• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Sterok

Did Fusion mode, because why not. So much pain. Dying in two hits to the first enemies is not cool. Metroids take off so much damage, though they aren't the biggest threat. No, that's the standard enemies that swarm you all the time. Bosses hit so hard, but are easy to predict. Got 3:51, which is extra sweet. Looks like I can consistently hit sub-4 hours.

Did Fusion mode, because why not. So much pain. Dying in two hits to the first enemies is not cool. Metroids take off so much damage, though they aren't the biggest threat. No, that's the standard enemies that swarm you all the time. Bosses hit so hard, but are easy to predict. Got 3:51, which is extra sweet. Looks like I can consistently hit sub-4 hours.

See you at SGDQ?

B_Signal

This may have already been answered, my apologies if I'm asking people to repeat themselves, but I'm stuck on a boss.

I say "a boss" all the boss videos I've watched don't show it, so maybe it's not a boss and that's half my problem

Towards the end of the game
there's a giant Metroid, it's the original type,
I'm locked in the room with it and so far I've been letting it grab me then bombing it. This, more often than not gets me a bit of health and some yellow energy back, but a lot of bombs has so far not got me any further

Any help?

Opa-Pa

This may have already been answered, my apologies if I'm asking people to repeat themselves, but I'm stuck on a boss.

I say "a boss" all the boss videos I've watched don't show it, so maybe it's not a boss and that's half my problem

I'm locked in the room with it and so far I've been letting it grab me then bombing it. This, more often than not gets me a bit of health and some yellow energy back, but a lot of bombs has so far not got me any further

Any help?

Is that the first you encounter? There's more of them, but you have to take them out by freezing them and rapidly firing missiles at them, so use a super missile for good measure.

B_Signal

Is that the first you encounter? There's more of them, but you have to take them out by freezing them and rapidly firing missiles at them, so use a super missile for good measure.

It is. Thank you, I'll give that a go 😊 I was thinking that the ice beam had been underutilised so far

Any help?
Freeze, five missiles.

It is. Thank you, I'll give that a go �� I was thinking that the ice beam had been underutilised so far

One tip I do have with the ice beam is you can melee counter most frozen enemies and they'll instantly shatter

There's an Aeion Ability that drastically increases said counter's range, giving you more distance incase the encased enemy breaks free before the hit connects

Not that it helps considering the stuff said in the spoiler, but it'll help on subsequent playthroughs of the game

Velius

Banned
Ok, so this is more like a Prime version of a 2D Metroid than Metroid 2 or simply reusing Super Metroid as the crutch to make the game.
Kinda like how FFXII is using FFT's Ivalice instead of using the more usual schemas of FFVII/VIII/X.

Ok, so it's modern kinda like in the Xeno games where the game can be hard af but since you're brought back quickly and painlessly enough you're not punished that hard for dying.
It's no Dark Souls I guess.
It can work, not my 1st choice if I were to remake myself but if the whole game is thought around that it's ok.

And I guess this is the biggest problem I have with the concept of the game.
games with hostile environments are a dime a dozen but a game trying to be dreary and succeeding in doing so is exceedingly rare.

Did you play it yet? What do you think?

ASaiyan

Banned
Apologies if this has been asked already, but I tripped over enough spoilers trying to find an answer and am cautious about seeing any more.

r3Ce4Po.jpg

What power-up breaks these blue-and-red blocks, and where can I find it?
I'm at the bottom of Area 4 and it seems like I can't advance to Area 5 without breaking these. I could be wrong though, lol.

TheMoon

What power-up breaks these blue-and-red blocks, and where can I find it?
I'm at the bottom of Area 4 and it seems like I can't advance to Area 5 without breaking these. I could be wrong though, lol.

you are indeed wrong :)

now for some Metroid iconography 101
96xzw.png

Producer

finally finished the game, got 100%. i really tried not to use that scanning ability but i was at like 95% in one area and only had that left to do so i was like whatever haha. its a decent game, for me its better than metroid 1 and 2 but i think i prefer all the other 2d metroids over it.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Final boss spoilers

So was Ridley meant to be a bullet sponge? There were so many phases to that fight and they all took so long. Was I doing something wrong?

TheMoon

Final boss spoilers

So was Ridley meant to be a bullet sponge? There were so many phases to that fight and they all took so long. Was I doing something wrong?

You used the aeion burst shot thing, right? There is also small window for an insta-finish melee counter in the last phase.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
You used the aeion burst shot thing, right? There is also small window for an insta-finish melee counter in the last phase.

Yeah, I used that aeion ability and super missiles. My item collection is only 46% so maybe I was a little bit under powered.

KingBroly

Banned
I'm trying out Fusion mode, and I really must misunderstand the amiibo functionality in this game. It gives me reserve tanks, but only 1 work or something? Maybe I didn't have enough energy built up. I'm not really sure. I really want to try and beat it in under 4 hours, but I feel like that's going to be problematic.

Timeaisis

I finished it. I just thought it was ok. Bosses are awful, awful. Enemies are overused for so many of the same type. Combat was bad with an overreliance on counterattacks. Environments were very similar. Also, there were a number of control issues I had with Samus.

I don't see how some of you consider this to be the best controlling Metroid game, but whatever. Missed space jump timing especially killed me more times than I can count. Made some bosses needlessly frustrating. Morph ball activation is a pain, too.

And I guess that's my biggest takeaway from Samus Returns. When it works, it works well. When it doesn't, it's an aggravating experience.

Surfside

Banned
Finished it. Took me 19 hours to clear with 100% completion. I rather enjoyed my time with it.
The counter strike they added felt satisfying to use.

The bosses were also great. They relied heavily on pattern recognition and you had to be pretty good with Samus's movement options with some of them.

I also liked the new Aeon abilities and the additional resource management they added through them.
I hope the Scan Pulse is a permanent addition to 2d Metroids. As i find it better to know where the items are. With the difficulty consisting of finding a way to them. No more firing missiles at every inch, out of fear you might miss something.

The thing i didn't like are the missiles. I just don't find it exciting to find new missiles as you are really never in danger of runniing out of them.

The other big negative is...the music.
What makes Metroid special to me and elevates it above other metroid like games, is the atmosphere the music helps create. Only the first area had a track that i liked. Had this game the expected Metroid music, it would be my favorite of the 2d ones.

Non the less this is an excellent game and i hope it sold well enough, so that we can get more 2d Metroids in the future.

Wolfe

Finally got a few hours into the game after picking it up a few weeks ago,
really enjoying it (I had Metroid II as a kid but never got anymore than maybe a third of the way through it due to the limitations of the game at the time). Game looks great and while the soundtrack isn't anything special I do enjoy it, particularly the music in the lava/hot rooms. Although admittedly most of the time I forget about the music, which is a bit disappointing given I hold the soundtrack to Super in high regards.

For the 2D Metroid games, I love Metroid 2, Super Metroid is cool but way too easy.
Fusion is sorta nice and I never really cared about Zero Mission (because if I want to play Super Metroid, I have something like 5 ways to do that already).

Not sure I understand this part, Zero Mission is a remake of the first Metroid, not Super.

molnizzle

This game does a really terrible job of telegraphing where you’re supposed to go. Every single floor I end up getting to where I feel I’ve explored the entire map and have nowhere else to go for the last few metroids. Running around the same areas fighting the same enemies over and over and over again. Not fun at all. I wish it would hurry up and end.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
This game does a really terrible job of telegraphing where you’re supposed to go. Every single floor I end up getting to where I feel I’ve explored the entire map and have nowhere else to go for the last few metroids. Running around the same areas fighting the same enemies over and over and over again. Not fun at all. I wish it would hurry up and end.

I don't see how that's possible. Your map always shows a bit you haven't explored if you've not killed all the metroids in the area. Also if you ever really need directions, going to the seal with Metroid DNA will point you to another one. Which is absolutely never necessary.

molnizzle

I don't see how that's possible. Your map always shows a bit you haven't explored if you've not killed all the metroids in the area. Also if you ever really need directions, going to the seal with Metroid DNA will point you to another one. Which is absolutely never necessary.

Points you towards a husk, not the actual Metroid. Also it’s a pain in the ass to have to make your way back to the seal every time. Desperately needs a fast travel or something.

Meh. Game is really overstaying it’s welcome.

Opa-Pa

The metroid locations felt intuitive enough for me, to be honest. The game also has a hint system, a map scanner and teleporters... Not sure what else could be added to help players without totally breaking the focus on exploration.

D.Lo

Points you towards a husk, not the actual Metroid. Also it’s a pain in the ass to have to make your way back to the seal every time. Desperately needs a fast travel or something.
It is literally already the only Metroid with teleporters. AND checkpoints before bosses. And signposts in the direction of the next Metroid. It is the most 'I hate backtracking' friendly Metroid ever made.

SuomiDude

It is literally already the only Metroid with teleporters. AND checkpoints before bosses. And signposts in the direction of the next Metroid. It is the most 'I hate backtracking' friendly Metroid ever made.
Maybe that guy just doesn't like exploring or Metroid-like games in general. Most games now a days seem to be linear paths where you simply can't get lost with a huge arrow pointing towards all the time. So going to this type of game can be overwhelming. Personally I really like exploring in games at my own pace, so even this game feels a bit too much hand-holding.

D.Lo

Maybe that guy just doesn't like exploring or Metroid-like games in general. Most games now a days seem to be linear paths where you simply can't get lost with a huge arrow pointing towards all the time. So going to this type of game can be overwhelming. Personally I really like exploring in games at my own pace, so even this game feels a bit too much hand-holding.
Yep IMO it bordered on making too many concessions in the other direction.

Scan Pulse was a super great feature though, this game's MVP.

TheMoon

Yo, this is Metroid, not Uncharted.

mrkgoo

I never even knew the seal could do that until late in the game.

yuoke

Banned
So basically you don't like what is one of the most noted aspects of metroid games.

KHlover

Banned
So basically you don't like what is one of the most noted aspects of metroid games.
Eh, the other Metroid games did a better job of that despite being more open and sprawling. This game often felt as if the devs really wanted you to use that scan pulse.

TheMoon

Eh, the other Metroid games did a better job of that despite being more open and sprawling. This game often felt as if the devs really wanted you to use that scan pulse.

No. Only Fusion that literally told you where to go next did that "better."

You're stuck? You missed a door or a hole in that wall that is marked on the map. You just need to pay attention and actually uncover all the map corners of rooms you're in. Bombable tiles are often easily identifiable since their texture is different. Also, yea, the scan mechanic is in the game for a reason. But it's not mandatory to use for you to progress.

Meh. Game is really overstaying it’s welcome.
It's not a requirement to return to the seal after each Metroid. You can keep exploring on your own (and the game clearly expects you to, given the very close proximity some of the boss rooms have with each other).

Surfside

Banned

Yes, getting 100% was relatively easy.

molnizzle

I don’t like wasting my time, no.

Other games do this type of thing well. Dark Souls, Symphony of the Night, etc. I never felt utterly lost in those games. There was always another area I had made a mental note of to go back to, or a new ability that seemed like the obvious way to get past something.

In this game it’s seemingly random, like I need to try to blow up every possible inch of map with all my different bombs or test every ceiling with the spider ball. That type of stuff should be for secrets, not the primary progression.

For what it’s worth I had the same complaints about Super Metroid when I first played it on Wii U. If that’s just how these games are then I honestly don’t understand why the series is so believed. Castlevania is far more enjoyable.

Opa-Pa

Other games do this type of thing well. Dark Souls, Symphony of the Night, etc. I never felt utterly lost in those games. There was always another area I had made a mental note of to go back to, or a new ability that seemed like the obvious way to get past something.

In this game it’s seemingly random, like I need to try to blow up every possible inch of map with all my different bombs or test every ceiling with the spider ball. That type of stuff should be for secrets, not the primary progression.

For what it’s worth I had the same complaints about Super Metroid when I first played it on Wii U.
If that’s just joe these games are then I honestly don’t understand why the series is so believed. Castlevania is far more enjoyable.

Well there you go, turns out you like Metroidvanias, not Metroid games. Metroid is all about those things you dislike.

They're not remotely the same, but fans make it really hard to tell for outsiders.

TheMoon

For what it’s worth I had the same complaints about Super Metroid when I first played it on Wii U. If that’s just how these games are then I honestly don’t understand why the series is so believed. Castlevania is far more enjoyable.

This is the one game in the series that literally gives you an ability to show you what you can bomb and what you can't bomb. You're actively fighting this game for no good reason.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I don't like wasting my time, no.

In this game it's seemingly random, like I need to try to blow up every possible inch of map with all my different bombs or test every ceiling with the spider ball. That type of stuff should be for secrets, not the primary progression.

For what it's worth I had the same complaints about Super Metroid when I first played it on Wii U. If that's just how these games are then I honestly don't understand why the series is so believed. Castlevania is far more enjoyable.

Well, there's your problem! It's okay to not like more exploratory games, but this is honestly one of the most straightforward Metroid games in the series. This series might just not be for you.

However I must say, that nothing in the game is random in the way you are describing it. It's no wonder you don't enjoy it if all you're doing is bombing every square inch of the ground.

You need to use your map and the scan pulse more. Your map will always tell you where you haven't explored (you'll note areas that taper off into nothing, i.e. there's no walls that way meaning you haven't gotten far enough there) and if there's items to collect in certain parts and the scan pulse will help finding secrets and giving you more map info through which you can get where to go.

Also no primary progression requires you to do what you describe. Heck only like one secret requires you to climb a huge ceiling with the spiderball.

Red

While faithful to the original game, I find the enemy variety disappointing. Maybe it’s the frequent respawns. I think the combat improvements are great, but because of the repetition and lack of variety it feels underutilized.

I wish the nub on the new 3DS was used to enable dual stick controls. Would have preferred to move while aiming.

boiled goose

good with gravy

If you got lost in this game then wow... You might have some issues with general spatial reasoning. This game is pretty straightforward with navigation.

Please stay away from 3d prime games especially 2 because you will not do well haha.

Navigation and exploration simply not your thing. Perhaps you've been acclimated to following waypoints with horrible game design.

As a critique of the game, i didn't like how the bosses and enemies dont communicate that well their harmful not harmful segments. It was basically guesswork in the challenging boss fight

Top Bottom