• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millennials reign cut short - Generation Z are the largest population group in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

You can be exposed to the world and become a good, grounded, and capable person without spending an inordinate amount of time on the internet. We did it for the entirety of human history prior to my generation (millenial).

If anything, from my experience at least, spending a lot of time on the web makes you more isolated and prone to group-think. I want my kids to meet people of diverse backgrounds and experience things in the real world, not live via someone else they watch on the internet.

Do you have kids? You will socially ostracize your middle school kid if you give them zero access to the internet. The way kids interact with each other has changed.

Just limit their time on the net if you are worried about internet addiction and isolation.

Gutek

It's our turn to complain about how the next generation is ruining everything.

Well, millenials ruined everything with their organic food, fair trade, avocado toasts, and buying less cars.

This new generation is ruining everything by spamming swastikas in YouTube chats.

Ekai

What's wrong with being libertarian? We believe in logic and reason to solve problems.

It's logically inconsistent and often argues for leaving minorities behind that they proclaim to support in favor of economic policies that fuck them over.

Gutek

What's wrong with being libertarian? We believe in logic and reason to solve problems.

They want less taxes and regulation. If there is anything the world needs right now to not go to shit completely, it’s regulation.

sant

It's logically inconsistent and often argues for leaving minorities behind that they proclaim to support in favor of economic policies that fuck them over.
We don't hate poor people. We want solutions that actually work. Things like the minimum wage don't help poor people.

br3wnor

There was a really, really blatant shift w/ kids born in the beginning of the '90s vs the end due to technology and other factors. The former lined up with the '80s kids, the latter were something new.

I actually agree with this. I always thought it was weird to have 1983-2000 as millenials. I was born in 1986 and my youngest sister was born in 1996. The difference in our ‘generations’ is really astounding, she had a completely different technological environment around her during her formative 8-16 y/o years than I did.

Sad to lose the designation as biggest group, but I think millenials being cut off at 1995 creates a more cohesive ‘generation’.

sant

They want less taxes and regulation. If there is anything the world needs right now to not go to shit completely, it’s regulation.
Over regulation kills growth in industries. Do you think China had double digit GDP growth for decades because they regulated the shit out of everything? Look at stagnant industries like nuclear energy, one thing they all have in common is they are regulated to hell.

Over regulation kills growth in industries. Do you think China had double digit GDP growth for decades because they regulated the shit out of everything? Look at stagnant industries like nuclear energy, one thing they all have in common is they are regulated to hell.

Yeah, I really wish America was more like China. I like air that I can chew.

sant

But libertarian solutions are just shitty conservative solutions that fuck the people over.
Leave the partisan rhetoric. Left wing policies can be just as shitty and destructive. They all come down to a fundamental misunderstanding of economics and human nature

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Ha! That just barely makes me a millenial as I was born at the end of 94. I'm pretty much gen-z anyway though

Hindl

Not every regulation comes down to "pollute the shit out of the environment"
No some of them also come down to fucking over poor people who have no agency because people at the top can do whatever they want without regulations keeping them in check. Deregulation in the 80s US did contribute to massive growth, but also massive inequality. If you're looking solely at GDP then yeah libertarian deregulation looks appealing. But the result of that deregulation leads to most people getting fucked

Do you have kids? You will socially ostracize your middle school kid if you give them zero access to the internet. The way kids interact with each other has changed.

Just limit their time on the net if you are worried about internet addiction and isolation.

I have two kids under the age of 4. I don't plan on totally forbidding them from using the internet, that would be crazy. I just don't plan on letting them have 24/7 access to it via a smartphone. They can get a phone when they're independently mobile and actually need it.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Locking threads, like spending millions to bribe legislators, is a form of free speech, so we can all agree that the best possible outcome to preserve liberty is to send this one to the trashcan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom