• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Next Xbox will work even when your Internet doesn’t

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think the biggest take away from this, which Ars has completely overlooked, is that Blu-ray is confirmed to be part of the next Xbox.

I thought that was old news.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Can't believe it took them this long to release that. Also a bit surprised they confirmed the TV/DVR capabilities before the event.

A vague e-mail. I will not believe this until Microsoft explicitly states that it is false. The same goes with anti-used games. They've been so tight lipped and then this magically slips out.
And the part "and yes playing a single player game" sounds so weird to me. Without the word "yes" it would be fine, but this way it sounds a bit too personal and forced. It seems more directed at us expecting bad news than the employees.

This is straight up damage control on Microsofts part, this is the only way they can comment on the rumors without publicly doing so. They knew this was going to be leaked.

So they wait to release this bomb now? Not weeks ago when it was more pertinent? You know, when one of their employees was fired for comments regarding this?

Read more closely:

* Full-time employees working on the next Xbox

Missed that. Thanks! Will edit for accuracy.

Still wonder why they would need to point it out to everyone working on the system unless it was understood previously internally that it would be always-on. Or maybe this was intended as a controlled leak.

Takuya

Banned
I don't think that an internal mail from MS should be tagged as rumor.
Or do you want to imply that ars is making this up?

I don't see an e-mail, I see quoted text that was apparently from an internal e-mail. It is a rumor, without proof. Just like you liked to complain about the always-online and other rumors being just that -- rumors.

MasLegio

Banned
Has this recieved the Pastebin Quality Stamp of Approval?

I wont believe it otherwise

So they fired Adam Orth, why? lol poor guy, if it turns out his tweets had nothing to do with MS.

because they do not discuss rumors and speculation

especially about products and services regarding billion dollar markets

Bsigg12

I don't think that an internal mail from MS should be tagged as rumor.
Or do you want to imply that ars is making this up?

He's just mad that the doom and gloom about the Durango is starting to go away. I agree with you though, an internal email is not a rumor when its a source like ars.

will work or WILL PLAY GAMES or WILL LET YOU KEEP PLAYING GAMES?
because
1) work, means the console will work, but tells nothing of playing games
2) is allrite
3) means that you have to be online when you start the game, but can go offline after that.. and is shit as much as an always online :)

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
It could take the form of a fully offline mode akin to that on the Xbox 360 (insert optical disc, install game, play, all without an Internet connection) or it could be more like Steam (install and activate online but enable subsequent offline play once this has been done).

So still blocking used games via online registration then? I wonder how much it will cost to re-activate a used game will cost from MS?

iMax

Article just got updated.

The quotation also implicitly confirms another rumor: the next Xbox will sport an HDMI input, to allow cable boxes to be hooked up for live TV viewing. Our sources tell us that the console will be able to provide TV listings and similar information.

So you're thinking there was previously a policy that it would be always-on, and this was altering that? That would be news in and of itself, though I don't think there's any evidence for that.

I was just kidding around. Who knows what they were doing prior, we'll probably have to wait 10 years for a tell-all from an ex employee or something.

I do find it funny they would send this out though, seems like either:

A) They wanted it to leak, judging from the wording and fact it needed to exist.

B) They really were changing policy and wanted people to stop leaking bad information.

C) Even their own staff were confused by the rumors swirling around.

I think 'A' seems most likely.

FrankT

I don't see an e-mail, I see quoted text that was apparently from an internal e-mail. It is a rumor, without proof. Just like you liked to complain about the always-online and other rumors being just that -- rumors.

Yea sorry this is guaranteed.

Ars is no rumor mill.

But we can all pretend it is until May 21st.

njean777

Will wait till the 21st to see if the rumor is true or not, it most likely isn't, but you never know with MS.

I've watched enough West Wing to know a purposeful leak when I see one. This is the real deal.

Really, this was also a purposeful leak, but it went over too many people's heads.

Durango itself will also always be online like any other device (correct with rumors), but it will not be a requirement to play local content and it will not prevent playing used games. Putting in an Xbox 360 disc into Durango will prompt the user to attach the supporting device that is sold separately. By separating the two devices and their functions it will ensure price competitiveness for both pieces of hardware. Microsoft’s delay in announcing these products from April goes more inline with not having a physical set of devices to show (among specification updates), which should be ready by May or June when this information is officially released.

So they wait to release this bomb now? Not weeks ago when it was more pertinent? You know, when one of their employees was fired for comments regarding this?

Weeks ago there wasn't a public event scheduled unveiling their new console. MS was never going to say anything back then because they had yet to even publicly say there was going to be another XBox. Now that they have, we have stuff like this.

Microsoft probably just wants to get this out of the way in advance of the event. It'll be discussed and by May 21, this won't be a hot button issue for them anymore.

He was likely let go because of his insensitive-sounding remarks about people living in certain places in the country where they might not get good internet connections.

Top Bottom