• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Zero Mission > Metroid Fusion

SFA_AOK

I beat Zero Mission today. Nice game, liked it a lot better than Fusion (which I'm not a huge fan of). It progressed and opened up nicely and overall there was just something about it that I preffered.

Time: 5 hours 20 minutes, 71% Don't laugh :(

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I have fonder memories of Super Metroid over both...but I'd say MZM and MF were equally pleasant 6-hour games.

Metroid Zero Mission > Metroid Fusion

I agree. Zero Mission is my favorite Metroid game. The better graphics, story, and controls are what make me choose it over Super Metroid. Prime was good but not as fun as Zero or Super to me.

Fusion is second to last right after Metroid 2 in my book.

SFA_AOK

Brandon F said:
I have fonder memories of Super Metroid over both...but I'd say MZM and MF were equally pleasant 6-hour games.

I think I'd say Super Metroid was the best (I've not played Prime yet) out of all of the ones I've played but MZM was close - closer than Fusion certainly.

I'm actually thinking about replaying it which counts for something!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
JC10001 said:
I agree. Personally, I thought Metroid Fusion sucked.

And...I agree with you. And the title.

I didn't buy Fusion or Prime at launch but I remember reading their reviews and how both were totally stellar releases. Bought both the same day...Prime was amazing of course while Fusion was a waste of money. If it wasn't called Metroid it wouldn't be any more interesting than many of the other bland games on gba. Zero Mission had a lot more style to it even though it was short. Super Metroid is probably the best (if Prime isn't included).

I loved both. Personally, I can only see brain damage as the cause of people liking Fusion. "Waah! It tells you where to go! Waah! It's got a story! Waah!" Gimme a break. It's not like Super Metroid is non-linear, for the love of whatever. Sure, you can abuse the walljump to get crap early, but you still have to get stuff more-or-less in order.

And yes, Zero Mission is my favorite 2D Metroid. God does it rock.

But I'm one of those apostates who thinks that Prime is the savior of the world. Go figure.

Kuramu

i agree with the thread title. Zeromission pulled together the tight Fusion gameplay with the exploration of other Metroids, making it my new favorite. it helps that it has the original music too :)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
For me it's:
Fusion > Zero Mission

Fusion had a better atmosphere, and a more fresh feeling to it. I also appreciated the story, and those tense moments when you ran into SA-X. Fusion also felt more polished than Zero Mission, tighter gameplay.

crumbs

I really enjoyed MZM, but was disappointed in Fusion. It was pretty boring, and once I finished it, I had no desire to play it again. Outside of the SA-X business, fusion didn't have much going for it.

Socreges

Banned
We did this to death last February, but no less agreed. I preferred the setting and level design. Story was weaker, though.

I'd say its about even.. but ZM is about 1% better.

Bad trend of pointing out to the gamer where to go in both games though.

MF is also very very linear (although there is one bit you can actually go off the track and piss off Adam :D)

ZM is brilliant. The surprise is great.

Andy787

Banned
I guess I'm in the minority, but I liked Fusion quite a bit more than Zero Mission personally, though I think they're both fantastic. I picked up Zero Mission about a week ago myself, took me 4 hours on the dot with 65%.

I don't know, Fusion just had better atmosphere to me, and finally brought a new direction to the series, and I liked the evil Samus dynamic much more than Zero Mission's now standard environments and enemies (seriously, I realize it's the first game chronologically, but they basically remade it in almost exactly the same mold and design as Super Metroid).

Socreges

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
I liked both but enjoyed Fusion more because there are actual moments of tension.
Hard mode was much better in that respect. Don't know why the fuck they made it an unlockable.
ruffles said:
I enjoyed both, but Fusion gets the edge because it has better bosses than Fusion.
Keep in mind that Fusion had more bosses than Fusion.

I love both games, but I enjoyed Fusion a bit more simply because of the way it played with the traditional Metroid formula, the higher challenge level, and the much, much better boss design.

pops619

I liked both a lot, but I definitely liked Fusion more. Sure, it wasn't as open-ended as the other Metroid games, but instead it was a damn fine action game. It had the perfect level of challenge. I like a game with a lot of good, tough boss battles and Fusion had them. Zero Mission was rarely much of a challenge. That said, I do have to play through hard mode sometime. I'm sure I'd enjoy that more.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
zero mission would be the best if it were longer. It felt like super metroid lite.

I know both can be finished in small amounts of time... a couple hours not even doing a speed run, but I still remember super metroid taking more like 14 or so hours for me to find everything... whereas zero mission was more like 5.

fusion sucked for a metroid game

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Zero Mission is great.. but it is just for the most part a remake of Metroid for the NES..which is weird because I get flashbacks while playing from when I was 9 years old..

Fusion was good too...Liked it almost as much!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Super Metroid is still one of the best games ever made. Thet've tried to equal its awesomeness with varying levels of success, but really, Super Metroid was damn near perfect in every possible respect. Visuals, gameplay, level design, boss design, difficulty balance, music, everything. The whole package was picture perfect.

That said, Zero Mission is the second best Metroid game out there. Fusion was pretty good, but I personally didn't like the setting so much, and that irked me more than the extra hand-holding did.

Can you believe Nintendo found a way to make me like a version of the original Metroid? Unbelievable, no?

ge-man

Here's another nod to MZM. Metroid Fusion lacked the feel of a Metroid game.

Also agree that Super Metroid destroys both. It's not merely a perfect game--it's in my top five list of the greatest games of the 16-bit generation, if not at the very top of that list. I don't think we will every see 2D Metroid ever top that game.

Alucard

Banned
I really like both games. Fusion totally blew me away when I bought it a year ago. I didn't at all mind that it kind of spoonfed the player by telling you which sector to go to next. However, Zero Mission has proven to be the game with more staying power. I've played through it 4 times now and gotten 4 different endings. I think I've got another 3 to go. It's just an incredibly polished and stylish game. But Fusion is too IMO. Both games are on my list of my top 5 favourite GBA games.

Anyanka

I didn't think much of Fusion. Well, it's pretty cool, but it doesn't stand up to SM or ZM. I didn't care for the atmosphere and the story stuff sucked. Having a story and lots of text cut scenes isn't the problem, it's that they weren't very good and the plot just wasn't interesting. The SA-X encounters were tense, but the rest of the story was lame.

I agree that Zero Mission might be slightly better, but Fusion had a great difficulty level from the get-go. I remember getting totally bent over by some bosses. SA-X in particular could take me down in a shot or two. You can't feel anything but proud after you've beaten a particularly rough area in Fusion.

All in all, they are two different approaches to the same type of game. Both are really well done and suck you into the world and story in different ways.

SFA_AOK

Is my memory playing tricks or was Super Metroid a lot bigger than ZM/Fusion? It really was a great game and I agree it's one one of the best games that gen.

I can't place my finger on what I disliked about Fusion. I don't mind hand holding usually but I think it was a bit overboard in Fusion. I didn't like the chats with computer either, part of a metroid game for me is being isolated on a planet.

I really need to get round to playing Prime...

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
The one thing that makes Zero Mission so awesome is the feeling of power you get with each weapon/part upgrade. And how much they play into the puzzles (which are laid out very free roaming like) hard to think that this game was made during the 8 bit years

Ryck

Imo Zero Mission > Fusion although I like both better than Super Metroid which was still an awesome game ( I didn't play super until after the other two so I don't have any nostalgic memories to put it on a pedestal ) It just dosen't control as well as the other two .....

I just wanted to say.. I can't remember which one the boss was in but that gravity/nightmare boss was good fun and hard as nails if you don't have enough energy tank. Spider was horrific too. Love a good challenge. I might be revising my preferences now that I think about it.. Maybe not. They've both got their good and bad. Fusion's bosses were awesome (I think nightmare was from there); ZM was just that bit too easy.

like I said 0.1% difference. I like them both

LakeEarth

I was dissapointed with the linearity of Fusion, but that doesn't deny what I did like about it. It was actually pretty difficult (the enemies actually made a decent dent in your energy), and anything involving the SA-X was awsome... I wish they could make that for a future Prime edition.

I really should give it another shot. After I beat it I was dissapointed and didn't play it again. When I have time, heh.

Top Bottom