• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft E3 Media briefing dated - Monday, June 9th at 9:30 AM PDT

Status
Not open for further replies.
FFPmn9D.gif

Best gif I've seen so far.
Hahaha! That is pretty dang good!

p3tran

Banned
what this mister-x you are talking about does, is try to fish around for info, then create his ...novel or something.

there is indeed an article that has comments from this boyd multerer tech dude, and he indeed mentions stuff , but its published in the totalxbox.com, kind of official thing.

image_39581_620.jpg

So do your reading from the source, and not through this mister-x dude

http://www.totalxbox.com/74852/feat...softs-boyd-multerer-on-creating-the-xbox-one/

my opinion? talk is nice and cool and all, but i want to see the first wave of games that are not launch games, to see what ms has cooked.
so let me see the games first, and we will be talking from there on.... RIGHT PHIL?

QMNAZSj.gif

Are you sure you played legendary, because at some point I actually thought its not doable. Without the YouTube walkthrough, I wouldn't have made it lol. It was just too damm hard to kill those knights.

totally legendary, my first playthough of h4 campaign was solo legendary. Enemies were way to predictable the only part i had some trouble in was the end level and that was because i was rushing in.

Isurus

Please let me board the hype train.

I'm truly hyped to see what MS brings this go around given current results of the "console race".

Seeing as we know both the Major and Phil probably have read/are reading this thread, what would you guys like to see the Xbox team do to "add value" to Gold?

Whilst the move to provide developers with Dedicated Servers for titles for free via Xbox Live Compute, I think they really need to address the major differences between Gold and PS+.

I have been a Gold member since the beta of XBL, and I have 11 years on the service now (12 come this November!)

The reasons I have used and continue to use the service are:

My friends - back in 2004, I met some really great people playing Halo 2 - we've known each other for so long that we have been to each others weddings, stag do's, paintball meetups, and LAN parties.

Ecosystem - My gamertag, profile, friends lists, my home network, my surface, my windows phone. They all tie together. I have Xbox Music, so having that on my phone, my Xbox and my PC/Surface all makes life easier for me.

Finally, Xbox has always been home to the games I like to play. (I have been and remain to be, a massive Halo nerd)

I'd like the Xbox team to leverage their various services to make Xbox Live Gold a service to be reckoned with.

That would include making Xbox Live Gold contain the following perks:

Xbox Live Music Subscription (included)
1 free movie rental a month from Xbox Video
Discounts on purchases across the marketplace.
Digital Benefits - game sharing with friends, gifting etc
Remove Gold Paywall for "free" apps (Skype, Netflix, IE etc)

Also, as per normal discussion, they need to bring Games with Gold to Xbox One. ASAP.

Leflus

Seeing as we know both the Major and Phil probably have read/are reading this thread, what would you guys like to see the Xbox team do to "add value" to Gold?
Games with Gold
I like the current system on 360. I would be fine with a similar solution on XBO.

Discounts on new games
It doesn't have to be a huge discount. 5% would be enough.

Demos for every downloadable only game from Microsoft

Leflus

Take out the Netflix and other streaming services requirement.

Bring in Games with Gold, Full game trials.
Yeah... This is one of the things that has prevented me from recommending a 360 to friends and family that might not be as interested in games as I am.

XBL Gold is great if you are invested in every aspect of the system, but not so much if you are just interested in Minecraft and Netflix.

Whilst the move to provide developers with Dedicated Servers for titles for free via Xbox Live Compute, I think they really need to address the major differences between Gold and PS+.

It's a shame so many devs/publishers would rather use their own servers then Xbox Live Cloud. Would Battlefield behaving the same problems it if used MS's servers? I hope with the sucess of Titanfall, more devs are open to using the free resources being provided to them.

I'm also eager to see more of Xbox cloud compute in action. A.I. In TF is great, but I think there's still more needed to be shown to live up to the claims made last year. They recently showed off that building destruction demo, now let's see games doing that.

Also agreed with you on the ecosystem and apps paywall stuff.

I've been saying for a while that they need to "re-do" Gold and make it more about value by addition, rather than value by locking features. They need to look into ways to add to the value of the Xbox experience with Gold, rather than look into ways to make you feel useless if you don't have Gold (by locking apps behind the wall).

They need to remove apps behind the wall and do the following to add value:

• Games with Gold on X1 (even just starting out by releasing indie games like PS4 does would be a good start)
  • 20GB (or some number) of OneDrive storage
  • 5 free song downloads via Xbox Music per month
  • 60 free minutes of Skype credit per month
  • 2 free movie rentals via Xbox Video per month
  • Weekly Gold Game savings (as they have now)
  • Release windows Gold savings on new titles (just like PS+ has on select titles)
  • Continued excellence with online infrastructure
  • Xbox Fitness free with Gold subscription forever (as it stands now, only free until December 2014)
  • Once Xbox Reading comes out, maybe $5 digital book credit per month

All that is stuff that fits into their existing product lines, and would give a nice little taste of the whole Xbox experience to anyone with Gold. With the free downloads on Music and Video, they could also help to entice people to buy into the service a bit more once they get to use it. Skype credits are a no brainer, and additional OneDrive storage, while not a big grab to many, is just another little bullet point they can use to add to everything else.

A list like that does much more to sway someone to buy Gold than locking apps behind the paywall will ever do imo.

iMax

I've been saying for a while that they need to "re-do" Gold and make it more about value by addition, rather than value by locking features. They need to look into ways to add to the value of the Xbox experience with Gold, rather than look into ways to make you feel useless if you don't have Gold (by locking apps behind the wall).

• Games with Gold on X1 (even just starting out by releasing indie games like PS4 does would be a good start)
  • 20GB (or some number) of OneDrive storage
  • 5 free song downloads via Xbox Music per month
  • 60 free minutes of Skype credit per month
  • 2 free movie rentals via Xbox Video per month
  • Weekly Gold Game savings (as they have now)
  • Release windows Gold savings on new titles (just like PS+ has on select titles)
  • Continued excellence with online infrastructure
  • Xbox Fitness free with Gold subscription forever (as it stands now, only free until December 2014)
  • Once Xbox Reading comes out, maybe $5 digital book credit per month

All that is stuff that fits into their existing product lines, and would give a nice little taste of the whole Xbox experience to anyone with Gold. With the free downloads on Music and Video, they could also help to entice people to buy into the service a bit more once they get to use it. Skype credits are a no brainer, and additional OneDrive storage, while not a big grab to many, is just another little bullet point they can use to add to everything else.

A list like that does much more to sway someone to buy Gold than locking apps behind the paywall will ever do imo.

What they really need to do is just have one membership across all their platforms. Get rid of Xbox Live Gold, get rid of Skype Premium, get rid of low-tier OneDrive charges. Just have one membership, one pass, for everything.

• Access to Xbox Live multiplayer
  • Games with Gold
  • Exclusive Games Sales
  • Skype Group calling
  • 20GB OneDrive Storage
  • Ad-free music streaming
  • Instant Xbox Video

OnePass. $7/mo.
OnePass + Office 365. $12/mo.

Something like that.

Miles X

What they really need to do is just have one membership across all their platforms. Get rid of Xbox Live Gold, get rid of Skype Premium, get rid of low-tier OneDrive charges. Just have one membership, one pass, for everything.

• Access to Xbox Live multiplayer
  • Games with Gold
  • Exclusive Games Sales
  • Skype Group calling
  • 20GB OneDrive Storage
  • Ad-free music streaming
  • Instant Xbox Video

OnePass. $7/mo.
OnePass + Office 365. $12/mo.

Something like that.

They'd lose a crap tonne of money ...

Xbox Music alone is like $15 a month?

jem0208

Oh stop it. I've already begun to get a sinking feeling we won't see it there.

Well, you've covered all the good ones, I guess (though as far as story goes, I like Halo 2 the best. Ironic since I hate it's campaign level-wise). That's unfortunate is all I can say. :(

Meat sponges? Halo? In the same line?

WTF?

Halo can have some pretty bullet spongy enemies, especially on legendary.

Caayn

Microsoft can keep the one free movie/song/etc, I already buy the movies/songs I want. Rather have more money go into GWG for XB1 and having it more on par with PS+ than seeing it being sucked up by something else like a free movie.
totally legendary, my first playthough of h4 campaign was solo legendary. Enemies were way to predictable the only part i had some trouble in was the end level and that was because i was rushing in.
Yeah Halo 4 wasn't that difficult. The scarcity of ammo made it harder than it really was.

Pathos

Banned
I guess to entice more people they should definitely keep free apps away from a paywall, it makes absolutely no sense at all. They should also definitely start offering GWG on XBO (which I think they will announce at E3). I also see that on the XBO dashboard they give away some episodes of shows for free (I've never clicked on them/check them out yet).

Karak

They can announce what they want but I do hope Phil is reading to this because one thing that I do want during their briefing.

Let Phil be the one talking. No more handing off to a ton of others. Hell if Phil wants to talk about their none game stuff a bit let him do it. He is a better speaker and just seems more comfortable than anyone else out there and can deliver a cogent message.

EDIT: Those gifs are great guys.

Lucifon

They'd lose a crap tonne of money ...

Xbox Music alone is like $15 a month?

I don't see why there isn't a subscription which comes with their value added services like music, skype etc. They have all these services, and they're all seperate. Just like their devices currently. Microsoft are currently not even close to making the most of the platforms they possess, it's almost embarrassing how seperate they are.

I wonder if there will be a Summer of Arcade this summer? Since there isn't really "arcade" games on XB1. If there is, I wonder if it would be just on One, or 360, or both.

I hope they continue it, always a few high quality games in there, and there doesn't seem to be much new stuff to play in the middle of the summer.

Please let me board the hype train.

I'm truly hyped to see what MS brings this go around given current results of the "console race".

Not sure what you mean by results, they are still in the same second place they were in the last 2 times. But now they have a chance to come back if they do the right moves.

They can announce what they want but I do hope Phil is reading to this because one thing that I do want during their briefing.

Let Phil be the one talking. No more handing off to a ton of others. Hell if Phil wants to talk about their none game stuff a bit let him do it. He is a better speaker and just seems more comfortable than anyone else out there and can deliver a cogent message.

EDIT: Those gifs are great guys.

Uh, why would they have one guy just talk about everyone elses stuff for about 2 hours?

I wonder if there will be a Summer of Arcade this summer? Since there isn't really "arcade" games on XB1. If there is, I wonder if it would be just on One, or 360, or both.

I hope they continue it, always a few high quality games in there, and there doesn't seem to be much new stuff to play in the middle of the summer.

Summer of Indie?

Uh, why would they have one guy just talk about everyone elses stuff for about 2 hours?

Phil's said he wants more creators and less suits on stage, at a guess, I'd say him and Phil Harrison may be the only ones that go up from the suits side of thing?

Bonnie Ross will probably do 343i stuff, Ted Price for Sunset Overdrive, Sam Lake for Quantum Break (I don't consider people in charge of the developers as suits).

Perhaps Yusuf will make an appearance, I hope not though, its a games show per Phil previously, I don't know if he's relevant to that discussion.

Phil's said he wants more creators and less suits on stage, at a guess, I'd say him and Phil Harrison may be the only ones that go up from the suits side of thing?

Bonnie Ross will probably do 343i stuff, Ted Price for Sunset Overdrive, Sam Lake for Quantum Break (I don't consider people in charge of the developers as suits).

Perhaps Yusuf will make an appearance, I hope not though, its a games show per Phil previously, I don't know if he's relevant to that discussion.

I though Phill Spencer was not considered a suit? Also you forgot about Hyrb.

I though Phill Spencer was not considered a suit? Also you forgot about Hyrb.

Larry's never been on stage in the E3 conference to my knowledge.

Well, suit = Microsoft executive, he runs the division so he's the basic definition of a "suit" in his job role.

But last year we had Don, Phil (Spencer and Harrison), Marc Whitten and possibly Yusuf as well and maybe even some others.

He doesn't want that sort of show this year, so i'd think they might knock it down.

Karak

Not sure what you mean by results, they are still in the same second place they were in the last 2 times. But now they have a chance to come back if they do the right moves.

Well it would actually be him talking about his stuff now but moving past that point for a moment.

It is fairly obvious that the suit mouthpiece is MS's overall presenter style. It is time to break from that. E3 is an obvious game event and he is now the main guy for Xbox. I am not saying he kicks others off the stage like Bruce Lee I am saying the major event sections can all be Phil as the announcer, presenter, and overall director.

There is no reason for people like Y.M. to get up there versus Phil who is not only a more genuine presenter( in appearance) but just overall is now the face of the box.
The last couple years has been a schizophrenic waste of energy not only with different presentation styles but also a couple times where data seemed to conflict.
Content creators will of course talk about their stuff. This is about the main presenters not the people visiting and discussing their games.

Vico

Twisted Pixel's Next game.
State of Decay Xbox One
The Behemoth's next game.
Below
Shadow Complex 2

Believe

m23

Yusuf might come in just to speak about the 360, his presentation last year was good. It was quick and got the points across without any bs. So I wouldn't mind if he just came in to speak on that.

Aside from that it'll probably be just Phil Spencer and just developers.

Larry's never been on stage in the E3 conference to my knowledge.

Well, suit = Microsoft executive, he runs the division so he's the basic definition of a "suit" in his job role.

But last year we had Don, Phil (Spencer and Harrison), Marc Whitten and possibly Yusuf as well and maybe even some others.

He doesn't want that sort of show this year, so i'd think they might knock it down.
Well don was... Yeah.

Well it would actually be him talking about his stuff now but moving past that point for a moment.

It is fairly obvious that the suit mouthpiece is MS's overall presenter style. It is time to break from that. E3 is an obvious game event and he is now the main guy for Xbox. I am not saying he kicks others off the stage like Bruce Lee I am saying the major event sections can all be Phil as the announcer, presenter, and overall director.

There is no reason for people like Y.M. to get up there versus Phil who is not only a more genuine presenter( in appearance) but just overall is now the face of the box.
The last couple years has been a schizophrenic waste of energy not only with different presentation styles but also a couple times where data seemed to conflict.
Content creators will of course talk about their stuff. This is about the main presenters not the people visiting and discussing their games.

I never said anything about content creators getting kicked out why did you feel the need to add that?

Anyway, i get what you are saying, but there needs to be more than one rep of MS onboard, no other conference, E3 or elsewear would do that strategy with only one guy. I mean, if it's just Phil, and one other guy that could work, especially if they have has many content creators there as they keep hyping us to believe. This will be an interesting E3 indeed.

m23

It would be pretty awesome if they were able to get nadella to open up the conference to show their commitment to Xbox.

Dabanton

What's interesting is MS sent out a survey last week asking about Xbox Live Gold and it's value what could make it better etc

So I wouldn't be surprised at some big some changes at E3 regarding the service, tbh they need to be aggressive this E3.

Dabanton

So MS is going to mention apps? I know some people despise their mere mention, but I and I'm sure many others use them. I'd like to know what new apps are on the way (A Spotify app would make my year) if this show is going to be all games where does the apps and services reveals fit in?

Bsigg12

So MS is going to mention apps? I know some people despise their mere mention, but I and I'm sure many others use them. I'd like to know what new apps are on the way (A Spotify app would make my year) if this show is going to be all games where does the apps and services reveals fit in?

They could announce a bunch of stuff a week before. Also there is the 30 minute preshow. Spencer said that May would be full of news so I kind of expect something new to be announced each week.

That's the type of stuff they should let Yusuf handle, but in a separate video not during the main presentation. Make him the multimedia guy and keep him away from the games stuff :)

jim2011

According to a windows phone dev on a reddit AMA, a universal spotify app was being created by Microsoft for all ms platforms including Xbox.

I'd imagine them not going into much detail, except maybe showing a slide with some popular company names on there that are working on apps. Maybe a slide that has like HBO GO, UFC, Spotify, Comcast, Flixster, MTV, Crunchyroll, ect.

It would be pretty awesome if they were able to get nadella to open up the conference to show their commitment to Xbox.

I think that's really important after all the mis-communication and rumours that have been swirling over the past few months. Both in terms of engaging customers, but also their current and potential partners.

That said, the whole thing really was a load of nonsense and taken out of context.

Chettlar

Banned
Halo can have some pretty bullet spongy enemies, especially on legendary.

Which ones? The only enemies that can really be considered bullet sponges at all are brutes, and even in Halo 2 Legendary (which I finished), all it takes is less than half a clip of a needler to down one. Same on Reach and 3.

Plus, needlers are really plentiful throughout all of the games, so that's not much of an issue.

Grunts can be killed with a headshot (and it's pretty damn satisfying too). Takes about three shots to the body otherwise. Three needles.

Jackals are harder, which is why it's best to frag 'em. If you don't got frags, stickies are nearly as good. Otherwise, try to hit the exposed hand, and they'll real back. Get em with a head shot. They're only bullet sponges if you waste clips trying to kill the shields. Jackals die REALLY quick with needles. I swear I hit one in the head with a single needle and it died.

Elites are not bullet sponges. They actually only take a couple shots to kill -- one for a head shot. The issue is their shield. Think about it, the shield is meant to withstand bullets, so it'd make sense that it would take a lot of bullets to kill one. That's why the AR has huge clips. The better option is to use plasma weapons. Everybody knows about noob combo (overcharged plasma pistol and a quick switch to BR/DMR), but plasma rifles, for example, work just fine.

Essentially they're only bullet sponges if you use really dumb weapons for that situation. That's actually the beauty of Halo! It forces you to use different guns for different situations, unlike other, dumb, mindless shooters in which all guns are pretty much interchangeable.

Hunters actually really aren't bullet sponges. They just have a crap ton of armor. Plus, I mean, they're sort of like mini-bosses, so even if they were bullet sponges, that would make sense. Actually probably my favorite enemy to fight in the Halo series.

The only way they become bullet sponges is if you start turning on skulls, but ...those are entirely unnecessary, and I don't often play with them. You can if you want, but you can't say "Oh Halo has bullet sponges!!!!
if you turn on skulls :p
."

Karak

I never said anything about content creators getting kicked out why did you feel the need to add that?

Anyway, i get what you are saying, but there needs to be more than one rep of MS onboard, no other conference, E3 or elsewear would do that strategy with only one guy. I mean, if it's just Phil, and one other guy that could work, especially if they have has many content creators there as they keep hyping us to believe. This will be an interesting E3 indeed.

Well otherwise the comment already spoke to itself so I couldn't figure out why you seemed confused by me saying one presenter. So I wanted to make it ultra clear I didn't mean content creators.

That's the type of stuff they should let Yusuf handle, but in a separate video not during the main presentation. Make him the multimedia guy and keep him away from the games stuff :)
Ya separate video keep him off the stage. Don't mind him but ya no reason for him to muddy it up.

Agreed completely I could actually enjoy that. Would be nice if he walked out and introduced the Xbox and maybe dropped the "I am here to make sure there is no confusion, by anyone, that Xbox is balh blah blah importance to me personally and to MS." Then just handoff to Phil. It would be a good

Karak

To open it? Hm. Hard to say. Definitely have him on stage at some point.

Well opening it he would not interrupt the flow and it would be sort of cool to have the main guy hand it off the to the only other main guy:) He could talk about internal support and then finish with something like, "I think you will see that with the actual presentation and here is Phil to announce CRACKDOWN 2! Ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom