• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V - "Co-Op Player" command discovered in IDroid GUI Concept video

http://yongsubsong.com/303436/3734620/projects/metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain

Last year you guys may remember a website called yongsubsong.com (no relation to YongYea) uploading some concept art and a video that has since been removed regarding MGSV:TPP and the idroid.

The owner of the website is attatched to Kyle Cooper and his team who are responsible for designing things like The Phantom Pain's logo and the GUI design of the idroid, perhaps even a new title sequence for The Phantom Pain as it was Kyle Cooper who made the intros for MGS2 and MGS3 as well as films like Se7en.

But more to the point, an anonymous user that posts on 4chan's Metal Gear General threads has discovered something that it seems was overlooked in that idroid video until now. Even though the video has been removed, you can watch it again here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Eic5oxPhY) and if you freeze frame between 0:15 and 0:16 you'll notice it shows the command Order - Helicopter, Buddy, with a third feature we haven't seen before to call "Co-Op Player". If you can't see it yourself there is a clearer screenshot here

lUUBCU0.jpg

To add even more credibility to this finding, it follows an earlier discovery by another anon who found that the "security" and "union" files dug from the Ground Zeroes PC Mother Base code ALSO matches with features found in the same video from the YongSub website:

uONpTuP.jpg

He also speculates based on that screenshot that we may get more than one mother base, but that's another can of worms.

There's always a chance this was a feature that got scrapped during development or something, but considering Kojima has talked before about being able to walk around your friend's motherbase and share resources with them, along with invasions and AI buddies it just makes sense for this feature to return from Peace Walker. Also I believe this video actually came out before the TGS video where we saw the "buddy" command in action for the first time, but I may be mistaken.

Everything is basically already there other than actual confirmation that we can tackle missions together with friends, which may be the next "feature" they show in a gameplay demo. If not, I at least thought it was worth sharing to the wider MGS community as i've never seen anyone point this out before and would hate for it to go unnoticed.

Source: http://archive.moe/vg/thread/90762406/#q90767662

Via r/metalgearsolid: Co-Op Confirmed? "Co-Op Player" command discovered in IDroid GUI Concept video (Credit: /mgg/)

Omikaru

Since playing Ground Zeroes, the one feature I've really wanted to see in The Phantom Pain is online co-op. Even if the game has specific online co-op missions, rather than just doing it Peace Walker style where you can co-op through most/all of the single player game with a buddy, would be so awesome.

nemisis0

This will be big news if it actually turns out to be true/real, MGS 5 with friends when you want a laugh will be a good thing.

with the focus of 2 characters in alot of the shown cut scenes I figured it was implied there was going to be coop- also PW had coop..

oh well good news is good news :)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I can't wait to see the intro of MGSV: TPP. I'm sure Kyle Cooper will blow it out of the water just like he did with MGS2 and MGS3. Both games had fantastic intros.

Kyle Cooper is on the right side.

A9kbvtICQAAleA9.jpg:large

Bricky

Wouldn't surprise me, especially with this essentialy being a Peace Walker sequel. The open level design should allow for multiple players without having to change much from (or comprimise aspects of) the single-player experience.

Also, guys! I'm watching the video to see if I can find any more clues that it may have to offer. Notice the world map, and the Diamond Dogs logos placed across it? Those are apparently opportunities for combat deployments, if I'm looking at this correctly. Even shows an example of how much GMP missions will cost and that a number of units can be dispatched for these missions.

I think this is just references to the buddy system that Kojima showcased at last TGS.

lUUBCU0.jpg

Shows "Buddy" and "Co-Op Player" options. This concept image was released way before TGS by the way, so I believe it to be legit.

The earliest link I have shows "July 6, 2014"!

https://www.behance.net/gallery/18039493/METAL-GEAR-SOLID-5-THE-PHANTOM-PAIN

Will M

Being able to have someone play as Quiet and mark enemies for you sounds fantastic. If the level design is as open and sandboxy and they've been saying, it should make replaying missions much more enjoyable.

If I can play as diamond dog then holy fuck is this going to be goty

Well, actually... you may be able to! Metal Gear Solid V - Dog Controls Confirmed?

It was discovered by fellow GAF user, ShaunBRS:

Has anyone else noticed that there are (possible TPP spoilers)
dog controls
in TppPlayerPadConfig.lua?

Pad.RegisterButtonAssign( "DOG_PAD_ACCEL",fox.PAD_B )
Pad.RegisterButtonAssign( "DOG_PAD_BREAK",fox.PAD_X )
Pad.RegisterButtonAssign( "DOG_PAD_BARK_NORMAL",fox.PAD_R )
Pad.RegisterButtonAssign( "DOG_PAD_BARK_MAD",fox.PAD_L )
Pad.RegisterButtonAssign( "DOG_PAD_BARK_JOY",fox.PAD_U )
Pad.RegisterButtonAssign( "DOG_PAD_SQUAT", fox.PAD_A )
Pad.RegisterButtonAssign( "DOG_PAD_SCENT", fox.PAD_Y )
Pad.RegisterButtonAssign( "DOG_PAD_CRAWL",fox.PAD_D )

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145102969&postcount=233

Risev1

CO-OP has no place in a MGS game. :)

That would be true were it not for the fact that CO-OP already existed in Peace Walker (was a huge part of it), and the fact that TPP already has a buddy system were you could have 3 (or was it 4) AI partners accompany you at all times.

Ein Bear

I honestly hadn't realised co-op wasn't already confirmed. I'd assumed it was a given after Peace Walker.

can i play as Quiet pls

wouldn't this be just an iteration of PW's choose someone from your team to play as and do a side mission thing? not totally unexpected

Dawg

Ohai, I'm Dawg the noscope 360 D.D., I'm rank 99 and I've prestiged this shit thrice, I'll be your co-op buddy for today.

Yudoken

I knew it but I was sad that it wasn't included in MGS V ground zeroes.
That would make it way more enjoyable.
Hopefully it's included in MGS V PP.

I happen to agree. What ever happened to solo sneaking missions? I'm not opposed to having this option available to those who choose to use, but I never will. Didn't in Peace Walker either.

The game/franchise has evolved. It's now 'Tactical Espionage Operations' instead of 'Tactical Espionage Action.'

What if you want to play as Quiet but your buddy (host) never met her?

Doesn't seem like you can.

You'll probably only either control BB, or if it's like Peace Walker as well, control generic Mother Base soldiers that have the same moveset as Big Boss.

Skullface

The game/franchise has evolved. It's now 'Tactical Espionage Operations' instead of 'Tactical Espionage Action.'

Doesn't seem like you can.

You'll probably only either control BB, or if it's like Peace Walker as well, control generic Mother Base soldiers that have the same moveset as Big Boss.

Lol, I don't care what the tag line is. Enjoy it your way and I'll enjoy it my way. Co-op just isn't for me. I'll probably hardly use buddies either unless there are incentives story wise.

Lol, I don't care what the tag line is. Enjoy it your way and I'll enjoy it my way. Co-op just isn't for me. I'll probably hardly use buddies either unless there are incentives story wise.

I'm simply saying the game has broadened in scope. Despite the inclusion of 'tactical operation' aspects in Peace Walker, the game's plenty solo-able.

The game now allows player to either play like Solid Snake (solo one-man infiltrator), or like Big Boss, the leader of a private militia. (one-man with advanced support from your team, or co-op + team support )

Top Bottom