• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV is one of the best games ever made...

Coreda

So was checking the Nexus for new mods and came across a camo index display mod. Can't remember how many times I've seen this requested in the past.

Sd1tOJk.jpg

Funny thing: you didn't have to repeat the missions from Act 1 for the new storymissions in Act 2. Yes, they were optional.
You only had to do the golden sideops, which weren't hardmodes from Act 1 as far as i remember.

are you f*cking serious.

I Always prioritized the missions Before the "golden side ops"

what a way to ruin my experience god damnit.

Well guess I go back and play those golden side ops now and just skip the filler missions (if possible?)

I still havent found out what happend to the "flying" Little kid....never saw any cutscene regarding that so I guess I have something to come back to. Was he psycho mantis hmmm

Freeman76

Yup it's a great game. 93 on Metacritic.

Plus just like the equally amazing MGS4, the backlash on this site was overblown when people turned on the game smh.

It always is on GAF though, ironically as one of the more serious gaming forums its the place you want to take least notice of peoples opinions.

Myriadis

It is the second-best MGS ever made, right behind MGS3. And that's without mods. Absolutely enjoyed the time. Yes the story was rushed and not the best but in the end it felt fairly complete to me, but due to the open world structure quite a lot of it was optional.

I agree MGSV is the best game.

More people should play it on PC too, last I checked I had like 3000+ hours on it...

4XV46-EEZTL-6W5P3
CHMAC-8ZQQE-AR4CF
TLYBX-HL533-MFJ8Y
KE94M-F5GXX-L7PQL
5CAJR-40DQ4-73WH3

Hopefully, 5 more people play it on PC now. Enjoy

As generous as this is, you should make it so that only those who quote it can use it. (I think it was ?) Likely they are all taken by lurkers now.

I've been playing this game in Japanese, thanks to the dual audio the PC version boasts, and it's so much more enjoyable to listen to. I never realized how much I couldn't stand the English voice work, barring Miller, Huey, and a few others, but it's great. Should have expected much after playing GZ in Japanese. Otsuka's "ROCKETO PUUUUNNCCHH!!!!" is much more pleasant to listen to than Kiefer's "racket punch."

Ratrat

I've been playing this game in Japanese, thanks to the dual audio the PC version boasts, and it's so much more enjoyable to listen to. I never realized how much I couldn't stand the English voice work, barring Miller, Huey, and a few others, but it's great. Should have expected much after playing GZ in Japanese. Otsuka's "ROCKETO PUUUUNNCCHH!!!!" is much more pleasant to listen to than Kiefer's "racket punch."
Yes! The Japanese dub is way better for not just V but all the games.

Jumeira

Banned
MGS4 is much, much, much better than MGSV.
No. It's a mess of a game. Utter shit. Terrible gunplay and story. The worm that Snake does to move around is one of the most tragic things to happen to the series, like they ran out of ideas.

MGS5 is however, mechanically, one of the best games ever made.

MUnited83

For you.
No. It's a mess of a game. Utter shit. Terrible gunplay and story. The worm that Snake does to move around is one of the most tragic things to happen to the series, like they ran out of ideas.

MGS5 is however, mechanically, one of the best games ever made.
Nah. The story is great and controls are pretty good (better than previous titles). Level design is top notch. The only good thing about MGSV is the perfect controls. Sadly the open world design is shit, the boss battles are shit, and the bosses are shit.
I really wish MGSV was more like Ground Zeroes.

Also MGO2 is one of the best online experiences that has ever existed. Thankfully the community is keeping it alive.

Alienous

Nah. The story is great and controls are pretty good (better than previous titles). Level design is top notch. The only good thing about MGSV is the perfect controls. Sadly the open world design is shit, the boss battles are shit, and the bosses are shit.
I really wish MGSV was more like Ground Zeroes.

Imagine MGSV gameplay in an area as dense and alive as MGS4's Act 1.

Now understand that you will never play this game.

Truant

I hated 5 at first.

Then a year later I was craving some stealth action and re-installed it on my new computer. I realized I didn't give a shit about the MGS story anyway, so why should it matter here?

This instantly changed how I viewed the game, and I now love it. It would be cool to see what it would be like if Kojima had another year to finish it.

Alienous

The only thing it lacked is more complex and fleshed out interiors.
Shame about that, really.

Yeah, you do play a lot of it feeling on the exterior of things. My level design highlights for that game basically all take place indoors, such as at the airport. You just don't get the sense of infiltration when you're still outside.

As far as open world games go Watch Dogs 2 impressed me in that regard - they take you into unique, designed interiors really often.

I love the game, but don't really feel any need to try the mods. The gameplay is great and I can have lots of fun with it, then leave it at that. It's the developers creative vision, it's how they wanted it to be played, and I like that. It's like modifying art, it can of course be more appealing to the individual, but it also loses some of its creators influence, which is what I'm playing it for to begin with.

I recently played through it for the first time (Janury-February) and all the way through act 1 I considered it to be the best game I had ever played. No doubts

Same for me. The first 10-20 hours I was thinking I was playing the greatest game ever. But slowly, doubts crept in due to story structure/pacing, boss fights with the Skulls and the realisation that Afghanistan and Africa were the only environments (basically) -- was expecting more variation or levels like Camp Omega.

I was somewhat surprised the story ended where it did; It left me extremely disappointed. I was expecting at least another chapter to flesh everything out. However after a few days I got over it and realised it is still a very good game regardless. I had amazing fun with it.

Those mods make me want a gaming PC though! I'd love some mods to make most missions subsistence and on a harder difficulty like on Ground Zeroes. It would take immersion and fun and a different level for me.

RefigeKru

Banned
Imagine MGSV gameplay in an area as dense and alive as MGS4's Act 1.

Now understand that you will never play this game.

This is a shame, what could have been.

Replaying MGSV at the moment though, undeniably quality. MGS4 online was 10x better than this mess though.

Nottle

I definitely liked the gameplay already. I'll need to look up mods.

Man MGSV could have been the best game ever if they just removed dozens of filler hours and the loose ends, or if they actually finished and edited everything properly so it flowed and twisted in more satisfying ways.

Even vanilla MGSV is one of the best games ever made, imo. The issue with the game is it just needed a bit more time so the last portion could be completed. That said, it's up there with some of my favourite games in terms of how much I enjoyed it.

ScOULaris

I couldn't disagree more. I'm a Metal Gear Solid superfan, and I couldn't even bring myself to finish MGSV. One of my all-time greatest gaming disappointments.

Yup it's a great game. 93 on Metacritic.

Plus just like the equally amazing MGS4, the backlash on this site was overblown when people turned on the game smh.

they did ?

just wish some the structures were more detailed

are there any mods that add in locations from the old games or alter the landsacpe in a big way ?

For those who hated the game when it came out and thought it was kinda boring or something, I urge you to try it again now, you might actually love it for some reason. I don't know why but I've seen it happen a lot with this game.

Bustanen

Only MGS besides Twin snakes that I have sold. No intention to ever play it again. Gameplay and Quiet were good, everything else is trash.

h#shdem0n

I'm playing MGS 5 on PC and my god, it's so fucking good. Put 89 hours into it before. Only a few games I've played that much, one of them being the original Dark Souls.

I wasn't a MGS fanboy, in fact I never even finished any other MGS game. So I don't care if it's a departure for the franchise. It's just fun as fuck to play.

Gameplay wise I agree 100 %.

And that's without mods. This game is fucking incredible, story issues weren't enough to bring it down for me.

For those who hated the game when it came out and thought it was kinda boring or something, I urge you to try it again now, you might actually love it for some reason. I don't know why but I've seen it happen a lot with this game.

I think it's easy to avoid the stuff that you don't like on a second playthrough. I largely avoided side ops on my when I replayed it on PC. I did not get burnt out on the game before finishing it. I also avoided the FOB stuff entirely, that mode only makes the main game more frustrating if I'm being honest.

I love the game, but don't really feel any need to try the mods. The gameplay is great and I can have lots of fun with it, then leave it at that. It's the developers creative vision, it's how they wanted it to be played, and I like that. It's like modifying art, it can of course be more appealing to the individual, but it also loses some of its creators influence, which is what I'm playing it for to begin with.

Well, even developers can never make the perfect game they want. I'm sure if Kojima had more time to polish his games, he would have done so. Especially for MGS3, pretty much every new mechanic in that game was half baked.

Other than giving Quiet clothes, none of the other mods I've listed really mess with the creator's vision. It's still the same game, but it simply gives some needed quality of life improvements as well as expanding the game to be far more replayable.

Yeah, you do play a lot of it feeling on the exterior of things. My level design highlights for that game basically all take place indoors, such as at the airport. You just don't get the sense of infiltration when you're still outside.

As far as open world games go Watch Dogs 2 impressed me in that regard - they take you into unique, designed interiors really often.

I would argue that the mechanics of MGSV were tweaked mainly for expansive outdoor environments. That's why I consider Ground Zeroes to be overly easy, too many recognizable props and corners to hide behind. It's a lot more tense looking around for even the smallest piece of rock cover or grass to keep Snake hidden.

Slythe

One of the best games I've ever played without mods. This game perfected stealth action and base invading. I was let down by the story (and hated the way certain characters were completely mishandled) but I actually liked the ending and the statement it made on hero worship.

I put in 90 hours and it was effortless. I could not put it down. For a third person action game that is quite impressive.

Zakalwe

Banned
It always is on GAF though, ironically as one of the more serious gaming forums its the place you want to take least notice of peoples opinions.

I don't think this is fair.

Like, saying "the game is a mistake, it's nothing but trash" is obviously ignore worthy, but what about those of us who were so turned off my the way the story was handled that the core game just lost its appeal?

Same reason why so many can't get down with XV, and that's my GOTY and I /get/ their reaction.

MGSV has always had incredible TPS gameplay, very probably the best TPS gameplay we've seen so far, but that's not all there is to consider /especially/ as it's a MGS game.

Much like XV was always going to have its detractors due to problematic dev cycle and re-designs, MGSVs terrible handling of the story and lore was always going to irk those in the fanbase for whom these things were a primary draw.

Reading the OP, and never having played any version of MGSV, these do sound like options that should have been in the game to begin with.

I often wish Devs would open their games up better for people to F around with more. There may be a core experience you want to preserve in the first instance as far as possible, but why to God limit what people can do with it after.

I believe in heavy customisation as a fundamental principle, but one thing the Steam controller showed me is the importance of scaling that customisation well so that people aren't overwhelmed with options, but can still change what they want. It is a tricky balance, I can understand that.

Jag

Never played a MGS game before, but I bought V for PC. My only fear is the unskippable cutscenes because I hate them. If I can mod in a skip feature, that would be lovely.

Q8D3vil

One of the worst game ever made.
Gameplay is good but its worth shit if u have nothing to do with it. I wish it was couple of bases that are similar to ground zero base.

I often wish Devs would open their games up better for people to F around with more. There may be a core experience you want to preserve in the first instance as far as possible, but why to God limit what people can do with it after.

MGS games are notoriously replayable. Something tells me those options would have been implemented had the split not happen between Kojima and Konami, separating him from the team in the final months of development. Quite a few games add in New Game+ in post-release patches, for example, and I'm sure that would have been the case here if the team had any direction whatsoever towards TPP's launch.

Zakalwe

Banned
Never played a MGS game before, but I bought V for PC. My only fear is the unskippable cutscenes because I hate them. If I can mod in a skip feature, that would be lovely.
Do you have any interest in playing them? Because you can play the first two on PC, and they're really great games still.

The series is seminal, I'd really recommend it.

Do you have any interest in playing them? Because you can play the first two on PC, and they're really great games still.

The series is seminal, I'd really recommend it.

You'd have better luck with an emulator, or buying the Legacy collection on PS3.

MGS1 and MGS2 PC are bad versions of great games, especially the second one.

Even as a big stealth fan and a moderate fan of MGS, I still haven't bought Phantom Pain because it looked too repetitive. Ride in helicopter, sprint across half the country, knock two guys out, fulton a guy, and leave. Didn't seem like a great use of time.

Is there a video showing great gameplay going on?

Everytime I play MGSV it's just me doing the cheesiest shit ever. Not because I actively looked to "break" the game but just because it was always the most obvious and easiest route to take.

I didn't go through the game playing it like a shooter, but most missions were basically me going prone through the grass, killing people with a silenced weapon if they were in the path I needed to be, and that's about it.
Big Saru is I think one of the more popular users for good gameplay
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ8yfRnlCBc (taking out Quiet with close quarters moves)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6JzJWDgNYI (another; toying with her with decoys)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccJbSSMQjbU (the honey bee mission)

This is one of my own fave short little camp raids
- https://youtu.be/gjSUgPUCPrk?t=373

and i've always like this short segment is a good example of just how 'smooth' the gameplay is -- just the way Snake transitions from running, climbing, kneeling, third-person, first-person, headshot, object interaction - just smooth like silk
- https://youtu.be/rtDzL3JcwbY?t=112

that's from a bigger 'Snake Eater DLC' video that shows off a lot of the games CQC counters
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6lxL30hLvQ

I put together a quick new one with a bunch of gameplay features too that kinda show why pulling off maneuvers in V are so satisfying
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4xt3CcgTZc

One of the most satisfying ways to feel the smoothness of V is to do infiltrate Da Walia village (where you rescue Kaz) through the dead center of the village at night. No rifle. No nightvision. No HUD/No Markers/No Reflex. Just basic camo, a pistol, and an assault rifle with a flashlight. Head dead straight through the village, climbing through windows and over building crossways; jumping between roofs and doing CQC takedowns through windows or disarms from around corners.

As fun as it can be to snipe from a distance or tranq everything with a silencer (as you said, it's easy to fall into that cycle for every mission), where the gameplay really excels is at night, with a flashlight, and just CQC and a lethal close quarters gun. imo :p best pure stealth-action infiltration game in the series in that regard.

Big Saru is I think one of the more popular users for good gameplay
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ8yfRnlCBc (taking out Quiet with close quarters moves)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6JzJWDgNYI (another; toying with her with decoys)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccJbSSMQjbU (the honey bee mission)

This is one of my own fave short little camp raids
- https://youtu.be/gjSUgPUCPrk?t=373

and i've always like this short segment is a good example of just how 'smooth' the gameplay is -- just the way Snake transitions from running, climbing, kneeling, third-person, first-person, headshot, object interaction - just smooth like silk
- https://youtu.be/rtDzL3JcwbY?t=112

that's from a bigger 'Snake Eater DLC' video that shows off a lot of the games CQC counters
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6lxL30hLvQ

I put together a quick new one with a bunch of gameplay features too that kinda show why pulling off maneuvers in V are so satisfying
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4xt3CcgTZc

One of the most satisfying ways to feel the smoothness of V is to do infiltrate Da Walia village (where you rescue Kaz) through the dead center of the village at night. No rifle. No nightvision. No HUD/No Markers/No Reflex. Just basic camo, a pistol, and an assault rifle with a flashlight. Head dead straight through the village, climbing through windows and over building crossways; jumping between roofs and doing CQC takedowns through windows or disarms from around corners.

As fun as it can be to snipe from a distance or tranq everything with a silencer (as you said, it's easy to fall into that cycle for every mission), where the gameplay really excels is at night, with a flashlight, and just CQC and a lethal close quarters gun. imo :p best pure stealth-action infiltration game in the series in that regard.

Ughh. looking at this stuff makes me wish the newest Ghost Recon controlled even half as well as MGSV.

I feel like MGSV really has set a new bar in how to control a TPS. However, many developers seem to still be sticking with the stiffy last gen feel.

ghostwich

Ughh. looking at this stuff makes me wish the newest Ghost Recon controlled even half as well as MGSV.

I feel like MGSV really has set a new bar in how to control a TPS. However, many developers seem to still be sticking with the stiffy last gen feel.

Excellent point. Camera control (and transition to first-person-view) is also quite good with MGSV.

Yeah definitely that transition is exactly what I meant with that 2nd video of mine (5th link) ... the way Snake comes up over the shipping cannister and smoothly bends into a crawl, and the way the camera swings in behind from from third-person to third-person over the shoulder aiming, to first person. Smooth as silk.

Even the sound: the pop of the gun, the splatter of the headshot, the drum of the mission complete, the chime of mission complete. The game just looks, sounds, and feels so damn smooth.

If there was ever any wonder why MGS V didn't have more content for its development length, I suppose it was because they just spent so much damn time perfecting the engine.

Which makes the fact that so much investment in the engine that won't be used for more sequels a pretty sad fact. I mean, with the engine done, most of the work would be purely on content. More Acts; more regions; even a sequel using the exact same engine and core assets. Would have been such smooth sailing :(

Well, hopefully Metal Gear Survive is fun at least :( Maybe crystal-zombies will be fun to CQC and head shot in a sort of 'shooting the heads of droids' in sort of Binary Domain way.

Top Bottom