• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Pence (Indiana Governor) signs Religous Freedom Bill into Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned
http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/25/politics/mike-pence-religious-freedom-bill-gay-rights/index.html

Washington (CNN)Indiana Gov. Mike Pence signed into law on Thursday a measure that allows businesses to turn away gay and lesbian customers in the name of "religious freedom."

The bill has sparked an uproar among gamers and church groups that hold their conventions in Indianapolis and businesses that are threatening to pull out of the city.

Even the NCAA -- which is less than two weeks from hosting its men's basketball Final Four in Indianapolis -- was critical, saying the organization is "committed to an inclusive environment where all individuals enjoy equal access to events" as it hinted the bill could damage the city's reputation as a host of major sporting events.

Jason Collins, who last year became the first openly gay active NBA player, asked Pence in a tweet whether it is "going to be legal for someone to discriminate against me & others when we come" to the Final Four in two weeks.

Still, Pence signed it in a private ceremony in his office Thursday. In a statement explaining his decision, he pointed to President Barack Obama's health care law -- which triggered a lawsuit by Hobby Lobby to ensure the company wasn't required to cover birth control through its employees' health insurance plans.

"The Constitution of the United States and the Indiana Constitution both provide strong recognition of the freedom of religion but today, many people of faith feel their religious liberty is under attack by government action," Pence said.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It's really infuriating how this fucking myth that "religious freedom" means "the freedom for christians to do whatever the fuck they want and not tolerate anything they dislike" is continuing to not only be humored, but strengthened.

That's not what freedom of religion is. It never was. This shit needs to stop.

Derwind

Like I said before in the last thread covering this bill...

Slippery fucking slope.

There should be no justification to discriminate protected classes.

You should not operate in the public sphere if your beliefs force you to discrininate against others.

weird how fiscal conservatives support awful and clearly unconstitutional laws that will lead to millions of dollars in legal fees.

no wait it's not weird appealing to bigotry is how these idiots keep getting reelected. the cost never matters.

I think we should wait until the law gets abused before we express outrage.
ridiculous. the law is legalized bigotry and clearly illegal.

entremet

Indiana is strange politically. It's hard to figure out.

It went to Obama twice, I believe, but it has some very far right laws.

Armaros

Just saying maybe they wont slip on that slope.

Because the rest of the nation outside of Indiana has a dearth of religious freedom and we need a state law specifically defending it. /s

Coincidentally, right after all of these States are now losing the gay marriage battle in Federal Court.

Futureman

how hateful and stupid do you have to be to run a business and refuse to serve someone because of sexual orientation? Sick.

MJPIA

A lawsuit should slap this down hard because of the 14th amendment wouldn't it?

"Legislation that could allow for refusal of service or discrimination against our attendees will have a direct negative impact on the state's economy, and will factor into our decision-making on hosting the convention in the state of Indiana in future years," Adrian Swartout, the owner of Gen Con LLC, told Pence in a letter.

The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), which also holds a convention in Indianapolis, told Pence it could cancel its 2017 convention there, as well.

The chief executive of tech giant Salesforce told Pence that his company -- which had bought Indianapolis-based Exact Target for $2.5 billion in 2013 -- would abandon the state and its expansion plans there if he signed the measure into law.

And the Republican mayor of Indianapolis, Greg Ballard, broke with Pence on the bill, saying it would put his city's economy at risk.

"Indianapolis strives to be a welcoming place that attracts businesses, conventions, visitors and residents," Ballard said Wednesday in a statement. "We are a diverse city, and I want everyone who visits and lives in Indy to feel comfortable here."
In the meantime it seems like this is is gonna hurt their economy.

Mesoian

A lawsuit should slap this down hard because of the 14th amendment wouldn't it?

In the meantime it seems like this is is gonna hurt their economy.

Yup. GenCon said that, if this passed, they would not hold GenCon in Indiana anymore.

So that's something like 20 million dollars gone right there.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Honestly, if I was in Indiana and a service provider, I'd probably start doing stuff just to highlight how stupid the whole thing is.

Female driver? Sorry, I can't sell you petrol.

Want to come on my bus? Let me segregate you according to my religious caste system.

A gay parent? Sorry, can't let you buy those diapers.

Of course, in reality these things will only affect the small minorities, because that's where it becomes economically feasible to be an asshole and wield discrimination. At least, assuming the rest of the majority in your area feels similar. So, if there's a decent majority in Indiana, it needs to stand up against businesses economically that engage this law.

In my own country, the right has been asking for a religious conscience law like this in the wake of the likelihood of same sex marriage being passed in a couple of months. It's not up for debate according to the government, but I found it funny that the week previous, the exact same people were condemning Elton John & his mates for their D&G consumer boycott.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Guess the state is about to say goodbye to that sweet GenCon deal.

They won't even be the first domino to fall. The CEO of Salesforce.com, which bought Indy-based ExactTarget last year, has already announced that they are suspending business travel to Indy and reducing investment. As a resident, this is going to be unpleasant, but I want Indiana to get raked over the coals for this nonsense.

Yup. GenCon said that, if this passed, they would not hold GenCon in Indiana anymore.

$50MM a year.

ultron87

Can't believe shit like this happens in 2015. Insane.

Gen Con is under contract till 2020, so they can't bail immediately.

I had a dream last night that I was somewhere in Indiana.
It was a total hole; all of the buildings were boarded up and abandoned and there wasn't anybody for seemingly miles.

Then I see this news today.
Man what the fuck.

Maximus.

Pathetic people will hide behind their religion for their fucked up ideologies and decisions. How the fuck can a fair government allow bullshit like this.

entremet

Why did GOP Governors go so right? It's like they're taking cues from the idiots in Congress.

I remember when GOP Governors were more moderate. We've seen this with Kansas and their radical tax cuts, Wisconsin attacking public unions and education, refusing to expand Obamacare, and so on and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom