• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

Lunar15

Because many millionaires are the most tight arse scums bags you'll ever meet and they''re the kind of person who'd pick up a 1 cent coin in the dirt.

Great thing you know so many millionaires so that we could receive this amazingly un-generalized opinion.

kuroshiki

I see no problem.

Just don't do the 'donation' for stuff like this, period? I mean, why give your money away for this? This is the matter of stupidity more than greed.

Storm360

I see no problem.

Just don't do the 'donation' for stuff like this, period? I mean, why give your money away for this? This is the matter of stupidity more than greed.
Even if there is no problem with the kick starter itself, there's a problem with breaking the terms and conditions (spamming celebrities etc).

danwarb

I see no problem.

It seems people are being mislead at least.

That's a bad thing. A problem if you're bothered by bad things.

Drek

I've got very little sympathy for people who donate to clearly bogus causes on kickstarter. It's their money, they can waste it as they see fit.

Sure, but kickstarter allowing it will ultimately destroy the ability to group fund a damn thing.

Kickstarter has basic rules, no charity or paying for your life shit, no spamming, etc.. That all exists for a reason, to protect kickstarter from the kind of extremely negative outcomes things like this ultimately result in.

But sure, once it's brought to the attention of kickstarter its up the them, they can either let everybody through the gates to grab as much free interwebz money as they can scam up, or they need to make a stand and keep their house in order.

fallout

Everything about this is awful, but the "I am a 9 year old writing this myself oh my mom says to say this lol" and "Keep Up" merchandise are just.. so...

HOW IS ANYBODY FOOLED BY THIS
I'd never fund it under these circumstances and pretense, but I like the idea of someone wanting to support their kid like this.

If this wasn't Kickstarter and it was something like a charity to create a scholarship for girls to go to school for computer science, I'd be all for it.

Shinta

Banned
Actually, I do. So it is a great thing, huh? Thanks for playing.

Darklord

image.php

Seems legit actually.
just teasing

statham

She wanted this to go viral and with ellen or some big sites picking up on it. I don't think its going to work out for her.

Doczu

I see many guys (not only in this thread) whining that she didn't ask for more than $800 and that the rest of the cash is just from generosity. Weel it's a nice cover for her. She didn't want more than 800, the rest is fine as it comes.

You just argue that she wanted a small amount of cash, but she just wanted to have a free advertisement for her brand she will cash-in ASAP.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
My favorite part is that one of the rewards for a Kickstarter allegedly masterminded by a 9-year-old is a koozie clearly intended for alcoholic beverages.

TePF9sA.png

Hey boys, I'm getting drunker than you! EMPOWERMENT!

Midou

The fact there is a 10k tier plus the fact she spamming it like crazy on twitter to celebrities goes to show how much of a greed trip it is. She just wants to see if Kickstarter could be a new venue to quench her thirst for free money.

I don't mind she is rich and running a kickstarter, I mind that she is using her kid as a front.

Not even sure why she lies and implies that the kid wrote the main kickstarter pitch, it's clearly not written by a 9 year old.

Unfortunately, instead she got Gaf, Reddit and 4Chan...

Beginning to feel just a tiny bit sorry for her.

She tried to do this once before and failed, if we join forces and make her fail miserably and have the project shut down, maybe she'll be put on a watch list for future projects.

gemoran4

I just reported. I mean the purpose of kickstarter is to gather funding through crowdsourcing to do some kind of project. It isn't meant as a way to make money to send her to RPG camp. That would be a direct violation of the general project guidelines set by the website.

The only reason there is a $10K tier is that it was added after we'd surpassed the goal and Brenda Romero (google her because she's got far more clout in this field than you do) asked me to do just that. I was specifically asked by industry leaders (who were total strangers prior to this campaign) to add more rewards because good people know good intentions and want to do good things. You should try it! I don't know exactly what's going to happen with the money but I can assure you it will go to Kenzie making the best RPG game and it will go to doing it in the coolest way possible that gets girls involved in playing and building games!

She added to the comments today, good god that spin...

Love the "I dont know whats gonna happen to the money" bit, how is this still up?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So glad there are plenty of dumb middle class folks out there willing to help a millionaire out, and defend it.
If I were a millionaire I'd ask you dummies to fund my shit to. Why use my money when I can use yours?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
i really wish kickstarter would add a option to end the kickstarter once the target is hit.

Then how would the KS organization makes it money?

There's a reason they allow this kind of funding

If it hits it big, bam those fees keep getting higher and higher

Why would they want to cap themselves

Shitty ones that don't get funded, oh wells lesson learned, no much loss there, bruised egos maybe
Get one of them to hit 100K+, hello paycheck

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Totally look forward to that. Plus the 10/10 Polygon review.

Which then will changed to an 8 after they find out who was behind it

Then a 7 after twitter bitch-fest

Then a 5 after the game is release and played for real, and not the pre-alpha version

Then back to an 8 when EA invest in the 9 year old and gives her own studio, Dead Space 4 is now a RPG!

gazele

Banned
Clearly this is breaking the ToS of kickstarter so I hope it gets taken down

But just imagine the shitstorm if it is

"Little girls dreams to make video games shut down by kickstarter" etc.

Mikey Jr.

Someone with more than enough money to fund this project in a heartbeat without batting an eyelid attempting to use Kickstarter to do the exact same thing.

"But she's teaching her daughter that girls rule and boys drool and that her brothers are mean and that something something......fuck it! Mama needs a new pair of shoes."

So lets see here, $1000 for the camp, and $20,000 for the....mom's breast enhancements? No, seriously. Has she said where the extra 20k will go? Because you have to be 8 kinds of stupid to think that will go towards the "game".

First off this whole it's to fund camp, is BS. Because the camp was ALREADY PAID FOR.

"Please keep in mind, we started this campaign to raise about $900 because Kenzie was going to camp and her brothers were asking why she was going to RPG camp b/c it's not like she was going to be able to make a good game. Together, Kenzie and I decided to do this campaign to prove to them that she was smarter than they thought and she deserved their respect."- Update 5

And this is disgusting, no way this came from a nine year old.

"It's no secret there aren't enough females in STEM professions so part of my Kickstarter campaign is aimed at raising awareness and getting girls thinking about careers in technology at an early age. I want to be a role model for kids - but especially to girls so there are more girls in tech because I don't want to be the only girl in the room. My Mom and I created fun messaging about things girls can do followed by "KEEP UP!" which implies that the person who's supporting the campaign is ahead of others and a leader. Both of these items will be built in the game."- Main Page under "My Project"

And here is where I barfed, Susan wanting more money writing like shes nine is revolting.

"My goal is to raise $829 to cover the cost of RPG Camp. But my Mom just told me about the Veronica Mars campaign so now I'm secretly hoping to raise more." Under "Where is the money going"

I sincerely hope they pull this and bury it.

"But she's teaching her daughter that girls rule and boys drool and that her brothers are mean and that something something......fuck it! Mama needs a new pair of shoes."

So lets see here, $1000 for the camp, and $20,000 for the....mom's breast enhancements? No, seriously. Has she said where the extra 20k will go? Because you have to be 8 kinds of stupid to think that will go towards the "game".

Scroll up, she said she "doesn't exactly know where all the money will go."

jcm

Someone with more than enough money to fund this project in a heartbeat without batting an eyelid attempting to use Kickstarter to do the exact same thing.

According to her Facebook page, her favorite pair of shoes cost about 2x the price of the camp.

Spwn

I understand that the project hasn't been pulled yet, it is weekend after all. But if it isn't pulled tomorrow or the day after, Kickstarter will lose a lot of it's credibility in my eyes.

Erasus

Tshirts and cup holders are expensive to make man.

Also she needs an alienware laptop!

Spwn

What if they hired 2 Player Productions to film the game development process? That would be fantastic use for the extra $20k.

Top Bottom