• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Working to bring low level capabilities of Xbox One Direct3D to Windows.

Thats a very big news, at least if they are not bullshiting. Lower access Directx would be very big thing for PC, especially if it was cross-IHV.

I love competition, it is always good for consumers.

Even if this low-level api gives a 50% performance increase, I would still want Microsoft to get as far away from PC gaming as humanly possible. This is simply a reaction to the possibility of OpenGl suddenly gaining steam (pun very much intended). Microsoft only pretend to care about PC gaming when they sense a threat to their dominance or when they want to sell a new OS. PC gaming's future has to be OpenGL.

So for us laymen, what does this mean? That things will run slightly better on lower spec hardware than they normally would have?

It means nothing. The PC gaming section of Microsoft is a skeleton crew and has been for years. Even if they wanted to bring a reworked, optimised version of DirectX to the PC, they don't have the resources to do it.

KKRT00

Even if this low-level api gives a 50% performance increase, I would still want Microsoft to get as far away from PC gaming as humanly possible. This is simply a reaction to the possibility of OpenGl suddenly gaining steam (pun very much intended). Microsoft only pretend to care about PC gaming when they sense a threat to their dominance or when they want to sell a new OS. PC gaming's future has to be OpenGL.

But OpenGL is not really moving for years and it least this will get us somewhere.

I also prefer open formats and more consumer friendly practices, but OpenGL was here for many years and it still in stagnation.

But OpenGL is not really moving for years and it least this will get us somewhere.

I also prefer open formats and more consumer friendly practices, but OpenGL was here for many years and it still in stagnation.

If that "somewhere" is Microsoft's walled garden then I'd like to stay right where I am.

Fantasmo

They probably mean Windows 8. In which case, no thanks. I don't care if 8 is better now, I have no use for it, unless its free.

Microsoft: divide and (try to) conquer.

Top Bottom