• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: "We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics"

Everyone is so quick to bash Xbox on this forum. Sony does not have a very powerful system just as Microsoft. All I here out of Sony fan boys is GDDR 5. Hey guess what people when it comes to GDDR 3 and GDDR 5 your not going to tell a difference. As a matter of fact DDR3 is better ram for gaming what a shocker! I feel Xbox won the battle. They showed a slick OS that is quick and limitless it also plays games that look just a good as the beloved PS4. They also said upfront that this day is about what the console can do. E3 is for games. Did everyone miss that memo?
someone trace this account ip, this post can't be real

i-Lo

From the Forza trailer, it seems pretty clear its still a large visual upgrade over current-gen, even taking into account its just an in-game cinematic trailer(for example, it looks just as good, if not better than the Drive Club trailer). PS4 will most likely have the edge again, but I dont think the difference in graphics capability between the two will be worlds apart or anything.

pmVozSe.jpg

Are you seriously going to put forth what looks like the autovista car model? It's best to wait for actual in-engine footage. People should have realized this by now about PD and Turn 10.

Ford are you serious?

Are you seriously asking that?

someone trace this account ip, this post can't be real

Welcome to GAF.

Margalis

Banned
The PS3 and 360 had very different architectures and components. While PS3 may have been better on paper according to some metrics it was really an apples-to-oranges comparison.

PS4 and XB1 have very similar components and architecture. Direct comparison is much more appropriate there, and PS4 seems basically better in every way.

Like I said, evidence?

I've not seen any to point in either ones advantage at this point.

What on earth are you talking about? MS barely showed any games at this event, how can there be an advantage?

Sony's first party will blow MS first party out of the water, that will be the advantage.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Do we have any actual evidence that the PS4 has any advantage in power whatsoever over the Xbox One?

Power draw means nothing because as we've seen with PC over the years that more performance doesn't mean it uses more power.

Yes, confirmation of:

12 Shader Units / 768 ops / clock for XB1 (1.22Tf)
18 Shader Units / 1152 ops / clock for PS4 (1.84Tf)

Seanspeed

Banned
Are you seriously going to put forth what looks like the autovista car model? It's best to wait for actual in-engine footage. People should have realized this by now about PD and Turn 10.
Yes, I am, because its a large upgrade from what we've seen before.

We've seen in-engine footage as well. Thats what the trailer was. I think its safe to assume there will be a similarly large upgrade in the gameplay visuals as well.

But I'm sorry. Everybody continue on exaggerating things to no end. Dont mind me.

i-Lo

Loved how shitty those CoD Ghost textures looked. Got 3 OS's eating up that DDR3 RAM.

Actually, it's because of sub-par feed. I am pretty sure that game looks great. And if one remembers what transpired with CoD3 vs CoD4 last gen, then I'd suggest waiting for their CoD game after Ghost.

FordGTGuy

Banned
What on earth are you talking about? MS barely showed any games at this event, how can there be an advantage?

Sony's first party will blow MS first party out of the water, that will be the advantage.

You do realize this event was only about the hardware and we knew beforehand that only a few games would be shown. We've known now for a little bit that E3 is where they are going to show off their games and today we got a confirmation of this.

Durante

Smart choice. Puts Sony in sort of an awkward position, though; the PS4 will need to sell quite well for companies to feel it's worth their time to spend considerable resources upgrading the PS4 version.
I really don't think that's the case. The architecture is more or less the same, and the difference is really in the GPU.

It seems more like it could be a matter of "run this game at 1440x1080 on XB1 and 1920x1080 on PS4" for many multiplatform titles. There are no "considerable resources" ivolved in something like that, but it makes for good DF comparisons.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Microsoft has definitely dropped the ball big time and the only reason I'm even looking at it right now is Forza.

Unless they show some really good exclusive games I'll be passing up this Xbox entirely and just sticking to PC.

He sure is. His N4G ways were the same.

Trying to make sure something that was said is true is now considered a N4G way? If that's true I might as well just go stay on N4G but seeing as this is real life and that is not true... how about I at least try to find out if something is true before I make a decision.

GhaleonEB

Wow, you :-O ?? Things are really changing.

The PS4's games focus really appealed to me. The media center drift of the 360 added almost no features I was interested in over the course of the last several years, when the evolution really accelerated. Today it was pretty clear MS was not making a system aimed at me, since my primary focus is gaming. Media functionality is purely secondary.

That said, I'm not snagging a new system until some time next year. So I'm going to wait and see. But I'm heavily leaning toward the PS4.

I was a Microsoft customer, not necessarily a fan. :p

i-Lo

Yes, I am, because its a large upgrade from what we've seen before.

We've seen in-engine footage as well. Thats what the trailer was. I think its safe to assume there will be a similarly large upgrade in the gameplay visuals as well.

But I'm sorry. Everybody continue on exaggerating things to no end. Dont mind me.

Have you seen the kind of uber quality trailers that PD puts out for GT5 (and then it really doesn't look close in actual gameplay or replay)? Turn 10 has a history of down sampling their images featuring cars at their maximum fidelity that were never seen in replay let alone gameplay.

I am sure that we'll see a substantial improvement, because it's inevitable. But, how much exactly is best experienced when they show it as an actual replay instead of these cinematic cutscenes.

But you're welcome to your faith but I've been burned and it'd be a shame to see another victim.

Spongebob

Banned
Do we have any actual evidence that the PS4 has any advantage in power whatsoever over the Xbox One?

Power draw means nothing because as we've seen with PC over the years that more performance doesn't mean it uses more power.
Plenty.

768 GPU ALUs has already been confirmed, which is 12CU.

The PS4 is already confirmed to be 18CU.

Appleman

Actually, it's because of sub-par feed. I am pretty sure that game looks great. And if one remembers what transpired with CoD3 vs CoD4 last gen, then I'd suggest waiting for their CoD game after Ghost.

Yeah, once they can ditch the 360 and PS3 I think we'll have a much better idea of what the next gen CoDs can look like, although the jump from sub 720p to (hopefully) 1080p should be nice

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I really don't think that's the case. The architecture is more or less the same, and the difference is really in the GPU.

It seems more like it could be a matter of "run this game at 1440x1080 on XB1 and 1920x1080 on PS4" for many multiplatform titles. There are no "considerable resources" ivolved in something like that, but it makes for good DF comparisons.

If the current rumor of 5GB for games on XB1 and 7GB for games on PS4 are true, will we really see 2GB go to waste?

You do realize this event was only about the hardware and we knew beforehand that only a few games would be shown. We've known now for a little bit that E3 is where they are going to show off their games and today we got a confirmation of this.

This even was a complete disaster, I am now 100% convinced Sony's first party is already way ahead of MS. Just look at Guerrilla Games, their game looks kick ass and they have published two technical documents on it already. Sony's first party isn't going to fuck around, PS4 has better specs and they will show you what the machine can do.

FordGTGuy

Banned
This even was a complete disaster, I am now 100% convinced Sony's first party is already way ahead of MS. Just look at Guerrilla Games, their game looks kick ass and they have published two technical documents on it already. Sony's first party isn't going to fuck around, PS4 has better specs and they will show you what the machine can do.

I'm not convinced either are ahead in first party games until we get pass E3 but I don't want to assume anything.

I personally want a PS4 right now and teetering on the edge with the Xbox One but we'll see.

However I personally don't think this event was a disaster I think it was perfect for the audience they were trying to sell it to, that audience not being GAF.

USC-fan

Banned
Like I said, evidence?

Yes, I'm legitimately asking as I want to know if anyone has any real data.

The gpu alone is 50% MORE powerful than the XO.

Everything from vgleaks is pretty much confirm with the specs on the 2 systems.

Durante

If the current rumor of 5GB for games on XB1 and 7GB for games on PS4 are true, will we really see 2GB go to waste?
In multiplatform games? Probably. If you're lucky, maybe some higher-res tetures/buffers. Scaling memory usage to that extent takes slightly more effort than scaling GPU usage.

I don't really believe in that 2 GB difference yet though.

Spongebob

Banned
So asking a question is a bad thing now?

Now that I know that the 768 ops coincides with the 1.2 tflops I'm now content with the fact that it's not as powerful.
I edited my post to clarify.

Edit:
No offense, but some of the posts you've made refuting the VGLeaks information look ridiculous now.

Ricky_R

So asking a question is a bad thing now?

Now that I know that the 768 ops coincides with the 1.2 tflops I'm now content with the fact that it's not as powerful.

Don't read my other comment or anything.

BTW what I said about power draw is completely true...

Dude just get the Xbox Uno, you're not fooling anyone. Just try not to fool yourself.

I'm not convinced either are ahead in first party games until we get pass E3 but I don't want to assume anything.

I personally want a PS4 right now and teetering on the edge with the Xbox One but we'll see.

However I personally don't think this event was a disaster I think it was perfect for the audience they were trying to sell it to, that audience not being GAF.

all fair enough, let's wait for e3

Like I said, evidence?

Yes, I'm legitimately asking as I want to know if anyone has any real data.

there's not going to be any evidence. everybody is just assume the one is 1.2tf and the ps4 is 1.8 (well 1.8 ps4 is known fact). which is the default position.

i think i read somewhere 768 shaders was basically confirmed on the one, but nothing says it couldn't have had a clock bump to increase the flops number that i know of. microsoft did not give out a flop spec or clock speeds.

then, they said 5b transistors, which likely means a HUGE amount (like 2B) dedicated to the esram. i have to think/hope it can help with performance then by making the existing gpu flops more efficient.

we will see either way.

Seanspeed

Banned
Have you seen the kind of uber quality trailers that PD puts out for GT5 (and then it really doesn't look close in actual gameplay or replay)? Turn 10 has a history of down sampling their images featuring cars at their maximum fidelity that were never seen in replay let along gameplay.

I am sure that we'll see a substantial improvement, because it's inevitable. But, how much exactly is best experienced when they show it as an actual replay instead of these cinematic cutscenes.

But you're welcome to your faith but I've been burned and it'd be a shame to see another victim.
Sorry that you got your expectations up too high. I think I'm pretty realistic. And I suspect that more people than not will be more or less satisfied with Xbox's 'next-gen'ness once we see some proper stuff at E3. People are taking this one comment and running with it. Microsoft not showing a whole lot during the conference hasn't helped, but I do think that the Forza trailer has at least flexed their muscle a little bit to hint at whats to come. Gotta admit thats seriously pretty and nothing any current gen system could dream of rendering in-engine.

Osiris

In multiplatform games? Probably. If you're lucky, maybe some higher-res tetures/buffers. Scaling memory usage to that extent takes slightly more effort than scaling GPU usage.

I'm not thinking larger / more detailed assets, just more of them in memory at once, hence less loading / hiccups and general performance gains that would come from that personally.

i-Lo

Do you mean that PS4's OS will be over 1GB or XB1's will be under 3GB or that a disparity of 2GB is inconsequential (in all respects)?

Spongebob

Banned
there's not going to be any evidence. everybody is just assume the one is 1.2tf and the ps4 is 1.8 (well 1.8 ps4 is known fact). which is the default position.

i think i read somewhere 768 shaders was basically confirmed on the one, but nothing says it couldn't have had a clock bump to increase the flops number that i know of. microsoft did not give out a flop spec or clock speeds.

then, they said 5b transistors, which likely means a HUGE amount (like 2B) dedicated to the esram. i have to think/hope it can help with performance then by making the existing gpu flops more efficient.

we will see either way.
Are we still questioning VGLeaks information?

The GPU clock is 800MHz.

The most interesting thing now will be the price of these systems.

If the Wii U was $350 I can't imagine what XboxOne/PS4 will cost.

orioto

Good Art™
I was honestly convinced before that reveal that sony would pay the subtlety and lack of impressiveness of their first party launch, against some impactfull Microsoft exclusives..

But we saw nothing, and worst than that, what we saw was even less edited and rendered to look like a game. But even liek that it wasn't that impressive. Forza has a realllly weird art direction for me. It's all clean and empty. It looks like a bullshot of a current gen game. I mean Drive Club doesn't have that kind of crystal sharp looking aspect in shots, but it's way more realistic.

Again, i honestly think PS4 games or XBO games being more beautiful has nothing to do with tech at this point.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I edited my post to clarify.

Thanks for at least editing your post, it's insane that only asking a question had people jump my shit because they are in full Xbox hate mode(I don't blame them for being in this mode.).

The gpu alone is 50% MORE powerful than the XO.

Everything from vgleaks is pretty much confirm with the specs on the 2 systems.

Right now my interest is purely in the exclusive games but we'll have to see after E3 is done with.

nasos_333

It worked for the Wii?

Sure, now Wii is my most hated console of all time and i would only buy a WiiU at 150$ with super huge successful games on the market only

And that is with actual exclusives and not games like Fable 3 that go to PC a few weeks after xbox version

Ok I have gotta add one more comment, this will hurt the Xbox fans but it kinda proves my theory that Sony first party devs are ahead.

Microsoft CHOSE to show Call of Duty Ghost, the game looks like current gen CoD games with a few more features here and there. The game didn't look "next gen" at all. Why close with a cross gen title? Why not show something amazing your first party devs are working on?

Sony had the balls, they didn't ask EA to come on stage and show BF4, they trust their own studio and delivered big time.

FordGTGuy

Banned
This is going to backfire so hard. Thank fuck Sony is in panic mode and embracing gamers whole heartedly with their strategy. (Seemingly)

Technically we're still waiting on Sony to show all their cards.

I'm not particularly trusting them at their word even more so considering they've lied before when they said they would let Microsoft make the first move and turned around and went for it themselves.

Ok I have gotta add one more comment, this will hurt the Xbox fans but it kinda proves my theory that Sony first party devs are ahead.

Microsoft CHOSE to show Call of Duty Ghost, the game looks like current gen CoD games with a few more features here and there. The game didn't look "next gen" at all. Why close with a cross gen title? Why not show something amazing your first party devs are working on?

Sony had the balls, they didn't ask EA to come on stage and show BF4, they trust their own studio and delivered big time.

Microsoft said on stage they had 15 exclusives coming in the next 12 months and that 8 are new IPs and that the lineup will be shown at E3.

They showed COD at the reveal to get the average COD user to watch the event, which is also why they ended with it.

FordGTGuy

Banned
They did. Its difficult when you only see what you want to see, though.

I'm not understanding why it's so hard for these guys to understand why they had COD at a televised reveal on national US/CA TV and show it at the end. I would think this would not only be a easy concept to understand but straight common sense.

Top Bottom