• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V announced (PS360, open world)

AHA-Lambda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1Pgt8armg0A

This is the Japanese trailer on Konami's channel. The most important detail I feel is that the trailer actually has a lyric translation for the Garbage song throughout the trailer, in Japanese, on the side. This clearly indicates that for this trailer in particular, the song was picked very deliberately by Kojima for the lyrics to go with the visuals. It works really well imo.

Also, I dunno if it has been mentioned (thread's huge), but the opening scene in the trailer with Big Boss going into a coma... is actually a first person scene from another character. Miller even addresses it at the end with "what about him?" Could the entire thing be a diversion? Are we not actually playing Big Boss?

Good find about the song :)

I noticed that part at the start too with Miller and assumed it was Bandage Man, but it could be anyone; especially with the theory Bandage Man is in Snake's head.

2013-03-2721_12_56-tw8gi7p.png

Whatta bunch of cunts.

Derrick01

Banned
Whatta bunch of cunts.

Why would they ask him to do it if they didn't want him to? I mean I guess I could understand them telling him they want to move in a different direction, which again they don't HAVE to do but it would be a courtesy to him and the work he's put in over the years. But if they don't want him then of course they're not going to ask him.

jesus.. the destructive force of jaggies.... and dithering.

I don't want to play the game looking like that when i know how it can look if they release it just a few moths later.

Fezan

You can ignore Portable Ops.

Peace Walker has Big Boss found a mercenary company with young Master Miller called MSF, Militaires Sans Frontieres (Soldier Without Borders). He's hired by a Russian spy to investigate and take out out a CIA experiment in Costa Rica where they're developing the first Metal Gear, which is piloted by an AI based on The Boss's mind. After they destroy it, it turns out that Big Boss (who hates being called "Big Boss" until the end) feels betrayed by The Boss's actions in MGS3 that he now fully understands. He builds his own Metal Gear named ZEKE with the help of two scientists (including Otacon's father), but ZEKE is hijacked by another character who is revealed to be a spy for Zero and his proto-Patriots organization (then called "Cipher"). Zero wanted Big Boss to come back to the fold of the Patriots and let MSF become their tool, or die. Miller then reveals that he was receiving support from Cipher all along, but was only using them to help Big Boss build up MSF and Mother Base, their headquarters. Big Boss embraces the fact that the whole world is going to be against them, and tells his forces that they're christening MSF "Outer Heaven."
AI based on boss ?? what ?? Also why feel betrayed? the rest i get and thanks for the explanation. its much better than wiki where i was not understanding a thing. Also if outer heaven is destroyed in MGSV where did snake go at the start of MG

To anyone confused about dates:

1964: MGS3
1972: Solid and Liquid Snake are born
1974: Peace Walker/Ground Zeroes portion?
1983: MGSV/TPP
1995: MG1
1999: MG2
2005: MGS1
2007: MGS2 Tanker
2009: MGS2 Plant
2014: MGS4
2018: MGR:R

I'm confused. If Ground Zeros is a prologue to TTP, why does TTP open with a tutorial? Or is GZ only a prologue in the story-sense, not in a first-thing-you'll-play sense?

Maybe the game starts with the hospital section --> escape with "Ocelot" --> Big Boss brought somewhere to get a replacement arm --> flashback to playable Ground Zeroes segment showing how BB ended up in a coma --> flash forward to "present day" mid 80s with new and improved BB and Diamond Dogs being started. "The Phantom Pain" stems from his missing arm and unraveling whatever mystery happened in the 9 year coma.

And for all you guys know, David Hayter is swerving everyone along with Kojima. Young Solid Snake probably pops up at the end of the game setting the scene for a Metal Gear remake.

duckroll

I'm confused. If Ground Zeros is a prologue to TTP, why does TTP open with a tutorial? Or is GZ only a prologue in the story-sense, not in a first-thing-you'll-play sense?

I don't think it's that different from MGS2 in that respect. MGS2 throws you into the Tanker playing as Snake and you get to mess around with the new mechanics and what not, but after shit hits the fan, there's a time skip, and then you play as Raiden and it starts with a much more obvious tutorial opening since this is Raiden's first mission.

In this case, Ground Zeroes would be more familiar as a Metal Gear Solid setting, and after shit hits the fan, there's a time skip, and then you play as ??????? crawling around in the hospital in a much more obvious tutorial opening where your new environment is introduced to you and probably the larger open world mechanics.

That's not what Kojima's tweet says, especially reading the Japanese tweet. He clearly says that GZ is the prologue segment, and TPP is the main game segment, and MGSV uses a prologue+main game format. He then says that the gameplay demo they showed today was the tutorial segment of the TPP segment.

Defunkled

Anyone else think that Kojima might have asked Hayter to play along? Hayter has always seemed like an amicable guy. Maybe Solid Snake really will make an appearance in the game and they need to differentiate him from Big Boss, ala the change in voice actor. Knowing the crazy, multi-layer reveal this game has had so far, would Hayter playing along with Kojima REALLY be out of the question?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This is an odd numbered MGS, so it will be good. I sure hope it will be after MGS 4. Please be better than MGS 4 :(

Nibel

Well, Ground Zeroes seems to be way more ambitious than the Tanker - huge area, possibilities to travel via vehicles such as tanks, cars, helicopters etc.

duckroll

Anyone else think that Kojima might have asked Hayter to play along? Hayter has always seemed like an amicable guy. Maybe Solid Snake really will make an appearance in the game and they need to differentiate him from Big Boss, ala the change in voice actor. Knowing the crazy, multi-layer reveal this game has had so far, would Hayter playing along with Kojima REALLY be out of the question?

Hayter was already tweeting a few days ago asking fans how they would feel if he didn't voice Snake in the next game. He knew. It's clearly a ruse. :p

Laranja

I don't think it's that different from MGS2 in that respect. MGS2 throws you into the Tanker playing as Snake and you get to mess around with the new mechanics and what not, but after shit hits the fan, there's a time skip, and then you play as Raiden and it starts with a much more obvious tutorial opening since this is Raiden's first mission.

In this case, Ground Zeroes would be more familiar as a Metal Gear Solid setting, and after shit hits the fan, there's a time skip, and then you play as ??????? crawling around in the hospital in a much more obvious tutorial opening where your new environment is introduced to you and probably the larger open world mechanics.

Yeah, this sounds about right.

Xun

I think it's very likely, personally.

Also for a game called Metal Gear Solid we've not seen much of Solid Snake recently, which is a shame.

Maybe it's a way of messing with the player, meant to tie in to Big Boss's mental state after being in a coma for so long and having atrophied muscles?

Like a "come on, you know how to walk, this is embarrassing" feeling tying into the whole PTSD/mental breakdown of a soldier vibe they seem to be going for.

DXPett1

So remember when I made that thread about the Diamond Dogs symbol and was called fake...yeah...FUCK YOU GUYS. I CALLED IT!

Anyway....wow and holy shit. Great trailer. Battlefield what? This is what I am looking forward to. Attach it straight to my veins

Sucks for Hayter since his voice was already ingrained in my mind (even with the changes through games), would be cool if Kojima has something planned for him though. I hate dry partings. :(

Hayter's tweets don't really seem like he's being serious to me. First we had him tweeting a while back asking how everyone would feel if he didn't play Snake again, and now he tweets immediately after the reveal and says he had a good run, someone asks him if he was even asked back and he's like "Nope"

seems like he's just fucking around with everyone. But I don't even really care either way. Just the wording of his tweets doesn't seem like it's meant to be taken 100% seriously

BadAss2961

The gameplay character models are noticeably below the character models that we've seen in next-gen games. Even NPC characters in KZ are smoother in design than Snake is. The cutscenes are likely done pre-recorded like many games this gen. So they'll look better.
Well MGSV is "open world", and Guerrilla are graphics gods.

The quality of these possibly pre-recorded cutscenes is easily achievable on PS4. But people will be disappointed if they expect gameplay to look like that with current gen hardware. It's a bit too much of an astronomical leap from MGS4.

Sky Chief

To anyone confused about dates:

1964: MGS3
1972: Solid and Liquid Snake are born
1974: Peace Walker/Ground Zeroes portion?
1983: MGSV/TPP
1995: MG1
1999: MG2
2005: MGS1
2007: MGS2 Tanker
2009: MGS2 Plant
2014: MGS4
2018: MGR:R

Ground Zeroes is at the earliest 1979 because of the Walkman. I'd say it is probably 1980ish and The Phantom Pain is therefore about 1990ish.

That's not what Kojima's tweet says, especially reading the Japanese tweet. He clearly says that GZ is the prologue segment, and TPP is the main game segment, and MGSV uses a prologue+main game format. He then says that the gameplay demo they showed today was the tutorial segment of the TPP segment.

Sounds right. I think the only difference may be in if they charge for both parts or release them at different times. It wouldn't surprise me.

Laranja

I've mentioned this crazy theory before, and I still stand by it. Hayter has been way too vocal about this. I think if Kojima had really dropped him, he would have been more quiet about the whole situation.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
It's not like Hayter is begging for work guys. Wasn't MGS4 going to be his last one due to his commitments in Hollywood anyway?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Hayter's tweets don't really seem like he's being serious to me. First we had him tweeting a while back asking how everyone would feel if he didn't play Snake again, and now he tweets immediately after the reveal and says he had a good run, someone asks him if he was even asked back and he's like "Nope"

seems like he's just fucking around with everyone. But I don't even really care either way. Just the wording of his tweets doesn't seem like it's meant to be taken 100% seriously

Why would he be asked back if they wanted someone else to play Snake in the first place?

Ground Zeroes is at the earliest 1979 because of the Walkman. I'd say it is probably 1980ish and The Phantom Pain is therefore about 1990ish.

Peace Walker had your team invent Walkmans in 1974, and then develop them into modern versions. The Ground Zeroes trailer indicates that only a short amount of time, probably only a few months, has passed since Peace Walker.

Uiki

As I said before:

Big Boss covertly resumes command of FOXHOUND.

Big boss is not mentioned from 1980 to 1989......9 years.

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/1980s

Can't be in the '70, according to this.

Big Boss rescues Frank Jaeger from a FRELIMO prison camp in Mozambique.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else notice that the guy on the helicopter with the Boss has an eyepatch on his right eye and a very similar mullet?

EDIT: My bad, it's Kaz. I'm getting ze crazy eye.

Erigu

Interesting youtube comment
"Father was wounded from combat and already in a coma when they brought him in" - Liquid Snake MGS1
Then again, that's 1) an explanation for the cloning (which took place two years before Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker), 2) a very liberal translation, and 3) probably retconned to hell and back by now...

Top Bottom