• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's next generation in Japan

1. Buy Capcom
2. Buy Square Enix
3. Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy exclusive
4. ????
5. Profit

if that fails, buy Nintendo

The best thing would be to brand it under a different name. If it wasn't called an Xbox and didn't have a microsoft logo attached to it japanese would flock to it.

360 was getting the best japanese exclusives for 2/3rds of this gen afterall.

El Sloth

Banned
I've gotta wonder how the Japanese gamers who actually do own an Xbox and like the games on it are feeling about next gen.

Terrell

Well, the wheels have reversed. MS no longer needs to do anything, since Japanese developers have been adopting the mentality of making games for a global audience (we all know what that means).

So, why even care? Don't waste anymore effort there than you would in other countries.

No, see, this is the reason Japan's gaming industry is dying... console games are not being made for a "global" audience, they're being made for the West. Handhelds are exempt from this because of the differences in how the handheld market evolved this generation.

Let's think about this... Xbox 360 becomes the dominant Western platform, and Sony, in an effort to maintain relevance with their high price tag, follows Microsoft's lead and gears their 1st-party catalog almost EXCLUSIVELY on the West, as well. And it shows. The only reprieve from that is the Wii, which was simply not an option for some developers, as they had already banked on PS3 being a PS2 repeat.

This is the reason, for example, that Dragon Quest IX was on DS: Square Enix and Yuji Horii were forced to ride out the first Dragon Quest this gen on DS because they were sort of hoping for the winds to change and to have their clear "PS2" of the generation. That never happened, so they decided they'd HAVE to make it for the Wii, the closest corollary to it.

If next gen repeats itself, with Nintendo being the only company not tailoring their ENTIRE catalog to a specific market, but being the first to launch with something close to on-par graphically, I think you'll see something very interesting play out. The first to release, while not the most successful every time, tends to be the console that sets the tone for the whole generation. Xbox 360 certainly did, for better or worse.

Mlatador

Banned
They should not even try anymore... Maybe if Sony and Nintendo miraculously disappeared, they would have a chance... but with both of them still THERE... nooo way...

Did the Xbox360 even beat the PS2 this gen?

Bah. I was going to make this thread and kept forgetting.

I wonder though if they will consider it just to appease Japanese 3rd parties. They may not take too kindly to MS "snubbing" Japan.

SYNTAX182

It could work. All they really need to do is change the name of the console in Japan only. It will still be the same internally but never mention that it is made by Microsoft. Ever. Success.

It will never work. The Japanese don't buy the Xbox 360 because they are racist and refuse to purchase foreign products. Why bother with the 3rd Xbox?

Just release it over there and treat it like a lower region, like croatia or mexico. Put the console on shelves, but dont throw the money at it like was done at the start of this gen.

Japanese publishers will still come to Xbox for a slice of the Western pie, with just a few less westernised titles that will probably get lost in the shuffle...even then next gen catherines or dark souls will still be on xbox I bet.

It's honestly not worth it. MS splurged on all those exclusives with little reward. The Japanese home console market is not one that time should be wasted on. Yeah, it'd be nice to increase sales there but its not worth the investment. Focus on the rapidly growing European markets. The Xbox brand is becoming as robust in the UK as in the US.

Microsoft tried hard as hell and the Japanese market didn't respond. I don't see why they should continue to sink money into this lost cause.

Camilos

Banned
Just release it over there and treat it like a lower region, like croatia or mexico. Put the console on shelves, but dont throw the money at it like was done at the start of this gen.

I agree, that is exactly what they should do. But I also think they should throw just little bit of money on a game called Lost Odyssey 2.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think the easy answer to rush into is "screw the Japanese market". We can all paint a picture of how they are irrevliant now, won't buy the console in the home market, etc.

But Xbox 360 did NOT become a ubiquitous console through bro-shooters and western games alone. It was gently pushed by exclusive 360 titles from Mistwalker, Team Ninja, Cave etc.... and it was greatly solidified by the multiplatform support from Capcom, Konami, Square Enix, Namco, Sega, etc.

Without some sort of specific focus on Japanese support, it will never capture the total breadth of the market. Without the total breadth of the market, it will not be as ubiquitous as the 360 was.

It would be a mistake to double down on the likes of Activision, Epic, Bioware, Irrational Games, EA, etc and assume that's enough. There are entire demographics of gamers who will be just fine with a PS4 or Wii U if you don't give them some sort of exclusive Japanese content... that's my opinion.

RedSwirl

Here's the problem: Microsoft still probably needs Japanese publishers to support their hardware. Would they really support MS hardware only for overseas versions of games?

brettreyu

I think the easy answer to rush into is "screw the Japanese market". We can all paint a picture of how they are irrevliant now, won't buy the console in the home market, etc.

But Xbox 360 did NOT become a ubiquitous console through bro-shooters and western games alone. It was gently pushed by exclusive 360 titles from Mistwalker, Team Ninja, Cave etc.... and it was greatly solidified by the multiplatform support from Capcom, Konami, Square Enix, Namco, Sega, etc.

Without some sort of specific focus on Japanese support, it will never capture the total breadth of the market. Without the total breadth of the market, it will not be as ubiquitous as the 360 was.

It would be a mistake to double down on the likes of Activision, Epic, Bioware, Irrational Games, EA, etc and assume that's enough. There are entire demographics of gamers who will be just fine with a PS4 or Wii U if you don't give them some sort of exclusive Japanese content... that's my opinion.

Great points, especially about trying to match and improve on the ubiquity of the 360.

I'd really like to know what the hell happened with them this generation. Perhaps I'm just more uninformed than most on the subject, but I've never read much in terms of actual reasons for the 360's failure in Japan beyond vague assertions that the console was too large and power hungry for the average Japanese home (assertions that would also apply to the PS3 of course) and anti-western bias from the Japanese public. Is it really true that such bias not only exists in the general culture in Japan, but is even capable of foiling efforts on the scale of Microsoft's? Like I said, maybe I'm just uninformed, but I can't come to grips with that idea.

Hiltz

I remember reading reports years ago of how Xbox Japan didn't even know how to go about marketing the console and that many consumers didn't even know it existed.

I'd really like to know what the hell happened with them this generation. Perhaps I'm just more uninformed than most on the subject, but I've never read much in terms of actual reasons for the 360's failure in Japan beyond vague assertions that the console was too large and power hungry for the average Japanese home (assertions that would also apply to the PS3 of course) and anti-western bias from the Japanese public. Is it really true that such bias not only exists in the general culture in Japan, but is even capable of foiling efforts on the scale of Microsoft's? Like I said, maybe I'm just uninformed, but I can't come to grips with that idea.

I'd like to think the anti-western bias has been debunked with the massive success of Apple products over there. Though the gaming industry might be a bit different with the whole "yo ge kuso ge" thing (though that sentiment is also on the decline).

It seems to come down to advertising more than anything else.

Iknos

Talked about this with my buddies just 2 weeks ago lol

Makes more sense to invest in countries like India where gaming is growing and not Japan where gaming is dying.

30 million consoles sold in Japan for the last generation for all consoles combined and there's been 30 million Xboxes sold in North America alone. Add the Wii and the PS3 and you can see where the interest is.

Japan is just too tiny of a market.

Indians know english for the most part and are open to anything popular in the States including FPS games. Piracy is the biggest issue there.

Makes more sense to invest in countries like India where gaming is growing and not Japan where gaming is dying.

30 million consoles sold in Japan for the last generation for all consoles combined and there's been 30 million Xboxes sold in North America alone. Add the Wii and the PS3 and you can see where the interest is.

Indians know english for the most part and are open to anything popular in the States including FPS games. Piracy is the biggest issue there.

Problem comparing Japan and the States is that the US population is now over twice that of Japan and has a much older (and aging) population.

They will release in Japan just so it doesn't seem like they're totally abandoning the Japanese devs but I doubt they'll make a serious push like they attempted with the 360.

Raide

I have this crazy idea! How about they do both?

RedSwirl

One place where Microsoft should definitely invest more next generation though is Europe. That's one area where they could be doing better but Sony is outdoing them.

The Xbox 360 was pretty much only dominant in North America and the UK, and I imagine they could at least work on Western, Central, and Southern Europe, if not also Eastern Europe. It'll probably take a long time for them to get Germany, Poland, Ukraine, and Russian which from my understanding are all still PC countries, but they should try. Is it true that XBL isn't nearly as good outside of the US and UK as it is in those countries?

El Sloth

Banned
Sort of off-topic, but has there ever been something like, I don't know, an interview or anything with Japanese fans of the 360? Specifically what they're thoughts on the popular western games like Halo and Gears of War are and they're thoughts on western game design versus Japanese game deign.

I hope this question isn't weird, but I'm just curious since I'm constantly reading the western opinions of the latter on here and was wondering what the discussions on the other side of the pond look like. Specifically with those who enjoy a platform where western games dominate.

I have this crazy idea! How about they do both?
You're off your rocker! We don't need the likes of you here!

Here's the problem: Microsoft still probably needs Japanese publishers to support their hardware. Would they really support MS hardware only for overseas versions of games?

The big ones for sure. There's a reason Japanese publishers are buying up western studios/giving their franchises to western studios and it aint to make niche japanese games for japan.

These companies work in smaller territories all the time. The difference with MS and Japan, is that Japan actually buys a lot of games, MS just doesn't know how to make them buy theirs. Microsoft should make the next system available in Japan, they just should try to buy their way to success again. It's not working for them.

Raide

Japan is moving away from consoles anyway.

I doubt they will bother next gen.

Well, Japan is hand-held focused for sure, so MS has to do something that links their 720/Windows 8 gaming stuff with a mobile device. If they want to spend the money, they could make the links but the difficulty is that in Japan, these devices are constantly changing. They would have to link to SoftBank or Docomo in order to stand a chance, and that would cost a huge amount.

If MS can get XBLA titles etc working on a variety of SoftBank/Docomo devices, then they might stand a chance. People would still buy the home console if they knew it linked to their handheld in a meaningful way. That also means more than just games, they have to do the music, media and everything else too.

The main problem with that is the main games people are playing, tend to be 3DS or PSP based, so if MS just aims at some smartphone, they will lack the control method of the other 2. I doubt gamers will buy a new Monster Hunter game if its all touchscreen.

The big ones for sure. There's a reason Japanese publishers are buying up western studios/giving their franchises to western studios and it aint to make niche japanese games for japan.
Depending on how well Wii U and PS Vita do, I could see that having a knock down effect with some publishers dropping 360/Loop SKUs. Like Koei with their Warriors games, which they already gave up publishing in Japan.

Well I could bet they will try it again. I think they will get some more exclusivities, at least for launch and its first two years.

Though many people want to ignore, MS did an excellent job there however it wasn't enough to give a better impression. Sure, they could have done better but they've tried hard getting exclusivities since day one until today, and I bet they will keep trying nextgen.

As someone pointed out, MS already got enough interest of japanese developers as Capcom, Square Enix, Namco-Bandai, Cave, 5pb, etc.. to develop for his platform, moneyhatted or not (lets not start with the moneyhatting discussion), when the original XBOX barely had japanese support, and they got thanks to the global sales of 360.

Sales wise 360 did way better than the original XBOX so they shoul leep supporting their customers.

Are the bad 360 sales in Japan because they don't buy foreign products or what?

Maybe MS should go together with a japanese company to release the next Xbox in Japan, maybe boxed differently, but with the same hardware inside.

Make Monster Hunter exclusive. They can afford it.

They did: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Hunter_Frontier

MS still has Cave and has[had] im@s, though. But im@s 2 is now on the PS3 and Cave is making a Vita game so maybe next gen will be different.

I wonder what the highest selling 360 games in Japan are.

Cave games sell 15K tops.

One place where Microsoft should definitely invest more next generation though is Europe. That's one area where they could be doing better but Sony is outdoing them.

Is it true that XBL isn't nearly as good outside of the US and UK as it is in those countries?

1. I like to think Sony's domination in Europe has to do with our superior taste in games. ;P Probably not.

2. In general, majority of services suck outside US/UK/Western Europe, I'm sure the same happens with PS3. However, in E.Europe at least Sony is an official distributor, some games are localized, etc. Microsoft couldn't even bother with XBL for Poland until November 2010. Which is the reason PS3 sells better in Poland, despite the fact it's super easy to pirate 360 here.

mujun

1. Only release Western stuff with minimal translation.

2. Use Japanese devs but only for games intended for the West.

3. Skimp on marketing.

4. Put the extra cash towards trouncing Sony in the States and trying to compete against Sony and Ninty in Europe.

Top Bottom