• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces the Surface Studio

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Beautiful, but pricey, all-in-one device.

Surface_Studio_Overview_2_HeroFullBleed_V1.jpg

en-INTL-PDP0-Surface-Cardinal-42L-00001-F1-desktop.jpg

SurfaceDial_5_FeaturePanelRightAlign_V1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzMLA8YIgG0

Tech specs

Dimensions/Weight Display: 637.35 mm x 438.90 mm x 12.5 mm (25.1” x 17.3” x 0.5”)
Base: 250.00 mm x 220.00 mm x 32.2 mm (9.8” x 8.7” x 1.3”)
Product weight: 9.56 kg max (21 lbs max)
Display Screen: 28” PixelSense™ Display
Resolution: 4500 x 3000 (192 PPI)
Color settings: Adobe sRGB and DCI-P3, individually color calibrated
Touch: 10 point multi-touch
Aspect Ratio: 3:2
Supports Pen enabled and Zero Gravity Hinge
Memory 8GB, 16GB, or 32GB RAM
Processor 6th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 or i7
Security TPM chip for enterprise security
Enterprise-grade protection with Windows Hello2 face sign-in
Software Windows 10 Pro

Storage Rapid Hybrid Drive options: 1TB or 2TB.

Graphics
i5 Intel 8GB: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 965M 2GB GDDR5 memory
i7 Intel 16GB: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 965M 2GB GDDR5 memory
i7 Intel 32GB: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M 4GB GDDR5 memory

Connections & expansions

4 x USB 3.0 (one high power port)
Full-size SD ™ card reader (SDXC) compatible
Mini DisplayPort
Headset jack
Compatible with Surface Dial on-screen interaction*
1 Gigabit Ethernet port

Cameras, video and audio

Windows Hello1 face sign-in camera
5.0 MP camera with 1080p HD video (front)
Autofocus camera with 1080p HD video (rear)
Dual microphones
Stereo 2.1 speakers with Dolby® Audio™ Premium
3.5 mm headphone jack

Wireless

Wi-Fi: 802.11ac Wi-Fi wireless networking, IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n compatible
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
Xbox Wireless built-in

Buttons/Keyboard Volume key and power key
Surface Pen
Surface Keyboard
Surface Mouse

Starts at $2,999 US up to $4199 for the top end model.

Levyne

Banned
I'm not interested in an all-in-one, but that thing looks sexy as hell.

Pretty sure I'm going to be grabbing a new surface book though. My 6 year old laptop is crawling along

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Looks fucking gorgeous, but no SSD? Seriously? They are not even that expensive now days.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Beautiful hardware, middling specs.
If you like the design, I don't see a problem with it. Just know what you're getting.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Damn. You'd expect a cutting-edge 4000$ all-in-one PC to be a bit more cutting-edge internally. These specs are beyond mediocre.

Design is amazing though, has to be said.

wildfire

Banned
Beautiful piece of hardware. Could've opted for Pascal GPUs tho. And no thunderbolt :(

It's a desktop not a laptop. MS will only pay for so much performance. They could choose a 980m or a 1060.

As for Thunderbolt I'm assuming the high powered USB is Type C

Of the top end model was sold at 3000 i would seriously consider. The display is that amazing. But now that i know about the Ladd end specs I won't bother putting much thought on it.

It still is a very slick piece of hardware.

Panos was right!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Amazing product, and I hope this gives Wacom a run for their money, they've had that monopoly for far too long and have gotten far too complacent.

Hopefully the pen tech is comparable. If so, this will be a gamechanger

shira

LOL! Why would you? It's not a laptop.

That was my first thought as that's what Surface brings to mind - portability

I'm not sure it will do well enough to warrant a 2.0 but the next version could be crazy good gamechanger.

MJPIA

Man I love what Microsoft has been doing lately even if they are way out of my budget.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...-studio-all-in-one-touchscreen-pc/?comments=1
A new add-on device will ship alongside Surface Studio, dubbed Surface Dial. Placing the dial onto the screen lets artists immediately manipulate selections like color and other filters in graphic design apps. Microsoft describes the device as a companion to Surface Pen users, and if users don't place the Dial onto the screen, a UI circle can appear on the screen. However, it will also work as a more analog rewind-and-forward tool. At the event, this capability was shown off with pen strokes appearing gradually on a document for dramatic event.

Based on demos, the Surface Dial doesn't appear to offer its own buttons. Instead, once a Surface device senses that the Dial is on its screen, an app can bring up a new wheel UI beneath wherever it senses the Dial's placement. The device will be compatible with most current Surface devices, including Pro 3, Pro 4, and all Book models. The Surface Dial will retail for $99, and its pre-orders begin today, October 26. (Surface Studio will come with the Dial packed in, along with a Surface Pen and the new Surface Mouse and Surface Keyboard devices. That's not to be confused with the new Surface Ergonomic Keyboard, which can be pre-ordered today for $129.99.)
That dial looks amazing.

giga

It's a desktop not a laptop. MS will only pay for so much performance. They could choose a 980m or a 1060.

As for Thunderbolt I'm assuming the high powered USB is Type C

Of the top end model was sold at 3000 i would seriously consider. The display is that amazing. But now that i know about the Ladd end specs I won't bother putting much thought on it.

It still is a very slick piece of hardware.

Panos was right!
No USB 3.1/C.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I can't even fathom why they didn't went with at least an SSD. That's near-standard these days in any laptop/desktop.

They couldn't have made the box unit 10% larger and fit it with modern parts? I mean if you're paying this much people aren't going to care about an extra 500$.

Microsoft looking to steal Apple's creative audience.

Apple doesn't look like they care that much anyway.

This looks like it'll eat into Wacom far more than Apple, but yes Apple will also feel this. This looks like an amazing product. If I were an artist I think I would take out a loan to get this thing.

SigSig

The device itself is pretty ugly (that stand >_> and lmao at the ripped off keyboard), but fuck me if it doesn't look practical. Damn, want to have this on my desk.
Price point doesn't work for me, though. Not with those specs.

edit: about that dial, am I misremembering or did Microsoft have some kind of Desk where the screen got projected to the desk surface from below and there were similar ways to interact?

Not sure why you'd buy a non-portable AIO for three thousand dollars and use it for its pen functionality, unless you absolutely need to use Photoshop/CSP/Illustrator etc at that res!

I clicked out of curiosity and holy crap, what a beautiful design.

I'm really impressed at how it looks. Congrats to MS designers :)

Animator

What a sexy device. If I didn't have a gaming PC I would totally hop on board with this one.

I applaud Microsoft for stepping up their game, but at that price point :/

Price isn't that crazy considering a cintiq screen of comparable size + stand is the same price as the top end version and that is a monitor only.

lol why do people keep saying they gimped the specs?

its the surface studio. i said in the other thread, marketing at my job is losing their minds. theyll buy this for the dial alone.

this isnt supposed to be an all in one gaming pc lol. they didnt even mention gaming with it.

All the luddites and tonnes of media outlets who criticised Microsoft's idea to not just make Windows 7 forever.

Screw you.

Typed on my Surface 3.

Animator

All the luddites and tonnes of media outlets who criticised Microsoft's idea to not just make Windows 7 forever.

Screw you.

Typed on my Surface 3.

Yea someone should go back and find all the "surface is stupid microsoft should just kill it, it will never be successful" posts in the surface 1 threads.

SigSig

its the surface studio. i said in the other thread, marketing at my job is losing their minds. theyll buy this for the dial alone.

this isnt supposed to be an all in one gaming pc lol. they didnt even mention gaming with it.

Gaming? Yooo, studio software eats gaming specs for breakfast.

icespide

Banned

it at least needs an SSD options. stuff will be slow as shit on a spinny drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom