• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft releases statement on DACA, will fight legal battles for their dreamers

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
MS Official DACA statement

Urgent DACA legislation is both an economic imperative and humanitarian necessity

Sep 5, 2017   |   Brad Smith - President and Chief Legal Officer

We are deeply disappointed by the administration’s decision today to rescind protection under the program for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). As we said last week, we believe this is a big step back for our entire country.

The question for individuals, employers and the country is what we do now.

For Microsoft, the first step is clear. The administration has given Congress six months to replace DACA with new legislation. We believe this means that Congress now needs to reprioritize the fall legislative calendar and move quickly with new legislation to protect these 800,000 Dreamers. This means that Congress should adopt legislation on DACA before it tries to adopt a tax reform bill. This is the only way, given the number of legislative days Congress has scheduled over the next six months, we realistically can expect Congress to complete DACA legislation in time.

We say this even though Microsoft, like many other companies, cares greatly about modernizing the tax system and making it fairer and more competitive. But we need to put the humanitarian needs of these 800,000 people on the legislative calendar before a tax bill. As an employer, we appreciate that Dreamers add to the competitiveness and economic success of our company and the entire nation’s business community. In short, urgent DACA legislation is both an economic imperative and a humanitarian necessity.

As this debate moves forward, we need to remember that these 800,000 individuals came to our nation as children. They grew up in this country. They attended our local schools and count millions of American citizens as friends. They obey our laws, pay taxes here and have registered voluntarily with the federal government for DACA relief. They are loyal to this country and contribute their time and money to local churches, schools and community groups. The Dreamers are part of our nation’s fabric. They belong here.

That’s why we believe a second point is also fundamental. Although we should all ask Congress to act within six months, we should be prepared for the possibility that it will not do so. Such a failure would not relieve anyone else in the country of the responsibility to act thoughtfully and wisely.

This is why we will work as needed with other companies and the broader business community to vigorously defend the legal rights of all Dreamers. For the 39 Dreamers that we know of who are our employees, our commitment is clear. If Congress fails to act, our company will exercise its legal rights properly to help protect our employees. If the government seeks to deport any one of them, we will provide and pay for their legal counsel. We will also file an amicus brief and explore whether we can directly intervene in any such case. In short, if Dreamers who are our employees are in court, we will be by their side.

We appreciate that even limited immigration legislation like DACA is complex, controversial and even difficult. We also appreciate that this issue arises at a time of other important national priorities and sharp divisions within Congress. But when it comes to DACA, there are too many affected people who contribute too much to our country for Congress to fall short. There are leaders on both sides of the aisle who have long championed this issue. And there is a growing list of supporters from across the country who want to see this get done. We’re confident that Microsoft is but one of many companies and groups that will support them.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Like the issue with the travel ban, I assume a lot of companies are going to come out against this because it will impact their employees. Hopefully we see some real heavy hitters in the coming days.

Excellent.

These 800,000 people aren't just some nobodies. They're hardworking citizens of the country.

Obviously them all getting the boot isn't going to have no affect on companies with some of these people working for them.

the country elected a president because he was going to get corporate interests out of politics and instead focus on decent people and their needs (whether he is doing that is a completely different story) and now we have to rely on corporate interests to protect decent people.

the fuck is happening

Tim Cook as well

Team,

America promises all its people the opportunity to achieve their dreams through hard work and perseverance. At Apple, we've dedicated ourselves to creating products that empower those dreams. And at our best, we aspire to be part of the promise that defines America.

Earlier today, the Justice Department announced that President Trump will cancel the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program in six months if Congress does not act to make the program permanent.

I am deeply dismayed that 800,000 Americans -- including more than 250 of our Apple coworkers -- may soon find themselves cast out of the only country they've ever called home.

DACA recognizes that people who arrived in the United States as children should not be punished for being here illegally. It lets these Americans, who have successfully completed rigorous background investigations, go to school, earn a living, support their families, pay taxes and work toward achieving their dreams like the rest of us. They are called Dreamers, and regardless of where they were born, they deserve our respect as equals.

I've received several notes over the weekend from Dreamers within Apple. Some told me they came to the U.S. as young as two years old, while others recounted they don't even remember a time they were not in this country.

Dreamers who work at Apple may have been born in Canada or Mexico, Kenya or Mongolia, but America is the only home they've ever known. They grew up in our cities and towns, and hold degrees from colleges across the country. They now work for Apple in 28 states.

They help customers in our retail stores. They engineer the products people love and they're building Apple's future as part of our R&D teams. They contribute to our company, our economy and our communities just as much as you and I do. Their dreams are our dreams.

I want to assure you that Apple will work with members of Congress from both parties to advocate for a legislative solution that provides permanent protections for all the Dreamers in our country.

We are also working closely with each of our co-workers to provide them and their families the support they need, including the advice of immigration experts.

On behalf of the hundreds of employees at Apple whose futures are at stake; on behalf of their colleagues and on behalf of the millions more across America who believe, as we do, in the power of dreams, we issue an urgent plea for our leaders in Washington to protect the Dreamers so their futures can never be put at risk in this way again.

Despite this setback for our nation, I'm confident that American values will prevail and we will continue our tradition of welcoming immigrants from all nations. I'll do whatever I can to assure this outcome.

Tim

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
For the 39 Dreamers that we know of who are our employees, our commitment is clear.
This part is important. It's not like MS is trying to protect the practice of exploiting these 40 people. That number means nothing to them in the grand scheme of things, but it's still worth protecting on a ideological level.

I'm sure some of the people in the GOP are going to be like "They aren't a coal company, so why should we listen to these nerds?"

While this is awesome that they are doing this, I'm still sure we have people in power that will never listen to this. Or ever read it.

Garlador

I'm sure some of the people in the GOP are going to be like "They aren't a coal company, so why should we listen to these nerds?"

While this is awesome that they are doing this, I'm still sure we have people in power that will never listen to this. Or ever read it.

Implying Trump can read.

avaya

If they wanted to the Tech sector could absolutely own Congress with the amount of cash they have that no one else could even come close to competing. For the moment its hollow words from both Apple and MS.

mnannola

What are the chances that the GOP house and senate pass something to protect Dreamers, and that bill is signed by Trump?

What are the chances that the GOP house and senate pass something to protect Dreamers, and that bill is signed by Trump?

Pretty slim unfortunately. Congress is under the control of the GOP, and even by some voodoo and some tiny number of Republicans vote for a bill that protects the dreamers, Trump will not sign the bill so they will probably need supermajority to overturn the Presidential Veto. It's a huge fucking mess, and hundreds of thousands of people will be kicked out of their home. I would advise any person under DACA to immediately consult an immigration lawyer and move out west. It's the only way they can realistically escape Trump's wrath.

Boke1879

I don't trust the GOP, but I don't see how they ignore huge corporations basically telling them to make this shit right.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Damn. Specifically the bit on paying their legal fees.

Basically saying, we will sue the government for our employees.

Blader

That's actually a really strong statement. Telling Congress explicitly that DACA protections need to be prioritized over tax reform is kind of a big deal.

Big ups to them, and good luck.

Why Trump would actually follow through with one of his worst and most unpopular campaign promises is utterly beyond me. It doesn't make any political sense.

Why Trump would actually follow through with one of his worst and most unpopular campaign promises is utterly beyond me. It doesn't make any political sense.

Trump wants attention and validation. Even if he has to stoop to his lowest and basest constituents to get it.

It's a race to the bottom, because down there they worship him.

Because the core campaign promise that won the primary for him was white supremacy. In the math of Trump's ego, consolidating the support of the people who adore him while spiting Obama is priceless.

Top Bottom