• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Q1 Results (Total: 57.6 Million Xbox 360)

[Nintex]

Shiggy said:
Diddy Kong Racing DS made quite a lot of money, didn't it?
I remember an interview in which some guy from Microsoft found it funny that Star Fox Adventures was the best selling Microsoft Game Studios game at some point. It might've been Fries... oh if only they knew what they'd be getting into.

Satchel

Banned
Seriously, are people still sitting by watching some imaginary countdown clock waiting for the day the PS3 surpasses the 360 WW?

Almost 7 years into the generation and only 1 year before the new one starts?

lol.

Does it really matter at this point? The Wii kicked both their asses and in all honesty, this generation won as a whole.

When 'second' and 'third' are selling around 60 million consoles each, I think people forget how fucking amazing that is.

Carl

Satchel said:
Seriously, are people still sitting by watching some imaginary countdown clock waiting for the day the PS3 surpasses the 360 WW?

lol.

Does it really matter at this point? The Wii kicked both their asses and in all honesty, this generation won as a whole.

When 'second' and 'third' are selling around 60 million consoles each, I think people forget how fucking amazing that is.

Or maybe we don't care about it for that reason, but rather because it interests us?

I went back and corrected my math in the USA+Japan PS3 numbers post, I was low by a couple 100k on Japan PS3 sales. But the gist is the same.

I love numbers. Always have.

BTW, Nintendo reports next Thurs and Sony one week after that.

duk

Banned
great job this gen MS, what a nice bounceback and wait for the inevitable price drop coming soon!

this will set them up nicely for next gen

codhand

Microsoft_2010_Income_Values_Bar-600x394.png

[Nintex]

bigtroyjon said:
I don't get it
I think online services like Hotmail, Bing etc. cost money without having much returns. They're more like services for people and companies who use Microsoft products and I believe Microsoft tends to shove everything else unprofitable into that division as well :p

Indyana

jim-jam bongs said:
The big question that chart raises for me is whether Xbox Live is part of E&D or online.
From the OP:
"EDD revenue increased primarily reflecting higher Xbox 360 platform revenue and Windows Phone revenue. Xbox 360 platform revenue grew $114 million or 7%, led by higher Xbox LIVE revenue,"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
jim-jam bongs said:
The big question that chart raises for me is whether Xbox Live is part of E&D or online.
Online is stuff like Bing and MSN Messenger.

The entire Xbox Division (along with related services) is in E&D.

It can be a bit confusing.

jim-jam bongs said:

It's part of the xbox platform. They said Live is the main reason for revenue growth this quarter since console and game sales were down.

Does everyone realizes that chart is from 15 months ago?

Carl

Infamous Chris said:
I'm pretty sure it interests you for a specific reason.

And that number has to be because i am "waiting for PS3 to overtake 360"? Why can't the reason be that i am interested in how the consoles are selling? Sales in general interest me. No idea why

like a dragon said:
the cheapest 360 model is $170

the cheapest PS3 model is $250

Care to explain?

I think he might be referring to the fact that the average selling price of the 360 is higher than the PS3, at least for NPD results.

I'm not sure how consistent this is, or if it will be an ongoing trend - but we know that last NPD month more 360's were sold, and on average, at a higher price than any PS3's that sold.

DarkFlow

Banned
Mollymauk said:
Pretty amazing evolution for the console during its lifecycle. The 360 I have today bears little resemblance to the one I bought in 2006.

Remember this guy?
123p9if.jpg
I Miss that truthfully. It was way less clutter and shit flying all over the place like it is now.

Curufinwe

Satchel said:

It's almost 6 years, not 7. The 360 launched on November 22, 2005.

Thanks for the info Niro, troy and Indyana. I guess it makes sense that they want to try to use E&D brands like Xbox to market their other products. Well, it makes sense from Microsoft, because they've never really been very good at subtlety when it comes to demographics.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
So just like the PSP, it's a failure. If only it could have "beaten" the others and gotten first to succeed, but no, it just sold well and is doing well. Seriously though, good numbers.

Hmm, I really wish there was a SEGAGAGA 2 now.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
DarkFlow83 said:
I Miss that truthfully. It was way less clutter and shit flying all over the place like it is now.

because there was nothing on it. you couldn't have all the content we have now on the blades interface.

I remember how bad it got after like 100 or so items were in the markerplace. It was a total mess.

DarkFlow

Banned
D4Danger said:
because there was nothing on it. you couldn't have all the content we have now on the blades interface.

I remember how bad it got after like 100 or so items were in the markerplace. It was a total mess.
Oh I'm sure they could have kept it, and maybe done a App like PSN store. Boom problem solved. Now You have your Avatard doing jumping jacks while a spaceship shits birds in the background. Just too much stuff going on.

DarkFlow83 said:
Snes really only sold 49 million? I was sure it would have sold way more.
It really goes to show how much things have expanded when NES/SNES were by far the leaders of their generations (NES moreso), but this generation all three machines will best them.

BKK

JoshuaJSlone said:
It really goes to show how much things have expanded when NES/SNES were by far the leaders of their generations (NES moreso), but this generation all three machines will best them.

It really does put it into perspective, in just another quarter or two all three consoles will have outsold every previous console bar PS1 and PS2.

Curufinwe said:
It's almost 6 years, not 7. The 360 launched on November 22, 2005.
He's technically right, if 2005 was the first year of the generation...

....then 2011 is the 7th year of the generation (after November anyway).

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
DarkFlow83 said:
Still have an Xbox with that lying somewhere here. I booted it up a few months ago and it took my breath away. So much better compared to what we have now

NavNucST3 said:
Sell-through and sell-in are difficult to reconcile at times. Even though Sony sold-through more units in the US their first quarter they still shipped fewer by a not insignificant number.
Sony's financial results are full of surprises.

zomgbbqftw said:
Really? They shipped $3.5m last year at a higher price point. I know the momentum was better then.
Let's see.

Sales_thumb.jpg

Sales%2BII_thumb.jpg

Price%2Bcut_thumb.jpg

LOCK

Microsoft doing good as usual. The big question is how long will they be content with making a profit from the 360, before they step into next gen losses.

alphaNoid

Banned
LOCK said:
Microsoft doing good as usual. The big question is how long will they be content with making a profit from the 360, before they step into next gen losses.
I think they've been pretty public that they plan to support the 360 years into the next gen release as well. Its not going to a be a trade off like last gen. 10 year plan puts MS to support the 360 until 2015, which has confused many people into thinking thats when the next Xbox will release.

More likelyl they'll drop the next Xbox in 2013, and run an overlapping support for 2 years until 2015 when the end of life the 360. During those 2 years the 360 revenue will pad and offset the loss from introducing a new gen. They dont show any signs of slowing down on the 360 sales so its pretty clear they are going to ride that console out as long as possible.

2 year overlap is my guess.

Averon

AniHawk said:
microsoft should have no problem selling 75-80m 360s by the time the generation's over. pretty impressive.

Yup. Hell, the fact that the third place console (PS3) will probably sell 70+ million after this gen is over tells you how much the industry has grown.

statham said:
sony quits the console buisiness. its funny MS is the most expensive console now, but still sells the most.

We haven't had Sony's shipment figures yet. I would be very, very surprised if Sony shipped less than 2.3m. I would be surprised if the figure was lower than 3m, it is more likely to be in the 3.3-3.7m range.

NavNucST3

Parmenides said:
Sony's financial results are full of surprises.

Let's see.

Sales_thumb.jpg

Sales%2BII_thumb.jpg

Price%2Bcut_thumb.jpg

What are you attempting to show with these graphs? The Media Create graph seems to be the only one that is comparing actual FY as opposed to the others that appear to be covering CY. Could you repost FY quarterly sell-through and sell-in?

Top Bottom