• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes [Impressions from Nasu]

It's recycled artwork.

metal_gear_25_uniqlo.jpg

foxtrot3d

Banned
God damn I want this game so bad. I just went out and bought a PS4 two weeks ago just for this fucking game and I'll probably play it WAY more than Snorefest: Shadow Fall. I really am glad I waited until I got my PS4 too, I originally had it one per-ordered for launch but realized there were no games at launch I gave a shit about and without backwards compatibility I knew I'd be bored a week after I got it. And of course now that I've got one my instincts turned out to be correct, Shadow Fall is showered in mediocrity and I have no real desire to really dive into its multiplayer.

I need this game now, I don't care how short it is it will be better than anything else right now on this new shiny system.

Raynes

God damn I want this game so bad. I just went out and bought a PS4 two weeks ago just for this fucking game and I'll probably play it WAY more than Snorefest: Shadow Fall. I really am glad I waited until I got my PS4 too, I originally had it one per-ordered for launch but realized there were no games at launch I gave a shit about and without backwards compatibility I knew I'd be bored a week after I got it. And of course now that I've got one my instincts turned out to be correct, Shadow Fall is showered in mediocrity and I have no real desire to really dive into its multiplayer.

I need this game now, I don't care how short it is it will be better than anything else right now on this new shiny system.

Cool story bro. Tell me more about how you bought a PS4 for a demo.

I played through Revengeance 5 times and completed all the VR missions and tallied a total of 21 hours play time for a game I paid 60 dollars for, why exactly am I supposed to feel cheated for paying 30 dollars for a game that will take est. 20 hours to get 100% completion on?

Raynes

Some demos lasted me more than full games. It's all about dat quality.

You can use one piece of paper hundreds of times before disposing of it. It's still one piece of paper. Just because you're frugal with that piece of paper, doesn't mean you should buy it for the price of a whole notepad. And believe me, the more people who buy it, the more they will keep charging you that notepad price.
I really didn't think it needed dumbing down.

You can use one piece of paper hundreds of times before disposing of it. It's still one piece of paper. Just because you're frugal with that piece of paper, doesn't mean you should buy it for the price of a whole notepad. And believe me, the more people who buy it, the more they will keep charging you that notepad price.

I think you dumbed it down a little too far, though. Ground Zeroes is absolutely not worth the asking price if you're only going to play the main mission once; not even nearly. Not even at the $20 price the last-gen digital versions are going for. It's a ludicrously terrible value proposition. You'd be an actual crazy person to pay $20, $20 or $40 to play a 90-minute mission and never touch the game again. And I'm sure there's a not-insignificant portion (maybe even a majority) of the gaming public who plays games exactly that way, and it's practically dishonest of Konami not to get the message that this is not MGSV proper out there more clearly.

Still, though, it's come to light that there is more to Ground Zeroes, and it's more significant and substantial side-content than previously thought. So, for someone like me who loves replaying Metal Gear games to explore and experiment, it's looking like an easier purchase. The ever-dwindling Ground Zeroes Playtime Count is now up to around five hours or so before you ever have to replay any content which, at $30... well, it's still overpriced, but it's less egregious than it was last week. Not exactly laudable, but certainly out of 'paid demo' territory, at the very least.

In short, any Metal Gear game already has replay value out the wazoo, and an open-world setting is only going to add to that, so I'm looking forward to the game. But if you're a one-and-done kind of player, then you're absolutely justified in staying well away.

Jindrax

Any MGS fan who can afford it would buy a PS4 to play GZ.
Heck that's the only reason I bought mine last week.

Also, MGS players don't play the game once and just leave it.
We play them over and over and over.
I've personally completed MGS1 8 times...
If the game is 5 hours long. You can't even begin to imagine how many times I'll complete that story.

Unless Sutherland version of snake sucks the big one, I'll be completing in twice in a row on 18/03/2014

foxtrot3d

Banned
Any MGS fan who can afford it would buy a PS4 to play GZ.
Heck that's the only reason I bought mine last week.

I've personally completed MGS1 8 times...

Pffft, you should be ashamed. The game is way over a decade old and you've only managed to beat it 8 times? I probably beat it that many times the year it came out and have probably beat the game at least once every year since it was released. You need to step your MGS up son.

What if it's an incredibly awesome piece of paper that you spend hours playing with and actually enjoy every second of "being frugal with"? Is it somehow less valuable than an entire notebook of boring wide-ruled paper?

Raynes

What if it's an incredibly awesome piece of paper that you spend hours playing with and actually enjoy every second of "being frugal with"? Is it somehow less valuable than an entire notebook of boring wide-ruled paper?

That notebook is the Phantom Pain, and Kojima has stated it is 100x times the size of that piece of paper Ground Zeroes, yet GZ costs 60% of what Phantom Pain does. You tell me if that makes sense.

That notebook is the Phantom Pain, and Kojima has stated it is 100x times the size of that piece of paper Ground Zeroes, yet GZ costs 60% of what Phantom Pain does. You tell me if that makes sense.
Isn't it being a book a better analogy?
GZ is the first chapter of this book, but the author decided to release it early at whatever price it is. Even though it is only 10 pages long, and the rest of the book (PP) is 200 pages long, they're still charging a high price for said chapter because they want to read it.

the notebook in my example was actually any other "full" game that someone could consider boring and a waste of their money. Phantom Pain isn't part of this example since it's a completely separate game and we're only discussing whether or not GZ is worth its price tag based on its content alone.

If you think GZ should have been kept a part of MGSV, that's a valid opinion, but some people (like myself) would rather play Ground Zeroes now to soften the pain of waiting a year or two for Phantom Pain to come out. To claim that buying GZ makes someone "part of the problem" because developers will now realize they can charge for "demos" is a bit ridiculous. Mostly because people are entitled to spend their money any way they want, and partly because one could argue that purchasing anything at full price makes a consumer "part of the problem" because companies know you'll pay full price for their product and they can continue charging you a premium for it.

If you don't think GZ is worth its price tag, vote with your wallet and don't buy it. But telling other people they shouldn't buy it or should feel bad for buying something they genuinely want is ridiculous.

Raynes

the notebook in my example was actually any other "full" game that someone could consider boring and a waste of their money. Phantom Pain isn't part of this example since it's a completely separate game and we're only discussing whether or not GZ is worth its price tag based on its content alone.

If you think GZ should have been kept a part of MGSV, that's a valid opinion, but some people (like myself) would rather play Ground Zeroes now to soften the pain of waiting a year or two for Phantom Pain to come out. To claim that buying GZ makes someone "part of the problem" because developers will now realize they can charge for "demos" is a bit ridiculous. Mostly because people are entitled to spend their money any way they want, and partly because one could argue that purchasing anything at full price makes a consumer "part of the problem" because companies know you'll pay full price for their product and they can continue charging you a premium for it.

If you don't think GZ is worth its price tag, vote with your wallet and don't buy it. But telling other people they shouldn't buy it or should feel bad for buying something they genuinely want is ridiculous.

You are beyond basic logic. Why compare GZ with any other shit when the point here is to compare it with a widely accepted idea of what a full game by our beloved developer constitutes (PP)? But of course, you are going to create a straw-man to argue your point.
Your post is essentially saying I can vote how I want. Yes that is true, and it is also true I am entitled to discuss my vote. Why is discussing things a ridiculous idea to you?

You are beyond basic logic. Why compare GZ with any other shit when the point here is to compare it with a widely accepted idea of what a full game by our beloved developer constitutes (PP)? But of course, you are going to create a straw-man to argue your point.
Your post is essentially saying I can vote how I want. Yes that is true, and it is also true I am entitled to discuss my vote. Why is discussing things a ridiculous idea to you?

Discussing things is great, and exactly what GAF is for, but...

How is this discussing?

Dueck

Banned

As a value proposition, this is really the only accurate way to quantify it.

Just because comparative value says something is a terrible deal, that doesn't mean nobody will get their money's worth from it. What the market says something is worth and how satisfied you are with a purchase are not the same.

The only reason I'm willing to drop $40 on Ground Zeroes is because I'd rather get ripped off and have fun than sit and wait for 2 years until The Phantom Pain arrives. Buying GZ at the furthest point from its release is the best time to get it. The only similar situation I've ever partaken in was buying The King of Fighters XII for $60, knowing it was merely a place-holder release until a soon-to-arrive XIII hit with King, Mai, K' and the others that were clearly going to be added.

Way to take things out of context to avoid addressing the point. Enjoy your internet points.

What? Someone posted how excited they are about this game and how they bought a PS4 for it. You immediately said "Cool story bro" and then tried to make them feel bad for buying something they genuinely want simply because you disagree with the price tag.

You then compared GZ to a single piece of paper to imply it isn't worth its price tag once again based on the amount of content in the Main Mission rather than the quality of the content, to which I responded "what if it's an awesome piece of paper that provides more entertainment than a 'full' game?"(paraphrasing)

So what exactly am I taking out of context?

This is getting off topic, but I honestly have no idea what you're so upset about or why you're acting like someone buying this game is a personal attack on you and your vision of what the game industry should be like.

Do we know which retailers will have the preorder bonuses revealed last year? Also, if I get Ground Zeroes for PS3 does that mean no bonus content for Phantom Pain on PS4, or will it be a voucher to use once it comes out?

Ratrat

I actually don't like that at all. Thank god as a bundle would push me over the edge. I still font want to buy a ps4...

That looks nice. I wish people would sell just the design part like how x360 used to have the faceplate. I for one would like the foxhound logo, not slanted but aligned, or a drawing of Snake or Gray Fox in Yoji's art style.

I'm really hoping a third party market opens up for this. I just want an all matte PS4.

RangerBAD

Still, though, it's come to light that there is more to Ground Zeroes, and it's more significant and substantial side-content than previously thought. So, for someone like me who loves replaying Metal Gear games to explore and experiment, it's looking like an easier purchase. The ever-dwindling Ground Zeroes Playtime Count is now up to around five hours or so before you ever have to replay any content which, at $30... well, it's still overpriced, but it's less egregious than it was last week. Not exactly laudable, but certainly out of 'paid demo' territory, at the very least.

In short, any Metal Gear game already has replay value out the wazoo, and an open-world setting is only going to add to that, so I'm looking forward to the game. But if you're a one-and-done kind of player, then you're absolutely justified in staying well away.

They have? It's more than just time trials and collectables within the five Side-ops and main op?

A while ago Konami organized a Boot Camp where international press got a chance to play Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. Spanish gaming magazine Hobby Consolas was there as well, and there some new bits of information can be found in their cover story.

According to the article, health regeneration is only for minor damage. When sustaining severe damage, the player will have to use a healing spray.

The writer doesn’t feel Ground Zeroes is short, they think an average player can easily put 8-10 hours into the game. The best player at Kojima Productions spent more than 100 hours discovering all secrets.

Among the features of the iDroid app is the ability to see where other players have been detected on the map.

They point out the Fox Engine looks ‘simply spectacular’, with the best facial animation in the industry, and body animations reacting to where bullets hit.

Snake leaves footprints in the mud, which can be spotted by guards. This is just one of the things that adds to the difficulty, other things include better fields of visions for guards, randomized patrol routes and search lights; there are many things that can give your position away.

The embargo lifts tomorrow; can we expect any new details? Or do you guys think it will just be all of the stuff that we already know?

TyrantII

Impressions

Play Magazine’s Sam Smith was more precise on what kind of completion percentage you’re going to by finishing the game in 90 minutes:
"Finished GZ for the first time in about 90 minutes. Total game completion? 9%. I think that tells you all you need to know."

@DouglasNerd added more to the debate about gameplay time, and talked about controls and the PS4 version of the game:
"So yeah, the main mission of Ground Zeroes is short. BUT, you really are not going to find and discover everything in 2 hours.

Controls are much, much better than in MGS4. Really easy to do all the stuff you want, easier to interrogate enemies etc.

Btw, the frame rate is butter smooth on PS4."

The link above has a few more impressions, but they are trending all over Konami's Twitter as well. Sorry if this has been posted (didn't see it)!

Bonus:
Giacomo Vaccari ‏@GiacomoVaccari:
Completed a full-stealth run of MGSV:GZ. Stealth is the best it's been yet. Controls are more fluid while staying true to MGS #MGSVGZNASU

EDIT:

If the % / min holds up thats about 13hrs to 100%. Probably more like 10 hours.

Not too bad for a $30 demo, unless is very, very repetitive.

Top Bottom