• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Memes you're getting tired of

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira28

I'm tired of people over-using the term meme outside the internet.

lethial said:
Wait, let me get this straight. People say meme outside of the internet? I've never heard anybody ever say it.

You two do know that the idea of meme and mimetic device and viral spreading came long before the web and the internet as we know it today, of course.

Probably already been posted, but I really dislike all variations of 'DAT ASS'. I don't even mind the original one, but every time I read 'DAT' this and 'DAT' that ...

akira28

op_ivy said:
war _____

no dude. war anything is cool. I still have no idea where Jim Rome came up with that, or if he in fact, did. But saying war something still sounds kind of cool.

fake edit: no it doesn't :(
not unless your name is Scottie Furrell or Jim Rome.

Eiji

Finaika said:

k128901_l_2b5ba835042d0b3fa842caf1d0c5d329.jpg

I know

akira28 said:
Hasn't salty always been a normal slang term for someone who is surly and full of protestation? I mean I've heard it used in northern cities like Jersey and NYc.

nah, it's more like when something bad happens or doesn't turn out great for somebody and they gets pissed or frustrated about it. Usually you call them "salty" in a mocking/joking tone.

"[your favorite sports team] just got the shit beaten out of it"

"shut the fuck up man, I know."

"Awwwww, you're salty!"

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Chaz Ashley said:
Probably already been posted, but I really dislike all variations of 'DAT ASS'. I don't even mind the original one, but every time I read 'DAT' this and 'DAT' that ...

10000000000000 times over, yes, this. "Dat" is just idiotic. "DAT FREE THROW." Come on.

Chaz Ashley said:
*points and refers to the "a man touched me so I punched him" thread*

TL4E

Grizzlyjin said:
Self diagnosed Asperger's syndrome. I see it on the internet so often that it mind as well be a meme.
This, and the general trend of self-diagnosis on the internet. Most people that would read the criteria for, say, social anxiety disorder would fit some of the requirements and might become paranoid because of it. They fail to understand that they're not at all qualified to diagnose themselves.

flyover

The trend of people following pithy statements with "That is all."

If what you said is truly clever, then ending with a simple "." should do the trick.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Chuck Norris facts. I hated that people were glorifying an ignorant, right wing extremist. Fortunately, that meme has pretty much died.

Shurs

Not a meme, but I am sick of the overuse of the word "hyperbole."

I've never found the "Forever Alone" bit funny. The "You're already dead" thing is a non-starter.

Jaroof

Definitely meme faces.
And I'm glad I haven't seen much of pedobear anymore. I hate Pedobear.
I didn't find anything that had pedobear in it funny.

akira28 said:
no dude. war anything is cool. I still have no idea where Jim Rome came up with that, or if he in fact, did. But saying war something still sounds kind of cool.

fake edit: no it doesn't :(
not unless your name is Scottie Furrell or Jim Rome.

It comes from the Auburn cheer or "war eagle", when fans would say that then some of the callers started to "war" whatever they felt needed to be cheered.

Puddles

Banned
One thing I'm FUCKING SICK of is the whole "Nice OP!!!" thing that ruins the first few pages of every official thread these days.

The whole system is fucking sickening. A bunch of people in a preview thread argue about who gets the privilege of creating an OT. That guy then makes a huge production out of it and puts a ton of custom images and bullshit into what should be a launching pad for discussion.

If it were up to me, "Nice OP!" and all replies of the sort would be an instant ban, and no one would ever "reserve" OT-creation privileges. There would be a set period when OTs could be created (2 weeks before the release of whatever it was), and if multiple threads appeared at midnight on that day, all but one would eventually die off on their own (and if they didn't, they could always be locked).

Puddles said:
One thing I'm FUCKING SICK of is the whole "Nice OP!!!" thing that ruins the first few pages of every official thread these days.

The whole system is fucking sickening. A bunch of people in a preview thread argue about who gets the privilege of creating an OT. That guy then makes a huge production out of it and puts a ton of custom images and bullshit into what should be a launching pad for discussion.

If it were up to me, "Nice OP!" and all replies of the sort would be an instant ban, and no one would ever "reserve" OT-creation privileges. There would be a set period when OTs could be created (2 weeks before the release of whatever it was), and if multiple threads appeared at midnight on that day, all but one would eventually die off on their own (and if they didn't, they could always be locked).
Nice post

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Puddles said:

I like the cut of your jib!

Meme I'm tired of... people saying fail or epic fail IRL... just painful.

Defuser said:
PC master race/ console peasant.

Y'know, I was going to go and post this after seeing that one topic on gaming. I think this is the only meme that has seriously pissed me off to the point where I pretty much nearly lost all interest PC gaming [and gaming itself to an extent] in general because of it. No, I don't care if you're using it in an ironic way, it still pisses me off. I was under the impression that PC gamers were supposed to be a lot more mature than their console counterparts, but I guess I was wrong in that regard.

And honestly, I think I have some thick skin when it comes to stupid things like this after recovering from Sonic fandom nonsense.

alphaNoid said:
Is it bad that I say, "U Jelly?" all the fucking time (IRL)? lol. I do it purposely to be obnoxious though, because thats how I roll.

for your sake, I am going to be honest and tell you this would never be funny in real life.

anything relating to cakes and lies. the fact that some people still act like "the cake is a lie" is funny is just ridiculous.

also, this is more /v/ related, but if I see "I seriously hope you guys don't do this" with THAT FUCKING FACE again I will choke someone

also, the term trolling when used improperly. oh, what's that, you disagree with me? LOL STOP TROLLING

especially wtf/rage-worthy when people say lol u mad troll? I mean, really.

lastly, x amount of people are _____, on a video with x dislikes. so many of them are just so fucking stupid.

Reedit stick figure people like forever alone, troll dad and troll physics. Where are the creepy seinfeld wax figure threads or guy holds woman hostage with a SMS light gun epic photoshop threads.

Palmer_v1

GillianSeed79 said:
Reedit stick figure people like forever alone, troll dad and troll physics. Where are the creepy seinfeld wax figure threads or guy holds woman hostage with a SMS light gun epic photoshop threads.

Not sure if serious...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom