• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty no 9 (Inafundme's magnum opus)

SkylineRKR

You know the story, Megaman was dormant at Capcom and Inafune stepped in and said he could make a Megaman of his own. He used his pedigree and the fans clamoring for a new title to launch a kickstarter that went on to be a massive success. The early concept art looked amazing as well. But then things got sour, delays, more and more systems being supported and gameplay footage that looked like shit. This in turn pissed off many backers and the end result was slammed. Inafune was in turn being branded Con Man, inafundme or just a hack. I think he lost pretty much all credibility, especially since he's being held accountable for steering Capcom in the ground by westernizing them.

I always dismissed this game after the kickstarter drama. The game didn't look remotely as good as promised and some versions were outright canceled, or actually, they simply went silent about them.

Its leaving PS Plus soon which got my attention. I have it but I never played it, so I decided to give this a whirl. Is it that bad or is it being cultivated by the KS problems and lies? I'd say both.

I beat the 8 robots and I have to do one of the 2 final stages yet. Its a very uneven game with many issues, but at some sparse moments I actually enjoy it as well. I think for example, the Power Plant (bar the stupid crouch dash part) and the Aviator stage were pretty good. I liked playing those. The mines was annoying with many OHKO's, and the Capitol level was kind of unique I guess as you need to actually hunt for the boss.

The mechanics are uneven as well. You have the basic shot, but no charged shot IIRC. Instead, you dash into stunned enemies and depending on color you get a temp boost. One of them, the Red I think, buffs your basic shot and pierces. This is kind of okay but also a problem, because many times enemies are in a row and the game expect you to have the pierce, otherwise its an exercise of frustration as you stun the first one who cockblocks the rest and dashing into him will ofcourse mean the other will damage you. The game is about dash too much, you need to for nearly every jump in the game, but also for every single enemy in the game if you want to delete them fast. Its the only way to gain buffs, and to fill your energy tank which can be clutch against the bosses.

The bosses, again uneven. Some are fine, some are frustration, and on some using the correct weapon is useless. For example countershade, he was much easier once I dropped the elec weapon and just dashed to him and behind him with normal fire each time. Pyro is actually harder with the correct weapon, though you can deal massive damage with it on him. Brandish was harder at first but you actually need to hop on his head etc, its never really explained how this weapon works. Most of the weapons are useless, bar the cryo, remote bomb and sometimes the sword. There is one thing I like and its how defeated bosses help you on a different stage.

This game does nothing out of the ordinary, the presentation is mediocre, the music is mediocre, the gameplay and hitboxes aren't perfect, the dash mechanic is uneven, but I think its being rated a little bit too harsh. What I played is also not offensively bad, but if I would've sunk cash into this i'd probably be more pissed off as well. And to add insult to injury, Capcom would eventually release the much better Megaman 11.

So basically a recap of everything that went wrong with it.

Inafune turned a bit into Peter Molyneux of Japan. These things that went wrong with early kickstarter campaigns were useful highlight those behaviours.

Also, I feel that in a way, Kickstarter back then was a lot like NFT's two years ago, albeit not the same, obviously. But tapping into the same easy money mantra.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I admit it, I supported the project because I was a fan of megaman.

But they tricked me because I wanted my name to appear and they didn't put it.

I felt cheated. And by the way, I got to know Inafune personally in Mexico City and he is a liar, a usurper and a thief....

A disappointment that being a Japanese has those habits.

Otherwise, with Keiichiro Toyama, creator of Silent Hill and Gravity Rush, who is a good person who listens to you and even congratulates me on my birthday.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I played it a bit on PC. The Gunvolt elements aren’t my cup of tea, but most of all, the game is terribly uneven with very cheap OHKOs and interminable boss fights. I didn’t bother to finish it.

Played it. Its not as "horrible" as the reputation it gets. Yes, there are some questionable technical issues in places which should've been ironed out prior to release.

But, otherwise, it was actually kind of decent if you're a Megaman fan. I wasn't a kickstarter supporter, so I wasn't invested into the fallout surrounding it.

Last edited:

El Muerto

I dontated to the kickstarter and was so excited since i loved the Megaman series since the NES days. I played it and was absolutely gutted. The game was just garbage.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
I got to know Inafune personally in Mexico City and he is a liar, a usurper and a thief....
Thief GIF

Didn't he also try to get another project funded through KS or with the same KS money from MN9, while MN9 was still in development?! Red something....?

SkylineRKR

I am at the final boss. I failed a few times but I try to beat her later. Pretty shitty boss. But hey, this game is mediocre all over.

The Call level was terrible. Suddenly you have to find keycards and she can't dash into enemies. No idea how you can finish them off quickly, I just grabbed cards and moved on. The boss there takes way too long, wait until it devours a camera or a bomb. Yawn.

Didn't he also try to get another project funded through KS or with the same KS money from MN9, while MN9 was still in development?! Red something....?

Yes. Red Ash.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Yeah, a Mega Man Legends-like game called Red Ash. But he showed up with absolutely nothing, like a prototype that looked like it took a day and a lot of promises, even as Mno9 was getting delayed, so it didn't go over well.

UnNamed

Banned
He produced this games, and while the game far from finished, he thought it was a good idea to use the money to produce an anime based on the game, and another anime unrelated with the game.

A perfect path to failure.

And always remember:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I don't really get why people call this a con. It isn't like he didn't make the game, it just wasn't as good as people hoped.

Inafune has certainly overrated, not as responsible for Mega Man's success as he pretends, and didn't deserve the level of trust people put in him, but none of it rises to the level of outright fraud or deception.

SkylineRKR

I beat the game, I was looking for Kamiya was right, but I couldn't find. Its backer 5040 I saw on the net just now.

And yes at least Kamiya made a game, he did come through and to be honest its better than Shenmue. Mighty no 9 isn't great but I had a decent time overall. Its 1,99 now if you haven't claimed it earlier.

Its not a terrible game. All the rage mostly comes from the KS antics, failed promises and fake ass concept screenshots. Robots helping you out if you do the correct stage order is something I'd like to see in MM as well. Boss Rush is a decent mode if the boss fights weren't so dull. MN9 is a 6.5/10 or something.

Last edited:
I admit it, I supported the project because I was a fan of megaman.

But they tricked me because I wanted my name to appear and they didn't put it.

I felt cheated. And by the way, I got to know Inafune personally in Mexico City and he is a liar, a usurper and a thief....

A disappointment that being a Japanese has those habits.

Otherwise, with Keiichiro Toyama, creator of Silent Hill and Gravity Rush, who is a good person who listens to you and even congratulates me on my birthday.
Would you be willing to go into more detail about your experience? I'm quite curious, as those are strong words

Heimdall_Xtreme

Would you be willing to go into more detail about your experience? I'm quite curious, as those are strong words

Yes friend.

I went to an event with a special person for an autograph signing.

But Inafune was going to cancel the event because "he had an accident in the hand" which was totally false... And he only signed an article, he wanted more autographs, you had to buy an expensive item at the store or pay him money... Also, that day it rained a lot and they were not to put something against the rain which bothered me a lot.

I have his autograph from the collector's edition of Dead Rising 2 .

But it is the fact that scam and he is a liar.

I forgot to mention, aside... He arrive to the event 1 hour late.

Last edited:
I am at the final boss. I failed a few times but I try to beat her later. Pretty shitty boss. But hey, this game is mediocre all over.

The Call level was terrible. Suddenly you have to find keycards and she can't dash into enemies. No idea how you can finish them off quickly, I just grabbed cards and moved on. The boss there takes way too long, wait until it devours a camera or a bomb. Yawn.

Yes. Red Ash.
Yeah, a Mega Man Legends-like game called Red Ash. But he showed up with absolutely nothing, like a prototype that looked like it took a day and a lot of promises, even as Mno9 was getting delayed, so it didn't go over well.

Yes thats it! What a shit show.

peronmls

People say he’s a hack but he really wanted to bring back MegaMan Legends which is the most charming MegaMan game out there and the least liked by fans I think. It’s almost comparable to Kingdom Hearts 1 with the charm and wit it has with its characters. After MegaMan Legends being canceled he probably did what he could to salvage a company. It’s very sad what has happened. MegaMan will never be rescued off the moon. RIP MegaMan Volnutt.

Heimdall_Xtreme

2F4F9D8E36CE66D85AB516BEAE38351187571D9F

MN9 was the worst thing he couldve done. A game so mediocre, its not even fun bad.

It didn't even fulfill the promise of the Nintendo 3DS or Playstation Vita version.... It ripped off the users of those platforms. Not even development or cancellation announcement.

People say he’s a hack but he really wanted to bring back MegaMan Legends which is the most charming MegaMan game out there and the least liked by fans I think. It’s almost comparable to Kingdom Hearts 1 with the charm and wit it has with its characters. After MegaMan Legends being canceled he probably did what he could to salvage a company. It’s very sad what has happened. MegaMan will never be rescued off the moon. RIP MegaMan Volnutt.

giphy.gif

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
He fucked the good will of the fans in such a way that he's fucked himself. I was so disappointed in MN9... Mega Man 11 ended up doing what fucking Mighty No. 9 was supposed to do... fill the void that Capcom left behind. Those MFers at Capcom are on fire, rn.

Generic

The dashing mechanic is great when you realize the game was designed around scoring. The real fun isn't finishing the levels once, it's replaying them (on increasing difficulty levels) to get a S Rank and beat your personal hi-scores. Since you need to dash on multiple enemies without touching the ground to chain combos, and speedrunning the bosses is very challenging (the correct weapon usually takes the most skill to use), getting hi-scores is pretty tricky.

The game has also one of the most challenging boss-rush modes ever.

Top Bottom