• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legends 3 axed; Capcom blames fans/goes insane, [Fans Start Support Group]

nullset2

AceBandage said:
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/320842_192745480797233_100001853472457_443522_1825268453_n.jpg

wat

That's a terrible, terrible typography choice for a message like that.

Boney said:
Clover's demise was worse

Not to mention stuff like Yokoi dying.

I understand people being upset that their niche title was cancelled (well, if you can call halting a project that was never even greenlit "cancelled"), but "the worst day in gaming history" is hyperbole of the highest order.

Then again, I guess you need to be a special kind of crazy to send something like that to a newspaper (assuming it's real).

Boney

Banned
Roto13 said:
Yes. Yes, yes, yes. At least they popped up again as Platinum Games, though.
we didn't know at the time, so uncertainty lingered in the air

as for Yu Suzuki, there's no actual date involved, so it's even worse, we can't mourn him

Zen

Banned
Oh comic sans, what a tortured existence.

Inafune Doesn’t Know “If Anybody Will Have the Guts to Fight Against the Company Right Now”
Posted on September 21st, 2011 by LBD "Nytetrayn"

Transformers: The Movie, this ain’t.

…the old one, we mean. Pre-Michael Bay. 1986.

In that movie, when Autobot leader Optimus Prime died (spoilers), his last words were that “one day, an Autobot shall rise from our ranks and use the power of the Matrix to light our darkest hour.”

On the other side of things, this is reality, and while former Capcom development leader Keiji Inafune has not passed on, he did leave the company, much to the disappointment of many fans. As noted again recently, he had hoped to be able to continue two of the games he had left unfinished with Capcom, Mega Man Universe and Mega Man Legends 3, under the banner of his new company, Comcept. Instead, he was told “that won’t be necessary,” and months later, the projects were both scrapped, much to his disappointment.

More recently, Joystiq spoke to Inafune at the Tokyo Game Show, where instead of pointing fingers and casting blame, he instead reflected on how difficult it was to get Mega Man Legends 3 started in the first place.

“The two projects were really hard to even get started, because the title is kind of old,” he said in reference to Mega Man Legends 3. “We were bringing it back. It wasn’t easy for me to get the go ahead from the company, I was fighting against the company, and now it’s been canceled.”

To bring the Transformers: The Movie analogy full-circle, Inafune’s hope is that someone will rise from the ranks at Capcom, pick up the torch, and fight on for the project in his stead. However, he is not especially confident that such a thing will happen. “I don’t know if anybody will have the guts to fight against the company right now,” he admitted.

If such a person were to exist, however, they currently remain unknown. And while there was no Matrix-passing involved or blue lights shining upon a chosen one, Inafune noted that he left behind “a really good team,” any one of which could potentially emerge as a future leader within the company. “I didn’t choose anyone,” he points out, “but I’m kind of hoping that someone will come forth.”

…and light our darkest hour, with Mega Man Legends 3… right?

Thanks to Mainfinger for passing this along.

Boney

Banned
Cool thing about Inafune. It's just great that he helds the series in such high regard as do their fans.

Codeblue said:
If we've lost Boney, we've lost the war.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we should bury this under a rug and move on, but people thinking this will be greenlight should get a reality check.

Hopefully planets align and we can get a spiritual succesor in some shape or form.

Emitan

Gravijah said:
Sega burying Yu Suzuki is the worst. No contest.
Yokoi was fucking murdered in broad daylight. You know it was an inside job. He created the Gameboy, which makes him the best person ever. He just wanted to make children happy :(

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Boney said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we should bury this under a rug and move on, but people thinking this will be greenlight should get a reality check.

Hopefully planets align and we can get a spiritual succesor in some shape or form.
The very moment they announced the cancellation, all hope was lost. I could hardly believe their claims that this was getting made in the first place, were it not for video evidence.

I have filled my heart with hate.

Boney

Banned
luka said:
The very moment they announced the cancellation, all hope was lost. I could hardly believe their claims that this was getting made in the first place, were it not for video evidence.

I have filled my heart with hate.
hug me

:(

B.K.

ShockingAlberto said:
I feel like the only real possibility this game comes back is if they haven't thrown away everything they've done and 3DS does gangbusters this holiday.

They still wouldn't bring it back. Capcom had no intention from the beginning of ever releasing the game.

Emitan

ShockingAlberto said:
I feel like the only real possibility this game comes back is if they haven't thrown away everything they've done and 3DS does gangbusters this holiday.
You know Capcom better than that.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Fuck "maybe". Remember when they said about "still keeping Tatsunoko" license? We simply got Gatchaman advertising MPH3DS.

Ookami-kun said:
Fuck "maybe". Remember when they said about "still keeping Tatsunoko" license? We simply got Gatchaman advertising MPH3DS.

Meh, I sincerely doubt Svvenson would vaguely tease a new Tatsunoko project as a a barely related, Japan-only promo (I think they'd at LEAST do some kind of in-game cross promotion item like how Gatchapin was going to be playable in MM Universe. Speaking of which, wouldn't mind seeing that project rise from the grave and re-worked somehow.

Anyway, not getting my hopes up. I wouldn't mind a fresh new take on Megaman as long as it's not something like DMC or Bomberman Zero.

Utako

Banned
ughh, stop bumping this thread! It simultaneously makes me:

1) Relive the pain of MML3's cancellation
2) Think of Inafune. I hate that guy
and
3) Salts the wound of 3DS buyer's remorse

Utako

Banned
Berordn said:
Why? He had your hopes in mind! Hopes of a future with Legends 3!
...and then he left Capcom for pussy reasons, and it was cancelled. He should have made it his opus before closing that door.

He dresses like an asshole also.

Boney

Banned
oh god this hurts so bad

mml3dborman.png

Utako said:
...and then he left Capcom for pussy reasons, and it was cancelled. He should have made it his opus before closing that door.

Pussy reasons? He was incredibly unhappy with how capcom was ran, and wasn't able to do much to change it.

Berordn

It's not like him staying with Capcom would have guaranteed the game got made, or anything. When he asked to stay on the project as an external contractor he was denied. And given the whirlwind of terrible decisions Capcom's made recently, leaving was probably the right choice.

Roto13

Utako said:

He left Capcom because it was a horrible place for him to be working. You expect someone to stick with a job they hate so you can have a sequel to a game that nobody outside of this thread gives a shit about in the first place. (Which, by the way, he tried to keep working on after leaving Capcom but they simply wouldn't let him.)

You post like an asshole also.

Top Bottom