• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One reversals haven't hurt us; "we're in an enviable position"

These are the actual comments:

Most of the answers are fine.

Seems the summary makes it sounds inflammatory.

Q: Do you feel that the overhaul you’ve made to Xbox One’s strategy has hurt its momentum?

A: No. And look, we remain true to our vision that we want to be wherever our consumers want us to be. We think that digital consumption patterns will change and grow over time. We think that the Cloud gives you a level of sophistication, depth and breadth that people can only dream of. And overtime more people will embrace that.
That said, we want to offer consumers choice, including physical discs and being able to do all the things that they want with those physical discs. We want to be available in any format that our consumers are looking for. We’ve always been very committed to consumer choice.

That´s not a fine answer because it´s a bold faced lie. The Xbone did not have any momentum to begin with. That´s why MS changed the policies. Their policies were anti consumer as they come, so they were committed to themselves and third party publishers on the expense of the consumers.

Did you read what I was replying to?

There is no evidence that the PS4 has more preorders in the UK/US than the XB1.

Separately in the UK/US MS are still easily outselling Sony, so there is no mind-share issue, people haven't stopped buying Xbox.

Except there is evidence. I even posted a link that showed evidence beyond anecdotal.

We have even had vouched for insiders close to this information state in some cases the preorders are 8:1 in favor of the PS4, yet the Xbone is "sold out".

Nafai1123

Banned
There is no evidence of this, it is all anecdotal. They are still selling more consoles than Sony in both the US and UK. The Forza/Fifa deal was obviously aimed at mainland Europe with the UK included because they couldn't justify not including them.

Pre-order numbers are not anecdotal.

Poll numbers are not anecdotal.

Number of countries at launch are not anecdotal.

Using current-gen sales numbers as some evidence of next-gen peroformance is pointless, because it implies some level of consumer loyalty which has been proved time and time again to not exist.

Holy fuck that article is infuriating.

It's like "yeah we basically ignored you guys for a few years. But shit man why don't you want to give us 500 dollars now? And for fuck's sake we listened to your whines and we took back our awesome DRM policies, why are you still complaining bitches?"

I've been interpreting their recent PR as:

"Hey dude, sorry I tried to bang your sister. We're still bros, right?"

Chobel

Separately in the UK/US MS are still easily outselling Sony, so there is no mind-share issue, people haven't stopped buying Xbox.

What the hell are talking about? Just show one article that shows that Xbox one is outselling PS4.

TheOddOne

That´s not a fine answer because it´s a bold faced lie. The Xbone did not have any momentum to begin with. That´s why MS changed the policies. Their policies were anti consumer as they come, so they were committed to themselves and third party publishers on the expense of the consumers.
Why did you leave out the second question?

DC R1D3R

Banned
I don't remember what grade it was, somewhere between 1st - 4th? But, me and this other kid had a planned fight every single day. It was by the oak tree, and it lasted until after the recess bell. They just let us fight, until it go too violent.

I was fight club way before Fight Club.
SHHHHHHHH!
Jab-jab, work ya way in to the body son! :]

Hoo-doo

Banned

I.. Eh.. What?

Preorder data everywhere has indicated a PS4 lead. Do you have anything even remotely corroborating your ridiculous claim?

You really going with the "brand loyalty" angle here? Wow.

Well they are. Most companies can't face the backlash MS faced, then reverse policy, and still sellout of their new product.

The fact that demand is still so high for X1 after all that's happened proves his statement.

The fact that people how bought the launch 360 and got red ringed and will still buy a launh X1 proves that.

The_Monk

But then again MS is an American company and the words "humble" and "American" are almost antonyms.

Allow to disagree on this part fellow GAFFer simply because you can't judge an entire population based on one company. There are many people around every corner of the world, GAF is the fine example of a strong connected Community that welcomes everyone not based on country, race or religion so I don't think it's correct to say that. Again, just my humble opinion, you are free to disagree.

I'm from Europe, I'm not a Tier 1 country for MS and they have done many things wrong to be honest, I was expecting more care for the European consumer, however I can't judge everyone in one place just because they have a different way of approaching business. Sometime it's a matter of culture, even.

Gestault

Here is what I don't understand:

How hard is it to just come out and say:

"You know what guys? We screwed up. We thought that the cloud stuff was a great idea, but we really didn't take into account the backlash we would see on our DRM policies. Bottom line we made mistakes with our business plan. So we've tossed those policies out the window ... you the consumers have made it crystal clear what you want and we are now trying to listen to that better than we did before.

Again guys we are sorry for our initial screwup, but we want you to know we will do better going forward."

Instead of

"We're in a fucking awesome spot right now, shit man people envy us brah. Mistakes? Microsoft doesn't make mistakes bitch."

Reading the actual interview might make you feel better.

While no one has any hard evidence that either is doing better in the pre-orders, all signs do however point to PS4 being in the lead.

You're right about the 360 (if that's what you were meaning) selling better than the PS3 in the US, but actually you'll find the PS3 has been outselling the 360 over in the UK the past few months:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps3-outselling-xbox-360-in-the-uk-this-summer/0120222

So maybe not so easily afterall... and not hard to see how the PS4 could be preselling better than the XBone.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Well they are. Most companies can't face the backlash MS faced, then reverse policy, and still sellout of their new product.

The fact that demand is still so high for X1 after all that's happened proves his statement.

The fact that people how bought the launch 360 and got red ringed and will still buy a launh X1 proves that.

People bought the shit out of rrod'd 360s too, mostly everyone loved their 360s despite possibly hating MS.

Why did you leave out the second question?
The second answer is even worse.
Why not stick with your strategy, and just try and educate consumers better on what it was you were trying to do?

A: As a business, the minute we don’t listen to our customers attentively, and adapt and react in an appropriate way, then we would be in a dangerous place. I love the fact that we are reactive and agile in that way. We remain true to our vision – digitally and physically – and we are genuinely in an enviable position versus anyone else in being able to deliver that. I wouldn’t trade places with anybody.

That´s a lie as well.

DocSeuss

It's weird to me how a lot of replies are focusing on the word 'enviable' but not the context of 'our flexibility while remaining true to our vision is enviable.'

That flexibility absolutely should be enviable; if you don't think it is, you, uh, may want to better inform yourself. Seriously, think about how much it would suck for Microsoft to go CHOO CHOO WE DOIN THIS and then realizing it'll NEVER WORK and losing lots of money. They're still making a box with a big focus on digital games and being an all-in-one media device, but they're doing it without all the odious stuff nobody wanted.

It's so much more awesome to be like "oh, people don't want that, so we'll make something more wantable!"

KoopaTheCasual

lol, ok.

It's weird to me how a lot of replies are focusing on the word 'enviable' but not the context of 'our flexibility is enviable.'

That flexibility absolutely should be enviable; if you don't think it is, you, uh, may want to better inform yourself. Seriously, think about how much it would suck for Microsoft to go CHOO CHOO WE DOIN THIS and then realizing it'll NEVER WORK and losing lots of money.

It's so much more awesome to be like "oh, people don't want that, so we'll make something more wantable!"

Except he clearly says position right after 'enviable'. Their ability to uproot their strategy, when presented with bad numbers is definitely impressive, but that doesn't mean they're in an 'enviable' position at all.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Where did get that from?

What that MS are outselling Sony in the US and UK? Are you serious?

Anecdotal or not, but where are you getting this from? I assume you are talking about the 360? Because that is meaningless to next gen. Also the figures Zomgbbq posted were not anecdotal.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=592171

This is for a single retail chain in the UK that showed LTD preorders up to mid July being 3:2 in favor of PS4. With each new week bringing in 2:1 ratio of orders in favor of the PS4. Granted there haven't been any updates since. Which is a shame.

When talking about mind-share current sales figures are a lot more important that minimal pre-order figures from the middle of June. XB1 is sold out of pre-orders, end of story.

Launch sales mean nothing. Both consoles will sell out. On preorders they are behind at least 2:1 and many people have said it is as high as 4:1. Those initial policies have been tremendously damaging to their reputation, which wasn't particular sparkling to begin with.

You have ZERO proof. Nonsense for anyone to say at this stage they know how many preorders either consoles have.

.GqueB.

Banned

Yup. MS will be just fine. People are willing to forgive and forget pretty easily these days. I mean they released a broken console last gen and still came out fine. This reversal will have little to no effect in the long run because in the grand scheme of things who cares really other than internet. People will forget and stop caring about it within the year.

Well come on pal, when your main rival's own country doesn't even really care for their next offering, what else you gonna say huh? Come on man. You're better than this.

Huh????
So if I read that correctly it's ok for him to spew nonsense because you claim Japan does not care for the PS4?
Lets assume for a second that what you said is even remotely true, you think anyone in Japan gives two shits about the xbone?

I don't know where you are going with this.

DC R1D3R

Banned

Really is quite scary how synonymous the Xbox brand is to next-generation gaming.

Zatoichi's Cane said:
Huh????
So if I read that correctly it's ok for him to spew nonsense because you claim Japan does not care for the PS4?
Lets assume for a second that what you said is even remotely true, you think anyone in Japan gives two shits about the xbone?

I don't know where you are going with this.

What I'm trying to say is this.......MS ain't worried about NUTTIN! Not about Sony, not about the Playstation 4, all the reversals......NUTTIN!!
They're feeling themselves right now. They're feeling real confident coming up to launch bro.

todd44890

Banned
Thank you Microsoft for listening to us. As a thank you, i have pre-ordered my Xbox One Day 1 edition and waiting for November 22nd. God bless.

This is cute. If it was a loud minority then why the pre orders did not reflect that? MS changed their anti consumer policies because very few people wanted to buy that anti consumer piece of shit prior to the policy shift. It was a clear majority, and MS´s policy change reflected that very clearly.

Not sure their preorders were so bad. Wasn't there some article that said they did more than the 360? Also notice you say they changed their policy. Exactly. Get over it.

They're fine no matter what. Again.. time to get over the hate. It's video games.

We're going to have to wait for the sales numbers. But it all seems very "did we tell you we're doing fine? Because you know we're doing fine right?" From MS at the moment.

Jomjom

Banned
Allow to disagree on this part fellow GAFFer simply because you can't judge an entire population based on one company. There are many people around every corner of the world, GAF is the fine example of a strong connected Community that welcomes everyone not based on country, race or religion so I don't think it's correct to say that. Again, just my humble opinion, you are free to disagree.

I'm from Europe, I'm not a Tier 1 country for MS and they have done many things wrong to be honest, I was expecting more care for the European consumer, however I can't judge everyone in one place just because they have a different way of approaching business. Sometime it's a matter of culture, even.

I actually don't disagree with you. I'm not saying every American is like this obviously. I'm just stating the culture is like this. Just like Japanese culture or Chinese culture is a certain way, but it doesn't mean every single Japanese or Chinese person is that way.

If you've ever worked for a company that deals with Asian companies, you know that people get training simply to learn how to deal with the Asian companies due to the very different business culture.

Liberty4all

Banned
Reading the actual interview might make you feel better.

I did read the article. It made me angry.

"Look, we remain true to our vision that we want to be wherever our consumers want us to be," Lewis began. "We think that digital consumption patterns will change and grow over time. We think that the [Xbox One cloud] gives you a level of sophistication, depth and breadth that people can only dream of. And overtime more people will embrace that.

Because after all we are too stupid to "get it" right now. The article isnt apologetic at all. If anything there is a "fucking stupid customers" tone to it.

I really needa start avoiding Xbox One threads on here and elsewhere, especially since I can already predict the type of comments.

You could share your opinion about the OP instead of basically thread whining. My goodness, this whole "An Xbox One thread, I knew what would happen, blah blah blah" is getting so old.

The only true way to tell if Microsoft and the Xbox One are in an enviable position is to wait and see the sales numbers after launch. If they outsell the PS4, they were right. If they get outsold by the PS4, then they were wrong. I really dont see what is enviable about getting beat in console sales numbers if that actually happens.

hwy_61

Banned
I actually don't disagree with you. I'm not saying every American is like this obviously. I'm just stating the culture is like this. Just like Japanese culture or Chinese culture is a certain way, but it doesn't mean every single Japanese or Chinese person is that way.

That's where you're wrong, partner. There is no such thing as "American Culture". We're all so damn different. So stop pigeon holing us, goddamn it.

Red Mage

Microsoft said:
We've always been very committed to consumer choice.

I know it's PR, but come on, don't insult my intelligence here.

I understand that the general consensus is that Microsoft can do no good going into this upcoming generation, but, really, they've done everything you would want a corporation to do when faced with consumer backlash. They've listened, they've made changes, and they're ensuring to communicate that this is how they are going to operate moving forward.

So, what would MicroSoft have to do, beyond what they're doing now, to appease gamers?

Quite honestly? Nothing at the moment. I am not interested in the XBoxOne because the crap they tried to force on us is still there physically, and only shut off via software. I may pick up one in the future when they release a SKU with some of those components physically removed, but I don't trust them at this point. It'd be far to easy for them to start reintroducing all of this nonsense in a year or two.

Don't get me wrong: I'm neither pro- nor anti- any brand. I used to be a Nintendo-Can-Do-No-Wrong type of guy, but the N64 cured me of that. I'm also not an early adopter, the PS2 cured me of that. I am just a guy that likes to play games, and I generally go where the games I want are at. If someone has enough games on a system, I'll pick it up as time and money allows.

That being said, I view the XB1 as Microsoft's attempt to screw me; both with used games and required online (and for someone who lives out in a very rural area, that is a screw-job). Until I can be sure they won't try the same crap again, I'm not interested in this particular product. I hold no grudges against MS as a whole, and I don't want the X-Box Brand to fail. To be quite honest, I'm not sure that would send the right message. Sure, other companies could see it as MS failing because of those stupid policies, but they're just as likely to take away the lesson to never do a 180.

So the situation is this: Do I hate MS? No. Do I trust them? No. Time for them to rebuild trust, and they can start doing that by not attempting a snowjob.

eh, not really since the majority of Americans have internet that was good enough for the Xbox One's daily check ins and don't live in the woods/in a submarine underwater. The most anti consumer thing they did was try to block used games, even though they had the family sharing plan (which was confirmed to not be a 30 min demo or w/e the internet was saying at first)

The majority that lives on the coasts? Sure, they do. Everyone else? No, not necessarily. Besides, there are other countries besides America.

Skeff

lol enviable for Nintendo console division maybe, but certainly not enviable for Sony console division.

I can't see an "enviable" situation when you have to patch out the DRM you made over the course of years, on day one. (and before the whole that patch isn't for DRM, yes it is, Nelson confirmed here:

When do we get to start asking questions?

Dibs on "How easy was it to flip the switch to turn off the DRM for Xbox One?"

Don't know until Nov. 22...since it will be done then.

They are most certainly not in an enviable situation, and it feels insulting for them to continue on with this. Every time they do one of these interviews I get even further from buying and I'm already really far away from buying one.

For them to win me over as a consumer they would have to apologize for the DRM, say they understand why so many people were against it, Make the kinect optional, or at least free (they are charging a huge premium for this, the XB1 should retail cheaper than PS4 at maybe $349) and make more 360 game, I know it sounds crazy, but I want to know a product I buy will be supported, look at PS3, Gran turismo,Puppeteer and Beyond still to be released (well released like today for puppeteer) and great games like TLoU this year. They also are so vague when they talk about these "great experiences" I have no idea what their taling about and I'm not dropping the cash on a new console on a vague promise, In direct comparison with PS4, they have shown Remote Play as a "great experience" Microsoft have only shown snapping fantasy football next to watching football, which i'd rather do on my phone/tablet and get full screen sports. They need to show these "great experiences" and they need to be great.

tl:dr
Stop this crap and:
Apologize
Show long term support for 360
ditch kinect or give it away free by dropping price to $349
Show us some of these "great experiences"

What that MS are outselling Sony in the US and UK? Are you serious?

When talking about mind-share current sales figures are a lot more important that minimal pre-order figures from the middle of June. XB1 is sold out of pre-orders, end of story.

You have ZERO proof. Nonsense for anyone to say at this stage they know how many preorders either consoles have.

First off stop saying MS, you are then implying Xbone as well is outselling the PS4 which by your own admission we have no proof of.

Secondly I agree that both systems will sell out. No question, however, the Xbone is launching in less territories and by all accounts has taken less preorders, I have even been told by retailers they have been allocated less stock for the Xbone (call that anecdotal if you want), yet there is no supply issue.

Like I said before it doesn't add up, and it makes it seem like they are hiding something. It would be hilarious if they Xbone is outsold by the PS4 by a healthy margin despite both being sold out considering the PS4 is launching in more territories and MS has gone out of their way to convince people there is no supply issue. That's where my problem lies. Perhaps we will never know that until mid December of this year, but as of right now that is the picture being painted.

Ebomb

Banned
Reading terms like arrogance and trust and attaching them to publically owned multi-billion dollar multinational companies is absurd.

"Company A is arrogant because they plan to sell a product I dont like or under terms I dont like, even though Company B offers a competing product that I do like."

Its much easier to state, and frankly more believable, I like Product B better for my use case.

I dont see anything wrong with this interview. The people most upset about the arrogance of MS and that have trust issue should just buy a pc or a ps4 and move on with their lives. Every product isnt designed for every consumer.

Rembrandt

Banned

eh, not really since the majority of Americans have internet that was good enough for the Xbox One's daily check ins and don't live in the woods/in a submarine underwater. The most anti consumer thing they did was try to block used games, even though they had the family sharing plan (which was confirmed to not be a 30 min demo or w/e the internet was saying at first)

Finalizer

Wasn't there some article that said they did more than the 360?

Came out well after they started doing their 180s. The 180s were started because people responded to the anti-consumer policies by not pre-ordering the Xbone. Stop trying to paint the outcry as a vocal minority.

Not sure their preorders were so bad. Wasn't there some article that said they did more than the 360? Also notice you say they changed their policy. Exactly. Get over it.

They're fine no matter what. Again.. time to get over the hate. It's video games.

The preorders were bad. The PS4 was outpacing it in great numbers. If they were fine, MS would not have changed its policies. Yeah it´s video games, but as a gamer i don´t want to bend over for corporations to fuck me. And since it´s only "video games" as you say, you seem way too invested in this.

Holy fuck that article is infuriating.

It's like "yeah we basically ignored you guys for a few years. But shit man why don't you want to give us 500 dollars now? And for fuck's sake we listened to your whines and we took back our awesome DRM policies, why are you still complaining bitches?"

I think Microsoft's attitude is largely mimicked by the American media outlets. I just listened to Giant Bomb and Weekend Confirmed podcasts where the hosts loudly complained that Micosoft was "giving in" to whiny consumers with their recent policy changes. Completely and totally blind to the fact that they're doing these things so they don't get their ass kicked at retail.

Microsoft's knows the pre-orders numbers. None of us really do. Microsoft is acting scared. That should tell us all we need to know about the pre-order numbers.

Barzul

I don't see anything wrong with the interview, doesn't sound inflammatory at all. I think people are seeing negative things because they want to. He's the European VP for MS, of course he's meant to spout PR.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
You could share your opinion about the OP instead of basically thread whining. My goodness, this whole "An Xbox One thread, I knew what would happen, blah blah blah" is getting so old.

The only true way to tell if Microsoft and the Xbox One are in an enviable position is to wait and see the sales numbers after launch. If they outsell the PS4, they were right. If they get outsold by the PS4, then they were wrong. I really dont see what is enviable about getting beat in console sales numbers if that actually happens.

They are the only console maker who's latest console is more successful than their last one. They dominate in the worlds largest home console market. They are in an enviable position whether some people like it or not.

Top Bottom