• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft sells Mediaroom, Xbox to be their TV strategy going forward

Whats wrong with their target for next gen? Entertainment & Games? Sounds like exactly what I want. I don't get all the MS poison that is going around, the exact same shit happened building up to Sony's reveal too.. and their goals turned out to be pretty damn great.

*shrug*

It wasn't like that for sony. The sim city style console is what people are complaining about.

Whats wrong with their target for next gen? Entertainment & Games? Sounds like exactly what I want. I don't get all the MS poison that is going around, the exact same shit happened building up to Sony's reveal too.. and their goals turned out to be pretty damn great.

*shrug*

You need to pay more attention then.

Amir0x

Banned
well that's cool i guess if it gives them money to expand their game development capabilities and actually form a compelling first party portfolio that makes owning the system for exclusives worth a damn. eighteen Halo, Forzas, Gears and Fables ain't gonna do it for me anymore.

I just want the system to be revealed so that I can at least have SOME good things to grasp onto for the system, because if PS4 is all good and Durango is as shitty as it sounds competition is going to be in a bad place. I want competition, good for companies.

blade85

Neo Member
Out of curiosity, why is this? In the States, cable boxes are just a means to an end (i.e. getting at programming) and are more tolerated, rather than appreciated. For instance, I have several of the latest cable boxes from our cable provider and they're slow as molasses and constantly serving up useless ads from the cable company that take forever to load. They're not adding value from my perspective. They're being used out of necessity.

If people could take a advantage of a (presumably) slicker, speedier interface that allows them to get at their content in a more convenient manner, do you not think that would be well received?

The boxes here are ridonculously fast and the only adverts we get is if we use the extra services like "catchup TV" and even then its a small box in the top corner of the tv while you can scroll through your selections below that.

Under normal use or even checking the TV guide we get 0 ads from the compnay themselevs, just the ads you get from the channel you are watching as that channel shows up as a small box at the top of the screen.

Just an example of the virgin media one:

http://theconnectedset.tv/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/virgin-media-tivo-tv-catch-up-m.jpg

In general adverts in the UK are looooot less than those in the states. Plus the service here is pretty cheap as well.

For £45 a month, I get a box that lets me watch one channel while recording 2 others, over 200 tv channels from around the world (including HD channels), unlimited calls to landlines in the UK, and 60Meg cable broadband. So I am wondering how microsoft will be able to compete really. Unless ofcourse they make a deal in such a way that the standard box from sky and virgin is an xbox..but that most probably will not happen.

well that's cool i guess if it gives them money to expand their game development capabilities and actually form a compelling first party portfolio that makes owning the system for exclusives worth a damn. eighteen Halo, Forzas, Gears and Fables ain't gonna do it for me anymore.

I just want the system to be revealed so that I can at least have SOME good things to grasp onto for the system, because if PS4 is all good and Durango is as shitty as it sounds competition is going to be in a bad place. I want competition, good for companies.
I'd like to believe that MS would channel a decent amount of money into expanding their first party portfolio but surely Live brings in a tidy sum and it hasn't felt like much of that has ever been turned around into new games.

Bert

The boxes here are ridonculously fast and the only adverts we get is if we use the extra services like "catchup TV" and even then its a small box in the top corner of the tv while you can scroll through your selections below that.

Under normal use or even checking the TV guide we get 0 ads from the compnay themselevs, just the ads you get from the channel you are watching as that channel shows up as a small box at the top of the screen.

Just an example of the virgin media one:

http://theconnectedset.tv/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/virgin-media-tivo-tv-catch-up-m.jpg

In general adverts in the UK are looooot less than those in the states. Plus the service here is pretty cheap as well.

For £45 a month, I get a box that lets me watch one channel while recording 2 others, over 200 tv channels from around the world (including HD channels), unlimited calls to landlines in the UK, and 60Meg cable broadband. So I am wondering how microsoft will be able to compete really. Unless ofcourse they make a deal in such a way that the standard box from sky and virgin is an xbox..but that most probably will not happen.

I'm a Virgin customer too (though I wouldn't agree about the redonkulous speed of the box). I could see them offer it as an option, maybe with live included or for the top broadband. Kind of like BT did with OnLive. They've partnered with TiVo so I don't see hardware partnerships as out of the question. I'd love to have one less box under my telly, though not an MS one if current rumours come to pass.

Jac_Solar

How many people will totally ignore the "g" word to focus solely on the "e" word I wonder?

Probably most, since the overall message makes it clear that making a games console isn't their goal. They make it clear that it's about TV and getting it into the living room. I mean, they literally say this,
It allows Microsoft to commit 100 percent of its focus on consumer TV strategy with Xbox.

I assume this console will either be marketed as a gaming machine or a TV/Cable machine, not much in between, regardless of what it is. Maybe they will say that it works well for TV and such as well, but I don't think a hybrid marketing campaign would do it any good.

But who would buy that? Gamers want to buy a gaming console, people who watch TV probably just buys a cable box but doesn't care that much about it.

Alx

Probably most, since the overall message makes it clear that making a games console isn't their goal. They make it clear that it's about TV and getting it into the living room. I mean, they literally say this,

It allows Microsoft to commit 100 percent of its focus on consumer TV strategy with Xbox.

So, Microsoft will also stop investing resources into Windows and Office, since they're committing 100% of their focus to their TV strategy ?
It's not too hard to understand that the sentence you quoted mentioned only the resources attributed to TV, instead of having them split between Mediaroom and Xbox, they'll all be working on Xbox. It doesn't mean that games and other fields are ignored. Actually it's said just as literally in a sentence below that you quoted :

With the sale of Mediaroom, Microsoft is dedicating all TV resources to Xbox in a continued mission to make it the premium entertainment service that delivers all the games and entertainment consumers want

Top Bottom