• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Official Website is Live

The site said:
Retracing 16 years of history, the PlayStation-Exclusive "Déjà Vu" mission brings players back to the 1998 PlayStation classic "METAL GEAR SOLID". In an age when graphics were limited to blocky pixelated polygons, METAL GEAR SOLID set new standards in videogame storytelling with its memorable characters, cinematic presentation, and complex story. Relive the most memorable moments of the past with this Sony-exclusive mission on PlayStation®3 and PlayStation®4. Past and present collide as the characters and camera angles you remember from the 16-year old classic are brought to life the high-fidelity world of MGS:GZ!

So I wonder if the PS-exclusive thing is actually the first part of Shadow Moses recreated in the FOX engine. The trailer at the PS4 event made it look like you'd just be playing the same GZ mission we've seen over and over but with BB and Chico's models replaced with PSX Snake and DARPA Chief, but this makes it sound like something more substantial. In the screenshots you can see regular soldiers reskinned as Genome Soldiers, and the Mother Base helicopter wearing Hind D camouflage.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Looks like there is a metallic version of the figure:
BZGIQ21CQAEFo4a.jpg:large

MC_Hify

So what do you guys think. Is Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain a Use Your Illusion-style double album or are they going to be part 1 and 2 of the same game?

DiamondDogs

Neo Member
I seriously don't understand Konami's decision to bundle an Xbox 360 edition of Ground Zeroes for Japan (which won't sell) and not announce a PS4 (and X1) bundle for North America yet.

I would order a PS4 bundle of Ground Zeroes if it was offered in Canada. Hope it is because that console box is sexy.

Ground Zeroes isn't a part of The Phantom Pain, but it's a part of MGS V.

I guess you could say it's MGS 4.5 unless I'm mistaken.

Just think of Ground Zeroes as part 1 of MGSV and The Phantom Pain as part 2 of MGSV.

The only important thing being that The Phantom Pain is far, far, far larger than Ground Zeroes, which is serving a tutorial for the new gameplay elements found in Phantom Pain.

Thanks guys.

This sounds hokey as shit.

efeman

Banned
So, if I'm understanding this right, GZ is a short game that's definitely coming out this spring, assuming at a low price point. Or is it a full-featured game that just happens to be smaller than TPP?

And then later in the year? 2015? we get TPP?

Edit: That timeline is crazy. What not temporal linearity? :p

So, if I'm understanding this right, GZ is a short game that's definitely coming out this spring, assuming at a low price point. Or is it a full-featured game that just happens to be smaller than TPP?

And then later in the year? 2015? we get TPP?

Edit: That timeline is crazy. What not temporal linearity? :p
Yes, it's probably only a few hours of story mission (my guess) but with an unknown amount of bonus missions which use the same map at different time and weather settings.

lol. If it's not by Kojima it's not in the timeline.

Absolute truth. METAL GEAR SOLID: THE LEGACY COLLECTION is basically every canon game released in one box (bearing the name 'A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME'). So if it's not in there... Chances are it doesn't count (according to KojiPro).

Hey guys, just a heads up, we've got new videos launching on www.youtube.com/konami at 6AM PST. One recently revealed from the PS4 presentation and a slightly older, more familiar one with new English dubbing. Make sure to check them out!

Didn't know where to post this since the other thread got locked, thought it might be relevant here. There will also be new screens up from MGSV:GZ tomorrow you'll probably find everywhere. Cheers!

Alienous

So I'm guessing Konami wanted Kojima to come out with something Metal Gear Solid related, sooner rather than later.

Between this, and Pro Evo being the first title to use FOX Engine, it seems like The Phantom Pain is a long way away.

And Ground Zeroes, now Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, seems like such a confused game. It was probably a small part of Phantom Pain (go here, learn the basics of the open world, rescue Chico, rescue Paz, leave) that has now been expanded (rescue ... diplomat? Collect ... data?). It's a open-world Metal Gear Solid game ... with a mission structure?

Yeah, The Phantom Pain has to be quite far away. Probably the latter half of 2015. Ironically, if anything, the failure of Ground Zeroes might result in Konami pushing for The Phantom Pain to release earlier.

VulpX

Absolute truth. METAL GEAR SOLID: THE LEGACY COLLECTION is basically every canon game released in one box (bearing the name 'A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME'). So if it's not in there... Chances are it doesn't count (according to KojiPro).

Hey guys, just a heads up, we've got new videos launching on www.youtube.com/konami at 6AM PST. One recently revealed from the PS4 presentation and a slightly older, more familiar one with new English dubbing. Make sure to check them out!

Didn't know where to post this since the other thread got locked, thought it might be relevant here. There will also be new screens up from MGSV:GZ tomorrow you'll probably find everywhere. Cheers!
Thanks for the news, will defenitely check it out! You don't have any info regarding a western release of those sweet Premium Packages by any chance? :p

SMZC

So I'm guessing Konami wanted Kojima to come out with something Metal Gear Solid related, sooner rather than later.

Between this, and Pro Evo being the first title to use FOX Engine, it seems like The Phantom Pain is a long way away.

And Ground Zeroes, now Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, seems like such a confused game. It was probably a small part of Phantom Pain (go here, learn the basics of the open world, rescue Chico, rescue Paz, leave) that has now been expanded (rescue ... diplomat? Collect ... data?). It's a open-world Metal Gear Solid game ... with a mission structure?

Yeah, The Phantom Pain has to be quite far away. Probably the latter half of 2015. Ironically, if anything, the failure of Ground Zeroes might result in Konami pushing for The Phantom Pain to release earlier.

Agreed. This is a mess. It's going to confuse the hell out of everyone who isn't a hardcore fan of the series (we're seeing this already in every Ground Zeroes thread). They will see that a game called (deceptively) "Metal Gear Solid V" is being released and think that it is the real deal, which will possibly leave them bitter and unwilling to put down any more money by the time the actual MGSV is released. Even at a reduced price, if Ground Zeroes lasts any less than 5 hours, it has more chances of hurting MGSV than it does of helping it.

Not to mention the fact that a big reason why people get hyped for the launch of any big game is the excitement to try it out and see what the big deal is about. Giving people the possibility of playing with all of MGSV's core game mechanics months (or even years) before the actual full game is released is going to kill off a huge part of the hype for the game. It's precisely the reason why companies like Rockstar and Activision never release demos or betas for Call of Duty and GTA anymore, even though they may had done that way back (precisely when these series enjoyed less popularity).

This will probably just end up biting Konami in the ass. I don't see the long term benefit at all.

Juicy Bob

Agreed. This is a mess. It's going to confuse the hell out of everyone who isn't a hardcore fan of the series (we're seeing this already in every Ground Zeroes thread). They will see that a game called (deceptively) "Metal Gear Solid V" is being released and think that it is the real deal, which will possibly leave them bitter and unwilling to put down any more money by the time the actual MGSV is released. Even at a reduced price, if Ground Zeroes lasts any less than 5 hours, it has more chances of hurting MGSV than it does of helping it.

Not to mention the fact that a big reason why people get hyped for the launch of any big game is the excitement to try it out and see what the big deal is about. Giving people the possibility of playing with all of MGSV's core game mechanics months (or even years) before the actual full game is released is going to kill off a huge part of the hype for the game. It's precisely the reason why companies like Rockstar and Activision never release demos or betas for Call of Duty and GTA anymore, even though they may had done that way back (precisely when these series enjoyed less popularity).

This will probably just end up biting Konami in the ass. I don't see the long term benefit at all.
I like to consider myself a hardcore MGS fan and even I'm totally confused.

Persona7

Banned
I like to consider myself a hardcore MGS fan and even I'm totally confused.

I could have sworn it was confirmed that Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain were going to be like MGS2. Both acts on one disk.

This whole situation is a massive clusterfuck.

I bet that phantom pain's release will be a year away after ground zeroes release. That way, they have enough time to make necessary gameplay changes if need be

RAIDEN1

So if Ground Zero's flops, it'll be back to the drawing board for Kojima-san? I agree that it should have been included in total in MGS5 as part of the whole game.

News Bot

Banned

Not how it works.

Portable Ops is canon, it's just not written by Kojima, so he doesn't directly reference it. However, an older timeline on the official Japanese MGS site did reference it, although vaguely (FOXHOUND is formed to eradicate FOX). Happens with Resident Evil quite a lot too (Survivor and Outbreak series are canon, never really referenced because they're outside the "main" series).

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The bundaru looks alright.

Hope a similar one is coming to the US. Spring is when I plan to get a PS4.

synce

Look on the bright side, if this thing blows up in Konami's face (and I agree it most likely will), they will never do it again.

NolbertoS

Yeah, I'll wait for thr North American LE version. I'm not desperate to get a PS4 just yet. I'm sure Konami will have something planned soon

Mr. RHC

But if Ground Zeroes is a moderate success and people give feedback to Koji Pro, it might as well make The Phantom Pain an immensely improved game!

Top Bottom