• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's answer to the Wiimote

C4Lukins

I was imagining something like a star trek phaser would work well as a pointing device. This is sort of similar. It does not look like it would be great for motion controls, but the pointing functionality is the only thing I really care about.

Something like this with an analog stick.

2421581087_0627ea8d8c_o.jpg

Tobor

drohne said:
microsoft sets out to clone a controller whose only merit is its approachability. they produce xtreme space knuckles. this may tell us something about microsoft.

I agree with drohne. Time to go buy a lottery ticket.

dfyb

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
The wii menu cursor's sensitivity is turned down very low, hence the lag. Play a game like Trauma Center or RE4 and you'll see that it's so sensitive that it'll pick up even the slightest of hand shakiness. The Wiimote's lag is so low that it cannot be noticed (Assuming that lag is not purposely added by turning the sensitivity down)
i know this is an older post, but house of the dead just came in so i was able to test with another game. house of the dead has the same lag that the wii menus have in my video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pRkz2W31GNg (repost of wii menu video)

you may not notice it, but it's definitely there and it's easy for me to notice -- again, probably because i've been PC gaming for years and have experience with a variety of hardware and software issues that can cause small delay.

swerve

dfyb said:
i know this is an older post, but house of the dead just came in so i was able to test with another game. house of the dead has the same lag that the wii menus have in my video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pRkz2W31GNg (repost of wii menu video)

you may not notice it, but it's definitely there and it's easy for me to notice -- again, probably because i've been PC gaming for years and have experience with a variety of hardware and software issues that can cause small delay.

The Wii Remote IR can sample at 200Hz, which is significantly faster than your TV refresh rate. That said, all manner of things create lag. If you've got an upscaler, that'll worsen it. If you're playing a game where the developer decided that a smooth cursor was better than a quick one, then you'll see it.

Zelda is by far the worst offender, closely followed by RE:Umbrella Chronicles, both with a lag significantly worse than the Wii Menu's (mild) lag. Mario Galaxy's lag is nigh-on non-existent and I'm sure that even your PC trained eyes wouldn't notice it on a CRT. Trauma Center is better yet.

I'm the kind of guy who sometimes sits there just testing the lag for fun, and whilst you're absolutely right that there is often lag, there's no inherent hardware-related reason for it, just design (and perhaps the abilities and priorities of the coders).

dfyb

Banned
swerve said:
The Wii Remote IR can sample at 200Hz, which is significantly faster than your TV refresh rate. That said, all manner of things create lag. If you've got an upscaler, that'll worsen it. If you're playing a game where the developer decided that a smooth cursor was better than a quick one, then you'll see it.

Zelda is by far the worst offender, closely followed by RE:Umbrella Chronicles, both with a lag significantly worse than the Wii Menu's (mild) lag. Mario Galaxy's lag is nigh-on non-existent and I'm sure that even your PC trained eyes wouldn't notice it on a CRT. Trauma Center is better yet.

I'm the kind of guy who sometimes sits there just testing the lag for fun, and whilst you're absolutely right that there is often lag, there's no inherent hardware-related reason for it, just design (and perhaps the abilities and priorities of the coders).
fine. i'll hook up mario galaxy to my old CRT SDTV and shoot video of it later. i expect there to be similar lag. i know i noticed it on my HDTV. does it matter if it's 1p or 2p cursor? i want to finish this.

KTallguy said:
Looks like a nosehair trimmer.

And I doubt anyone will want to buy another peripheral for their 360.

If it's utilized well and priced right I would totally buy it. Unfortunately this is Microsoft so it's probably going to cost 100 dollars

dfyb said:
fine. i'll hook up mario galaxy to my old CRT SDTV and shoot video of it later. i expect there to be similar lag. i know i noticed it on my HDTV. does it matter if it's 1p or 2p cursor? i want to finish this.

I promise you, there is no inherant lag to the Wii pointer. I can produce videos of my own if you like: I have a CRT HDTV and an LCD HDTV both, and both function identically. The lag is deliberately introduced into many games, which is frustrating, but it is a choice of the developer to keep the cursor from shaking. The same is true of the tilt.

I'm just like you: I sense the tiniest lag, and I hate it. I actually find it more frustrating that it's deliberately being added. If it was a hardware limitation, and wasn't too bad, I could forgive it. Having it put in on purpose because they think it helps the controls is insulting and stupid. Link's Crossbow Training is ridiculous; the game is much more difficult with the lag. Ironically, I can actually shoot targets before the cursor reaches them because the lag is so bad.

By the way, the easiest way to see lag-free pointer use is to go into the Wii menu and adjust your sensitivity: the screen will show any IR source that the Wii remote can sense. I don't think there's any lag added to that function, there'd be little reason to do so.

Dante

That looks really uncomforatable. Try and position your thumb over the top portion of your hand where those buttons are, i can see severe cramping happening. The buttons should be on the handle for better comfort.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Teamxbox are way off the mark, the whole point of that patent is that it's small enough to allow the user to keep using a keyboard without taking it off, it says so IN THE PATENT APPLICATION.

It's cool looking and all, but it's not MS' wiimote.

That looks really uncomforatable. Try and position your thumb over the top portion of your hand where those buttons are, i can see severe cramping happening.

That's because it's a mouse, the left & right buttons are in the middle, you use it with your fist clenched, the buttons on top are ancillary.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Bluemercury said:
Wiimote now officially cool by hardcore gamers....:lol

yeah ms never gets shit from hardcore gamers (RROD, XBLpAy, bald space marines, etc.). only the wii is persecuted.

Top Bottom