• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: The Xbox 360's 10 Year Lifecycle Could Overlap With Next-Gen

KAL2006

Banned
E3 2012 reveal for 720
Halo 4 for 360 fall 2012 release
E3 2013 full details for 720
Fall 2013 release of 720
Halo 5 for 720 fall 2014 release

Withnail

Omikaru said:
2012: Halo 4 on 360.
2013: Next-generation Xbox launches.
2014: Halo 5 on next-generation Xbox.
2015: 360 discontinued.

Believe it. And I bet you we'll see similar movements from Sony with the PS4. Something tells me Sony won't let Microsoft get a year long head start on them this time around.

Yeah I think this is correct. The whole reason they've announced a whole new Halo trilogy rather than just Halo 4 is because they will use it to bridge hardware generations.

BLagiver said:
It will be a sad 10 years with just kinect crap, multiplats and halo 15, 16, 17 and forza 8, 9, 10. Then you add in the 60 dollars times 10 and you have 600 dollars you could of saved in XBL fees. In this economy every penny counts bros.

What is this? This is shit from a fanboy writing factory that's on strike. Fucking terrible contribution and you should be ashamed of yourself. Unless you are being sarcastic, then well done.

Anyway, I don't think they'll unveil in 2012 to be honest. They're riding a wave right now and with all the great games coming out (for consoles in general) in the next few months it wouldn't be a great move to show the next one at this point. I'm unsure of the "PS2 power" that the 360 will have. Who knows though, in this economy which really I don't personally see changing for another 4-5 years maybe the $99 sweet spot will garner more sales than I think.

I assume they'll unveil at E3 2013. I honestly don't see the Wii U as a huge "sweat" factor for Sony nor Microsoft. Anecdotal, but they lost a lot of consumer loyalty from me with the 3DS launch and I won't be a "day 1" for any of their hardware products for the near future unless it launches with one hell of a software lineup.

Marrshu said:
Wasn't Microsoft working on some forward compatibility some time ago? I remember hearing something about it ages ago, but I don't recall anything coming of it.
It'd be an interesting way to coax early sales as well as giving a little more perceived value to the existing X360 release, but if it does happen in a major way, I would expect all first party and select third party releases to be a part of it. Of course, it seems just as likely that they could always just release an upgraded version of a title at full price considering the success of some of the recent HD re-releases.

Omikaru said:
And by the time the system launches, PC has already surpassed it.
I don't think it will matter much, just like it doesn't really matter to most if high-end PCs available now are ten or more times the horsepower of a currently five- and six-year old consoles. The fixed specs and relatively down-to-metal access afforded by dedicated hardware and mature development software should allow for performance and next-gen sheen to be more than enough for most people...especially when you factor total upfront purchases between the two choices. I also don't think most people considering a gaming system are really putting both a similarly-capable personal computer and a new console on the same comparison table when mulling over a purchase...that will be limited to the much smaller group of hardcore players who tend to be early adopters, anyway.

It will still come down to accessibility, features, and software to differentiate and that's why you see so many still buying millions of consoles and console games despite their age and limited capability relative to the average desktop PC. The upcoming gen will be a lot smoother to transition to than last gen where everything basically had to take a long, expensive, and bumpy road to adapting to and decently utilizing the multithread/multicore CPU and modern graphics tech, so more impressive results should really be out in front, starting with the launch titles.

SeanR1221

I'm calling...

- Insane integration with Xbox Live.

- Controller will pretty much be the same

- Kinect standard with every console

- Gears of War 4 or New Gears of War game at launch.

SeanR1221 said:
I'm calling...

I don't mind any of those.

I really, really, really, really, really hope that it is B/C with current XBLA games though.

Shurs

SeanR1221 said:
I think this is entirely dependent on when they launch and who they're going up against at the time. If, once again, they jump out ahead of Sony by a year, I don't think they need to release a huge title like Gears or Halo at launch. People will buy the system regardless, simply because it's new and improved. They can save the next Gears or Halo 5 to counter the launch of PS4.

If they launch, head-to-head, against PS4, then they will definitely pull out a proverbial big gun for launch.

plagiarize said:
an unveiling at E3 next year would be completely in line with a 2013 debut.

Too early for a holiday 2013 release. They will show it for the first time in the same year that they release it.

SeanR1221

Shurs said:
I think this is entirely dependent on when they launch and who they're going up against at the time. If, once again, they jump out ahead of Sony by a year, I don't think they need to release a huge title like Gears or Halo at launch. People will buy the system regardless, simply because it's new and improved. They can save the next Gears or Halo 5 to counter the launch of PS4.

If they launch, head-to-head, against PS4, then they will definitely pull out a proverbial big gun for launch.

Good point.

As for BC with XBLA games, I've been saying this for a while...

You'll pay a license transfer fee (800-1600 points) and not all the XBLA games will make the cut, but most will.

However, I'm sure most developers will push for XBLA BC. I mean, it's not like the games take up any shelf space, and they're just hanging around earning them money.

Well, I was going to buy a slim with Kinect at the next price drop, but I'll just hang on to my fatty and save up for 2013 for Xbox Next and Kinect 2.0 which will probably be smaller, cheaper to produce and more accurate.

Can't wait for the Full-HD remakes that we'll get next-gen, because you just now BC isn't going to happen in a reliable way.

FrankT

Omikaru said:

Believe it. And I bet you we'll see similar movements from Sony with the PS4. Something tells me Sony won't let Microsoft get a year long head start on them this time around.

Pretty close to reallity. The question is will it be one or two years left in the 10 cycle. I also think 360 will sale beyond 2015, but who knows how long.

As far as next-gen MS goes I think they could have a very rough generation and especially so if Sony comes out first which I have a feeling they will or at the very least the same time. MS played a lot of right cards this generation, but 1 retail core exclusive in nearly a year? Do they think this will work next-gen? They bought a lot of 3rd party exclusives and 3rd party exclusive DLC on the backs of being first, but no way that is going to happen next gen if Sony comes out first or at the same time which leaves them where they are today. Riding the 3rd party wave with some Kinect thrown in while reducing their first party studios to very few. They will keep riding the profit wave as long as they can, but even then soon enough the RD costs will sink into that to launch the next platform. Unless they really start to build their first party it is going to be a very interesting launch and sustain for them next gen. The one plus from this gen is they have a whole lot more fans this gen than last.

theskat said:
I just want E3 2012 Microsoft conference end with the word "Imagine...." and then show a 30 second clip that TOTALLY blows whatever then-current PC game out of this world! Then the numbers 2014 blur for just for the tinyest moment on the screen, and then... silence. Then, let the GAF meltdown begins. :D

So you want them to completely lie

Curufinwe

Omikaru said:

Looks good to me.

Zoe said:
There were lots of people on here who thought it meant 10 years before the next console.

Which is bizarre because we should all be familiar with the 10-year life cycle for the PS1 and PS2 which saw successor consoles released after six years.

GavinGT said:
I see nothing there that indicates there will be a new Xbox at next year's E3. He doesn't even acknowledge that part of the question. Why would they? 360's in a great place right now.
People see what they want to see.
Metro said:
given we are still growing, we think we’re at a healthy part in the life cycle
The only thing we know for sure is that retailers, publishers,developers and analysts don't expect new PS or XB consoles before 2014.

Avalanche Studios: New hardware in 2014 (June 20,2011)

GameStop: Xbox 720 and PS4 not out until 2014 (July 15,2011)

Skyrim boss: No PS4, Xbox 720 before 2014 (3 Aug,2011)

Analysts at IDC: Xbox 720 in 2014;PS4 in 2015 (Aug 18,2011)

Interestingly enough, this week we found out that THQ is clueless about PS4 or Xbox 720.

THQ’s Danny Bilson
You’re talking about plans for the next three years. A lot’s been announced for calendar ’13, and so on: is this the barrier against which you’re expecting to see new hardware come in from Microsoft and Sony? Around 2014?

Danny Bilson: I mean, I don’t know. And I’m being honest with you. I keep asking, and I keep not getting clear answers.

But the answer the question about new hardware? As soon as we hear we’ll make the call about what games are on the fence, and they’ll either be exclusive to the new hardware or they’ll cross the line and be on current hardware and enhanced for the new hardware. That’s not really a big challenge, because these games are very ambitious anyway.

(Tue, Aug 16, 2011)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Parmenides said:
That's a fascinating one to pick, given the quote.

"We obviously talk to everybody, and everybody talks to us," he said. "We have some intelligence to go on that, by early 2014, we're pretty sure there'll be at least one next-generation console on the market.
I don't think people who are predicting Fall 2013 consider early 2014 radically different.

It's not even unusual for such differences to happen regionally.

Oppo

SeanR1221 said:
I'm calling...

Can you be more specific? I'm just wondering, what else they could do in this regard. Assuming the current level of Live integration is merely Sane, of course.

If there's no new MS hardware announcement at next E3, that does validate Nintendo's Wii U strategy somewhat more than before, at least to me.

I do think it'll be 2014/2015 for MS and Sony. I had originally thought 2013 but there's a reason that flurry of articles all agree with each other.

legbone

considering the vita is coming out late this year in japan and early next year everywhere else this is no big surprise. :p heh heh.

SmokyDave

I wish they'd get on with it, the 360 is looking a little long in the tooth.

Osietra said:
What would be awesome is if they announce this to the press at E3 with the bombshell that the audience are actually literally sitting on the next console. How cool would that be? The next xbox is a chair. It could have cool secret compartments and everything, with vibro-feedback fully integrated into the cushions etc.
Someone put an OG Xbox in a Lazy Boy recliner. It looked awesome but I can't find a picture for you :(

Jin34

[Nintex] said:
In other words:
"Hurry the fuck up engineering team we need this thing out the door next christmas!!!"

You must be the only one that thinks the next Xbox might come out next year :p

BurntPork

Banned
Mindman said:
Maybe in the RAM dept. but that's it.
Heh. So you think they'll go with a GPU equivalent to the top card and an 8+ core CPU? you wanna bet on that?

I'm thinking they'll announce it next E3 (but not with much info or games) to pop the Wii U's hype balloon, and it'll launch some time in 2013 (probably November) and will use the 28nm process. It'll be about 10x the current gen and 2-4x Wii U. (On-par with the 6950 in terms of GPU power unless a radical new GPU architecture comes out of nowhere.) It'll have a single $349.99 SKU with a 500GB HDD.

kswiston

360 is now six years old. At worst, it will have seven years before its successor launches. What other major console has ever had seven years on the market before seeing a successor?

360 has had a good run, but it is about time for new systems.

Medalion said:
Despite people mock the Wii U's potential

Microsoft and Sony would be stupid to give the Wii U a year or 2 head start
If the rumored specs for the Wii U are true I doubt MS and Sony are too worried about it... it's more like a current gen or 1.5 type of system. I'd love a 2013 announcement of the next-gen consoles then a 2014 launch, but we'll probably see 2012 and 2013 instead.

Edit, just read Parmenides' post...good news about 2014! Hope those quotes are accurate.

Rad-

Jtyettis said:
Pretty close to reallity. The question is will it be one or two years left in the 10 cycle. I also think 360 will sale beyond 2015, but who knows how long.

As far as next-gen MS goes I think they could have a very rough generation and especially so if Sony comes out first which I have a feeling they will or at the very least the same time. MS played a lot of right cards this generation, but 1 retail core exclusive in nearly a year? Do they think this will work next-gen? They bought a lot of 3rd party exclusives and 3rd party exclusive DLC on the backs of being first, but no way that is going to happen next gen if Sony comes out first or at the same time which leaves them where they are today. Riding the 3rd party wave with some Kinect thrown in while reducing their first party studios to very few. They will keep riding the profit wave as long as they can, but even then soon enough the RD costs will sink into that to launch the next platform. Unless they really start to build their first party it is going to be a very interesting launch and sustain for them next gen. The one plus from this gen is they have a whole lot more fans this gen than last.

MS still has the advantage of having the bigger exclusives though. That said, they definitely should grow their first party more. I think their fall lineups are always good but they should have at least one "bigger" exclusive for every spring.

SeanR1221

PortTwo said:
Can you be more specific? I'm just wondering, what else they could do in this regard. Assuming the current level of Live integration is merely Sane, of course.

If there's no new MS hardware announcement at next E3, that does validate Nintendo's Wii U strategy somewhat more than before, at least to me.

I do think it'll be 2014/2015 for MS and Sony. I had originally thought 2013 but there's a reason that flurry of articles all agree with each other.

There's a lot they can do.

Live integration built into the Windows OS, deeper WP7 integration, sending messages/the new XBL beacons over texts, I just think you're going to see Live drenched in everything to have you "connected" 24/7.

genjiZERO

parsed down this really is saying the life-cycle of the current gen will be less that 10 years. There's always been overlap . . . they still sell PS2s afterall . . . so really what he's saying is 'we'll support the 360 even after out new console launches - wink" - which frankly sounds like bullshit to me. I guess this is good news for those wanting new consoles to come out, but kinda suck for those of us who wanted a long generation.

Who seriously thought they meant it would be 10+ years before they release the new system due to the 360 still being on shelves? I mean really?

kswiston said:
360 is now six years old. At worst, it will have seven years before its successor launches. What other major console has ever had seven years on the market before seeing a successor?

360 has had a good run, but it is about time for new systems.
The Nintendo Family Computer (1983) had its successor, the Super Famicom (1990), introduced in seven years.

Omikaru said:

If anything Sony will beat them to the punch. There is nothing holding Sony back technology wise that would make them forfeit a year to the 360. It just won't happen again.

JWong

Banned
360 is already dead with the Kinect.

Kinect is pretty much a console launch with they way they're forcing all their studios to make Kinect games.

Wazzim

Banned
BurntPork said:
Heh. So you think they'll go with a GPU equivalent to the top card and an 8+ core CPU? you wanna bet on that?

I'm thinking they'll announce it next E3 (but not with much info or games) to pop the Wii U's hype balloon, and it'll launch some time in 2013 (probably November) and will use the 28nm process. It'll be about 10x the current gen and 2-4x Wii U. (On-par with the 6950 in terms of GPU power unless a radical new GPU architecture comes out of nowhere.) It'll have a single $349.99 SKU with a 500GB HDD.
That will be €400 minimum, unless they like big losses.

Omikaru said:

I am feeling the same thing here. Sure, the WiiU will beat them out the door, but I feel like the actual gamers are not going to be too swayed. I am going to go one further and say that E3 2013 the Next-gen Xbox will be announced and released in November.

PortTwo said:
From a personal standpoint- If new consoles don't come out until 2014 or 2015 these manufacturers will have rammed whatever relevancy they had left into the ground.

Busty

Banned
SeanR1221 said:
I'm calling...

Why would Microsoft want to launch their new console with a multi platform game?

CHEESE IT!

BurntPork said:

Wouldn't that be a historically long time between an announcement and the release of the console? I mean that's like 17 months in advance…

Let us all just pray that they learned from their engineering mistakes with the 360.

A failure rate on launch version of a console should never ever be above 50% or even close to that.

Top Bottom