• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Slug 7 Impressions

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

EDIT:
I'm revamping the thread since my US copy it's on the way.
But I'll still keep, at least for now, the impressions I posted for the JPN release.

• RELEASE DATES:

Metal Slug 7 is out now in the US and JPN;
UK GAF will have to wait until Feb. 27 2009
or import it through retailers like CDUniverse/VGPlus;
apparently some Euro Countries got the game on Nov. 21st 2008

-According to SNK Playmore at TGS08,
MS7 will make its way on XBox360 Live Arcade Marketplace:

"Metal Slug 7" is bound to appear in the near future exclusively on the XBox Live Arcade service. Gamers can join Marco, Tarma, Eri, Fiolina, Clark and Ralph as they prepare to take on Modern's Forces across seven new missions.
Metal Slug 7 will also feature new weapons, colossal new bosses, new gameplay modes and new Slugs to pilot.

• DEALS:

The game goes for just $19.99 on Amazon.com website! :D

--

• IMPRESSIONS:

As expected, the game feel a lot more like Metal Slug DS than the Metal Slug number 7 it's been titled by SNK PlaYmore.

Do MS7's graphics do justice to the franchise?

Graphically there's a lot of good to the game and some fail.

The main gripe it's due to the machine's screen much more than a lacking effort by the developer: the resolution used to show as a big play area as the other game in the series (as opposed to MSAdvance) makes for too tiny characters and, especially the tiny ones like characters/soldiers etc show little detail... but it's still all there and Metal Slug's charm is definitely retained.

I've played all the levels bar one and I'd say slowdowns are almost non-existent, framerate could be just a bit smoother though but really I'm nitpicking here.

Visually I don't like the choice, a bit like Slug 6, to go with prerendered backgrounds since DS limited capabilitis make for an even poorer color palette and grainy graphics, but under a gameplay point of view it definitely helps DS's screen to make enemies and bullets easy to spot (so it makes a lot more sense here than for the arcade chapters).

Well, those bgs are more often ugly than not, sometimes the styile works better than others, and I would have been happy if the result was always up to par with what we get on Mission 4. Mission 1 is easily the worst offender, and that gives you a bad taste right after having fired up the game for the very first time, so that doesn't help... as I said Mission 4 is quite pretty and reminds me of a water colored canvas a la Braid, plus the waterfall's backdrop is quite nice.

True to the roots, Slug 7's explosions are so damn awesome and detailed... and the bosses, holy crap the bosses don't have anything to envy to past games in the franchise, with some fantastic two or even three-parts fights

The bigger the sprites the better they are: this holds true for the whole game.
The game best achievement is to have retained intact what has made Slug game something special all these years, alas the awesome animations... they've really put to good use DS's cartirdges size.

How's the music/sound quality?

Did I mention the music is up there with the best in the series?
Mission 4 has probably my favourite MS track ever, I'm often playing the game just with BGM on and it's freakin fantastic: it's a whole other world playing with the headphones on, color me surprised but the sound quality is easily up to par with the home console's Slugs and you really can't compare it with DS's speaker: again, Slug 7's sound quality makes for a really nice show-off of what the DS can do.

What about difficulty?

Difficulty wise there's definitely a challenge here (3 difficulty levels, dunno about unlockables) and I applaud the choice to give the player only a limited amount of continues (9 for beginner, 4 for Normal and just 2 for Hard) and you have 6 characters to choose from (Marco, Eri, Tarma, Clark, Ralf and Fio) along the usual dual slot for selectable guns like the latter games in the franchise.
On the way to unlocking the 7 levels you'll be able to use any one of them as the starting point for your own adventure.
Let me rephrase it: the game is freakin' hard, I've played every Slug but we have a "winner" here, at Normal difficulty setting we have almost too much of a challenge.

are the controls up to par?

The controls are completely customizable, thank god there's optional Auto Fire, also pressing L + Y (default) makes the character throwing punches/kicks (imo completely useless... unless you wanna beat the game without ever firing a bullet?), or a ACME like retractable boxing gloves when you're crouching, doing the same while jumping gives you a knife swing combo. Nice.

What's unique for this DS version?

The game doesn't use any of DS unique capabilities but I'm not complaining, leave this action classic alone, even if I have to admit a more clever use of the 2nd screen (showing a useless minimap, the levels are such a straight and small affair that is not needed at all) would've been appreciated and, dare I say, expected.

Conclusions?

It's easily the best handheld Metal Slug out there, but maybe playing Anthology on PSP from a memory stick (no loading) beats it, never tried it so I won't compare... but I was a lot more confortable with DS d-pad for the game then PSP's one, that's for sure but it all comes down to personal preferences.
Apart from that it's the usual godly Slug's fanfair with humour, great 2D art and animations, motherfuggin' big bosses, bodies' dismemberments a go-go (game's NOT censored!) and all that... I'm happy the franchise graced Nintendo's hendheld and it's worth your cash if you're looking for portable Slug action and you don't have a PSP/don't like Anthology PSP or you can't get enough of Metal Slug for the get-go, but as I said this should've been named Metal Slug DS, it does nothing to be the new game in the main series and not having multiplayer, not even with multicart, it's really a shame... so if you're going to bite you better be expecting a successfull portable spin-off or otherwise you could be disappointed.

• MEDIA:

-Video:

Metal Slug 7 USA Trailer -High Quality Youtube

-Boxart:

[image]

Screens:

(edited with Ethelred's links)

zSFOpvtEL.jpg

YqGJhnsdt.jpg

zSFOpvtEL.jpg

-MS7 North American Official Website

-Reviews:

Gameranking's average ratio

Metacritic's score and reviews overview

GAME's OVERVIEW:

-The game features SIX different characters
-Seven levels
-Four difficulty settings
-Combat School: More than 60 objective based missions

1. Characters special abilites:

• Marco: His default weapon (Pistol on Hard, Heavy Machine Gun on Easy) has twice the ordinary strength.
  • Tarma: While riding in or on a Slug, durability and the effects of power-ups are doubled; additionally, the vulcan cannon's power is increased by 50%.
    He also is capable of using Vulcan Fix when on or in any vehicle.
  • Fio: Begins each mission with the Heavy Machine Gun (on Easy mode, she begins with the Big Heavy Machine Gun from Metal Slug X and 3).
    Weapon supply is also increased by 50%.
  • Eri: Receives twice as many grenades upon starting or resupplying.
    When throwing, she can aim in a specific direction.
  • Ralf: Melee attack speed is doubled, at the expense of weapon and grenade supplies being halved.
    He can also use the special 'Vulcan Punch' attack, melee strikes capable of damaging vehicles. Can take two hits from most attacks before losing a life.
  • Clark: gets an extra chance at start of respawn. He can perform his 'Argentina Backbreaker' against most non-vehicle enemies, and he's immune to damage during the move, also earning generous amounts of points with such action.

Gameplay's choice: play area

MS Advance didn't play like a Metal slug game partially because of that: since the action was very limited in space, everything felt constricted in a tiny rectangle.

Metal Slug 7, on the opposite, plays like a Metal Slug game

Don't mind the crappy quality, it's just to show MSAdvance play area vs MS7 play area.

MS ADVANCE
-images

Vs.

MS7
-images

• EXTRA INFORMATIONS:

is this game import safe? no walls of text? english? engrish?

Yep, at least for my standards (sadly I don'y know the moon language at all) the game's definitely import safe in its JPN iteration, although since its cheaper you should probably go with the US version, it's not missing anything you know... unless you're a collector :)
Btw, no text other than for Combat Schools' challanges, but even then it'is always either a "go for high score/kill everyone" or a "time attack" kind of affair.

I played it for a few minutes.

First thing I noticed was the fact it was incredibly ugly. The classic NeoGeo spirites aren't 1:1 on the screen; there's hideous unfiltered downscaling on everything. It's offensively gross.

The backgrounds are new, but look like dull, uninteresting, rendered gray and brown masses.

Game plays like you'd expect though. I'm not sure if this was in MS6, but now you have 2 stocks for power-ups that you're able to cycle through ala Contra III. I wasn't able to play long enough to form solid opinions on the level design though. Difficultywise I only played the first two missions but difficulty seemed on par with like an MS2 or something.

Owensboro

Please let there be blood vomiting zombies.
That is still my favorite part of any Metal Slug game. I don't know why, but I still find it hilarous to kill enemies that way. Oh projectile vomit, you are hilarous.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
_dementia said:
The backgrounds are new, but look like dull, uninteresting, rendered gray and brown masses.
Sounds like MS4, 5 and 6 for sure. The series died for me with MS3 when the original team disbanded.

The graphics are weird. They used the original sprite, and then squeezed them into the DS game. It looks like some of the pixels are missing due to that. I wish they made them from ground up.

Cow Mengde said:
The graphics are weird. They used the original sprite, and then squeezed them into the DS game. It looks like some of the pixels are missing due to that. I wish they made them from ground up.
Yup. Funny, since MS Advance didn't resort to downscaling the sprites.

lol, MS7 is so lazy.

It's still fun though. I agree the backgrounds are really grey. The bosses are really cool though. Very original and massive.

mollipen

When the Metal Slug knock-off looks far better than the real Metal Slug, something is drastically wrong. For shame, SNK.

GrayFoxPL

_dementia said:
I played it for a few minutes.

First thing I noticed was the fact it was incredibly ugly. The classic NeoGeo spirites aren't 1:1 on the screen; there's hideous unfiltered downscaling on everything. It's offensively gross.

Shit. So it's the same effect Samurai Showdown PS ports have. It makes the games unplayable. I regred buying 3 Samurai Showdown games from Hong Kong PSN Store.

Horrible effect I agree. I puke when I see it.

GrayFoxPL said:
Shit. So it's the same effect Samurai Showdown PS ports have. It makes the games unplayable. I regred buying 3 Samurai Showdown games from Hong Kong PSN Store.

Horrible effect I agree. I puke when I see it.

It's not that bad when you're looking at a 3 inch DS screen. It is disappointing.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
A few comments, you can indeed start on Missions 6 and 7 (Just pulled out my copy to check again), and the fact the backgrounds don't look very good is due to SNK and not the DS. The DS can display more colors then the Neogeo, they just chose to keep with the lousy style that is Metal Slug 6.

All in all, I think Metal Slug 7 is like 4th best in the series, its not bad, but there is room for improvement.

Dash Kappei

McBradders said:
So the Neo Geo Pocket ones are still the way to go? :D

Not to me as I've already said, I believe this is a good Metal Slug, and I'll go as far as saying that to me is better than hideous Metal Slug 4 (Ps2 version it's what I'ver played though) by a long shot even if MS4 does have at-hand multiplayer (you can't say the same about MS7 sadly) and boost the original resolution art.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
difficulty?

As in the OP, there's quite a challenge there even playing the game @normal, with limited continues for every difficulty setting... hard is actually pretty damn hard with just a couple of continues.
I'll need some time with the game and a lot of playthroughs before being able to beat it without using any continues.
And after that there's the Combat School section, with many ad-hoc challenges (think Nanostray/Contra 4 or something similar to Achievements if you're not familiar with those games). Plenty of stuff to play.

On the other hand I'm glad that Beginner is appropriate to the name and with 9 continues even the missus can have fun with it and beat the game.

About the gfx, yeah there are pro and cons: Everything big is prettier looking due to the fact that since the reused assets like soldiers and characters seem to be scaled at DS resolution from the original they look a bit "rough". Backgrounds are the worst thing sadly, ok the DS is not a monster but the team could've done certainly better, shame!
Bosses and animations are freaking awesome though, plus everything looks and move like it should.

Hive

Banned
Oh, thanks for the great overview!

Could someone comment on the sound capabilities (music + SFX) ? thanks!!!

D.Lo

The resolution thing is no excuse, the DS EMULATES the original MS games pretty well, and unscaled (with a few lines cut off top and bottom) it looks stunning. I daresay MS1 emulated with NeoDS is te ultimate portable MS game, as there is no loading or scaling and little slowdown.

From videos I've seen of MS7, SNK would do better to zoom in for everything but bosses to have the sprites at ther original resolutions during levels. the boss I've seen does look pretty sweet though, lots of animation, so they could zoom out for that.

Dash Kappei

_dementia said:
Yup. Funny, since MS Advance didn't resort to downscaling the sprites.

lol, MS7 is so lazy.

It's a choice I approve though.
MS Advance didn't play like a Metal slug game partially because of that: since the action was very limited in space, everything felt constricted in a tiny rectangle.

MS7 plays like a Metal Slug game, sure I think they would've done better using DS-remade sprites for every character but alas they didn't... it's still good though.

Don't mind the crappy quality, it's just to show MSAdvance play area vs MS7 play area.

MS ADVANCE

Vs.

MS7

Dash Kappei

abstract alien said:
DiddyBop said:
that was the best quality youtube vid ive ever seen.
God Gawd, you am write...

Yeah, it really is. :)

Well maybe you already know that but a little tip for gaffers:

Just add &fmt=18 to youtube's video links so that if there's a high quality version there it'll automatically play that one instead than crap.. ehmm, standard quality.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the visual approach sounds pretty depressing, but i really, really liked slug 6, so i suppose i'll buy this when it comes out here. i hope slug 8 gets the kof12 treatment. or at least ISN'T ON THE ONLY FUCKING PLATFORM THAT CAN'T PROPERLY DISPLAY OLD METAL SLUG SPRITES

I love Metal Slug, but I wouldn't mind seeing the game go 2.5D?

I think it could be great if someone could pull off a 3D version too.

Every time I play a new version, I feel like I'm playing the same one I just played before it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hive said:

Oh, I would have to replay the game with my head phones (Maybe I'll do it tonight...), but I don't remeber them being bad. Oh, but Judgement is still the final boss song, I do remeber that off the the top of my head.

I love Metal Slug, but I wouldn't mind seeing the game go 2.5D?

Every time I play a new version, I feel like I'm playing the same one I just played before it.

They are in fact doing that with that PC game Metal Slug Zero.

http://www.siliconera.com/2008/06/12/korea-logs-on-to-metal-slug-online-later-this-year/

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
drohne said:
the visual approach sounds pretty depressing, but i really, really liked slug 6, so i suppose i'll buy this when it comes out here. i hope slug 8 gets the kof12 treatment. or at least ISN'T ON THE ONLY FUCKING PLATFORM THAT CAN'T PROPERLY DISPLAY OLD METAL SLUG SPRITES

QFT man. If I had to make a suggestion, I think MS8 would work pretty well on XBLA/PSN

D.Lo

drohne said:
But it can disply the sprites at correct resolution, and at basically Neo screen resolution, they just keep it zoomed out the whole time.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Already was one, it sucked.

2DMention

Banned
Looks decent. I didn't care for MSA or NGPC Metal Slug. I like straight arcade action, not platforming and backtracking on the other portable games.

So has anyone played the clone:
07PackageIllustrationV3_cropped_small.jpg

I think it's already out in Europe. I doubt many have played it and MS7, but I'd like a comparison if someone did.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Allan Holdsworth said:
So has anyone played the clone:
07PackageIllustrationV3_cropped_small.jpg

I think it's already out in Europe. I doubt many have played it and MS7, but I'd like a comparison if someone did.
Not out, just checked. Should be coming out in the next month or two.

I'm gonna have to buy another DS it seems, this and another castlevania are must haves.

I really wish the Metal Slug series would add more depth. Part 6 was great but everyone needs life bars instead of 1 hit kills, there needs to be way more levels (amybe triple the amount), there also needs to be shops and stuff where you can buy guns, vehicles and health items. I just want there to be more to the game than just the same run and gun shooting which honestly kept me satisfied till part 3 but it started getting a bit stale from part 4 and onwards.

Advance and 6 were good in that they did introduce a couple of featreus (e.g. powerups in advance from unlocking cards, special abilities for each character in 6 etc) but there needs to be more and some need to be across the board like shops and collecting money etc.

Dash Kappei

Hive said:

The music is easily up there with the best in the series, that's one thing hopefully everyone will agree with, and I was definitely pleased with what was coming out from the DS.
Mission 4 has probably my favourite MS track ever, I'm often playing the game just with BGM on and it's freakin fantastic: it's a whole other world playing with the headphones on, color me surprised but the sound quality is easily up to par with the home console's Slugs and you really can't compare it with DS's speaker: really, sound quality wise is one of DS's best showoff.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Allan Holdsworth said:

It'll be out here in a month or two as 08 Commando with a 19.99 pricepoint.

Dash Kappei

ugh the boot said:
I'm gonna have to buy another DS it seems, this and another castlevania are must haves.

Advance and 6 were good in that they did introduce a couple of featreus (e.g. powerups in advance from unlocking cards, special abilities for each character in 6 etc)

Yeah, I'm glad that's back in MS7, here's a list from wiki:

• Marco: His default weapon (Pistol on Hard, Heavy Machine Gun on Easy) has twice the ordinary strength.
  • Tarma: While riding in or on a Slug, durability and the effects of power-ups are doubled; additionally, the vulcan cannon's power is increased by 50%.
    He also is capable of using Vulcan Fix when on or in any vehicle.
  • Fio: Begins each mission with the Heavy Machine Gun (on Easy mode, she begins with the Big Heavy Machine Gun from Metal Slug X and 3).
    Weapon supply is also increased by 50%.
  • Eri: Receives twice as many grenades upon starting or resupplying.
    When throwing, she can aim in a specific direction.
  • Ralf: Melee attack speed is doubled, at the expense of weapon and grenade supplies being halved.
    He can also use the special 'Vulcan Punch' attack, melee strikes capable of damaging vehicles. Can take two hits from most attacks before losing a life.
  • Clark: gets an extra chance at start of respawn. He can perform his 'Argentina Backbreaker' against most non-vehicle enemies, and he's immune to damage during the move, also earning generous amounts of points with such action.

Dash Kappei

Pureauthor said:
Dash Kappei said:
Mission 4 has probably my favourite MS track ever
Lies and untruth - no MS theme will ever beat Final Attack.

^^^
"probably" ;)

yeah you're right, Final Attack owns :)

2DMention said:
Looks decent. I didn't care for MSA or NGPC Metal Slug. I like straight arcade action, not platforming and backtracking on the other portable games.

Well, that's exactly what you'll be gettin' here since there's practically no platforming at all (I was not pleased with that though), no backtracking but not even levels' branches (damn I loved those!).

In a scale where, content wise and NOT quality wise, Contra 4 get 8/10 on platforming I'd give MS7 a 2/10. :)

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Was there? shit, what did it come out on?

PS2, JPN only and believe me when I say it's fucking horrible, a disgrace conceived by evil deviated minds.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
ugh the boot said:
I really wish the Metal Slug series would add more depth. Part 6 was great but everyone needs life bars instead of 1 hit kills, there needs to be way more levels (amybe triple the amount), there also needs to be shops and stuff where you can buy guns, vehicles and health items.

Strangely enough, there were elements similar to what you're talking about in the 3D Metal Slug game. They just never carried it over to any of the others.

Dash Kappei

drohne said:

What are you on? :)
DS could display it, it's a gameplay design choice to show off more of the play area.

Well, it's more often ugly than not, sometimes it works better than others, I would have been pleased if the result was always comparable with what we get on Mission 4. Mission 1 is easily the worst offender, and that helps giving you a bad taste right after having fired up the game for the first time, so that doesn't help... as I said Mission 4 is quite pretty and reminds me of a water colored canvas, plus the waterfall's backdrop is quite nice.

can you expand on the difficulty level?

Let me rephrase it: the game is freakin' hard, I've played every Slug but we have a "winner" here, at Normal difficulty setting we have almost too much of a challenge.

are the controls up to par?

The controls are completely customizable, thank god there's optional Auto Fire, also pressing L + Y (default) makes the character throwing punches/kicks (imo completely useless... unless you wanna beat the game without ever firing a bullet?), or a ACME like retractable boxing gloves when you're crouching, doing the same while jumping gives you a knife swing combo. Nice.

Dash Kappei

Dunno if any of you guys care, but whatever I've expanded the OP using the questions I've found in the thread... hopefully it'll be useful for at least some of you who could be on the edge about grabbing the game or not.

Hive said:

:blush: Gee thanks, hopefully it's a bit better now :)

I just can't convince myself to buy it. I have a feeling if I wait a few weeks I'll be able to get it for 2000 yen at a discounter or used shop.

Dash Kappei

Cow Mengde said:
Wait, does this game have co-op or not? I can't read Japanese, so I just blast through by myself.

Argh, you didn't read the OP at all did you? ;)

Nope, doesn't have co-op sadly but anyway what about you having wifi (or not) at home would've have to do with that anyway?

Segata Sanshiro said:
I just can't convince myself to buy it. I have a feeling if I wait a few weeks I'll be able to get it for 2000 yen at a discounter or used shop.

I have a feeling you might be right since the game charted just first week and poorly @44 rank Media-Create. At that price it'd be a steal btw, so in case it does happen go for it :)

Dash Kappei said:
Argh, you didn't read the OP at all did you? ;)

Nope, doesn't have co-op sadly but anyway what about having wifi (or not) would've have to do with that anyway?

Online play. I mean, you don't expect 2 people to crowd together on 1 DS to play 2 players, do you?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm one of those MS fans that enjoyed MS5, hated MS4, and think MS3 is the holy mother reincarnated in cart form.

I can't help but think MS7 is worth getting, no matter what people say. I definitely have to pick it up.

Dash Kappei

Cow Mengde said:
Online play. I mean, you don't expect 2 people to crowd together on 1 DS to play 2 players, do you?

Man, what the fuck are you talking about?!

Co-op for Metal Slug would have meant 2 people playing over T-W-O DSs wirelessy (with one cartdridge + download play in the best case, or with a multicart option)!
Local Wireless play though, NOT online.
Exactly like Contra 4 and tons of other games.
But there isn't a multiplayer option for this game as I've already said, let alone an online portion which not even in the wildest dreams would've allowed for Co-op (maybe, just maybe, online leaderboards).

I don't even think there's ONE Ds game allowing for co-op over Nintendo's Wifi-network.

Top Bottom