• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft shuts down Bethesda France

Bernoulli

M2 slut
O2TT6Nu.jpeg

8 years of my life dedicated to
@Bethesda_fr
, 8 years of wonderful encounters, memories that I will never forget, and unique opportunities.

A page that is turning and which hurts many people.
Thanks to the CM, the community and us, mods, for making this possible

Just when Fallout was becoming popular again but the decision happened before that

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think it's their marketing department that's being closed (localization, community management, customer support, etc.), and their French studios like Arkane Lyon are unaffected by this. Still, it's awful news for those impacted, so hopefully, they'll be landing on their feet shortly.
Xbox was already doing great outside the U.S., they do not need additional support. Smart, double down on the America F-Yeah thanks to a mostly U.S. based influencer feedback loop…

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
It's like Bethesda Middle East. They are Bethesda's marketing departments. They also fired the board of directors after acquisition.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/zeni...hase-by-xbox-microsoft.1596623/post-262760312
I had an old post predicting they will merge the publishing arms.
They had to, all the women dev in the studio were dead after the stellar blade previews.
It's a publishing arms. There's no "devs" in these studios. This is not Arkane Lyon. No need for "Bethesda France" when there is an "Xbox France" team too.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I mean Starfield probably didn't generate the revenue they were expecting, there was bound to be repercussions. Plus Xbox in Europe is kinda of dead so it makes sense.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

It's like Bethesda Middle East. They are Bethesda's marketing departments. They also fired the board of directors after acquisition.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/zeni...hase-by-xbox-microsoft.1596623/post-262760312
I had an old post predicting they will merge the publishing arms.

It's a publishing arms. There's no "devs" in these studios. This is not Arkane Lyon. No need for "Bethesda France" when there is an "Xbox France" team too.

Yeah, it's these business side positions that feel the heat after an acquisition, most positions that overlap will be lost eventually.

TVexperto

I heard Bethesda Germany / ZeniMax is next..

Meaning there will be nobody left responsible for good dubbing, localization and making sure that lips actually move to the non english voices

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

This is it, I assume.
Yeah, it's these business side positions that feel the heat after an acquisition, most positions that overlap will be lost eventually.

I lost a pretty good job a few years back when the parent company acquired a company that did what I did for them as a near full time contractor. Bummer, for sure (I loved that job!) but essentially, my whole department went from the manager down. Sad news all round.

acm2000

it only had about 15 employees doing stuff that could easily be done central, seems crazy it existed in the first place.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Sorry for anyone that lost their jobs, sincerely. But there is literally no point to paying for 2 publishers. The US branch of Bethesda publishing is not really needed either. MS can obviously publish anything anywhere in the world. So can Activision. I'd rather not increase costs on the consumer end paying for 3 branches to do the job of 1.

Shin-Ra

Sorry for anyone that lost their jobs, sincerely. But there is literally no point to paying for 2 publishers. The US branch of Bethesda publishing is not really needed either. MS can obviously publish anything anywhere in the world. So can Activision. I'd rather not increase costs on the consumer end paying for 3 branches to do the job of 1.
Microsoft can obviously publish all of their games on Blu-ray to sell to people that do actually buy their games, but no. They’ve started not bothering with that.

The actions of every méga-entreprise should be questioned. Is this to improve the quality of their game publishing, or more penny pinching?

Wait till they find out about Capcom USA in San Francisco, California.
Capcom USA is fine, unless Capcom parent is acquired by an even larger company and becomes mostly redundant. It takes a lot of work to release those big games simultaneously around the world!

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Microsoft can obviously publish all of their games on Blu-ray to sell to people that do actually buy their games, but no. They’ve started not bothering with that.

The actions of every méga-entreprise should be questioned. Is this to improve the quality of their game publishing, or more penny pinching?
And considering the “quality “ of Microsoft’s efforts in Europe, if anything they could do with beefing up their marketing arm there.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Regional office? Most likely localization work, marketing, sales, and logistics. Same as any regional office working for a large global publisher. Take a huge amount of work to release games simultaneously around the world.
Curious how this workflow will shift. I assume they maybe have a Xbox office already doing the same work for that region so they didn’t want to double up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom