• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Merkel's Migrant Nightmare: Number of refugees suing German government to Double

Status
Not open for further replies.
ASYLUM SEEKERS taking the German government to court are expected to double in number over fury they have not been granted status to bring their families over to the EU.

According to German media the number of refugees taking action against Mrs Merkel’s government could reach tens of thousands as they dispute being given partial asylum status, known as subsidiary protection.

Around 15,000 of the challengers are Syrian, who before March 2016 were offered full protection en-masse. In Berlin figures could quadruple from 2,300 to more than 9,000 court cases, and is predicted to rise from 21,300 to 47,300 North Rhine-Westphalia.

Recent staff increases were not sufficient to be able to process the legal complaints, it is claimed as they flood in to court.

It’s unclear how the lawsuits will affect the German Chancellor’s popularity.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/75...n-government-Merkel-Migrants-Nightmare-Europe

Nobody saw this coming /s

But the partial status which means they are safe from being deported, includes a two year ban on families coming to join them.

In the first eight months of this year 90 per cent of refugees who challenged the subsidiary protection status won their case and were granted full rights under the Geneva Refugee Convention.
So pretty much everyone can get their family over to Germany if one arrives there, meaning tens to hundreds of thousands of extra people.

Why didn't we take families directly from the UN programs instead of having them jump on a boat, die by the thousands on the sea and then go through all these legal proceedings?

Why didn't we take families directly from the UN programs instead of having them jump on a boat, die by the thousands on the sea and then go through all these legal proceedings?

One thing I don't know is that what is the legal ground for the refugees here? Which law is the German gov violating for not immediately accepting all the families?

One thing I don't know is that what is the legal ground for the refugees here? Which law is the German gov violating for not immediately accepting all the families?

Off the top of my head, it might be a human rights law, "right to a family life"? Considering they're refugees and not opportunist economic migrants plus they where invited / open border policy, I can see how Germany would lose the case.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Oh those comments. Racist Brexit clowns in full effect again, I see.

Ishan

Refugees get straight citizen status ? Asking because for example as on a visa in us I get many rights but def not similar to a citizen . Are refugees processed as visa status or citizen status because that would allow/disallow for various legal arguments ? Plus sueing seemed s very american thing ...

Prototype

Nobody saw this coming /s

So pretty much everyone can get their family over to Germany if one arrives there, meaning tens to hundreds of thousands of extra people.

The people who die on the way don't have to be paid for.
Brutal truth.
You think these governments don't know this? They *want* people to die, and cull the numbers.

Off the top of my head, it might be a human rights law, "right to a family life"? Considering they're refugees and not opportunist economic migrants plus they where invited / open border policy, I can see how Germany would lose the case.
It's weird how Syrian refugees are included in the mentioned subsidiary protection, as they seem to be winning the cases they sue. In my experience your status as a asylum seeker is determined by the situation in your home country, i.e. if you're fleeing from war, you're a refugee, fleeing from other dangers would grant something similar to the subsidary protection.
In the first eight months of this year 90 per cent of refugees who challenged the subsidiary protection status won their case and were granted full rights under the Geneva Refugee Convention.
If that's true then it would've been fairly easy to exempt Syrian refugees from whatever it is they're suing against. So I guess there are reasons for Germany not doing that! (also the source seems sketchy?)

It's also in violation of the Convention on the Rights of the Child but Germany has made reservations regarding immigrants and family reunification so watcha gonna do.
Refugees get straight citizen status ? Asking because for example as on a visa in us I get many rights but def not similar to a citizen . Are refugees processed as visa status or citizen status because that would allow/disallow for various legal arguments ? Plus sueing seemed s very american thing ...
I don't know German law but that seems highly unlikely going by the standard in other European countries. Becoming a citizen should take several years and beyond that may include how well you've integrated (job, family, etc.).

Also we sue for lots of things! Though usually it's against the state, or rather it's the state against the state for breaking it's own laws.

The Daily Express should be a banned source. Utter trash newspaper on par with the Daily Mail.
If you're going to use it, please provide another independent source.

Daily express is like the daily mail.
Look ar the wording jn thst article. Jesus.

The Daily Express should be a banned source. Utter trash newspaper on par with the Daily Mail.
If you're going to use it, please provide another independent source.

Deutsche Welle: http://www.dw.com/en/thousands-of-refugees-are-suing-germany/a-37004504

The Independent: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-angela-merkel-anti-immigration-a7368551.html

Jasup

No, refugees don't get citizen status, they get a refugee status which basically translates to being a legal resident. In this case the refugees don't have full citizen rights like voting in certain elections, but they have pretty much the right to live a normal life. This also means that their rights are covered in the ECHR.

kess

412NR5CUxbL._SL500_AA300_.png

Shiggy

At the same time, we have refugees using multiple identities to cash in the monthly money several times. In a single German state, there have been 300 such cases discovered already. Damage: 3-5 mio EUR

Shiggy

Welp, sad to read. Should be said though that this is a very, very small minority. 300 cases in a state that probably got like 100,000 refugees in 2015.

Minimum 300, the article mentions that they have huge trouble even finding these cases. And it's 100000 refugees registered, it might be a bit less if there are some with up to 10 identities ;)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Minimum 300, the article mentions that they have huge trouble even finding these cases. And it's 100000 refugees registered, it might be a bit less if there are some with up to 10 identities ;)

Oh cool are we allowed to imagine extra crimes now?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
You can't sue a country for enforcing it's borders.

We're taking as many as we have to, thanks for the concern though.

I apologize, shouldn't have singled out the UK.
What I intended to emphasize is that Germany is doing much more to take in and integrate refugees than other western nations and as such having to deal with this many lawsuits seems counterproductive.

I can definitely understand those suing on an emotional level. Especially when it appears such lawsuits have the desired effect.

At the same time, we have refugees using multiple identities to cash in the monthly money several times. In a single German state, there have been 300 such cases discovered already.
Damage: 3-5 mio EUR

Yeah, remember when Russian-led care facilities exploited the German health care system?

Damage: 1 Billion EUR / year
http://www.br.de/nachrichten/russische-pflegedienste-betrug-100.html

Just to put things in perspective.

So, there are criminals amongst the immigrants, and according to official statistics this is a specific issue for people from Northern Africa (Maghreb states), while people from other countries, especially from Syria, have a very low share of criminals amongst them. And those are the ones who will eventually bring their families to Germany, not the ones from Maghreb states.

The Daily Express is not a credible news source. The owner Richard Desmond is a UKIP donor. The paper serves no purpose other than to 1: terrify old people, and 2: make The Daily Mail seem slightly less shit. Also The Daily Express only ever has eight headlines:

Immigrants
Freak weather
Benefit cheats
Maddie
Diana
House prices
Miracle cure
X gives you cancer

If The Daily Mail is a banned source (and it absolutely should be) then there's no way The Daily Express should get a pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom