• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mini amps anyone use one?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Looking to help my nephew set up his college apt bedroom who has some decent polk audio speakers and a 12" polk audio sub

He no long has space for any kind of receiver so he asked me about these mini amps and would they work

Likely a shot in the dark but does anyone use one and could a mini amp even push a sub like that?

He doesn't need to rattle windows just get some decent sound

Was kind of looking at something like this for him

https://www.amazon.com/TPA3116D2-Amplifier-Audio-Independent-Adjustment/dp/B077QPTPVW/ref=sr_1_49?keywords=computer+amplifier+for+speakers&qid=1703203309&sr=8-49&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.17d9e15d-4e43-4581-b373-0e5c1a776d5d&th=1

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I have this unit and love it:

I have it running two polk tower speakers running my turntable, cd player, and streaming. Could not be happier. This is in a smaller listening room, 15 x 15, so not so sure this would suffice for a larger room. This has Bluetooth and a remote which is sometimes rare on a mini amp. Good luck!
Was looking at that very one as well, think I will get a few different ones and see which one sounds the best (including this one)

Thanks for the input

ahtlas7

A quick search shows this is an active sub so he doesn’t need an amp.
ukLekZ0.jpg

Putting a 12” sub in an apartment though? Yikes! The neighbors won’t be happy 😂.

SJRB

Gold Member
61g6r0uaQfL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

I bought this one a while back, it looks neat but it kinda sucks. There's no discernable difference in audio quality. There's no bass/treble amplification and the thing is completely analogue so has no shielding from cellphone interference. Plus the thing gets really, really hot. I have to manually turn it off every evening, which is kinda cumbersome.

Granted this is one of the cheapest models available.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Looking to help my nephew set up his college apt bedroom who has some decent polk audio speakers and a 12" polk audio sub

He no long has space for any kind of receiver so he asked me about these mini amps and would they work

Likely a shot in the dark but does anyone use one and could a mini amp even push a sub like that?

He doesn't need to rattle windows just get some decent sound

Was kind of looking at something like this for him

https://www.amazon.com/TPA3116D2-Amplifier-Audio-Independent-Adjustment/dp/B077QPTPVW/ref=sr_1_49?keywords=computer+amplifier+for+speakers&qid=1703203309&sr=8-49&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.17d9e15d-4e43-4581-b373-0e5c1a776d5d&th=1
I use this in my desktop set up. It's powering a pair of Kef Q150 speakers without issue.

e: derp, missed the subwoofer part.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
A quick search shows this is an active sub so he doesn’t need an amp.
ukLekZ0.jpg

Putting a 12” sub in an apartment though? Yikes! The neighbors won’t be happy 😂.
These apts are mainly student housing so I would imagine there are a lot of parties going on :)

He was stuck in a dorm with another guy but now gets to move into an actual apt with his own bedroom so bringing his PS5, Series S and PC all hooked up to a monitor

Monitor doesn't have speakers so running a 3.5 mm jack to whatever I could find to get sound to those speakers including the sub and control the volume

Class d amps feeding a sub via high level (speaker connections) could be an issue. Normally need to check amp construction to see how ground is implemented. I know lyngdorf tell you not to connect their class d amps to a sub via high level as it'll damage the amp.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Class d amps feeding a sub via high level (speaker connections) could be an issue. Normally need to check amp construction to see how ground is implemented. I know lyngdorf tell you not to connect their class d amps to a sub via high level as it'll damage the amp.
For sure my biggest concern hooking one of those mini amps to a powered sub is blowing up his sub

Really couldn't find many options out there to be small and fairly cheap as he wants to pay for it around the $100 mark

Also ordered this which will be my first thing to hook up and see if it works as it says its for an active sub and his front speakers are non powered, we shall see what I can tear up :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097C6BLHY/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Top Bottom