• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Ends "Inside Xbox"

watership

ITT:

"What?! I like those shows. FU MS."
"What?! I never watched that stuff, probably just making room for ads. FU MS."
"I don't own a 360. FU MS."

geebee

Banned
QgS5u.jpg

... who is seriously going to miss this?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Inside X-box was utterly useless, so nothing of value was lost.

Also if it's still there before it closes down: Make a Japan account and watch the Japan Inside X-box. Eye opening in quality differences between it and America. I dunno about the Middle East version but whatever the US IX was pretty crap.

Gowans

I bet the new dash killed it.

Used to watch all the time, with the new dash watched hardly any.

The UK one was good, the US one seemed to be going down hill massively pushing things like Windows phone 7 games etc.

Izick

That sucks. I always thought IX was usually pretty nice and harmless, and there would definitely be some times when I'd here about a deal on XBLM from there first.

CyReN

I bet the new dash killed it.

Used to watch all the time, with the new dash watched hardly any.

The UK one was good, the US one seemed to be going down hill massively pushing things like Windows phone 7 games etc.

Same, always catch a new one at least 2-3 times a week, now it takes ages to get to.

Fox Mulder

I would occasionally watch these, along with the other show about achievements. One of those showed me a different tactic that helped me get the mile high club achievement in cod4.

Sucks that the shitty new dashboard absolutely buried all this content.

Gowans

The UK guys were awesome too, knew games inside out, represented the audience and kept the major Nelson and win phone stuff out at every chance possible.

The simple fact is when they made the new dash they had no place for the spotlight stuff.

They could have easily had a news tab but that's not what they were going for. I bet views were less than a tenth of what they were pre new dash.

blamite

The latest dashboard update killed it for me, it went from having it's own entire category in the NXE where it was easy to locate and sort through, to being so buried in the new Dash I could barely find it if I wanted to.

It's a shame, it had some pretty decent shows. Sentuamessage at least used to be pretty entertaining.

Stat!

Yeah, come to think of it, I used to watch these all the time with the previous dashboard, as they were easily accessible. I haven't watched a single one since the switch to the new dashboard, because I haven't seen them.

Same here.

The new dash is awful. I still can't stand it. I still can't find my way around it. Especially while browsing the marketplace.

Xav

Thankfully in the UK we have Dan & Andy which are actually pretty likeable unlike that Major Nelson guy. Hopefully they'll stick around although that Metro dashboard pretty much ruined everything, you can barely even find Inside Xbox any more.

Gowans

Same here.

The new dash is awful. I still can't stand it. I still can't find my way around it. Especially while browsing the marketplace.
My fave thing on the UK games Marketplace is the picks section, it hasn't been updated once and has te worst shit on there.

Gowans

Thankfully in the UK we have Dan & Andy which are actually pretty likeable unlike that Major Nelson guy.
Yeah they are one of us, MN seems to be acting into the role. Nice guy but I don't think he fits the audience he's presenting to.

watership

Same here.

I seriously don't get this. Am i some fucking ninja because i can find everything I want without any trouble? It took me a day to get used to the new dashboard.

Sean

Banned
I only watched maybe a handful of times, mostly the achievement tip videos which were nice. I like the idea of Inside Xbox, but the videos they produced seem aimed towards a more casual/beginner audience.

I guess as soon as they got the IGN app on the dash, they didn't need to waste money creating these videos anymore.

Jhoan

Insider Moves was the only one worth watching
This. I loved Insider Moves and Major's Minute.

Insider Moves gave some great tips on how to get certain achievements as well as good multiplayer tips. Ryan Treit's voice was nice to hear. Major's Minute was good for watching previews of games. I seriously hope this doesn't mean the end the OXM videos which were great as well.

soultron

Banned
I seriously don't get this. Am i some fucking ninja because i can find everything I want without any trouble? It took me a day to get used to the new dashboard.

Core gamers playing the victim.

It sucks but I got used to it. It's not impossible to navigate like some make it out to be. I barely play my 360 either, so don't even give me a, "but I play less than you!"

On topic, I enjoyed what I watched of Inside XBOX. Major Nelson is the most lovable corporate shill out there. You know what he is and what he does so there's no ambiguity. I'd buy the guy a beer and sit down for some conversation if I ever had the chance.

NinjaBoiX

What about Sent U a message? I kinda liked those guys. :(
I've got to be honest, I feel the same. I wasn't sure at first, but they really grew on me. It's all a little lame, but knowingly so, and they aren't afraid to send themselves up. Shame, it was a nice little freebie that I will miss.

Edit: upon further reading, it appears Mr PointyHead and SuperKaylo are safe. Dan and Andy, those lovable, relatable munchkins! But yeah, that's good news, UK IX and sentuamessage are enjoyable shows.

Robot Pants

This. I loved Insider Moves and Major's Minute.

Insider Moves gave some great tips on how to get certain achievements as well as good multiplayer tips. Ryan Treit's voice was nice to hear. Major's Minute was good for watching previews of games. I seriously hope this doesn't mean the end the OXM videos which were great as well.

clint-eastwood-disgusted-gif.gif

Yeah, it sucks that they have somebody giving us updates on the platform and new content. Links to new games and demos? How awful!

Sorry dude I really don't care for him. I don't mind the info of new games and demos but he just seems out of place. I'm tired of hearing all of xbox "exclusive" information from only one person that looks like he should be selling me a car. He also has the worst skits.

Running out of dashboard real estate?

I wonder if this is removing the IGN and OXM stuff?

I think they want to go to 3rd party content like IGN etc. ie rent out Xbox dashbarod to gaming news outlet.

So is Major going to be retire? I can sense this was coming ... there are less and less Xbox community stuff on Live.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So I guess my Xbox LIVE money is going towards paying off IGN instead of weekly Xbox video content from Microsoft? I support these guys through numerous changes (ads, dashboards), but I don't understand why they'd cut free community centric content.

Acheron

Banned
So I guess my Xbox LIVE money is going towards paying off IGN instead of weekly Xbox video content from Microsoft? I support these guys through numerous changes (ads, dashboards), but I don't understand why they'd cut free community centric content.

Because it's not part of Microsoft's business model. MS provides a venue, whether it's the Xbox, Windows or Office. Users and vendors create content. MS is focusing on creating a strong network based on Windows 8 and signing on as many content providers as possible, rather than wasting time on something it isn't very good at.

Sean

Banned

Probably because it simply wasn't being watched by many people. If you look at their official YouTube channel stats, the vast majority of videos have been watched only a couple hundred times, some as low as a pathetic 27 views. That doesn't count viewers from the dashboard of course, but I doubt it's much better since it seems like nobody can even find Inside Xbox stuff on the new dash judging from this thread.

I would imagine that producing video content on a regular basis like this can be somewhat costly. They've got several hosts, a script writer, video editor(s), and who knows what else (makeup, lighting, etc?). It was probably easier to just partner with IGN.

Top Bottom