• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft allows for native Xbox games in latest beta Windows 10 Update, State of Decay for free for testers.

ThaPhantom

This is great. I built a gaming PC because consoles seem to have plateau'd in my eyes and I was worried about not being able to play some MS games but if they are doing this I can still be a part of their ecosystem. Pretty happy about this if they follow through with it and they'll get purchases from me for years to come.

DanielsM

Banned
The whole Idea is to not tie down the games people love to one specific box. #Thinkalittle.

Exactly, the hardware is optional, eventually it can be mothballed with Window Phone (Lumia), Band, Kinect, etc once all the users are moved. The irony of your twitter handle. The big pub/devs really have no incentive to target Xbox next (I suspect the rumors are trueish on that there will be new hardware but its dead man walking if the all this is announced, its mostly dead now to be honest), not really - nothing really different than how they wound Windows Phone down, except they can move some of the Xbox users, that wasn't really possible with WP users.

I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
That's the thing. If they successfully merge Xbox and PC, you can buy the game and do whatever you want. Prefer simplicity - play on a console. Want to tweak things more than closed systems allow, play on PC. I'm a PS4 only player, but have seen this coming and I think its a brilliant idea. They have not been able to successfully dominate the sales of games for either their Xbox or PC store, and being the first to merge gives them a possible big selling point against the market leaders of both console and PC.

Does not do much for me as a non-PC player, but I know I am in the minority being console only. and my kids play both and on Switch, and on ios which I have no doubt will be integrated too. That they are even making inroads on Switch is surprising to me, but in a good way.

As of now they haven't convinced me I will be switching back (was Xbox only since OG Xbox came out until PS4), but if Sony doesn't let me play my PS4 digital catalog for free on PS5, the benefits to the kids from switching back to Xbox will outweigh the exclusives advantage of PS to me.

At the end of the day is anyone but Nintendo really profiting much just from console sales? I'm pretty sure software and services are where the money is at with consoles as the foot in the door. Maybe this will hurt console sales, maybe not, but if they sell more software than before they won't care either way I bet how many console units they move. Just my guess anyway.
Why would you go ham on console sales (one time payment for hardware) when you can generate revenue consistently with software that's ever expanding and can pay more than once? GaaS games and services are definitely where the bulk of profit is made. Software can pay for years well after its made. That's where the smart money is going...

I personally wouldn't use state of the decay to promote this. Maybe Ninja Gaiden Black or Lost Odyssey which are beloved favorites. But that is just me.

Gavon West

Another blow to non gaming pc xbox gamers. Just takes away the pool of people to play in multiplayer games. I can't see anyone with xbox wanting to play against anyone with a unregulated pc version with aimbot software and any other mods they please. So phil can sell game pass to all 3 PC players who are interested to RIP out the xbox 360 emulator or troll console gamers with aim bots and God mods. If I was a 3rd party I would forbid my games to be released like this. I won't play any online game that I cant cut off players using this mode. So frustrating ms going after a Almost non existent market at the cost of thier core market.
SoT is actually one of the first games where you can choose if you want PC gamers included. No doubt they'll do the same thing with other games once this is fully out in the wild.

DanielsM

Banned
Why would you go ham on console sales (one time payment for hardware) when you can generate revenue consistently with software that's ever expanding and can pay more than once? GaaS games and services are definitely where the bulk of profit is made. Software can pay for years well after its made. That's where the smart money is going...

Where are you getting this from, the "bulk of the profits"?

I mean, there are different gaming segments for a reason. World of Warcraft made probably a good chunk of change during its run, but for each WoW there might be 10 losers that 10s if not 100s of million trying to get to market. Yes, there are some big games that have made money as more of a service type model, but those are kind far and few between. Look at Destiny, its sold very well by most standards but its probably a borderline loser from the POV of Activision which is why they cancelled the contract - masses amount of money to develop/maintain and no guarantee it will make much back.

I agree that some big titles can make some big money, but that doesn't mean the market can have 50 of them released every year. Microsoft wants people to use their "Platform" but without the hardware their just another provider among many, they are going to have to compete in a more even and cruel environment.

Last edited:

Gavon West

I mean, there are different gaming segments for a reason. World of Warcraft made probably a good chunk of change during its run, but for each WoW there might be 10 losers that 10s if not 100s of million trying to get to market. Yes, there are some big games that have made money as more of a service type model, but those are kind far and few between. Look at Destiny, its sold very well by most standards but its probably a borderline loser from the POV of Activision which is why they cancelled the contract - masses amount of money to develop/maintain and no guarantee it will make much back.

I agree that some big titles can make some big money, but that doesn't mean the market can have 50 of them released every year. Microsoft wants people to use their "Platform" but without the hardware their just another provider among many, they are going to have to compete in a more even and cruel environment.
Consoles will always be around but they aren't the be all end all anymore. Next gen, even less so. You guys are so hung up on console sells. That time is over.

You only make money once with a console. You make residual revenue with software and services. Not saying consoles aren't important, they are. Just not AS important to gauge success these days.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
SoT is actually one of the first games where you can choose if you want PC gamers included. No doubt they'll do the same thing with other games once this is fully out in the wild.
I am sure they will but my point still stands it reduces the online player base of the xbox if people trade in xbox one x for pc version of games. Good for pc players and people who wanted the 360 and OG xbox emulator but bad for xbox online players. It's a dumb move I could understand a cloud version that could be regulated and emulators protected. People are not leaving steam so this will get Almost 0 sales but will result in theft of thier most valuable IPs and pissing off the last of thier loyal base. I see no win here at all for MS a fools errand.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member

They won't stop selling consoles, so that's no issue at all.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Consoles will always be around but they aren't the be all end all anymore. Next gen, even less so. You guys are so hung up on console sells. That time is over.

You only make money once with a console. You make residual revenue with software and services. Not saying consoles aren't important, they are. Just not AS important to gauge success these days.

Console sales are still very much important, especially based on the fact that cloud gaming may not even be a huge factor next generation. If they continue to sell close to 100 million consoles next generation, then it's only going to keep games in the PlayStation eco-system. Xbox fans on here believe the XCloud is going to take over next generation or be a huge factor when it could very have a niche audience.

DanielsM

Banned

People use all types of devices to play games, so when you say stuff like, "you guys are hung up...." , lots of people play on PC with Steam or other providers. 100s of millions if not billions play on all types of devices (consoles, phones, PCs, tablets, raspberry pis, etc.) - what is changing there? Nothing. It may or may not be a smart move for Microsoft to get out of this market section, I don't know. I mean I can understand, I'm not only not surprised by it - I've been telling friends and family this for years about the Microsoft consumer product. (Which I was and still am a user of)

Everyone knows they want services and people to pay for services, I just don't think there are any services people are interested in, I just think of them as I do with the rest of the providers. IMO, Once you (Microsoft) get away from the restricted hardware, than all you are is an optional service provider which can be locked out of a segment, see Valve with iOS. Companies use Microsoft services on the business/enterprise side, as there is a need and there is legacy to protect/use, now maybe Microsoft will be successful, I'm just not sure I see them really doing well in the consumer side, but that really isn't the point of my discussion.

You might be right, maybe they are making the right decisions - to me this is actually what they have been doing on the business side for 5-7 years, I'm just not sure there is really a need for their "service" and they are way late to the market, but maybe that is another discussion. I actually don't necessarily disagree with you but Microsoft could have been competing for years on this front, yet, they either don't compete or fold like a stack of cards, generally. I just look at Microsoft at this stage as just another provider (services) and generally I would say a bad record outside of Xbox (and even bad within Xbox at times) on the consumer side. They're really not doing anything others haven't been doing for sometime which is what is confusing to me - lots of excitement but I have no idea why.

At this point, they are just another publisher/developer like EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc. and there isn't anything wrong with that, cool, if they can make a game we like, cool!!! However, I just don't see the need for them as a service provider in a broader sense and I have serious doubts this will work out for them, but I don't know that as a fact. I say good, go compete, generally they haven't been willing to do that in the consumer market other than the early days of Xbox, imo. They could have been competing in Phones, or watch tech or software distribution (Games for Windows Live/MS Store)... the question is... why haven't they been? What's different now? How do you compete when you are so far behind the competition? I don't necessarily disagree with you that there can be opportunity for companies to provide "services", but lets be honest, their generally trying to create a solution looking for a problem.

There is only so many subscription a person is going to pay.

Last edited:
Exactly, the hardware is optional, eventually it can be mothballed with Window Phone (Lumia), Band, Kinect, etc once all the users are moved. The irony of your twitter handle. The big pub/devs really have no incentive to target Xbox next (I suspect the rumors are trueish on that there will be new hardware but its dead man walking if the all this is announced, its mostly dead now to be honest), not really - nothing really different than how they wound Windows Phone down, except they can move some of the Xbox users, that wasn't really possible with WP users.

You still don't get it. MS doesn't really care for Windows phones demise because it was about pushing their software once they figured out that they should just place Office and other MS software on other devices, the need to sell there own phone was not nearly as important. Same thing here. #thinkalittle

DanielsM

Banned
You still don't get it. MS doesn't really care for Windows phones demise because it was about pushing their software once they figured out that they should just place Office and other MS software on other devices, the need to sell there own phone was not nearly as important. Same thing here. #thinkalittle

Exactly the hardware is optional - eventually, no more hardware once they move the existing users or more like less likely. With phones, there was no users to move, in the case of gaming they have an opportunity to eventually move those users to digital and than from there to the cloud (stream/virtual). They had no opportunity to moving either Phone or Band users, they believe they can move their customer base to digital over time and eventually to the cloud for gaming. I'm not saying they will be successful, just what they have been doing with everything else over the last 5-7 years, generally speaking.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
J JustP_Gaming

One other thing, the future is not entirely set. Meaning the details of how they get to the cloud with everything is not set in stone. They (Microsoft) could rollout quite a few services that in theory could overlap. Take for example, last week I suggested a Xbox Virtual Desktop, so they rent you Xbox One in the cloud per se that is your Xbox, you than play your digital Xbox library. However, with more news coming in as to the ability to play semi-native Xbox games on Window 10 they could just rent you a Window Virtual Desktop and say a customer Xbox overlay for your Xbox games.

Generally speaking Microsoft will keep the herd moving in one direction -> da cloud

I would suspect with all these leaks (which a ton of them really aren't leaks), they probably try and increase the speed of the herd because they are running out of time i.e. losing market share. And they got years of work to do. I suspect an all out blitzkrieg for this E3.

Last edited:

Larxia

I really hope this will concern backward compatible titles too, otherwise it won't be really usefull since most xbox one games aren't on PC, at least from a right now point of view, maybe it will make ports between the different plateforms easier in the future, although I hope this won't mean that microsoft exclusives will suddenly not get proper PC ports anymore, I'm a bit scared of that.

It would be nice to have Kingdom Hearts 3 playable on PC though.

nikolino840

This is how you lose in console sales I guess....
No,if you like to play on a console why you should stop buying a console?
I like consoles...
And people Who don't like ms games never buy a ms console in any case...
I like consoles and i like Microsoft console..so i Will buy nextbox...Is simple and logical....

bitbydeath

No,if you like to play on a console why you should stop buying a console?
I like consoles...
And people Who don't like ms games never buy a ms console in any case...
I like consoles and i like Microsoft console..so i Will buy nextbox...Is simple and logical....

The sticking point would be if MS forces third parties to publish on both or if they can choose.

That would mean devs won’t be able to setup their own deals on the PC front with a particular platform and devs will either need to suck it or skip it.

Interesting times ahead.

Mattyp

Gold Member
The big pub/devs really have no incentive to target Xbox next (I suspect the rumors are trueish on that there will be new hardware but its dead man walking if the all this is announced, its mostly dead now to be honest), not really - nothing really different than how they wound Windows Phone down, except they can move some of the Xbox users, that wasn't really possible with WP users.

I actually wonder about your logic in this... Xbox hardware isn't going anywhere and developers are always going to be targeting it just as much as they target Sony. If people wanted to play xbox games on PC they already would be, they have had that option already outside 5 titles for the past 5 years now. People who play on consoles WANT TO PLAY ON CONSOLES. They don't care if Xbox is now available on PC or phone, or what ever other device Microsoft start pushing the service to. The 40 million Xbox owners want to pop the disc in, or start the game from gamepass, and just play the latest CoD or FIFA from their couch with their best mate from work.

They will enjoy this, and continue to. If they wanted to switch to PC they would have before the gen already started. Xbox is expanding, you need to think outside the box. They want their service on as many devices as possible as well as the current Xbox which they will continue to make. The amount of money they will make in the next 5 years if this works and takes hold will be ridiculous, but the Xbox hardware isn't going anywhere. Its an option, an option for those who always want that option. And all the devs aren't leaving those 10s of millions of fans on the table.

Last edited:

Panda1

Banned
I actually wonder about your logic in this... Xbox hardware isn't going anywhere and developers are always going to be targeting it just as much as they target Sony. If people wanted to play xbox games on PC they already would be, they have had that option already outside 5 titles for the past 5 years now. People who play on consoles WANT TO PLAY ON CONSOLES. They don't care if Xbox is now available on PC or phone, or what ever other device Microsoft start pushing the service to. The 40 million Xbox owners want to pop the disc in, or start the game from gamepass, and just play the latest CoD or FIFA from their couch with their best mate from work.

They will enjoy this, and continue to. If they wanted to switch to PC they would have before the gen already started. Xbox is expanding, you need to think outside the box. They want their service on as many devices as possible as well as the current Xbox which they will continue to make. The amount of money they will make in the next 5 years if this works and takes hold will be ridiculous, but the Xbox hardware isn't going anywhere. Its an option, an option for those who always want that option. And all the devs aren't leaving those 10s of millions of fans on the table.

Nice gatekeeping! Fuck consumer options and choice I say !- I like to carry around an Xbox everywhere I go just in case I want to play Geometry Wars! I still use my propriety Betamax for movies too!

Mattyp

Gold Member
Nice gatekeeping! Fuck consumer options and choice I say !- I like to carry around an Xbox everywhere I go just in case I want to play Geometry Wars! I still use my propriety Betamax for movies too!

Congrats you've now reminded me of Geometry Wars nostalgia and I will be loading it up later tonight :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Arun1910

I think the fanboys and retards post on Eurogamer/IGN, where these types of comments will give you the rush you seek.

I actually don't see anything in that list that makes me scream "I want to play that on my PC". That's just my opinion.

Jagz

Microsoft needs a 'TV mode' for Windows, where it boots directly to a console-style UI, and lets you navigate and launch any executable on your PC using a gamepad.

Panda1

Banned
I actually don't see anything in that list that makes me scream "I want to play that on my PC". That's just my opinion.

Why you are on a video games forum dismissing the 2nd largest player in the market (and the biggest company by some margin) and thousands of games. Do you really like games - most people here have multiple consoles and PC to play games.

If you are some poor kid that needs to reassure himself passively aggressively dismissing 10 years plus of gaming my bad, I was a stupid fanboy kid as well when I had my Megadrive.

Play Geometry Wars retro evolved as well.

Arun1910

Why you are on a video games forum dismissing the 2nd largest player in the market (and the biggest company by some margin) and thousands of games. Do you really like games - most people here have multiple consoles and PC to play games.

If you are some poor kid that needs to reassure himself passively aggressively dismissing 10 years plus of gaming my bad, I was a stupid fanboy kid as well when I had my Megadrive.

Play Geometry Wars retro evolved as well.

Why are you so angry?

Also "Do you really like games - most people here have multiple consoles and PC to play games." is just stupid, seeing as you can be a gamer and just own one of either.

But FYI I have a PC and a PS4. I use my PC to play most games these days, the few Xbox exclusives I have played are Forza (I really like this series), Quantum Break, State of Decay (crap), Sunset Overdrive and Gears of War 4.

Don't call me a stupid fanboy kid without knowing anything about me, learn some manners.

Like I said, it was my opinion. I did not attack you, or anyone else.

DanielsM

Banned

I think I am saying something the opposite, no the hardware is not going anywhere YET. If the plan is to move the users to digital (which they are doing now and have been) then cloud they can't complete the mission because the "services" are not completed. I tend to believe some of the recent Xbox Two hardware rumors, meaning they have to release new hardware to keep the existing users until the "services" are complete and they start the process of moving them or trying to move them.

The hardware is not important to them, but it is a means to their final goal i.e. cloud services. The only difference between this and Windows Phone is with that, there is no place to move a phone user to, with gaming they believe they can move them to cloud services. What they are doing is generally nothing they haven't been doing in the rest of Microsoft i.e. Transformation.

Physical media locally processed -> Mixed Physical/Digital locally processed -> All Digital locally processed -> Mixed Digital locally processed/Cloud processed -> All Cloud processed

Going to take years, and they barely got the herd moving - I expect quite a bit of announcements at E3 to start selling the Cloud services which are not completed.

Last edited:

Panda1

Banned
Someone saying they aren't excited about a specific list of games doesn't automatically imply they hate an entire console. You inserted that narrative into their mouth and reacted as if they said it. Relaaaaax.
Why are you so angry?

Also "Do you really like games - most people here have multiple consoles and PC to play games." is just stupid, seeing as you can be a gamer and just own one of either.

But FYI I have a PC and a PS4. I use my PC to play most games these days, the few Xbox exclusives I have played are Forza (I really like this series), Quantum Break, State of Decay (crap), Sunset Overdrive and Gears of War 4.

Don't call me a stupid fanboy kid without knowing anything about me, learn some manners.

Like I said, it was my opinion. I did not attack you, or anyone else.

You played 4 games on the xbox and dismissed the whole platform! Poor darling. Being called out for posting your bullshit ain a thread about native xbox games being played on PC and you are pushing your PS4 bullshit. You can PM or create a thread about what your opinions are on anything, but each thread has a topic and its its polite to stay on topic rather than then be so scared that someone might like other things. If you want to continue your whining PM me, no one in this thread here wants to hear this shit.

Arun1910

You played 4 games on the xbox and dismissed the whole platform! Poor darling. Being called out for posting your bullshit ain a thread about native xbox games being played on PC and you are pushing your PS4 bullshit. You can PM or create a thread about what your opinions are on anything, but each thread has a topic and its its polite to stay on topic rather than then be so scared that someone might like other things. If you want to continue your whining PM me, no one in this thread here wants to hear this shit.

Each thread does have a topic, and everyone has opinions. I said mine. You just don't like it. And you are ridiculously aggressive. In all my conversations with people on the site, I have never dealt with someone who is so angry before.

I did not dismiss the whole platform.

The thread was about Xbox One games that aren't already on PC, to have them on PC.

From what I understand, the MAJORITY of Xbox One games already ARE on PC.

So my point was, the ones that aren't, are not anything to be missed, in my opinion (which I keep having to state).

Top Bottom