• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft CEO Comments On Xbox Games Coming To PlayStation/Switch

Oppoi

Nope. More like...

oprah+giveaway.gif
This is actually true if you believe MS put themselves in this position as some kind of gag.

Unknown?

Nadella is fine. In fact he’s good. The complete opposite of Phil who speaks out of the sides of his mouth.

Nadella is happily making everything multi platform. He doesn’t care about ‘spending Sony out of business’ or acquiring Nintendo for ‘a career moment’.

As long as the numbers look good he’s happy.

And this is the most exciting direction Microsoft have took gaming in the last 15 years. If I want to support a developer like Rare I can do on Nintendo or Sony’s platform, because I’ll never do it on an Xbox.
He approved and believed Phil though! That's just bad judgement and Phil's mistakes fall on him as well.

Oppoi

All studios and IP that are now for Microsoft to care and deliver on. Are we better off in terms of quantity and quality? Can anyone really say that?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It's ironic that acquiring activision blizzard (alongside the decay in xbox hardware sales) has shifted the economics of the division so far up its own ass the only viable solution for the whole mess is to essentially become a third party publisher.

Ozriel

M$FT
It's ironic that acquiring activision blizzard (alongside the decay in xbox hardware sales) has shifted the economics of the division so far up its own ass the only viable solution for the whole mess is to essentially become a third party publisher.

Arguing that Xbox would be selling more consoles or more games if they didn’t buy ABK is some weird logic

He approved and believed Phil though! That's just bad judgement and Phil's mistakes fall on him as well.

The alternative was to exit gaming altogether.
Can’t say there’s much that’s fundamentally wrong with the plan pitched years ago. The botched execution is all on Phil.

The name is still good they just have to make a return
It's nearly impossible for Halo to return in any big way. Arena shooters with limited gameplay variety are just not popular anymore. A new Halo needs dramatic gameplay changes, like what God of War 2018 did for its franchise. The problem is all the die hard 30+ year old Halo fans would throw a shit-fit if the multiplayer gameplay changed in any real way

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I think Phil is a proven survivor at this point. The man survived two failed hardware launches, he can probably survive a nuclear incident tbh.

You think so? I reckon they're as thick as thieves.

He could have someone on the board covering his ass, but my experience is that even if they can't fire you, they will make your life miserable and put someone over you (Windows team) to strip you of your responsabilities and have you quit, which is so much better for HR and PR. However, Spencer could be on3 of those leeches that is fine with it so long as he continues to get a paycheck and hold onto his stock.

King Dazzar

He could have someone on the board covering his ass, but my experience is that even if they can't fire you, they will make your life miserable and put someone over you (Windows team) to strip you of your responsabilities and have you quit, which is so much better for HR and PR. However, Spencer could be on3 of those leeches that is fine with it so long as he continues to get a paycheck and hold onto his stock.
Yeah, I do wonder if they see Xbox hardware as a failure of his doing though, or even if they see it as a failure.... They must surely. Or they believe things like, its all Don's fault as he cost us the last generation etc etc, whilst seeing Phil as successful in terms of the ABK acquisition and implementing GP.

The MCC would still be a huge seller on PS5/Switch.
Yep, you'd hope so. Even if just for the walk down memory lane for many. MCC would be great to have in our libraries. Unfortunately I reckon they'd prioritise Infinite and its multiplayer though....

ergem

An Xbox PC will be a complete failure.

They have less of a chance of drawing people away from Steam than they do drawing people away from Playstation and they have no chance of drawing people away from Playstation at this point.

The market is set imo.

Nintendo - Handhelds
Playstation- Consoles
PC - Steam

These are the winners (through competition) of each domain.

And I think the market will be better for it in the end.
I’m thinking MS will start from scratch with ARM PCs and ARM Windows.

They will use their xbox division and game studios to propel an ARM PC Xbox store and with a handheld similar to Steam Deck.

In such a case, MS has no competition.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Yeah, I do wonder if they see Xbox hardware as a failure of his doing though, or even if they see it as a failure.... They must surely. Or they believe things like, it’s all Don's fault as he cost us the last generation etc etc, whilst seeing Phil as successful in terms of the ABK acquisition and implementing GP.

It all depends how much money the division has lost.

DragonNCM

Yeah, I do wonder if they see Xbox hardware as a failure of his doing though, or even if they see it as a failure.... They must surely. Or they believe things like, its all Don's fault as he cost us the last generation etc etc, whilst seeing Phil as successful in terms of the ABK acquisition and implementing GP.
It is strange how people on this forum see that less hardware sale=money lost for MS....actually it is money gain for MS when you think that with every console sold they are lousing money. What meters in the end is how many games your game division is selling, and MS have PC gamepass & Xbox gamepass & ABK + first party games going on Sony & Nintendo consoles + sales on steam day one. Yes they lost numbers on consoles but on games sold they are leaders.....

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It is strange how people on this forum see that less hardware sale=money lost for MS....actually it is money gain for MS when you think that with every console sold they are lousing money. What meters in the end is how many games your game division is selling, and MS have PC gamepass & Xbox gamepass & ABK + first party games going on Sony & Nintendo consoles + sales on steam day one. Yes they lost numbers on consoles but on games sold they are leaders.....
And that money gain by selling less consoles....wouldn't it be even more gained if they stopped making consoles all together?

At some point the money spent on R&D, manufacturing wont be worth it.

Its a weird thing some try to debate about. But you do have a point.

reinking

Gold Member
I think it is strange how "people on this forum" have different views. For example, I think most "people on this forum" agree that MS will actually make more money by bringing more games to other consoles/platforms. I think the argument is that they will sell even less of their consoles in doing so. That doesn't necessarily mean less money, it means that most believe with this move the Xbox console is on its way out. We know they have at least one more on the way. I am excited to see what they come up with to make it competitive in the market as they release more titles on competing platforms.

2, 3, and Judgement never released on PC. But there's been a rumor a GOW collection like the Master Chief Collection is coming out.

This rumor has been around for far too long.

Asked a few friends, and they knew people who were part of the closed MP beta testing done by The Coalition / Splash Damage. Don't have any first hand evidence, SS or game capture direct feed clips.

All under NDA.

Top Bottom