• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft is now the best selling PC game of all time

Well deserved and arguably one of the most influential video games of our age as one that single-handedly popularised a niche genre, the one that drew media's attention to independent game developers and inspires its players and people to derive their own original work, or pay homage to the work of others.

Minecraft is this generation's Lego.

I don't think certain people realise that Notch hasn't been involved with Minecraft for a while now. He passed the reigns on to Jakob Porser I believe. He still owns Mojang but has nothing to do with Minecrafts development at this stage.

Even if the figures on the list aren't correct, I wouldn't be surprised if this is true giving how mainstream minecraft is these days. Well deserved too in my opinion, very few games in recent years have made the impact Minecraft has made.

And it's not for kids either. I'm a 25 year old male and I still love it. Surviving your first night in a new world then exploring when the sun rises is always an exciting experience.

Only recently got Minecraft as I didn’t get to try it out until a while ago at my cousin in laws house.

Bought it for PS3 and me and the wife have had a great time with it. Our playthrough has gone something like this:

1. Get resources and build a house
2. Decide I want a better house so build a 2nd floor
3. Then decide to create a 3rd floor where my wife can plant crops on the roof of the house
4. Go mining for quite a bit, exploring the areas and getting used to the game still.
5. Go exploring the world, finding interesting areas along the way such as an abandoned mine with scary poisonous spiders
6. To help find our house I built a big lighthouse next to our house (A bit pointless due to crappy craw distance) but still cool
7. Find that having trees planted on our roof causes enemies to spawn in our house so take it all down.
8. Finally explore the Nether, get scared and learn to hate Ghasts
9. Decide to level the hills near our house to prevent enemies spawning so spent hours getting rid of all the dirt and stone for a nice flat area of land outside our house for my wife to plant crops.
10. Decide to get further into the Nether and make getting the trophies related there easier I mine tonnes of Nether bricks to create a big secure path to the Blaze spawners etc. in the nearby fortress while protecting us somewhat from ghast attacks.
11. Decide to create a rail track for the trophy, building a ladder from our roof to the railway platform above the trees, goes over 500 metres and coincidently right to a huge mine we started on earlier so that’s nice.
12. Decide to level more hills between our house and our animal paddock nearby, as the hills were surrounded by water and we had actually started mining there I created a nice entrance to the mines and levelled the rest leaving nothing but water in its place.

Basically we have had a great time together and it has even helped us bond together with all our hard work which was a pleasant surprise.

Now Im probably gonna do some random stuff and eventually try to get the remaining trophies (Sniper duel and the 2 End trophies), also waiting for the PS4 version to come along so we can have a lot more space to explore and hopefully a better draw distance.

Basically a great game if you have some imagination and a desire to try things, as a huge fan of Lego when I was young this really is the next level for this generation.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Well deserved too in my opinion, very few games in recent years have made the impact Minecraft has made.

And it's not for kids either. I'm a 25 year old male and I still love it. Surviving your first night in a new world then exploring when the sun rises is always an exciting experience.

I'm 42 and I play the hell out of Minecraft for the past four years. Literally hundreds of hours. But then I also still build models with Lego too. I also build furniture out of wood and draw now and then, I just like doing creative things I guess. It's part of why I like coding video games, even if I do suck balls at it, lol.

It's amazing what happens when you make a product with almost universal appeal and sell it at a low price point (ala. the original Wii).

Top Bottom