• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

inm8num2

I believe the game will get done if they stick to RPG Maker (albeit, probably as some crappy RPG Maker game as opposed to anything substantial or well-made), but at the very least they make a game. I do not believe that a game will be made if they 'switch' over to Unity. Ignoring the fact there's like, nothing transferable between Unity and RPG Maker and thus anything they have 'done' thus far would be able to transfer into the 'new' project, but it just strikes that she's is definitely going to get bored of the project part of the way through or not have the skills to finish the game at this point in time, or the patience.

This has nothing to do with 'girl power' or 'let's show those boys we can do it!,' nor do I believe it ever has been outside of a skewered 'reason' made to help push the fund raising, this is about a kid making a video game, and I can tell you while it is natural as a kid to push the scope of your game idea into impossible territory, it won't get done as you need far more experience, work your way up the ladder, learn from mistakes and keep trying if you have the passion for it. I would say that her switching engines and learning the hard way isn't a bad thing, except that one TINY little fact people paid for this.You don't need to pay a child to make their first game, they'll make it if they want to, there's nothing they're even really were funding outside of a scam class and while I'm all for a child taking on an endeavor they're interested in, there is no reason for her to have needed to go to camp to learn how to us RPG Maker (there, again, are great tutorials online AND a pretty helpful document in RPG Maker to teach you the basics), make money an innovator for a child early on to make video games (game developing is not an easy job, you need to have the passion for it and take the time and discipline to craft your ability, patience and commitment, and talent for it), and I was suspecting as a young girl she may grow bored of all of this and want to change things up 'to make things interesting' (grass on the other side always seems greener, she's 'obtained; the methods and ridiculous funding to make an RPG Maker game, now she wants Unity since that engine can 'do more' ignoring the fact there is a BIG difference between the two and aren't even in the same class of skills required).

It was never about making a game, either.

It was about Suscam making a name for herself as a champion for females kids working in games STEM.

She's a master bullshitter business woman. She just keeps stringing people along and "evolving" her goals. It's all bullshit, a long con for Suscam to make money and increase her exposure in the business world. The end. It has nothing to do with games, STEM, or other topics. Those are just what's hot and popular right now for someone to promote disingenuously.

tafer

I would go on that them changing engines when the whole point of the campaign was to send her to RPG Maker Camp is completely against what they funded, but we're way beyond that point now.

Unity is a good engine for practice and development in 3D space, but not for your first game as you're literally still have such little grasp of how to use RPG Maker beyond the simplest stuff. A Unity-based RPG takes time, effort, practice, skill, knowledge of the engine, etc.

I believe the game will get done if they stick to RPG Maker (albeit, probably as some crappy RPG Maker game as opposed to anything substantial or well-made), but at the very least they make a game. I do not believe that a game will be made if they 'switch' over to Unity. Ignoring the fact there's like, nothing transferable between Unity and RPG Maker and thus anything they have 'done' thus far would be able to transfer into the 'new' project, but it just strikes that she's is definitely going to get bored of the project part of the way through or not have the skills to finish the game at this point in time, or the patience.

This has nothing to do with 'girl power' or 'let's show those boys we can do it!,' nor do I believe it ever has been outside of a skewered 'reason' made to help push the fund raising, this is about a kid making a video game, and I can tell you while it is natural as a kid to push the scope of your game idea into impossible territory, it won't get done as you need far more experience, work your way up the ladder, learn from mistakes and keep trying if you have the passion for it. I would say that her switching engines and learning the hard way isn't a bad thing, except that one TINY little fact people paid for this.You don't need to pay a child to make their first game, they'll make it if they want to, there's nothing they're even really were funding outside of a scam class and while I'm all for a child taking on an endeavor they're interested in, there is no reason for her to have needed to go to camp to learn how to us RPG Maker (there, again, are great tutorials online AND a pretty helpful document in RPG Maker to teach you the basics), make money an innovator for a child early on to make video games (game developing is not an easy job, you need to have the passion for it and take the time and discipline to craft your ability, patience and commitment, and talent for it), and I was suspecting as a young girl she may grow bored of all of this and want to change things up 'to make things interesting' (grass on the other side always seems greener, she's 'obtained; the methods and ridiculous funding to make an RPG Maker game, now she wants Unity since that engine can 'do more' ignoring the fact there is a BIG difference between the two and aren't even in the same class of skills required).

You rise a really good point. Assuming, of course, that there is a 9 years old working on this. This woman put a child under pressure to develop a game because she asked for money and got payed to do so. Seriously, the chances for this stuff to backfire on the poor kid are huge and it could even scare her from the entire STEM field. (Ironic, isn't?)

And then, the potential switch to unity... wow.

Muku

Haha. My birthday was April 19th. My birthday present was watching her kickstarter end on the same day.

I'm glad it didn't get cancelled beforehand. I enjoy watching trainwrecks.

I'll admit, you got the better deal, haha! Train wrecks are fun. This became something else entirely though.

Kenzie is just a very mature 9 year old. ;-)

To me this tells me that they have problems of getting around in RPGMaker already, and are slowly going into panic mode. :)

This is the thing with Susan. The only thing she understands is money. She never even thought it over that maybe Kenzie lacks the skill required for making a game. (Or if she doesn't, at least needs a reasonable amount of time for it) Liking games is not the same as being able to make 'em. And just because she's a girl doesn't mean she can do anything. She clearly underestimated that, and likely figured making a game is something you do overnight. Because all game makers are dumbasses. They're men after all.

If they have problems getting around in RPG Maker, what makes them think Unity will be any easier? I have a hard enough time dabbling in it myself. But I'm also not a programmer and it feels a bit daunting to me. I really do need to learn it though. Think it can only help me in the long run.

I really hope they stick with RPG Maker for this particular one. At least learn something. She won't be under some stupid time limit on next one. Unless they somehow pull off another Kickstarter... I also like how her mom put the most impossible time limit on it. Heck, even the 14 year old boy at least had one further into the future. That at least tells me they have a better idea of what's going on. It's clear here they thought it would be quick and easy money. I guess technically it can still be if you put out a quick, and potentially horrible, game.

You rise a really good point. Assuming, of course, that there is a 9 years old working on this. This woman put a child under pressure to develop a game because she asked for money and got payed to do so. Seriously, the chances for this stuff to backfire on the poor kid are huge and it could even scare her from the entire STEM field. (Ironic, isn't?)

And then, the potential switch to unity... wow.

I agree, this is a textbook example of bad parenting. Dragging a 9 year old into an "adventure" that you are totally unfamiliar with yourself and where the both of you're hardly prepared for... and all of that for your own personal gain and potential prestige. Which, as inm8num2 stated, is the only thing Susan has ever been after in this whole "project".

I was thinking: the switch to Unity might also just be Susan throwing in buzz words again, like she did with "DRM free". Makes her look like she knows what she's talking about, at least to those who know even less about games than her.

But if they're actually stepping away from RPG Maker, then this whole thing does become an even bigger farce (given that the $829 was supposedly for an RPG Maker camp, as Dusk Golem already pointed out), and it will likely become even harder to get a game released at all. Susan's probably at a point now where she's lost any interest in her daughter's game, wants to focus on raising more money through FundHer and the likes, and wants to get the whole development thing (of which she doesn't understand the slightest anyway) out of the way as soon as possible. She just needs something, anything out of the door, otherwise it could obviously hurt her credibility with even the most gullible of her "fans". And then the Trolls would have actually told the Truth. :)

EuropeOG said:
Unity? So who is making the game?

9 year old Kenzie, who tweets like a 43 year old shady business woman, is: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=71059821&postcount=4940

tafer

But if they're actually stepping away from RPG Maker, then this whole thing does become an even bigger farce (given that the $829 was supposedly for an RPG Maker camp, as Dusk Golem already pointed out), and it will likely become even harder to get a game released at all. Susan's probably at a point now where she's lost any interest in her daughter's game, wants to focus on raising more money through FundHer and the likes, and wants to get the whole development thing (of which she doesn't understand the slightest anyway) out of the way as soon as possible. She just needs something, anything out of the door, otherwise it could obviously hurt her credibility with even the most gullible of her "fans". And then the Trolls would have actually told the Truth. :)

Considering what we have seen lately, I wouldn't be surprised if she suddenly opens a "charity" for this girls on STEM stuff (or any other social cause that sounds profitable enough)... and as you may expect from this woman, yep, that sort of "charity".

Vibranium

Banned
This is awesome. Two weeks before release, @gamerCEO Kenzie is looking into "switching engines" from RPGMaker to Unity. :)
Also: Susan feeds Kenzie wine.

X8Kt0cR.jpg

Oh man...someone with a brain and evidence needs to get Susan pissed enough so she starts a flame war again, and then pull out this card as proof that this isn't really Kenzie lol.

Speaking of logicial people, I wonder what ever happened to Waqar, hopefully he applied for a GAF account and is on his way to getting approved.

Considering what we have seen lately, I wouldn't be surprised if she suddenly opens a "charity" for this girls on STEM stuff (or any other social cause that sounds profitable enough)... and as you may expect from this woman, yep, that sort of "charity".

You haven't been paying attention, have you? :)
That charity project is already there: http://www.fundher.com/#!incubateher/chb0

Vibranium said:
Oh man...someone with a brain and evidence needs to get Susan pissed enough so she starts a flame war again, and then pull out this card as proof that this isn't really Kenzie lol.

Meh, she'll only pull the victim card again to counter that. "Help, this troll is attacking me and my 9 year old! It's because were women. Oh and look, it's a foreign troll who doesn't even care about Boston."

There's been lots of "circumstantial evidence" about her being shady. Just think of that iPhone case scam or all the tweet spamming and attempts of cybersquatting. That was more than enough to convince "the trolls", right? But clearly not sufficient for her backers and the lazy game media. So I don't think this new "lie" would convince any of them. Also she will likely respond something along the lines of: "ofcourse it's not Kenzie, I'm a responsible parent and monitor whatever my daughter does online. So many trolls and pedobears out there.".

This tweet was just another case of how disingenuous this woman really is.

If she wouldn't be able to deliver a working game with at least some of that truth & trolls story, now that would be bad and could backfire on her.

Ugh, this is still going on?? :/

The game isn't out yet, is it?

Megalosaro said:
i haven't checked this thread in like 3 months. Other than changing engines, what else has happened?

The changing engine thing is just a wild idea Susan had yesterday. She needs to get something out of the door in two weeks, because the release date is on July 31st and currently all they have is some generic screenshots and some artwork made by other kids than Kenzie.

So what happened: first PinkieSquare.com went live. Some stock photos there and generic RPG Maker screenshots. And some links to free tutorials. Not much going on there anymore, since it went live.

------> http://www.pinkiesquare.com/

Truthandtrolls.com went live, you might want to go there and count the number of Donate buttons on the page. Yes, they need MOAR money! Also make sure you check out the "Girls?" tab. You're in for a treat.

-----> http://www.truthandtrolls.com/

Then this awesome teaser trailer popped up:

-------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsl3ZdQzzZM&feature=player_embedded

Furthermore, Susan also announced a STEM camp for female entrepeneurs and their kids. This should take place from July 22-26st in Susan's office, if all goes well. So right in the middle of crunch time for Kenzie. You can still donate money to finance that endeavour on Susan's updated crowd scamming funding site:

------> http://www.fundher.com/

Also, Kenzie got a Twitteraccount (@gamerCEO) where she speaks like a 43 yo woman, which sounds a lot like @FundHer.
which, surprise surprise, is Susan's account!
And she went to MIT Game Lab last week.

Finally some more attempts at cybersquatting from Susan on her Twitteraccount.

I think that's about it.

The video on Truthandtrolls.net is awful. I want my minute back.

And you weren't kidding about donate buttons. Literally everywhere.

There is no goodness in this world

Someone needs to tell Susan about this:

"Basically, if you are putting your game up on kickstarter, and you commit to making it an Ouya timed 6 month exclusive -- If it funds for at least $50k, Ouya will double your money for you."

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627386

So she's about $25k short atm, unless fundher.com already managed to raise some coin. But it's a potential gold mine! Diamonds even!

C2La9OI.jpg

Vibranium

Banned
Meh, she'll only pull the victim card again to counter that. "Help, this troll is attacking me and my 9 year old! It's because were women. Oh and look, it's a foreign troll who doesn't even care about Boston."

There's been lots of "circumstantial evidence" about her being shady. Just think of that iPhone case scam or all the tweet spamming and attempts of cybersquatting. That was more than enough to convince "the trolls", right? But clearly not sufficient for her backers and the lazy game media. So I don't think this new "lie" would convince any of them. Also she will likely respond something along the lines of: "ofcourse it's not Kenzie, I'm a responsible parent and monitor whatever my daughter does online. So many trolls and pedobears out there.".

This tweet was just another case of how disingenuous this woman really is.

If she wouldn't be able to deliver a working game with at least some of that truth & trolls story, now that would be bad and could backfire on her.

Yeah, I guess you're right, Susan definitely is a master at reversing the heat on others. I still am really curious as to why Polygon hasn't done another article about this fiasco though, they recently did a follow-up one about the failed Code Hero kickstarter so now would be the time to maybe send them a link to this thread.

Here's the recent Code Hero article by Colin Campbell: http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/4/4494562/code-hero-developer-claims-troubled-project-still-alive-despite-new

Colin seems like the sort of guy who would really be able to write a great summary of this when the rest of the press ignore this stuff, maybe shoot him an email or something.

Yeah, I guess you're right, Susan definitely is a master at reversing the heat on others. I still am really curious as to why Polygon hasn't done another article about this fiasco though, they recently did a follow-up one about the failed Code Hero kickstarter so now would be the time to maybe send them a link to this thread.

Here's the recent Code Hero article by Colin Campbell: http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/4/4494562/code-hero-developer-claims-troubled-project-still-alive-despite-new

Colin seems like the sort of guy who would really be able to write a great summary of this when the rest of the press ignore this stuff, maybe shoot him an email or something.

Well, so far this project hasn't failed, has it? Everything's going smoothly. :)
Also Susan has released no less than 3 websites, so there's hardly been radio silence. Not that those sites contain any relevant updates on the project. But there are videos of Kenzie in Turkey! Must make a lot of backers happy.

Also if this project fails, she will go like: "But it's a 9 year old!? You can't hold the girl accountable at that age for trying hard and failing. It's part of her growing up to a female entrepeneur. What do you want me to do? Force her to finish the game? What kind of people are you, doing this to a 9yo girl?! Go back to your caves, trolls!" :)

And most backers will probably go:"It's sad, but you still rock, Kenzie! Also, we still have our koozies!"

Then what is that Colin dude going to write about? :) About that other project from your link. It sounds like that project starter just handled the (scope of the) project wrong. He apparently hired people and spent the raised money badly. It's nice of Colin to follow up on that, but it doesn't seem that the project starter was dishonest about who he was and/or how experienced he was. If you decide to back such a project, you're taking a risk that it goes awry. From what the article offers, it doesn't seem like there is a scam.

In the Susan Wilson case however, there was no project to begin with, just a greedy person looking for some free money, with some questionable reasons as to why she needed the money to begin with.

Muku

Did... did... did you just dishonor Scrooge McDuck?!

On a more serious note, nothing yet has failed. It's just a train wreck that has become something else entirely. Entertaining still, in some odd way. These folks knew what they were getting into at the start. And the Kickstarter changed so many times... what would you consider the project to be exactly? It was about Susan throwing around buzzwords for the dollar's to come flowing in. Though what does boggle my mind is the obvious lack of even thought about making games. Like you somehow throw them together over night. Why do they think games cost millions of dollars? :p

I wouldn't call this a project per se, but more of a charity *cough*fundmylife*cough*. Seriously, no kid needs money to put their first game together.

Syntax

Well, so far this project hasn't failed, has it? Everything's going smoothly. :)
Also Susan has released no less than 3 websites, so there's hardly been radio silence. Not that those sites contain any relevant updates on the project. But there are videos of Kenzie in Turkey! Must make a lot of backers happy.

Also if this project fails, she will go like: "But it's a 9 year old!? You can't hold the girl accountable at that age for trying hard and failing. It's part of her growing up to a female entrepeneur. What do you want me to do? Force her to finish the game? What kind of people are you, doing this to a 9yo girl?! Go back to your caves, trolls!" :)

And most backers will probably go:"It's sad, but you still rock, Kenzie! Also, we still have our koozies!"

In the Susan Wilson case however, there was no project to begin with, just a greedy person looking for some free money, with some questionable reasons as to why she needed the money to begin with.

That's the tragedy in all this, I suppose. Any wrong doing that can be lain at Susan's feet she'll simply deflect by using her daughter as a shield. It's a great scam she came up with: free money with no accountability under the pretext that it's a nine-year-old's doing.

The only person that can really finger Susan as culpable in all this would be her daughter. But that won't be happening until the kid grows up and has any understanding through hindsight of what actually occurred. If she even views it that way and if she's willing to out her mom.

Even then, years down the line, nobody will care.

Vibranium

Banned
You guys need to stop with your logical thinking ! :p

Yeah, I guess there's not much we can really do but continue to watch how this fiasco continues, it sucks to be a young idealist who wishes that karma actually existed.

New comment on KS sums up the state of affairs pretty good. (Such a good thing her backers don't want to be "bothered" with updates on what their money's being used for.)

pa0CUCA.jpg

10 days left until the Big Bang!

inm8num2

New comment on KS sums up the state of affairs pretty good. (Such a good thing her backers don't want to be "bothered" with updates on what their money's being used for.)

pa0CUCA.jpg

10 days left until the Big Bang!

Can't wait for the announcement regarding the "switch to Unity" and "delay".

Like we all said during the campaign, these backers deserve to never see a game made with their money. They threw it away.

Can't wait for the announcement regarding the "switch to Unity" and "delay".

Like we all said during the campaign, these backers deserve to never see a game made with their money. They threw it away.

But first there is Susan's first ever STEM camp. Starting tomorrow already! (If it actually takes place ofcourse.)

I'm hoping to see a lot of champagne and caviar pics, generously offered by the KS backers. ;-)

brb going to buy "trollher.com" before she can.

LOL! Awesome. You should have more than enough material to fill a tab page or 15.

Do you think anyone already owns cybersquatHer.com?

Crimson Mask said:
This whole story is depressing...but I can't look away

You should've donated/backed her project. It seems that after you do, you simply stop caring.

inm8num2

Wha...? I'm just trying to help the guy out. He's obviously feeling bad about all this. ;-)

He can still pre-order at http://www.truthandtrolls.com/.

And just as a reminder:

http://www.truthandtrolls.com/#!screenshots/co1k

Please Help Fund My Coding Camp? The first class needs to be free to get the word out because right now parents spend hundreds on sports like cheerleading but hesitate at spending money on an "unproven" skill.

July 22 - 26, 2013 with 10 people in the first session 5 girls (ages 8-16) & entrepreneurial moms/women

I wonder how many rubes actually funded the coding camp given that:

We're focusing on creating a great experience and support system so we're using Codecademy's proven curriculum and learning platform with it's gaming, scoring and badges that make learning to code into a game.

You know. http://www.codecademy.com/. That place that offers free tutorials to anyone interested in programming. But I wouldn't let that stop Suscam from running another con.

(blabla... inm8num2 defending his love interest Suscam.. blabla) j/k

Susan on day 1 of the STEM camp: "Hello girls, and welcome to Kenzie's first even coding camp. Because this is the first camp ever, I have a special treat: we're...well, YOU are, because I'm too busy managing all this... all going to be working on Truth & Trolls. Isn't that awesome! And we're going to work hard, no lunches and stuff, because it's due on the 31st. While that might sound dull, remember this is good for your future STEM carreer. Alright, what's your name? Jennifer? You start reading this RPGMaker for Dummies book, okay?"

inm8num2

Susan on day 1 of the STEM camp: "Hello girls, and welcome to Kenzie's first even coding camp. Because this is the first camp ever, I have a special treat: we're...well, YOU are, because I'm too busy managing all this... all going to be working on Truth & Trolls. Isn't that awesome! And we're going to work hard, no lunches and stuff, because it's due on the 31st. While that might sound dull, remember this is good for your future STEM carreer. Alright, what's your name? Jennifer? You start reading this RPGMaker for Dummies book, okay?"

That is exactly how it will go. I think we predicted Suscam outsourcing the game development to backers or camp attendees awhile back, too.

We've predicted her every move. Textbook sociopath. Too bad some sites jumped the gun in her defense, but I can't blame them if there were hateful or threatening remarks.

tafer

That is exactly how it will go. I think we predicted Suscam outsourcing the game development to backers or camp attendees awhile back, too.

We've predicted her every move. Textbook sociopath. Too bad some sites jumped the gun in her defense, but I can't blame them if there were hateful or threatening remarks.

At some point the internet will understand that violent threats and similar idiotic tactics only work against its will.

inm8num2

At some point the internet will understand that violent threats and similar idiotic tactics only work against its will.

I'm not optimistic, even though it's usually a very small minority. The thing is that the headline comes from the drama, but if any of those writers had looked at the OP of this thread they would have realized the threats, while disgusting, weren't the only/primary issue.

Instead they chose to feed Suscam's ego with more delusions of her virtuous quest for marketing herself for profit women's rights

Because its kind of a childish thing to write, just like 'M$'.

I think your arguments are great, and keeping people updated on the bullshit that this lady has done, and is currently doing is an awesome thing to do. But I dont think using the word/name 'Suscam' is really needed, and mostly just brings down the quality of your posts.

Anyway, carry on!

inm8num2

It's intentionally silly with an undertone of truth regarding the kind of person she is and the con she runs. I disagree it's childish, although I may be biased. ;)

To me it's just a playful way of channeling my disgust. After all Susc---er, Susan took to labeling all her critics as 'haterz', 'trolls', etc. while her friends took to making more mean-spirited remarks.

But if I've overdone the Suscam thing I'll tone it down. To be honest I was looking for a new pun anyway. Maybe $u$an? :p

Susan really started a trend. At least with her friends. (Both of which are supposed to be present at Susan's first ever STEM camp too, btw.)

First Desirai Labrada of The Mommy Gamers: she wants $1500 for a trip to Covington, Georgia (where sets of The Vampire Diaries are located). (I had already mentioned this earlier.)

http://www.gofundme.com/322ut8

Now Marcia Webb, the other TheMommyGamer: she wants $2000 to go to Pax Prime with her daughter.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pax-prime-mother-daughter-trip?c=pledges

If you backed the latter for $30, she would send you her uDraw, that horrible and fairly useless console addon from THQ, that Amazon sells for £6.5 (~$10) brand new.

It's not even educational anymore this time around, as was supposedly the case with Kenzie. Both are birthday trips. Well, at least they are completely open and honest about it, I guess. Susan could learn a thing or two about that.

Susan really started a trend. At least with her friends. (Both of which are supposed to be present at Susan's first ever STEM camp too, btw.)

First Desirai Labrada of The Mommy Gamers: she wants $1500 for a trip to Covington, Georgia (where sets of The Vampire Diaries are located). (I had already mentioned this earlier.)

http://www.gofundme.com/322ut8

Now Marcia Webb, the other TheMommyGamer: she wants $2000 to go to Pax Prime with her daughter.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pax-prime-mother-daughter-trip?c=pledges

If you backed the latter for $30, she would send you her uDraw, that horrible and fairly useless console addon from THQ, that Amazon sells for £6.5 (~$10) brand new.

It's not even educational anymore this time around, as was supposedly the case with Kenzie. Both are birthday trips. Well, at least they are completely open and honest about it, I guess. Susan could learn a thing or two about that.

Susan has donated $100 dollars to the PAX Prime one according to the donations list.

Muku

I see the natives grow weary.

Will said:
Update please?

Too bad for him it'll be a long wait.

Also, I'll leave on this note...

The Art Factory said:
the game seems to be still in development, and seems way way better than one might expect. delay? maybe, but it seems quite promising even if the 9 year old is taking a few days longer than expected to finish her computer programming job. it's normal for project to take extra time.. that yacht trip in the bahamas maybe delayed things a bit?! this project is going to be fascinating over time, especially when the games are released. plural, not singular, right? peace : )

Top Bottom