• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2013 (Dec 16 - Dec 22)

Takao

Banned
Is local multiplayer removed? I would assume that's still the most popular method for multiplayer.
I'd also assume that you wouldn't be able to share saves, so the PS3 version could not be offered as a supplement to the 3DS version, but only as a replacement.

Though I guess it couldn't hurt if the port was cheap. It's been on the 3DS long enough; anyone who would be interested in it on the PS3 and hasn't gotten the 3DS version probably never will.

I was referring to a console port with the local multiplayer comment.

Well doesn't Nintendo distribute and promote MH in the west? They'd be losing that if they went for multiplat I guess...

I'm pretty sure Capcom has the means to do both of those by themselves.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm pretty sure Capcom has the means to do both of those by themselves.

Obviously, but if Nintendo does it for them..

I mean, I don't really disagree with you, especially if we are looking at Japan, but I'm skeptical Monster Hunter can ever do much better than it is doing in the West.

Kandinsky

Capcom also knows how to port 3DS games to PS3. I think it would be foolish for Capcom to keep MH4 HD exclusive to Wii U. There's no local multiplayer to worry about, and there's a very real shot of selling better on other platforms.
Lol what would be the point w'o a Sony portable version to transfer with? :(

It's possible that the Wii U port of 3G was meant for overseas audiences. We had previously heard statements from Capcom that Monster Hunter fans in the West preferred the games on consoles with online. Wasn't voice chat added for the North American launch?

Last I saw, the Wii U version of 3 Ultimate was performing worse than the 3DS version despite that. Now that 4 has online play on 3DS, that's a selling point removed from the HD versions. If it's not a better version and it's not going to sell more, what's the need for an HD version at all? Just push the 3DS version instead.

Monster Hunter 3G HD Ver. in Japan does have voice chat since day 1. What they added with an update was off-TV play support in all regions, and then the European / American online servers were merged.

CAPCOM called the HD version a “smash hit” on Wii U with more than 500,000 copies sold.

MH4 does have online play but still no voice chat, no dual analog stick natively on 3DS and the 240p graphics.

Takao

Banned
Obviously, but if Nintendo does it for them..

I mean, I don't really disagree with you, especially if we are looking at Japan, but I'm skeptical Monster Hunter can ever do much better than it is doing in the West.

Do you think the people that bought MH3G on Wii U will still own that platform by this time next year?

Capcom also knows how to port 3DS games to PS3. I think it would be foolish for Capcom to keep MH4 HD exclusive to Wii U. There's no local multiplayer to worry about, and there's a very real shot of selling better on other platforms.
Oh you are right, for some reason I thought MH3U ran on some random engine, but Capcom used MT Framework, same for Ex Trooper and Revelations.

A multi platform release would obviously sell more, but I would understand if Capcom decides to make MH4HD exclusive to Wii U. And it's not like it's going to bomb.

Paraplegics at least try their hardest and have people supporting them. WiiU can't even do that and has next to zero support.
His comparison was bad but you took it to the next level.
lRBkQQ3.gif

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Stop being a dick. Paraplegics at least try their hardest and have people supporting them. WiiU can't even do that and has next to zero support. Its nothing like "winning a paraplegic race" which I love how you think is meaningless. SMH

Weak sauce banter :p

dolemite

Nintendo should develop a Mario-themed monster hunter game exclusively for WiiU. Ganging up on a giant bowser would be epic.

Nintendo should develop a Mario-themed monster hunter game exclusively for WiiU. Ganging up on a giant bowser would be epic.

What about... Fossil Hunter (Fossil Fighters X Monster Hunter), you hunt only dinosaurs and dig up items and fossils for a museum... or something.

Do you think the people that bought MH3G on Wii U will still own that platform by this time next year?
What do you mean? Are you saying MH4 HD could sell less than MH3G HD?

Because I can see it selling more for a variety of reasons. MH3G (both on 3DS and Wii U) was pretty much unnecessary for anyone who lives in Japan, especially with MHP3 selling 5 million copies.

Here in the west it was a great game because we never got MHP3 (the real "G" expansion of the third generation).

donny2112

Unless u mean MH3U of course.

No, he meant MH3GHD.

If you're going to get on someone for using the wrong acronym, it helps to not mess up the acronym yourself when replying. Chris1964 uses the U.S. title in the thread, but the game is actually called Monster Hunter 3 G HD Version in Japan. :)

Sega's Nagoshi talks F2P on 3DS: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/27/sega-will-release-f2p-games-nintendo-3ds-initial-d/

“We don’t intend to stop with this title [Initial D], and after looking over its results, we’ll think about what to do next, however, unlike games for smartphones, I believe there’s a perfect shape of ways to do things, somewhere out there, for the Nintendo 3DS. I believe that finding it will be our challenge, and in many ways, Initial D will be our first step. At the moment, I can say that we’ve been thinking about plenty of things. We have suggestions amongst ourselves like ‘wouldn’t this be a perfect game for a F2P title on Nintendo 3DS’ and many more. So when the time comes to talk about it… we’ll just leave it at that for now.”

Puru

When i think about it a MH4HD on PS4 might be an interesting choice if they want to put the thing on a home console. Could even play it on a vita thanks to remote play.
That's if the PS4 actually does well in Japan though, but if the main target is the western audience then it's the best bet.

Takao

Banned
Speaking of SEGA F2P games, I'm sure you wouldn't have guessed which game topped the F2P J-PSN top download chart of 2013:

1) [PSV] Phantasy Star Online 2 (SEGA)
2) [PS3] Tekken Revolution (Namco Bandai)
3) [PS3] Dust: 514 (CCP Games)
4) [PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam: Battle Operation (Namco Bandai)
5) [PSV] Kaku-San-Sei Million Arthur (Square Enix)
6) [PS3] Power Pro Stadium (Konami)
7) [PSV] Samurai & Dragons (SEGA)
8) [PSV] Power Pro Stadium (Konami)
9) [PS3] Spartacus: Legends (Ubisoft)
10) [PS3] Joysound Dive (Xing)

http://www.jp.playstation.com/psn/store/sp/131227storerank2013/?ref=rss

What do you mean? Are you saying MH4 HD could sell less than MH3G HD?

Because I can see it selling more for a variety of reasons. MH3G (both on 3DS and Wii U) was pretty much unnecessary for anyone who lives in Japan, especially with MHP3 selling 5 million copies.

Here in the west it was a great game because we never got MHP3 (the real "G" expansion of the third generation).

I could see MH4HD selling better on Wii U than MH3GHD did in Japan, but I doubt that would occur internationally. I feel like MH3GHD benefited a lot from the Wii U's limited software selection at a time when people were still waiting to see if things would improve. Outside of the MH faithful, and the curious Nintendo fan I'm not sure the audience that made MH3GHD such a "smash hit" will be there in late 2014.

Just so no one gets mad, I'm not saying Capcom shouldn't release MH4HD on Wii U. It should sell well enough just on that platform to justify its existence. I'm saying Capcom should look to a multi-platform approach.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'll post more when I can confirm this with someone who speaks Japanese, but there's a ton of information about future projects in 4Gamer's end of year developer interviews.

We already have a thread about how the next Ace Attorney game is in development (3DS) presumably and the next Shu Takumi project as well (which sounds separate from AA5), but if Google is doing a decent job there are also things like Kawazu saying they intend to have a bunch of SaGa initiatives for its 25th anniversary (2014) and that the Bravely Default series' future depends on how Bravely Second goes.

There's a lot more too, but since we try to avoid google translate I'll wait before posting more.

Here is page 5 of the article however (where the Square Enix stuff I just mentioned is)in case someone speaks Japanese: http://www.4gamer.net/games/000/G000000/20131213085/index_5.html

-MB-

No, he meant MH3GHD.

If you're going to get on someone for using the wrong acronym, it helps to not mess up the acronym yourself when replying. Chris1964 uses the U.S. title in the thread, but the game is actually called Monster Hunter 3 G HD Version in Japan. :)

Yet he didnt say MH3GHD at all, just 3G, so hes still wrong then.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Maybe the first Zelda in a long time to have any impact in Japan?

It's Christmas time and it'd being released on the 3DS, if it doesn't manage to make a dent under those circumstances, the series really is dead in Japan. Even Luigi's mansion 2 is approaching a million there

Zelda is perched at #1 on Amazon, I love it.

And looking at Yodobashi, FFX is definitely moving some Vitas, could it sell more than last week? (there's a bundle too)

DaBoss

The real question is...will the Vita outsell the 3DS thanks to the
beloved
FFX?

Too bad suppadoopa is banned. :(

maxiell

The Zelda timing is looking pretty smart right now.

I always wondered why more publishers didn't target immediately post-Christmas for one release. Given how many people are in stores spending gift cards it would probably work damn well in most markets.

Zelda is perched at #1 on Amazon, I love it.

And looking at Yodobashi, FFX is definitely moving some Vitas, could it sell more than last week? (there's a bundle too)
Its good to see Zelda selling well. And with the attention Hyrule Warriors brought, there's a hungry audience for the franchise on Nintendo hardware.

Asd202

Holy Cow at FE:A godly numbers. Now by putting FE X SMT on Wii U they are severely limiting it sales and may destroy the momentum FE has after Awakening.

Riki

Holy Cow at FE:A godly numbers. Now by putting FE X SMT on Wii U they are severely limiting it sales and may destroy the momentum FE has after Awakening.
At the same time, they're trying to keep a floundering console going.
Otherwise we should just put everything on phones and PCs.

Asd202

FE X SMT will bomb on WiiU and it may put FE back in jeopardy. I'd rather have the series survive than go back to pre Awakening numbers and problems.

sörine

Banned
Those historical Nintendo totals are amazing. Who knew SE Osaka's Mario Sports games outsold their Kingdom Hearts games!

Because they prefer to rerelease their old games in formats that allow them to sell at full price? Meaning mostly remakes, the closest to something like a VC release was the I~III collection disc for Wii.

2800 yen for a smartphone game is pretty expensive also.
DQ and DQII on iOS are only 500 yen though and in line with Virtual Console pricing. I could see the FC/SFC/GBC games finally come to VC for 500/1000/600 yen each. Maybe the PS1 titles on Game Archives too at the more premium pricepoint of 1500 yen each.

Premium pricing used to be why SE never used these retro services before but that's clearly changing now with their smartphone/tablet rollout.

Hellraider

They sure are doing it wrong if they are trying to keep WiiU from drowning with a crossover game. It never made and still doesn't make any sense for it to be a WiiU game. It's a game that needs both of these franchises to be on the console and fans getting it in order to make their entry to the other franchise. It should have been a 3DS game from day 1.

Just like Zelda Musou will also be pointless.

Disclaimer: This is not a "WiiU should not get games" thing. It just happens that both of these examples are pretty similar and they both happen to be for WiiU.

sörine

Banned
Speaking of Zelda Musou I'm a little surprised there's no 3DS version. 3DS seemed to be a decent little system for selling Musou games originally and Koei's completely let it go.

Alrus

sörine;95052301 said:
Speaking of Zelda Musou I'm a little surprised there's no 3DS version. 3DS seemed to be a decent little system for selling Musou games originally and Koei's completely let it go.

The only Musou game on it that did just okay was Samurai Warriors Chronicles. The sequel bombed and so did Dynasty Warriors Versus.

And the Wii U need exclusives...

Oregano

The only Musou game on it that did just okay was Samurai Warriors Chronicles. The sequel bombed and so did Dynasty Warriors Versus.

I think Chronicles 2nd was kind of like SK Burst, not a full sequel. I think it still did like 70K. DW vs megabombed though.

Except it wasnt a sequel. It was a rerelease of the first game with more contents. While Dynasty Warriors Versus... well iirc, was kinda lacking content since it had no campaign or such.

Top Bottom