• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to Push Game Pass Advertisement In a New Windows 11 Update, Setting the Tone for OS Promotions

Bernoulli

M2 slut
We are introducing a new Game Pass recommendation card on the Settings homepage. The Game Pass recommendation card on Settings Homepage will be shown to you if you actively play games on your PC. As a reminder – the Settings homepage will be shown only on the Home and Pro editions of Windows 11 and if you’re signed into Windows with your Microsoft account.

settings-homepage-gamepass-1024x731.png

djjinx2

What does this have to do with anything here?

Because Windows is advertising Game Pass it's all ABK acquisition's fault that Xbox is in trouble?

Such a narrative built here the last 2 weeks that Xbox is doomed.

Couple of studios shut (even then some of the staff have been moved to other roles)
Console sales have dropped massively.

But none of this would point to Xbox being dead or finished.

I really don't get it like with your post, people seem to pile on the train and it gathers momentum here. Like a fucking Hive mind.

Meanwhile there are many millions of people just enjoying their consoles.

Sorry for the off topic rant but nearly every new thread is the same this past week, regurgitating the same news story over and over.

Last edited:

Three

Maybe because it's less invasive?

Otherwise I haven't got a clue why
It's just so out of place to have it there that it feels invasive. Keep the advertising to the news feed, search bar, app store or something. Putting it in Settings is just strange. Imagine you're trying to troubleshoot some issue and a gamepass ad shows up. You're not in a "discovering" mood when you're in settings. Why they would put it there is beyond me. I guess telemetry data told them a lot of people spend time there.

King Dazzar

At this rate my next OS will be a Linux distro for my main gaming PC.
Yeah I need to explore other options at some point in the future. Tbh, these days 95% of my PCing is just using chrome. All my spreadsheets etc are all on the cloud and accessed/updated via the browser. It does get more complicated if gaming though... maybe Steam will do more again on that side.

djjinx2

It's just so out of place to have it there that it feels invasive. Keep the advertising to the news feed, search bar, app store or something. Putting it in Settings is just strange. Imagine you're trying to troubleshoot some issue and a gamepass ad shows up. You're not in a "discovering" mood when you're in settings. Why they would put it there is beyond me. I guess telemetry data told them a lot of people spend time there.
Oh it is strange no doubt, but they must have "reasons"

Kadve

Well not exactly in your face (unlike those office ads you get whenever you update the OS) and lets be honest here. Windows has always contained ads for other Microsoft products.

So don't really care to be honest

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

They definitely check what and where people usually click. In the last big Xbox dashboard update they've inserted the store tile where previously you had the My Games tile. You can bet you're going to accidentially launch it at least once.

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
What does this have to do with anything here?

Because Windows is advertising Game Pass it's all ABK acquisition's fault that Xbox is in trouble?

Such a narrative built here the last 2 weeks that Xbox is doomed.

Couple of studios shut (even then some of the staff have been moved to other roles)
Console sales have dropped massively.

But none of this would point to Xbox being dead or finished.

I really don't get it like with your post, people seem to pile on the train and it gathers momentum here. Like a fucking Hive mind.

Meanwhile there are many millions of people just enjoying their consoles.

Sorry for the off topic rant but nearly every new thread is the same this past week, regurgitating the same news story over and over.
Because I’m fed up. I’m fed up with the years and years and years of miss management and wasted opportunities.
XBOX was a fantastic platform back in X360 era. I have a XBSX and my children each have an XBSS in their rooms. Each with gamepass, each with the same hopes we’ve all shared for years, that one day XBOX will release a plethora of incredible games. Instead, we are at the point where the entire ecosystem is about to collapse. No amount of MICROSOFT advertising Gamepass is going to elevate XBOX to the heights it once was. Nothing positive comes out of Microsoft or XBox these days, months, years.

Sorry I derailed but I’m just so disappointed in what could have been.

GHG

Gold Member
Yeah I need to explore other options at some point in the future. Tbh, these days 95% of my PCing is just using chrome. All my spreadsheets etc are all on the cloud and accessed/updated via the browser. It does get more complicated if gaming though... maybe Steam will do more again on that side.

I have a laptop that runs manjaro full time but that's purely for work.

To be honest I never really considered Linux as viable for gaming until I got the Steam Deck, I think that's been a huge accelerant for the Linux gaming community and it's come a long way over the last few years as a result.

Just need valve to hurry up and release SteamOS officially. For now bazzite is the closest thing we are going to get:

Laptop1991

They can advertise it all they want, i only buy games, not rent them whether gamepass or any other rental subscription service, and i won't use the windows store to play my PC games, too much like "games for windows live" and i really didn't like using that for Fallout 3, GTA 4 and Bioshock 2.

feynoob

I have a laptop that runs manjaro full time but that's purely for work.

To be honest I never really considered Linux as viable for gaming until I got the Steam Deck, I think that's been a huge accelerant for the Linux gaming community and it's come a long way over the last few years as a result.

Just need valve to hurry up and release SteamOS officially. For now bazzite is the closest thing we are going to get:

Linux for gaming sucks. Not as good as windows sadly.

djjinx2

I dgaf where I play my games, so I'm in denial about what exactly? I'll just get a PS6 if XBOX did pull out of the market entirely (not happening this or next gen at least). Just sick of the circlejerk, it's boring seeing the same posters with the same memes and shitposting or hating at every single little thing or opportunity .

XBOX consolidated QA testers and let some people go from Acti and probs Bethesda, but here you will see headlines like "MS fires Activision and Bethesda staff", the thread then follows into the routine of XBOX is dead and one big boring circlejerk. Surely PlayStation fans here shouldn't even care so much but the fight is real I guess and the other side would maybe the same but in a much less scale.

I shouldn't expect any less than these kind of responses though I guess.

*This is Neogaf.gif*

Last edited:

thief183

The only reason I still boot up windows is just to play, everything else is made on Kali. If they keep on pushing those bs I,I'll just stop playing non linux supported games and be over with Microsoft all together.

djjinx2

you’re in denial about Xbox dying.
Please tell how many Game pass users there are, also how many Series consoles sold?

Underperforming and missing targets definitely. But it doesn't mean it's dying or dead. Why would it be celebrated anyway, it's just another company.

360's success wasn't expected was it, but it happened to be successful.

We don't even know MS long term plan yet, so why the fuck is this place celebrating every tiny fuck up or mistep like a nail in a coffin. It was funny for a day but fuck me there's around 10 thoughtful posts out of every 100 posted, the rest are just memes for a nice laughing reaction emoji. Maybe Im the one who shouldn't be here I guess. Anyway enough derailling, my apologies

Gamezone

Gold Member
I buy cheap PC games on Steam, but Gamepass would be a treasure for me when I was a kid and owned a console. I used to rent one Genesis game for $5 just so I could play one weekend. Therefor I hope that Gamepass will keep growing.

Last edited:

Mithos

Revo Uninstaller does a really great job of deleting everything Xbox related off your computer, if you don't want it there. It's great for getting rid off all the superfluous Microsoft bloatware.
Indeed, I never knew how much trash (registry + files) that's left on your system even after you uninstalled something (not only MS software), with Revo Uninstaller I know... And I can remove that leftover trash.

NEbeast

I dgaf where I play my games, so I'm in denial about what exactly? I'll just get a PS6 if XBOX did pull out of the market entirely (not happening this or next gen at least). Just sick of the circlejerk, it's boring seeing the same posters with the same memes and shitposting or hating at every single little thing or opportunity .

XBOX consolidated QA testers and let some people go from Acti and probs Bethesda, but here you will see headlines like "MS fires Activision and Bethesda staff", the thread then follows into the routine of XBOX is dead and one big boring circlejerk. Surely PlayStation fans here shouldn't even care so much but the fight is real I guess and the other side would maybe the same but in a much less scale.

I shouldn't expect any less than these kind of responses though I guess.

*This is Neogaf.gif*
Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU

StereoVsn

Yeah, I have been running Linux on separate system for couple of years now. It’s not quite there yet for me to swap my gaming PC to it, but getting quite close.

I am done with Windows for everything other than gaming. And even there slowly migrating over.

Z O N E

The only way Windows MIGHT get better is if it has competition, because right now it's annoying that my PC, which is several thousands, is still sluggish to open the damn file explorer.

I've honestly been thinking about getting a Macbook for my daily driver to be honest...

But we need a new OS competitor that is open like Windows, but butter smooth like Apples OS.

We are introducing a new Game Pass recommendation card on the Settings homepage. The Game Pass recommendation card on Settings Homepage will be shown to you if you actively play games on your PC. As a reminder – the Settings homepage will be shown only on the Home and Pro editions of Windows 11 and if you’re signed into Windows with your Microsoft account.

settings-homepage-gamepass-1024x731.png

I don't support ads OS but this isn't an add it's a Public Service Announcement, gamepass is the best thing to happen to gaming in the past 2 gens.

Topher

Gold Member
This dispels some of the notions going around that Game Pass is going to be shut down, imo. Don't seem them bothering with this if the service was on the outs.

Confused Abc GIF by The Bachelorette

I know you're not, but this is constant on Neogaf.

The constant is Microsoft repeatedly inserting themselves into the news and not in a good way. GAF is no different than the any other site that discusses gaming.

simpatico

So they are trying to tempt me to upgrade from Windows 10? I'm most excited for ads in the File Explorer.

*Quick Access
Desktop
Downloads
Documents
APPLEBEES HAS BOGO BONELESS WINGS ALL WEEK
Music
Pictures
Video

Hell I think you could even integrate them in Task Manager. Microsoft slide in my DMs if you want to know more.

Top Bottom