• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#MeToo Jumps Another Shark - Pinegrove 'Sexual Coercion'

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Among the tidal wave of sexual misconduct allegations in the early days of #MeToo, one little-noticed story concerned an indie country-rock emo band called Pinegrove. On November 21, 2017, the band canceled its tour because of a “sexual coercion” charge against lead singer Evan Stephens Hall. A lengthy message from Hall on Pinegrove’s Facebook page asserted that the accusation stemmed from a complicated, intense relationship that he believed to have been mutual and “based in love.” However, the singer also castigated himself for having “monumentally misread the situation.” In particular, he wrote that he “should have more actively acknowledged my position of power as a public figure, and also as a man.”

In other words, two people in the unstructured setting of an indie band that was sort of like a workplace (but on which no one was financially dependent) became sexually and romantically involved. It didn’t work out. The woman felt hurt, perhaps especially because this situation led to the loss of another relationship. Later, she decided that what happened was somehow “implicitly manipulative” because of the man’s “power”— which she admits he didn’t actually have, except that it “felt like he did.”

On November 14, 2017, Allen wrote to the Pinegrove label and to the organizer of a festival where the band was scheduled to perform, alluding to the #MeToo momentum and accusing Hall of “predatory and manipulative behavior toward women.” She stated that she was in touch with a woman accusing Hall of sexual coercion and that this victim was “NOT THE FIRST” (caps in the original email, which Pitchfork reviewed). She also suggested that Hall should step away from performing and get therapy (which she volunteered to provide through PunkTalks); that both the band’s tour and the release of its first album, Skylight, should be canceled; and that a public statement should be made about the situation.

Two days later, in an internal email to the PunkTalks team, Allen wrote that if those conditions were not met, “the original victim and another identified victim plan to speak publicly, which we support 10000%.” She also referred to herself as “working directly to take down the biggest band in indie right now,” a statement from which she backtracked on Twitter several months later.

Pitchfork reports that the accuser subsequently distanced herself from Allen, saying that she never intended to go public and never demanded a public statement from Pinegrove or Hall. However, the accuser did (by her own account) contact various band affiliates to tell them that Hall had “sexually coerced” her. Under the circumstances, the “request” to take time off and go into therapy sounds more like an offer you can’t refuse.

The Pitchfork story also reveals more detail of Hall’s alleged “coercion.” According to a mediator who had worked with Hall and the “alleged victim,” the woman “felt that he coerced her into cheating on her partner with him, and she felt that she said no to him several times…and he continued to pursue her.” On the other hand, “Hall maintained that their relationship progressed mutually but acknowledged the alleged victim’s ‘right to describe her experience however feels true to her.’”

Hall’s other “identified victim” mentioned by Allen turns out to be a Phoenix-based educator and organizer named Autumn Lavis — who emphatically told Pitchfork that she had not been victimized by Hall.

The whole story was insane back in 2017. Time has not done the story any favors. Another great example of the movement going too far.

The new album is great, btw.

Cravis

z5VBX0x.jpg

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It's almost like we developed the concepts of "due process" and "evidence" and "cross examination" specifically to avoid Court of Public Opinion (a.k.a mob rule).

Probably just another patriarchal concept, I'm sure 🤷‍♀️

I found this funny:

the woman “felt that he coerced her into cheating on her partner with him, and she felt that she said no to him several times…and he continued to pursue her.”

One of the most ancient excuses from women who cheat. "I felt guilty for cheating so I'll blame anyone but myself!"

Top Bottom