• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mevius Final Fantasy (iOS/And) announced: Kitase/Nojima/Itahana, console level [INFO]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm OK with him doing this game.

As long as it's not Ito....Ito needs to be in charge of XVI!

Ito's last project started in around July 2013: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=633101

RPGSite said:
RPG Site: I can see Nomura-san's crew need the room back for their next interview, so I'm going to wrap up by betraying my inner fan and ask a more specific talent question - Hiroyuki Ito, the creator of ATB, the director of FF9 - my favourite, which of course you produced - and FF12... Is he still at the company - and is he working on anything that we already know about?

Hashimoto: [laughs] You're a very unique journalist, asking about Ito-san! Yeah. He's still at Square Enix. He's been planning and doing some proposals for a new project at the moment, so... Really, he's the kind of guy that wants to challenge new things all the time, so, yeah. At the moment, he's doing... [laughs] He's putting some ideas together.

RPG Site: I'm very interested to see what he does next. For RPG gameplay systems I really do feel he's one of the best there is; one of your strongest assets.

Hashimoto: Like you say, he's very talented and very involved. He's very, very in-depth... he likes the depth of the gameplay systems side of things. He really loves to go really deep on mechanics and things, and that takes time. I'm very excited to see his ideas soon!

I wonder when Mevius actually started development. If we're talking about a project that was just dreamt up and proposed by Ito himself, I feel it's probably not on the scale of a mainline Final Fantasy, and a year and a half would likely be enough time to get it to a showable state.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Interesting details. I'll need to see more, but it sounds like they're aiming for something that meshes modern and old-school sensibilities, which I'm cool with.

Cant wait for screenshots and gameplay

Im still waiting on the Mobile JRPG scene to escalate itself beyond what we have seen so far.

Will this be the one?

duckroll

I wonder why they didn't show this on the FF for Smartphones 2015 showcase thing, is the game not planned for 2015? Or maybe it's such a big game they decided it needed its own thing on Jump Festa or something... This is the seemingly first big FF game for smart devices that's not a port or remake after all.

It's due in Spring 2015. That's a good point actually. They had a big FF Smartphones event, and they didn't show this. Maybe it just wasn't ready?

Amir0x

Banned
i guess one day I will have to buy a smartphone or something that uses iOS or Android. There's a pretty decent backlog of games I want at this point.

Goli

Im still waiting on the Mobile JRPG scene to escalate itself beyond what we have seen so far.

Will this be the one?

I think that now that Chaos Rings III is out and with Mevius FF announced, going forward SE will likely keep doing more high quality projects for smart devices, that is what they have said after all, and I think they're slowly doing it, for both paid and free games.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Hopefully its ported to consoles eventually. I don't play games on my phone and i doubt it could handle them either.

Shouta

This seems like they took the concept of FF1 and spun it with different details to create something new. I hope they'll put some direct media up for it soon.

If they borrow the controls from DQ mobile and not the awful FF ports then I'm happy. Or if they come up with a better control system.

I've been playing FF2 on my iPhone and the basic buttons are so poorly implemented its annoying.

i guess one day I will have to buy a smartphone or something that uses iOS or Android. There's a pretty decent backlog of games I want at this point.

I used to be like you. It was exciting for a week to check out lauded phone games, but then I slowly came to the realization that, yes, standards have slipped dramatically due to the nature of the marketplace, the control scheme, and the device.

Goli

If they borrow the controls from DQ mobile and not the awful FF ports then I'm happy. Or if they come up with a better control system.

I've been playing FF2 on my iPhone and the basic buttons are so poorly implemented its annoying.

FF and FFII were their first ports and their lack of understanding regarding touch screens is very noticeable, but since then they've improved a lot. FFV and VI's remakes control a lot better, way better than the DQ ports.

FF and FFII were their first ports and their lack of understanding regarding touch screens is very noticeable, but since then they've improved a lot. FFV and VI's remakes control a lot better, way better than the DQ ports.

Ah I see, I have yet to play those ones. Personally I like the DQ controls because I can play it one handed while walking my dog, which is when I spend the most time playing mobile games.

udivision

Half of the backlog of iOS games I want to play are no longer compatible with the latest iOS.

That took the wind right out of my "catch up" sails.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
If this was the game that they were going to announce this month then I've lost all faith in this company.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If this was the game that they were going to announce this month then I've lost all faith in this company.

Yeah, i think it was. They are literally making fun of the console community now. First with "Final Fantasy 7 returns on PS4! as a port of the original game" to "console level title in development! on mobile phones"

Nah the console game they teased is probably SaGa 2015 for Vita (Square has a loose definition of 'console' and they said it wasn't an FF or DQ).

18-Volt

Will this be the one?

I'm waiting for whole gaming scene on iOS to take off. So far nothing, bunch of ports. I'm hoping too this game will change everything we know about iOS gaming. I think it is the time for a full console style priced AAA game for iOS.

Though I'll be double dipping when they announce a port to PS Vita.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
If Ito is directing this then Toriyama is on something bigger... I pray T.T

Why announcing a game without revealing the director btw?

I don't understand what "automated map movement" means... is the journey completely on rails? Still, I'm cautiously optimistic, as long as it's not F2P. Sure, I'd rather have it on a console, but if this is the only way to have an old-school turn-based/ATB FF game again, so be it.

I don't understand what "automated map movement" means... is the journey completely on rails? Still, I'm cautiously optimistic, as long as it's not F2P. Sure, I'd rather have it on a console, but if this is the only way to have an old-school turn-based/ATB FF game again, so be it.

You probably choose to go to X town or dungeon from a menu then you watch a cutscene of your party going there on foot/chocobo/car/whatever. All in cinematic 30fps.

You probably choose to go to X town or dungeon from a menu then you watch a cutscene of your party going there on foot/chocobo/car/whatever. All in cinematic 30fps.

Ah okay. The lack of an overworld map would be disappointing, but being able to choose your destination would be better than having no freedom of movement at all at least.

Reveirg

I'm a bit dumbfounded that they don't make these so-called "console-like" games available digitally on other consoles, like so many other devs (a lot of them indie devs which a LOT less resources). Sorry if that sounds like port-begging, but I'm mostly just wondering why they don't do it. Maybe someone has an answer (technical or otherwise).

Will try it either way if it hits North America eventually.

Ah okay. The lack of an overworld map would be disappointing, but being able to choose your destination would be better than having no freedom of movement at all at least.

I think it might be like FF Tactics, which was a fantastic game despite this lack of exploration.

Goli

I'm a bit dumbfounded that they don't make these so-called "console-like" games available digitally on other consoles, like so many other devs (a lot of them indie devs which a LOT less resources). Sorry if that sounds like port-begging, but I'm mostly just wondering why they don't do it. Maybe someone has an answer (technical or otherwise).

Will try it either way if it hits North America eventually.

Part of the selling point of the game seems to be is it being unlike usual mobile games regarding production values and scale, but that point wouldn't work on consoles where several other similar games exist. And if they do plan on releasing it on other platforms at some point, delaying their release until some time after the mobile version is out could help them have people talk about the game again and other marketing strategies like it.

timshundo

"There map movement in the game will be automated, but the gameplay systems will be like a traditional FF"

Hopefully this means something like FFXIII-2's Historia Crux?

I think it might be like FF Tactics, which was a fantastic game despite this lack of exploration.

I was personally thinking something like Grandia. If it's just like that(and towns and dungeons are still rather large and fully explorable, but you go to locations via map with location nodes), I can get behind it(I actually would love a full-sized game, traditional world map included, but sometimes you gotta take what you get as long as it's not lazy). If it's just event to battle to event, that shit don't float my boat(and now way would that be up to par with console games, IMO).

Amir0x

Banned
I bought an iPad Mini in November, one of the best purchases I've made in years.

Yeah I'd be getting an Android if anything, Apple is not for me. Not really in my budget now but this year has definitely finally put me over the top, enough genuinely good games that it's a platform I finally feel like I'm missing out on things.

Why not just play on a Android emulator?

It didn't seem like a smart direction to go because so many iOS/Android games require touch controls.

Seeing the images the others hinted out(before anybody bugs me, I'm not directing anybody to them), I'm really disliking this guy's design. The fuckin tribal tattoos... urgh! I think the world looks interesting. I get a mystical fantasy vibe from it(though that kinda contrasts with the hero's look, which has an, urgh, fully exposed back). The hero, to me, is a cross between Sydney Lossarot and FFI's Warrior of Light, with some of those classic Nomura tribal tattoos(y'know, when he was into that big street, "urban chic" trend in the mid-00s).

Finalow

where's Ito game, Hashimoto, where.
-

mobile game + Nojima + "warriors of light theme" = top tier writing
anyway, not even remotely interested in this game but I hope that they can change my mind soon enough.

Go_Ly_Dow

maybe Uematsu is doing the OST?

he said something a few months ago about want to get some old guys together and produce an old-school style FF

Seeing the images the others hinted out(before anybody bugs me, I'm not directing anybody to them), I'm really disliking this guy's design. The fuckin tribal tattoos... urgh! I think the world looks interesting. I get a mystical fantasy vibe from it(though that kinda contrasts with the hero's look, which has an, urgh, fully exposed back).

OMG yeah :x He's like Dante meets Sidney Losstarot meets Nier Replicant gone horribly wrong. Plus he is shown wielding different swords and all of them look ridiculous :/

And the logo is basically "dat ass".

TI82

Banned
Did that level 5 mobile game ever release in America? Wonder Flick. Was on mobile, vita and ps4. Looked really cool

Top Bottom