• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Slug 7 Impressions

Well, I was just randomly using some term. I just randomly shoved the term wi-fi into it cause I couldn't remember what it was called.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Cow Mengde said:
Well, I was just randomly using some term. I just randomly shoved the term wi-fi into it cause I couldn't remember what it was called.

Hey, no problem mate it's all got at least you know know what the game holds (NOT) for you... seriously it's a shame SNK Playmore didn't bother to make the game multiplayer at all, what the hell I don't see the reason besides laziness, don't know how much would've costed to implement it but every respectable run&gun shooter should have at least 2p multiplayer, even if under multicartridge required 1cart per DS form.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hey, did you guys notice Final Attack has been redone in Metal Slug 7? While I didn't care for the final boss at all, the music is the best version of the song I have heard. Though I don't really care for the Stage Boss theme.

Oh, and to be honest, I loved the Mission 3 song much more then Mission 4... Please don't hurt me ;-;

And one last side note, I like how they put the old prisonor Think You voice in, hated the MS6 one.

Dash Kappei

Drkirby said:
Hey, did you guys notice Final Attack has been redone in Metal Slug 7? While I didn't care for the final boss at all, the music is the best version of the song I have heard. Though I don't really care for the Stage Boss theme.

Oh, and to be honest, I loved the Mission 3 song much more then Mission 4... Please don't hurt me ;-;

And one last side note, I like how they put the old prisonor Think You voice in, hated the MS6 one.

It's because I'm a little fucker and in the previous post I wrote Mission 4 instead of 3! Mission 4 has my favourite background, Mission 3 is the way to go as far as the best new song in the game so I'm with you on this one :)

And yeah, FA remix is the best version out there IMO, but really the music package as whole and sound quality is really stunning for a DS game.

The more I play the game the more I like it but I'm stil burned by the fact it's not a real Metal Slug 7, more of a DS iteration... about the sprites resolution thing, it's like the developers mock you showing off the death screen with the characters in original Neo Geo sprite resolution and not-horrybly compressed and zoomed out backgrounds...

At least that way the game plays like a proper Metal Slug, opposite to the aberration Slug Advance was.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
:lol The DS's sound capablities is just fine, if you use a pair of headphones. If you just go off the speakers, its nothing to great though, but I can somewhat guess why Nintendo decided agenst better headphones. I remeber playing Advance Wars with headphones, and there was stuff in the songs that isn't even played though the speakers, the most obvouse IMO is the Dual Strike song.

Also, yah, it does play just fine. I just really wish the final boss was better, or the bosses in Genreal. I really didn't care for the bosses that much :/

Well, 2 years till Metal Slug 8... Think the DS 2 will be out then?

Maybe you guys have already noticed, but the US website seems to have high-quality versions of all the music from the game under the "Downloads" section. (The rendition of Final Attack certainly is nice, although I'm a little tired of the song)

(also, the Japanese version of the game apparently already includes the text translations for all the countries it will be released in, although I have no idea whether it's well done or not)

Personally, I'm kind of disappointed by the fact that this is, well, Metal Slug 7. I knew there wasn't a chance in hell of it happening, but I was kind of hoping for something along the lines of 2nd Mission.....personally, I wouldn't care if all the assets were recycled if it means the playability was jacked up a notch.

(oh yeah, and no co-op :( )

I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed. It's not by any means bad, but I was so hyped over this game after seeing Contra 4 and Bangai-O on the DS. I thought this would be as awesome. It's only almost as awesome.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
dark steve said:
Maybe you guys have already noticed, but the US website seems to have high-quality versions of all the music from the game under the "Downloads" section. (The rendition of Final Attack certainly is nice, although I'm a little tired of the song)

(also, the Japanese version of the game apparently already includes the text translations for all the countries it will be released in, although I have no idea whether it's well done or not)

Personally, I'm kind of disappointed by the fact that this is, well, Metal Slug 7. I knew there wasn't a chance in hell of it happening, but I was kind of hoping for something along the lines of 2nd Mission.....personally, I wouldn't care if all the assets were recycled if it means the playability was jacked up a notch.

You know, I am waiting for the Metal Slug game to have Final attack play, and after it have anther boss battle. Maybe even a Mission Complete Screen. Would be a great shock :lol

Dash Kappei

Drkirby said:
:lol The DS's sound capablities is just fine, if you use a pair of headphones. If you just go off the speakers, its nothing to great though, but I can somewhat guess why Nintendo decided agenst better headphones. I remeber playing Advance Wars with headphones, and there was stuff in the songs that isn't even played though the speakers, the most obvouse IMO is the Dual Strike song.

Also, yah, it does play just fine. I just really wish the final boss was better, or the bosses in Genreal. I really didn't care for the bosses that much :/

Well, 2 years till Metal Slug 8... Think the DS 2 will be out then?

Well, I think 2 years is the right time we can start to expect a NDS 2 to be out, I have a feeling it'll be announced ad the next E3 to match the previous one or maybe at the TGS to throw a bone to the japaneses whom have made the DS the smashing success it si today.

And yep, we're definitely in the same page again since going though my post history you can see AW: Dark Conflict as my fav DS soundtrack ever and one of the most beatiful I've ever listened to, pretty amazing stuff.

dark steve said:

Well, even with the DS language set up as "english" the game is still in japanese, don't think that's true at all.

But it bothers me a bit just in the Combat School session, not even that much since you always either have to go for a high score or for a best time attack kind of thing :lol
I don't get what the A/B/C letters aside the missions number means though... is the grade you'll have to match to get the most points?

Oh and thanks a lot, didn't know about the downloads through the website, very nice! :)

Dash Kappei

Eteric Rice said:
So is this worth buying? I'm considering getting it. :)

Well, it honestly depends on how hungry you are for MS action on the get-go.

But really, it think it's fair to say that going through the OP and the thread as a whole you'll have more than enough opinions and facts to give yourself a pretty clear picture of the game and its pro/cons.

Bottom line is always the same, it's no Slug 7, just Slug DS.. take it this way and it's fine, take it for what it's been titled and you'll be disappointed... the game doesn't hold a candle to, say, Slug 3 (but what does?!) but even Slug 6 is a superior game in every department by a loong shot. Take it for an action Slug action game on the DS and, together with Contra 4, it's the best on the machine and very enjoyable.

Dash Kappei

EDGE reviewed the game: 6 out of 10.

About right I guess, since I'd give the game a 7/10 and Edge use the whole scale from 1 to 10 (Facebraker got a 3! and another retro come back, SFIV, got a fantastic 9/10!)

edit: didn't try to download the music yet, but I think maybe you can only listen to it in streaming... bummer :-/

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
:( Edge gave Metal Slug 7 a 6/10.

Oh, on a side note, while Metal Slug 3 is the fan favorite, I always enjoyed Metal Slug X more. I like the settings and the bosses better in it then 3.

Dash Kappei

Drkirby said:
:( Edge gave Metal Slug 7 a 6/10.

Oh, on a side note, while Metal Slug 3 is the fan favorite, I always enjoyed Metal Slug X more. I like the settings and the bosses better in it then 3.

Well, what you'd rate it then?

I have to say, saying that Slug 3 is the 10/10 one in a scale of Metal Slug games, and X a 9/10, I'd say MS7 is in between a solid 6.5 and a 7.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I would have to say 7/10.

Also, I would rate them:

X > 3 > 2 > 5> 1 > 7 > 6 > 4 > Advance

For Advance, I couldn't even finish it. Not even 4 was that bad, while 4 was pathitic (I always enjoyed naming where all the stuff is stolen from :lol), it was fun, Advance really wasn't that much fun.

Dash Kappei

Drkirby said:

Also, I would rate them:

For Advance, I couldn't even finish it. Not even 4 was that bad, while 4 was pathitic (I always enjoyed naming where all the stuff is stolen from :lol), it was fun, Advance really wasn't that much fun.

Ok :)

My turn then:

3 > X > 2 > 1 > 6 > 7 > 5 > 4 > Advance > First Mission.

Yep, I've enjoyed 6 quite a bit and I fucking DESPISE MS4 and Advance.
The fact I've never liked 5 was probably due to the fact I've only played and owned the PS2 version, so that should count for something and maybe it isn't fair to rate it that way.
At the time of the release First Mission was enjoyable, but it doesn't hold up well at all by today's standards imo.

Dash Kappei

Does anybody know what extras (if any) are there to unlock when beating all of them Combat School missions? And what about beating the game at hard level? Does it unlock extreme or something? Not that it needs it btw, this game is HARD as nails and definitely above average for Slug games!

Dash Kappei

Atilac said:
is this game import safe? no walls of text? english? engrish?

Yep it is completely import safe.

No text except for Combat Schools challanges, but is always either a "go for best score" or a "time attack" affair.

Go for it :)

Drkirby said:

Also, I would rate them:

Did you play the NGPC ones? They're a bit weird at first, but they're a lot better than Advance was IMO...

Anyways, I would have to say, for me, that it goes: 2 > X > 1 > 3 > 5 > NGPC > 6 > 7 > 4 > Advance

Dash Kappei

PTCoakley said:
Did you play the NGPC ones? They're a bit weird at first, but they're a lot better than Advance was IMO...

Anyways, I would have to say, for me, that it goes: 2 > X > 1 > 3 > 5 > NGPC > 6 > 7 > 4 > Advance

Yep I did, at least I played First Mission and imo even if good on their own they're not real Metal Slug games: it doesn't hold up well in comparison to MS7, saying they're better than 6 and 7 as Slug games IMO is just plain wrong, but to each is own obviously... and your "chart" says a lot in the way we look at the series in a completely different way :)

Dash Kappei said:
Yep I did, at least I played First Mission and imo even if good on their own they're not real Metal Slug games: it doesn't hold up well in comparison to MS7, saying they're better than 6 and 7 as Slug games IMO is just plain wrong, but to each is own obviously... and your "chart" says a lot in the way we look at the series in a completely different way :)
Yeah, I suppose so. I still would keep them in a list just for completion sake, as they are still entries in the series despite the fact that they are more of a side-game than anything.

On a side note, I had no idea it was taking this long for this piece of crap to drop in the US. How hard is it to localize Metal Slug?

sammy

Metal Slug 7 is so damn awesome. I've been lovin' on it for weeks, and hard mode is where it's at. for me, it's right up there next to Metal Slug 3 since there's so many new things to it.

the pacing is some of the nicest the series has ever seen, weapons correspond with all the encounters

currently playing that little Commando MS clone, it's really delightful! a mix of MS and Contra, very very hard .... stuck on lvl 5

Dash Kappei

So, I've completely revamped the OP and I put a lot of effort in it.
My US copy is on its way from CDUniverse (I've still got the JPN one).

I'd very like the mod to change the title to something resembling an official thread.

Also, as some of you might know, the game is going to appear on XBOX Live Arcade.

You know, the more I play Slug 7 and the more I love it, this is really one of those games that grew up in me with each day passing by, the action is awesome, retains everything you'd expect from the franchise and has a LOT of replay value, I've been playing it day in day out since the JPN release... and the Arace version is going to fix the only major gripe I have with the game (No multiplayer)... even if portability makes up for it, I'd personally go with the DS version if I had to choose only one but to each is own, either way it's going to be great :)

Hopefully someone else picked it up and wants to talk about it.

Feedback on the OP and on my impressions is always appreciated :)

Dash Kappei

So I totally admit I didn't search for it, I just assumed that browsing GAf every damn day and more the thread wasn't there, especially for something I care so much about.

I totally don't see how you can beat $20 portable Slug 7 :)

Az987

all good things
Dash Kappei said:
So I totally admit I didn't search for it, I just assumed that browsing GAf every damn day and more the thread wasn't there, especially for something I care so much about.

I totally don't see how you can beat $20 portable Slug 7 :)

What do u mean 20$?? Wtf, gamestop charged me 30$

edit: nm, i see its 20 on amazon. SUCKS!

Dash Kappei

Az987 said:
lol i know right.. I was to impatiant, wanted to have it right then.. To bad i beat it in like a day lol

Really?
Color me surprised since this is as challenging game as most the series and even more in some instances.

The real question is at what difficulty setting (obviously starting from level 1)?

Also, there's ton of replay value, the characters have different abilites and Combat School is GREAT.

Top Bottom