• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft CEO Nadella: "Our entire goal is to bring more options for gamers to be able to play, and for publishers to have more competition."

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

ikbalCO

MS is investing on Xbox, by expanding it. Shareholders wants to see a progress. MS is talking to them, that they are going to stay, and increase their investment in this space.
Recent moves, such as gamepass, xcloud for cloud gaming, and now the mobile investment.

MS is thinking about the future, and how to capitalize on those gamers. Current situation doesn't matter, as that can be fixed by money. What matter is the future for their business.

Look at the current gaming trend. Your typical normal games are dying slowly, in favor of those money making games, like live service or f2p games.
Again i disagree.

I think MS is testing the limit of how much they need Xbox.

I dont think xbox is bringing enough to the table for MS to need them currently. But with activision, phil and satya can say, ok xbox is bringin 30 to 40 billion to the table through gamepass sub, mtxs and mobile revenue etc.

The reason why you are getting top notch 1st party games from PS and great cameras on phones, is because sony desperatly need their ps brand and lens/censor business to sucseed since they bring the most money. Sony need ps to be sucsessfull so bad that they can easily cancel a sequel of 10 million sold game (days gone) in a heart beat. Because ps needs to be perfect.so much riding on it.

If i am being honest, i dont think MS' needed Xbox for the last 6 or 7 years, if they ever needed xbox to begin with.

If you wanna know what happens when a giant company no longer needs a product, google vaio, stadia, google plus, vine, kinect, xperia, ipod etc.

feynoob

Banned
Again i disagree.

I dont think xbox is bringing enough to the table for MS to need them currently. But with activision, phil and satya can say, ok xbox is bringin 30 to 40 billion to the table through gamepass sub, mtxs and mobile revenue etc.

The reason why you are getting top notch 1st party games from PS and great cameras on phones, is because sony desperatly need their ps brand and lens/censor business to sucseed since they bring the most money. Sony need ps to be sucsessfull so bad that they can easily cancel a sequel of 10 million sold game (days gone) in a heart beat. Because ps needs to be perfect.so much riding on it.

If i am being honest, i dont think MS' needed Xbox for the last 6 or 7 years, if they ever needed xbox to begin with.

If you wanna know what happens when a giant company no longer needs a product, google vaio, stadia, google plus, vine, kinect, xperia, ipod etc.
Gaming is making alot of money in the current market, due to f2p and live service games.
People here are very short sighted, as they only want games to play.

But MS and Sony are seeing games, which makes more than their games. They want slice of those pie.

Which brings us to the main point. MS wants a slice of those revenue. Your traditional games arent going to give them that much money.

Last edited:

Pelta88

When asked about what Microsoft’s ultimate ambition is in the gaming business, Nadella said: “Microsoft isn’t a conglomerate, I want to be very clear. It’s not about sort of gaming here and productivity here.”

These few words have the stock market paying extra attention. Not because it oversteps the boundary from PR smoke into blatant lie. But because the lie hints at desperation. For hedge funds, banks, traders, and financial institutions it's the equivalent of blood in the water.

"Blood" in this instance being the chance to make easy money if the deal doesn't pan out.

These few words have the stock market paying extra attention. Not because it oversteps the boundary from PR smoke into blatant lie. But because the lie hints at desperation. For hedge funds, banks, traders, and financial institutions it's the equivalent of blood in the water.

"Blood" in this instance being the chance to make easy money if the deal doesn't pan out.

Is it? For Xbox?

After Phil got Nadella to open up Xbox and integrate it as a more general service for Microsoft instead of having it separate in isolation, this technically could be considered the truth. In this case, for Xbox specifically. He even goes on to talk about games so maybe.

feynoob

Banned

This is him acknowledging that gaming is part of them now. Unlike old xbox, where it was just a side product.
$75b recent deal is their way of saying, we are in gaming full effort.

-Zelda-

Banned
The Google and Amazon bogeyman failed so now they bought Activision and Bethesda to have more competition with Take 2 and EA? 🤡

That guy is just saying whatever like the Metaverse shit before. Clueless.
I was actually going to ask what is Sony's answer to Bethesda and what do they have specifically to rival Elder Scrolls games. I'll be bummed out if those games are never physically on Sony consoles again.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Microsoft had people distracted with their electronics since the 90s Xbox sales got to be off the charts with the amount of seres s Black Friday sales.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
typical PR words.

Bored Episode 15 GIF by The Simpsons
Coming from a multi trillion dollar company that could buy the other Big 2 4x over??

......okay. if nothing else, they've got all the money to back up every PR statement they make - regardless if they followed through.

Not saying these kats won't use jargon to sell a product. But MS has what they need to financially back every word.

i actually was wondering what is Sony planning right now, they kept their mouth shut majority of the time.
I can smell the surprise coming in 2023.
Got no issues with Xbox. I love some of their games but i feel Phil and Satya are too much on the PR trail.

We've known for years that Xbox are all talk and don't really deliver. It would be nice if they can adopt a 'let the games speak' approach to this new gen.

Just go about your business in the background and deliver what the fans want.

Don't even know what Sony has planned for 2023 lol but StarField is my number 1 buy next year for Xbox.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Its not rocket science. More platforms and places to sell games means better for publishers.
Lets not go there.
This is just a candy words for the mass. Those who cant read PR words.

MS wont reach more platforms currently. They dont have means. And Xcloud is currently at its infant stage.

No, you are not wrong. I should have been more specific and stated Spiderman fans going forward.

I honestly believe the success of Spiderman was what lead Sony to buy company and funded the sequel. I also believe Spidermans success also helped them get the Wolverine license as well.

If Spiderman flopped could this have happened? That's what I'm not sure on.

Xbox is not a sinking ship. I am pretty sure it is quite profitable. But when compare to revenue stream from azure and windows, i am pretty sure the board is lmaoing the xbox revenue.

I may be the only person in this forum that pays full price monthly to gamepass. I love that service. It is great. But for gamepass to work it needs constant content. Like netflix disney plus etc. If not, it is unsustainable. Because you can not keep dropping money on 3rd partys pockets. You just cant.
Why does this notion that Gamepass somehow can't be sustainable still exist?
After all that investment and acquisitions, gamepass only has 25 mill subs. Which is 10 mill below probably one of the worst subscription models, nintendo online and nearly half of ps plus. And can you say sony and nintendo invest the same amount on their subscriptipn systems? I am certain nintendo probably spend %1 of what MS is spending on gamepass. PS may be half of it. After sometime shareholders would like to see some return from their investments and unfortunately, gamepass growth has slowed down signficantly. Because there arent many xboxes out there and noone cares about cloud gaming.
This paragraph is chock full of problems. First of all, what happened to dropping money in 3rd party's pockets not being sustainable? You don't seem to believe that PS Plus is unsustainable, and it relies almost entirely on 3rd party content vs Gamepass having day one 1st party games as well. If spending money for 3rd party content isn't sustainable, then your comparison doesn't make sense.

Not that it really does anyway because you're not even comparing apples to apples to begin with. Nintendo doesn't even have a service comparable to Gamepass, and the one Sony did have (PS Now) did so poorly that they had to repackage as tiers to PS Now. Xbox Live Gold is the comparative service, and is far more in line with the others.

CoD is a mutli billion dolar revenue franchise every year and I guess nobody understand how desparetly MS need Activision as a infinite source of content every year. Because their bet on bethesda didnt pay out since bathesda is lazy af.

So no. Its not about the brand. Its not about the support. Its them, needing quality content on Gamepass right now.
I agree that MS intends to invest in a steady stream of content for Gamepass. Not sure too many would argue otherwise. I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that the Bethesda acquisition is simply a bet that didn't pay out though. They knew about the Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop deals with Sony before they purchased them, and Starfield hasn't released yet. None of that is an indicator that Bethesda is "lazy af".

I mean, I don't entirely disagree with your premise that MS is trying to get quality content for Gamepass. I'm just confused at how you reached that conclusion based on all the flawed logic you used to get there.

Ozriel

M$FT
Holy shit can Microsoft stop saying this shit. They're locking games that were multiplat into their own eco system.

This is not more options for gamers, doesn't matter what warrior you are, it's literally less options for gamers.

Except they’ve gone on the record innumerable times saying COD would be multiplatform going forward.

Again i disagree.

Nadella: “we’ve been gaming for decades, we’ll be in gaming for the future even if activision deal falls through”

You: “Microsoft is going to kill their profitable gaming business”

Except they’ve gone on the record innumerable times saying COD would be multiplatform going forward.

Nadella: “we’ve been gaming for decades, we’ll be in gaming for the future even if activision deal falls through”

Yeah cos they were backed into a corner. And originally it was just honouring existing contracts IE a few years.

By the way smart ass what about all the other games like starfield etc? You're talking about one game in about 10 ips they have bought and will no longer be multiplat after the current contracts end.

Last edited:

ikbalCO

Why does this notion that Gamepass somehow can't be sustainable still exist?

This paragraph is chock full of problems. First of all, what happened to dropping money in 3rd party's pockets not being sustainable? You don't seem to believe that PS Plus is unsustainable, and it relies almost entirely on 3rd party content vs Gamepass having day one 1st party games as well. If spending money for 3rd party content isn't sustainable, then your comparison doesn't make sense.

Not that it really does anyway because you're not even comparing apples to apples to begin with. Nintendo doesn't even have a service comparable to Gamepass, and the one Sony did have (PS Now) did so poorly that they had to repackage as tiers to PS Now. Xbox Live Gold is the comparative service, and is far more in line with the others.

I agree that MS intends to invest in a steady stream of content for Gamepass. Not sure too many would argue otherwise. I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that the Bethesda acquisition is simply a bet that didn't pay out though. They knew about the Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop deals with Sony before they purchased them, and Starfield hasn't released yet. None of that is an indicator that Bethesda is "lazy af".

I mean, I don't entirely disagree with your premise that MS is trying to get quality content for Gamepass. I'm just confused at how you reached that conclusion based on all the flawed logic you used to get there.
Spencer himself told something that without mobile xbox model is unsustainable.

I guess i could be more clear about my 3rd pary claim. Gamepass' whole claim is putting new games day one on gamepass. While this may be easy to do with your 1st party, i dont think you would have a strong bargaining power when you are desparate for content and dealing with 3rd parties for day one release. And you can not maintain a service like that with releasing indie games every month, day one. Again i love gamepass because i love indie games but to sustain it you have put out more new AAA games.

Nintendo and Sony are charging almost the same for their sub model, what MS is charging for gamepass with a lot less investment. And dont forget how ms wanted to get rid off live gold few months back.

Bathesda is lazy af dude. I mainly meant bathesda software. They release 1 game every 3 or 4 years. Yeah, so revenue vise it didnt pay off. Activision probably brings 20 to 30 bil every year with candy crush and CoD alone.

ikbalCO

That is not what i am saying. All i am saying as that if they dont see the returns on their investment they may leave the hardware biz and go the sega way.

CeeJay

Nah, we are here playing games, it's just tiresome to see clowns repeating themselves over and over without bringing anything new and any results to the table. If you like to suck up to executives, that's your problem.
Ok, show me just one post in this thread so far where anyone is sucking up to executives, just one? It's like you guys are fighting your own shadows.

Thebonehead

Banned
Blah, blah, blah. These executive's empty words are going to get even more annoying.

This executive is the head of one of the largest companies in world.

Of course people want to get a slot of time with him, and understand the direction of the company so they can decide on investment.

The state of you and the emoji warrior clowns so butt hurt by Interviews is something to behold.

Top Bottom