• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Median home price in San Francisco hits 7 figures for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoops, misread. Looks like 1brs average $1,514/month across all of Oakland. Lake Merritt is likely higher since it is a nice area

oaklandis-thumb-560x513.png

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2014/04/oakland_rent_isnt_cheap.php

Oakland is already in the top 11? Geeez. Dat SF spillover.

Whoops, misread. Looks like 1brs average $1,514/month across all of Oakland. Lake Merritt is likely higher since it is a nice area

oaklandis-thumb-560x513.png

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2014/04/oakland_rent_isnt_cheap.php

Looks like Irvine, CA is the place to be based on that chart.

Gentrification drove me out of Washington DC a few years ago but it was my own fault. I had the means to buy property when the prices were low but I was too young and stupid to want to handle the responsibility :/

Several of my friends who were more sensible did buy property back in the 90's and are real estate millionaires now.

LOL, no I've never been. Why is that median income so high btw?

Like San Jose or Oakland with regards to SF, Irvine is within driving distance to LA. People with good jobs in the city move out to the adjacent cities to save on housing prices, causing gradual price creep.

Blearth

Banned
I'm fucked.

I'm born and raised here. It's not like I can just give up and move back to Oklahoma or whatever. My whole life is here. Everyone I know is here.

It's either pay through the nose for rent or live with my parents. :(

Like San Jose or Oakland with regards to SF, Irvine is within driving distance to LA. People with good jobs in the city move out to the adjacent cities to save on housing prices, causing gradual price creep.

Ah OK, Thanks.

Sounds kind of like my situation living outside of DC except that I'm so close it's like an extension of the main city. As soon as you cross that border the property values drop like a rock, crazy stuff. It reminds me of that one Bugs Bunny cartoon where the Mason-Dixon line is all green and beautiful on one side and all barren wasteland on the other :(

Ah OK, Thanks.

Sounds kind of like my situation living outside of DC except that I'm so close it's like an extension of the main city. As soon as you cross that border the property values drop like a rock, crazy stuff. It reminds me of that one Bugs Bunny cartoon where the Mason-Dixon line is all green and beautiful on one side and all barren wasteland on the other :(

Hoboken and Jersey City are the same way. Though Jersey is already expensive as hell, living within 20 min transit to Manhattan has its price.

I lived in the Marina and then Russian Hill for a year and a half. My rent was 4k a month for a single bedroom. I made good money, but the neighborhoods, although nice looking, was kinda quiet and boring. I didn't feel the high rent was worth it. I live back in NYC now where I am much happier. I work in healthcare, not tech.

Tech N9ne, and you can see clear across the state? Sign me up.

And you didn't mention BBQ.

Ha! I knew I was forgetting one of our big guns!! I can't believe I left that out, lol.

Multiple BBQ places in every neighborhood... even at Royals games, the hot dogs look like this:

null_zps0f64e496.jpg

Oh man, living in California...

I tried moving to San Francisco around 2000, but the job situation never worked out. So, I ended up back in LA, and eventually the Central Coast (Ventura). As crappy as the real estate market was and is becoming again down here, it pales in comparison.

Wish I could live down in the Southern states, where I could buy a 5000 square foot lakeside mansion for what I'm paying for 2477 square feet now. But, then I would be in the South. Couldn't do it.

see5harp

I imagining 3 google software engineers living in a studio sharing a hotplate.

Not even that far from the truth. His roommates both work at Square. They transferred from Google. My best friend has family that just bought in San Jose. 1.2 million for 1000 square feet. They are both physicians and are barely making ends meet.

Slayven

Not even that far from the truth. His roommates both work at Square. They transferred from Google. My best friend has family that just bought in San Jose. 1.2 million for 1000 square feet. They are both physicians and are barely making ends meet.

Shame for people to be house poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom