• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft on background music on XB1: "Taking our time, we want to do it right"

Well it's not 2005 anymore and you probably have 5 devices in your living room that can stream for you...not sure why your game console has to anymore.
Would rather have the music be coming from my speaker system and automatically mute the game music.

It's a nice feature and I used it from time to time on 360 including the streaming from a Windows Media Player on PC, I think the main applications would be online FPS without voice chat and racing/car driving games where you've gotten tired of the ingame soundtrack or want to hear something else.

The biggest question I have is who uses this and why? Such an unneeded feature.
I mean yeah. It's unneeded, no one is going to die without it. But back on the 360 and now on the PS4 I listen to my own music all the time, especially in racing games. It's not that weird of a concept.

sector4

I still love the original XBOX's implantation of custom soundtracks, where the music was stored on your hard drive and games would access it within the game.

It allowed for insanely cool stuff like radio DJ's announcing your own custom songs in Project Gotham, or a new track from your library starting up every time you did a new race in RalliSport Challenge.

PS4's implementation is the next best, system wide, off USB storage and with a volume meter that is easy to access. It's always been a favourite feature of mine.

It's a great feature to listen to podcasts or music you like while kicking it in games that don't require the in game music / audio. RPGs and Racing games are my personal favourites for this. I wouldn't use the feature in a game like Uncharted or something similar.

Toa TAK

Banned
Well it's not 2005 anymore and you probably have 5 devices in your living room that can stream for you...not sure why your game console has to anymore.

Why should I have to bother with other devices? Is it that much to ask out of this entertainment system to be able to play music while playing games? No need to be condescending. Haven't you done this before? It's convenience, ultimately, and as already mentioned, it was a feature before. It's unfortunate we all took it for granted.

GHG

The fucking defence force for this... Seriously?

I have my Xbox One hooked up to my home theater system. I want music pumping out of my 5.1 surround sound system while I'm playing, not my shitty iPad/phone speakers. Its not too much to ask considering it could be done on the 360 and I'm doing it on the ps4 and PC.

Jesus Christ.

pieface

I've wanted this feature since I got the Xbox One. I used to always play games with music on in background. Especially games such as FIFA.

It would be so easy for them to implement and I really don't know why they haven't yet, they could integrate it into the new guide and it would look good.

Something like this (excuse my poor paint skills!)

NOXE_guide_screen.png

Then if you highlight the music symbol, you can choose what you want playing , have the obvious skip, play, pause, stop buttons. then also a sound mixer underneath for game/music volume.

Simple.

amardilo

It's the biggest feature that I miss from the 360. I really don't want to be surprised but if they could make it work like it does on the 360 then I'd be massively happy.

I used to really like playing games like Forza and FIFA with my own custom soundtracks or a podcast in the background.

I'd be really happy if they could just allow the user to select an audio file/playlist to play in the background and then allow for music/audio to pause (when the game's developer thinks) a specific game dialogue/moment happens.

Alx

I think that feature will be more appreciated now that the console is a real multitasking system, compared to the previous generations where music was only supposed to be used with games.
I thought the feature was nice on OG Xbox and 360, but I only remember using it on DOA Extreme Volleyball. But in most games either I settle with the game music, or I just disable it altogether.

Xbudz

While Microsoft keeps taking their time to get it right, I went and bought a Y adapter to get custom soundtracks.

Cji5mzs.jpg

Hell, I once made a seconadry Skype account, set up "what you hear" as my microphone, and called myself from PC to Xbox to establish a musical call on Xbox One.. Skype calls can be in the background.

Those are he only two ways around it until Microsoft gets their stuff together.

joecanada

The fucking defence force for this... Seriously?

I have my Xbox One hooked up to my home theater system. I want music pumping out of my 5.1 surround sound system while I'm playing, not my shitty iPad/phone speakers. Its not too much to ask considering it could be done on the 360 and I'm doing it on the ps4 and PC.

Jesus Christ.

Here here. Usually it's people with TV speakers who don't understand. I don't have an Xbox yet but can't remember the last time I listened to * yuck* Game music on ps4. Most games have like ten songs too it's terrible. Fallout has like maybe ten per station

While it is definitely a feature I would like to see, because 360 had it and I don't understand what is taking so long, I do think I would end up barely using it. There aren't a lot of games where I would like to hear my own music anyway.

Tsukumo

The only reason I'm playing more on PS4 than Xbone. I have 20 games on the Bone and 2 on PS4 and yet...
Move your ass, Microsoft.

I wasn't aware this was still an issue. Part of the 360's appeal was custom soundtracks -- hell, I bought Connect360 (Mac) because of it. Strange they were able to virtualize the 360 and not have this work.

I really want this for my Forza and Halo sessions. It was the best to have your own soundtrack while racing around and shooting people online. I don't get how they forgot to add this at launch. It was one of the major features for me on the Xbox 360.

psychotron

Not like it'll matter. The NXE update caused my tv and Vudu apps to stutter all the time, and they took their time with that. Also BC still works shitty on many games. Very disappointed with MS lately.

Top Bottom