• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft bullish on PC gaming, another entry for the list

AU Tiger

We made PC drivers for the Xbone controller guis! SEE SEE? We care! PC gaming is back!

<_<

But srs, didn't someone here a while back say that the halo games were coming to PC? Or at least some of them?

I wouldn't exactly complain if that happens but I wouldn't exactly chalk that up to microsoft caring too much about pc gaming. Titanfall being on PC though was a legit surprise to me though so there is at least a sliver of credibility in my book. It will take a lot more than that though to convince me.

CoG

I really hope Valve is successful in getting Linux to be a gaming platform and destroys Microsoft wrt PC gaming. It's ridiculous to have to buy a Windows license when building a gaming rig. History proves Microsoft cannot be trusted when it comes to supporting PC gaming. They gave up on it when the original Xbox came out and again with GFW.

Valve has an uphill battle ahead of them but with the right drivers and game support Microsoft is done in the PC gaming space.

epmode

Why do you think their ports would be good?

Even the most basic of PC ports are superior to console releases except in the most extreme cases. Just having the option of seeing a game at 60 FPS and 1600p is great, even if the assets are identical.

Du2andal

Banned
Even the most basic of PC ports are superior to console releases except in the most extreme cases. Just having the option of seeing a game at 60 FPS and 1600p is great, even if the assets are identical.

And the community has a habit of fixing the ports that suck.

Phil Spencer: a 'renewed focus' on Windows PC gaming from Microsoft is coming

inUej0utqpEUM.gif

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/21/5534188/microsoft-renewed-focus-on-windows-pc-gaming-phil-spencer

Is that a threat?

What else of value do people expect Microsoft to do for PC gaming? I'm drawing a blank.

The only value that Microsoft still has for PC gamers anymore is their back catalog of PC franchises.

• The Age of Empires (and Mythology) series. Shame the source code for AOE1 was lost though.
  • The Rise of Nations and Rise of Legend games
  • The Mechwarrior franchise IP.
  • Freelancer and Starlancer
  • The Close Combat series. I think the rights for this might have changed to another company though.
  • Flight Simulator series

At this point I wonder why Microsoft even bothers to promise more support to the PC. After you break this many promises, you have to show up with something material in hand for anyone to believe you. It's nice that we're getting some back catalog games, though.

AU Tiger

Spencer warned there "might be some transition bumps, getting from here to there," as Microsoft redefines its PC gaming efforts.

Aww shit they're gonna force their own game client like origin on us aren't they?

Aww shit they're gonna force their own game client like origin on us aren't they?
I'd actually be okay if their games integrated with Xbox Live like a lot of their Windows 8 games do right now, so long as a separate client is out of the picture. Just let me buy them from Steam please.

MCD

Thinking about this, I bet they will release some Xbox Live API so that Steam/Origin/UPlay games can use Xbox features like achievements. Rumors suggested they will do this with mobile OS and I think they will do the same on Windows.

Top Bottom