• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Military personnel on Xbox One; Microsoft responds

Boss Man

Well, that type of headline sure as hell is not good PR for the US market. Like, not at all.

You guys are right, Sony would do super well to send some PS4s off to the military. Early even, just to sort of make that statement and get people talking.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Next up...

Cliffy B: "US Military, get your shit together and get quality broadband everywhere FFS. It's 2013."

Darklord

Banned
I expect this to happen as well, Sony are really doing well with PR at the moment and I wouldn't be surprised at all if this happened.

I've been spot on at how their PR has gone so far(but really, it's just intelligent thinking unlike MS) and I reckon this is the next move.

America loooooves their military. You show a bunch of those men and women next to a PS4, baby you got a stew goin'.

Someone needs to make an generalized thread of everything Microsoft has fucked up on with the Xbox One, timeline and everything. It'll show people just how bad they've acting since the reveal.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It was a dig at Adam Orth's career ending tweets.

They should hire him back. His comments were representative of the company. Or fire Mattrick, instead. Have some consistency.

Dranakin

untitled-3gvb11.gif

Offline, small, lightweight, no large required accessories, no powerbrick.

Sony should just donate a ton to the military.

A concern for overseas service members, but I wonder if the average consumers know/care about the Xbox One powerbrick.

Dont the military have cellular phones? Im pretty sure they said the authentication can work with your cells internet.

Of course, but is there cell services there?

I was in port in Hong Kong and my phone (not in airplane mode) connected and downloaded updates. Want to know how much my bill was? Over $3000 USD!!!

Just saying

Eric C

Kinda unrelated, but does anyone have the actual quote when Microsoft said something along the lines of "Why would you live in countries where you can't play/afford Xbox?" I keep seeing that meme go around and I can't quite put it together.
I think that was an Adam Orth tweet a few months ago.

Game Guru

I imagine, internally, they're very split.

They want a device that is less aligned with the traditional Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo console dynamic and more in line with connected devices like tablets, AppleTV's, Roku's etc.

If successful, it could pay off huge for them and become incredibly profitable, even if they move fewer units than this generation.

Some theorize MS is expecting all next-gen platforms to sell fewer units than current gen, so they're taking Apple's old approach by only targeting developed nations and richer households, hoping that their overall potential profit-per-unit will be much higher than the 360.

It's a huge gamble, one that could only be done by a company with an astronomical marketing budget (Samsung, Apple etc).

This is about the only way I could see a console like the Xbox One coming about. Microsoft knows that the Xbox One is going to sell less, but they hope to make much more money off of their niche consumers. The thing is that the niche customers for a video game console are hardcore video game players and those people have a better option with the PS4. People who want a device like the AppleTV, Roku, or Tablets also have a better option with the iOS, Android, or Roku ecosystems.

FlyFaster

Someone needs to make an generalized thread of everything Microsoft has fucked up on with the Xbox One, timeline and everything. It'll show people just how bad they've acting since the reveal.

I fully support this. Would love to see as well as having it updated as they continue to trip over themselves... that submarine comment sure came back to bite him in the ass didn't it. lol. what a jerk.

conman

Some theorize MS is expecting all next-gen platforms to sell fewer units than current gen, so they're taking Apple's old approach by only targeting developed nations and richer households, hoping that their overall potential profit-per-unit will be much higher than the 360.
The important difference, though, is that Apple targeted the yuppies (young, urban, fashion-conscious, semi-tech savvy). MS is targeting their parents (50+, suburban, cable junkies, tech illiterate).

They are going to change a console to appease like 2% of an install base? Doubtful.

Isn't it like one third of 360's never are connected to internet? I'm pretty sure they're gonna lose far greater than 2% of xbox fans, and we're not even accounting for all the other crap on the system.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Who gives a shit?

Tell them to get a PS4, it's a pretty fucking simple solution.

But great PR for MS would be to create offline Xbones for the military personnel, all dat news!

I'm down for this constantly updated, collective MS fuck up thread. Wonder whether it'll survive on the forum though.

Baby Milo

i guess they need another product bombing to realize there not Apple

Apple would have atleast had the balls to go full digital

Time for Microsoft to completely pivot from the dudebro back to families.

And good luck showing videos of smiling children playing their Xbox together in front of the always watching, always listening Kinect 2.0

No way that'll blow up in their faces... Nope. No siree Bob.

Boss Man

Who gives a shit?

Tell them to get a PS4, it's a pretty fucking simple solution.

But great PR for MS would be to create offline Xbones for the military personnel, all dat news!
That would probably be horrible PR actually. It would be immediately recognized that the online shit is nothing but an annoyance. People would want the military version.

No exaggeration, if "Xbox hates the troops!" is what this online DRM thing becomes...Microsoft will probably genuinely have to take it out. That would absolutely murder them PR wise in the U.S.

It would be absolute genius for Sony to play into this and donate a bunch of PS4s like a week before launch. Sure the units they donate probably would have sold on the shelf, but the PR reward is incalculable. Sony would own the U.S. market just like that.

What I'd like to know is, why the Spanish Army can afford to give their troops internet access in places such as Afghanistan (my brother is out there now and pops up on FB now and then), but the US can't?

There's computer kiosks the US millitary can use to access internet and skype and facebook and whatever. But that doesn't mean you can hook up your own consoles and the like.

The Cowboy

America loooooves their military. You show a bunch of those men and women next to a PS4, baby you got a stew goin'.

Indeed, you get a few papers/news stations to show a few solders with a spanking new PS4 and the headline reading "Sony gifts Solders in XYZ PS4s" and well, that's a load of sales (and great press) easily.

RobbieH

I plan on doing this in the next week or so. Actually started it a little after the reveal and just telling you guys now, it'll be a monstrous post. Not just a big list of links; there's a story in itself here.

The Xbox One Reveal - A Tragic Play in Three Parts

I am still in shock at how big of a clusterfuck this is.

● The worst most, mis-communicated reveal in game industry history other than maybe Saturn.
● Once every 24 hour internet check just to be able to continue to play your games
● A horrendous proprietary used game system that gives pubs and Microsoft a 10% of the profits, thus ensuring the deals one can get on Used games are reduced and having less options for every gamer
● Complete inability to rent, lend or borrow games without paying a "fee", since every game must be installed. And the fee is the price of a brand new game, which Phil Harrison tells us to "think of it like a new game", because he is an abominable retard.
● Complete fucking tall tales and fabrications regarding the "Infinite Power of Cloud" which they did because...
● ...their system is a woefully underpowered trojan horse arbitrarily increased in price because of...
● ...a piece of shit dead-end gaming technology called "Kinect 2.0" which on top of being complete garbage for most genres, also is packed in with every system and...
● ...is also a horrendous invasion of privacy since it cannot be shut off without unplugging the system.
● A console which is also, after all this time, having massive eSRAM yield issues because Microsoft is caught rushing the One to the market.
● Also, contrary to the forward thinking Sony and - holy shit - Nintendo, they won't allow indies to self-publish. For no reason at all other than to be awkward, I suppose.
● Continuing this theme, they are also much, much further behind in supporting indies this go around than PS4 is, thus failing to capitalize on the good will engendered from Indies on 360.
● And they wasted their reveal talking about TV, TV, TV, TV, TV to do a function that nobody in their right mind would do if they had a DVR, to talk about sports and Kinect and have only two real games at their reveal.
● And is now liberally peppering all their attacks with a unhealthy dose of aggressive arrogance.
● On top of that gigantic shit sandwich, they have now also canceled their post-E3 media roundtable, presumably because they're tired of being eviscerated and embarrassed non-stop since January 2013. Once again, because of shit they did and no one else.
● Plus their presentation of their OS at the media reveal was confirmed to be completely fake, which wouldn't have been terrible except the entire time of the reveal they were trying to convince people it was real. "See how fast this thing moves!?"
● One final tip: Their dev tools are also comically behind its primary competitor.

Funny stuff that is just random and hilarious and not really life ending:

● And just for a cherry on top, because this final one is more hilarious than game changing or anything, Xbox Netherlands was caught borrowing images of PS4 exclusives to make their system look more appealing (thanks to JollyCorner for this tip)

DID I MISS ANYTHING GUYZ? Because holy goddamn shit at this point. This has been without exception the most biblical epic failure of console reveals, even topping the PS3's $599.99 just for its sheer confounding, aimless nonsense since the beginning of 2013. Not a single day has passed by without some relentless bit of tortuously negative Xbox One news.

The kicker? This is ALL Microsoft's fault and they should have seen the reaction coming a mile away since the problems they introduced of their own free will has been eviscerated among gamers and the press for years now, to say nothing of things like the Sim City or Diablo III debacle.

The proof is in the pudding. Holy goddamn fuck

I plan on doing this in the next week or so. Actually started it a little after the reveal and just telling you guys now, it'll be a monstrous post. Not just a big list of links; there's a story in itself here.

Awesome, this is much needed. Keeps everything central and it'll be easier to read. Plus smaller threads with new news can be merged with it. I look forward to it!

SeanR1221

It won't. I keep telling you guys this. Microsoft is white-hot right now, and they're going to steamroll this holiday season, whether we hate their machine or not.

Wii and PS2 were also hot. Having a good lead in is no guarantee for success.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
She did offer some encouragement for Xbox One hopefuls, however, saying the regional lock restrictions aren’t much different from other content protections.

“Similar to the movie and music industry, games and other content must meet country-specific regulatory guidelines before they are cleared for sale — which means that games will work in the broad geographic regions for which they have been cleared, much as today with Xbox 360,” Stickel wrote.

“While the console itself is not geographically restricted, a user’s Xbox Live account, content, apps and experiences are all tied to the country of billing and residence,” she wrote.

“Military personnel will be able to take their Xbox One and play their games with them without an issue as long as the game has been ‘activated’ once in the U.S. Your games go with you and play, no issues,” she says.

I thought this was debunked recently by support (IP restrictions for game activations), now it's confirmed? Shit.

LuchaShaq

Banned
It's not just those systems turning from X1's to Ps4 purchases, one of my best friends is in the military, when he comes home I damn well want the same platform as him so we can game together etc. Then other friends want to be on my platform etc etc

Dominoes

kitsuneyo

says right here they will have a workaround for them to play so long as game is activated once and no subsequent 24 hour check, they are just not giving details

Nope, this answer is about region locking. They'll still need to check in online daily.

Top Bottom