman to Asobo: New Aiueo Kyoushitsu
		Bokujou Monogatari: Tsunagaru Shin Tenchi
		Kaseki Horider: Mugen Gear
03/07 	Japan 	Doraemon: Shin Nobita no Daimakyou - Peko to 5-nin no Tankentai
03/13 	Japan 	Penguin no Mondai+ Bakushou! Roulette Battle!!
03/20 	Japan 	Game Center CX: 3-Choume no Arino
		Hero Bank
		Mario Party: Island Tour
04/10 	Japan 	Crayon Shin-chan: Arashi o Yobu Kasukabe Eiga Stars!
06/05 	Japan 	Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth

Undated:

-Bravely Second
-Super Smash Brothers
-Mario Golf: World Tour
-Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
-Yoshi's New Island
-New Love Plus+
-Devil Survivor 2: Overclocked (does this still exist?)
-Super Sonipro
-Prisma Ilya
-Touch Detective Rising 3
-Chocolate Dog
-Pac World
-Maple Story
-Island Days
-KAIO: King of Pirates
-Layton 7
-Daisenryaku Daitoua Koboshi 2nd World War
-Card Fight!! Vanguard: Lock On Victory!!
-Rodea: The Sky Soldier
-Shinigami Oni
-Initial D f2p
-I'm assuredly missing things, feel free to keep listing and I'll update.

It may also have M4G and Pokemon Z. How big do you think the decline will be next year? Its weird the 3DS peaked so early especially since this year it had the biggest hitters: Pokemon and MH.

Not sure if posted already but we can put Falcom in the list of Japanese Dev's working on a PS4 title .

http://gematsu.com/2013/12/falcom-making-playstation-4-game

ps4devs.jpg

They were already on it :)

Good news for Wii U.

Really sticks it to the gaffers calling it a dead system.

Selling good-great for 4 weeks doesn't negate the other 40+ weeks of poor sales. The biggest problem is the sparse release schedule, which will lead to draughts and the inevitable low sales during such weeks. Besides, even though the WiiU is doing horribly in Japan, its doing much worse in NA and EU respective to those market standards.

There is some positivity. It can only go up :).

hongcha

Good news for Wii U.

It's still dead. When you've been on the market with no next-gen competition for over 1 year and you still haven't beaten X360's Japan LTD, or when the Vita handily outsells you YTD, you're still dead.

Vinnk

Really, I think you might underestimate people there. It is not like people are totally ignorant of what is happening elsewhere in the world and the 3DS is the most popular platform. Someone in Japan could tell us whether the existence of the 2DS is known about.

So far every kid I'v showed it to has never heard of it and the most common response from adults is: "Photoshop?", they think am making a joke 2DS does sound a little like a joke name. I explain thats it's real and then they say "How does it close?". Gamers that read Famitsu from cover to cover know about it (they did a little story about it a while back) but I'd say the vast majority if Japanese people don't know. I am sure it would be the same if you polled American kids about the Vita TV. The nerds would know, the rest, not so much.

Toth

There is only one week left to finish this year and these will be the 10 best-selling games of 2013:

01. [3DS] Pokémon X / Y (Pokémon Co.) {2013.10.12} - 3.820.346
02. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (Capcom) {2013.09.14} - 3.252.974
03. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} - 1.692.882 / 3.979.859
04. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life (Nintendo) {2013.04.18} - 1.551.643
05. [3DS] Dragon Quest VII: Fighters of Eden (Square Enix) {2013.02.07} - 1.223.268
06. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Nintendo) {2013.03.20} - 969.310 (it may lose 6th place to PazuDora Z: Puzzle & Dragons Z)
07. [3DS] PazuDora Z: Puzzle & Dragons Z (GungHo Online Entertainment) {2013.12.12} - 806.729
08. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2013.10.10} - 580.139
09. [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} - 509.348 / 890.663 (that's cheating!)
10. [WIU] Wii Party U (Nintendo) {2013.10.31} - 431.504 (the same as for New Super Mario Bros. U, it will outsell Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance next week)

Fascinating. Funny that even though LR did okay, it still will be like the 2nd/3rd highest selling PS3 game this year after GTA V, which is stunning to see sell so high in Japan this year o_O

Aquamarine stops covering Nintendo stuff and sells her 3DS/Wii U
chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f-25x28.png

I'm having way too much fun for that! Nintendo just has so many wonderful projects...I've had so much fun this year...it's like I'm a little girl again. My eyes are just wide in amazement. :)

Good news for Wii U.

Even if it performs well during the holiday season---which again, this should be expected given Nintendo's knack for capitalizing on the holiday fervor---there's still that pesky issue of the software ecosystem.

If 1st-party games and tentpole 3rd party franchises (Taiko / Monster Hunter / Dragon Quest) are the only games that sell non-abysmally on the system, what kind of motivation is that for third-parties to build a healthy retail ecosystem?

A dead system doesn't just mean a console that's selling poorly hardware-wise...it's also about the market that surrounds it.

This is great news for for the WiiU and hopefully Nintendo will keep the foot on the gas through January and February. This is where the Virtual Console (that people actually want) comes in handy, to basically fill in the gaps between major retail releases.

Frodo

Merry Christmas,GAF!

Late to the thread, but glad Wii U managed to cross 100k. Truly a Christmas miracle! I just hope these new owners start buying games for the platform.That would be the true miracle... :)

Busaiku

I would think the opposite, since most launches have been severely supply constrained (IIRC). But, I honestly have no clue.
This is true I guess.
I think the only times hardware makers have supplied enough were Vita and Wii U.
What about a Nintendo handeheld's sales falling nearly 50% the year Pokemon comes out?

Animal Crossing is a bigger system seller?
I dunno.

But this is technically its 3rd holiday!

I feel like, at some point, the 3DS was such a great platform for revivals and new IPs.

Nintendo dropped the ball, they could have released more original games and brought some series back to life in full forcce, like Chibi Robo and Endless Ocean. :(

Busaiku

Nintenod shipped 1.18 million through March.
I feel like, at some point, the 3DS was such a great platform for revivals and new IPs.

Nintendo dropped the ball, they could have released more original games and brought some series back to life in full forcce, like Chibi Robo and Endless Ocean. :(
Chibi Robo's on the system though.
It was also on DS twice (didn't do amazingly), and ported to Wii.

That can't be right... o_O

It is! o_O

Media Create:

Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|  WIU  |    109.113 |     74.903 |    122.843 |    [B]824.965[/B] |    557.901 |   1.452.252 |
|  PS3  |     24.573 |     23.959 |     47.626 |    [B]819.269[/B] |  1.170.477 |   9.679.353 |

Famitsu:

Code:
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
|  WIU  |    119.159 |     72.982 |    122.356 |    [B]800.914[/B] |    561.579 |   1.439.253 |
|  PS3  |     23.493 |     23.659 |     50.216 |    [B]797.147[/B] |  1.273.078 |   9.541.480 |

Holy shit. o_O

jrDev

It is! o_O

Code:
|  WIU  |    119.159 |     72.982 |    122.356 |    [B]800.914[/B] |    561.579 |   1.439.253 |
|  PS3  |     23.493 |     23.659 |     50.216 |    [B]797.147[/B] |  1.273.078 |   9.541.480 |

Holy shit. o_O
:O what the hell happened to the ps3?
PS3 is 7 years old.
Clearly the west doesn't know this...

I certainly never expected to be able to say that Wii U outsold PS3 in 2013 after the abysmal sales throughout the year.

Edit: It's true in MC as well. Wow.

Edit 2: Take a look at last week:

MC:

Code:
|  WIU  |     74.903 |     48.762 |    126.916 |   [B] 715.852[/B] |    435.058 |   1.343.139 |
|  PS3  |     23.959 |     24.085 |     42.976 |    [B]794.696[/B] |  1.122.851 |   9.654.780 |

Famitsu:

Code:
|  WIU  |     72.982 |     46.773 |    130.653 |    [B]681.755[/B] |    439.223 |   1.320.094 |
|  PS3  |     23.659 |     22.762 |     46.111 |    [B]773.654[/B] |  1.222.862 |   9.517.987 |

Especially in Famitsu, the gap was pretty big, talk about winning by a nose. A come from behind victory as it were.

Top Bottom