• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft lays off hundreds as it guts its phone business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

This pisses me off to no end because I actually think Here Maps is a heck of a lot better than Google Maps, specially for car navigation and international travel. It's the one Google service I didn't miss as a WP user.

I dont get how this interferes with Here maps updates? Isn't that a separate part of the company altogether?

Not surprising. I don't know anybody in real life who owns one anymore. I knew two people that did own one a few years ago, but they switched to Android after a while.

Lmao Terry Myerson. How this guy isn't the first one to get booted out is mystifying, basically responsible for the phone org going to shit over the years. Sad about WP, WP7 was a really good platform with promise, but it never delivered on the dream.

Burai

shitonmychest57
i can't imagine what Balmer was thinking when buying Nokia.....what a waste of money

It was absolutely the right thing to do. It gave them unique and exciting hardware from a trustworthy name and Apple-esque control of the experience from end to end.

The problem is and always was software.

It was absolutely the right thing to do. It gave them unique and exciting hardware from a trustworthy name and Apple-esque control of the experience from end to end.

The problem is and always was software.

A trustworthy name? Nokia was practically irrelevant by the time it was purchased. There were more problems than the software.

GhaleonEB

Ballmer really stuck it to MS with the Nokia deal, they took a $8+ billion bath and got nothing in return.
Yeah, that was a baffling thing to do on your way out the door. Seemed pretty clear from the get go it would end like this, but he just shafted the next CEO as he left. Awful decision. Really sad for all the Nokia folks.

jstripes

Banned
Not surprising. I don't know anybody in real life who owns one anymore. I knew two people that did own one a few years ago, but they switched to Android after a while.
I bought a Lumia 710 for my wife because it was $99, and I bought her a Lumia 1020 to replace the 710, which wasn't getting WP8. (Then the 1020 never got WP10, as was promised...)

Aside from those two phones, nope, I never knew a single other person with Windows Phone.

A trustworthy name? Nokia was practically irrelevant by the time it was purchased. There were more problems than the software.

Nokia was still a big name for Gen-X'ers, and was loved for their industrial design. If Nokia had gone to Android instead of endlessly fiddling around with Maemo, MeeGo, and then Windows, they'd still be a big player internationally.

I'm unsure if you can get the stink of failure off the name at this point, though.

EGM1966

Yeah, that was a baffling thing to do on your way out the door. Seemed pretty clear from the get go it would end like this, but he just shafted the next CEO as he left. Awful decision. Really sad for all the Nokia folks.
You'd think he'd have been satisfied missing the whole market expansion in mobile connected devices in the first place, but no... he had to go and blow billions in a doomed rear guard move on the way out.

Nokia was still a big name for Gen-X'ers, and was loved for their industrial design. If Nokia had gone to Android instead of endlessly fiddling around with Maemo, MeeGo, and then Windows, they'd still be a big player internationally.

This has always been my belief as well. That said Motorola seems to have struggled in the transition to smart phones as well.

clav

Lmao Terry Myerson. How this guy isn't the first one to get booted out is mystifying, basically responsible for the phone org going to shit over the years. Sad about WP, WP7 was a really good platform with promise, but it never delivered on the dream.
WP7 was shit for development.

Considering that Microsoft abandoned Silverlight makes the platform irrelevant.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
figured this would happen. Oh well.

its kind of like when HP bought PalmOS, then shit on it, then sold it to LG. Could have been a great phone OS. I miss my Palm Pre.

They still sold huge amounts of feature phones so the brand was very much alive. With good hardware and with the ecosystem people want (Android) I still think they could have sold decent amount of smartphones. Of course we shall never know.

SpecX

This has always been my belief as well. That said Motorola seems to have struggled in the transition to smart phones as well.

Sucks Motorola has fallen so far behind especially when they started off great. I remember having a Droid X and that phone was well built and amazing all around. I remember dropping it, throwing it at a wall, and everything still functioned without a hitch. Too bad Android software at that time was sluggish.

Sucks Motorola has fallen so far behind especially when they started off great. I remember having a Droid X and that phone was well built and amazing all around. I remember dropping it, throwing it at a wall, and everything still functioned without a hitch. Too bad Android software at that time was sluggish.

I had an X2 and still think it was the worst phone I have ever owned. Ended up exchanging it three times before my carrier just gave me a different phone.

jstripes

Banned
its kind of like when HP bought PalmOS, then shit on it, then sold it to LG. Could have been a great phone OS. I miss my Palm Pre.
The only good thing that came out of that was the $99 TouchPad fire sale.

I bought one and installed Android on it.

I had an X2 and still think it was the worst phone I have ever owned. Ended up exchanging it three times before my carrier just gave me a different phone.

I bought my daughter a Moto G (2nd gen.) Aside from the "potato" camera, she has no complaints.

maeh2k

You think Microsoft isn't taking your data and selling it? They were one of the first to give in to the NSA's demands of data, before even Google.

There's a difference between following the law and having a business model that's entirely based on selling data...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom