• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mis Amigos - Pixar's Next Original Movie 'Coco' Will Boast an All-Latino Cast

Status
Not open for further replies.
0Xgc.png

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/...mplexmag&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Pixar's plans for the next few years mostly involve a bunch of hotly anticipated sequels. Toy Story 4, Cars 3, and The Incredibles 2 will keep us all busy through at least 2019. But Lee Unkrich, the same guy who co-directed confirmed classic Monsters Inc. with Pete Docter and David Silverman, is stepping up with something fresh in next year's Coco.

"It was important to us from day one that we had an all-Latino cast," Unkrich, who also helped guide Toy Story 3 to Oscar glory in 2011, told Entertainment Weekly Tuesday. "It focused us, and we ended up with a fantastic mix of people—some from Mexico and some from Los Angeles."

Coco, described as a "music-packed-but-not-quite-musical" film, centers on a 12-year-old boy named Miguel (Anthony Gonzalez), who dreams of becoming a celebrated musician just like his hero, Ernesto de la Cruz (Benjamin Bratt). Miguel, following a "mysterious chain of events," then ends up in the vibrant Land of the Dead and encounters a "trickster" named Hector (Gael García Bernal).

studyguy

First part makes me think of stuff like...
academia-kid.jpg

Second part sounds dope though, down.
This is going to be a fuckmassive success fam.
Calling it now it'll move mountains of cash.

First part makes me think of stuff like...
academia-kid.jpg

Second part sounds dope though, down.
This is going to be a fuckmassive success fam.
Calling it now it'll move mountains of cash.

Nah, plot seems too grounded to be masssively successful. But I guess it all depends on the music. They are going to need a "Let it Go".

so tired of lantino-themed films revolving around day of the dead mythos

also, it would help if not just the cast but the actual filmmakers were latino

PSqueak

Banned

Well, the thing is, Book of Life beat them to the punch by releasing early (and actually been made by mexicans), so it feels like the market is saturated already even tho there aren't that much movies about it already.

Like seriously, who else did it besides Book of life?

I would hope and imagine that Pixar, Disney, and the like hire or collaborate with people from these specific societies/communities when making these films.

This movie makes me irrationally angry.
It showcases a more magical side of what Day of the Dead is, but here is the thing. Its not a place, its a feeling and a time frame.

Book of Life avoided this by being stated as a folktale and never referencing itself as the day of the dead. Not to mention how they explained the feeling of being in an altar, its so quaint yet so simple and perfect.

Coco [which, btw, WHY coco? Coconut in spanish? why?] is stimply taking the stereotype, candy coating it and selling it. Its repurposing and selling a tradition... But then again, thats the effect of globalization right?

Complete latino cast is ok, but why would Pixar come into this slate? BoL WAS pitched to them [Jorge Gutierrez told us in a conference and small talk] around early 2000s. The only thing Pixar will do is become the big name that has a latin film banner for a year, erasing the effort of a smaller studio that could follow and deliver a story that was, in the best way, authentic.

The moment I saw their Art directors and guidance, I understood that this is mostly aimed to the gabachos [Mexican inmigrants who live in USA and ID more as americans despite heritage] than to showcase the world culture. Specially since the plot is already following the Pixar checklist.

EDIT:
in some cases it's less "I, personally, really wish there was a story about Thing and consider myself qualified to make it" and more "it would be really cool if people from where I'm from could voice and make widespread our own stories, culture, myths". I know Pixar has the tools to make a thing happen, and here in Mexico too, but we cant be AUTHENTIC because the appeal isnt as charming as describing a world of fantasy to outsiders. Also, sure, Lee Unkrich has a great sense of direction, but why not invite and tutelage great latin directors as well? Why not start a coalition and, if really invested, create a PixarLA subdivision? oh right, see what happened with PixarCA [Vancouver]? Theres plenty of talent here, this is the reason our creative and skilled minds go into other countries. In part because of the tyrannic way culture fund has been treated and the fact that investors fear for no revenue... Theres no risk taking here, and thats a reason why these kind of voice cannot be heard and better be expropriated and sold to other places.

Manoko

It showcases a more magical side of what Day of the Dead is, but here is the thing. Its not a place, its a feeling and a time frame.

Book of Life avoided this by being stated as a folktale and never referencing itself as the day of the dead. Not to mention how they explained the feeling of being in an altar, its so quaint yet so simple and perfect.

Coco [which, btw, WHY coco? Coconut in spanish? why?] is stimply taking the stereotype, candy coating it and selling it. Its repurposing and selling a tradition... But then again, thats the effect of globalization right?

Complete latino cast is ok, but why would Pixar come into this slate? BoL WAS pitched to them [Jorge Gutierrez told us in a conference and small talk] around early 2000s. The only thing Pixar will do is become the big name that has a latin film banner for a year, erasing the effort of a smaller studio that could follow and deliver a story that was, in the best way, authentic.

The moment I saw their Art directors and guidance, I understood that this is mostly aimed to the gabachos [Mexican inmigrants who live in USA and ID more as americans despite heritage] than to showcase the world culture. Specially since the plot is already following the Pixar checklist.

Damn, you got a very early screening.
Wish I had one too to build such a solid opinion on the movie.

Coco is also the mexican word for "the boogeyman", so im assuming the boogeyman will be involved to some potency, specially since it already mentions supernatural tricksters.

Yes, El Coco.
But, really? Making it the focus of the movie? Pixar, the great idea thinktank of animation couldnt just believe in a better alternative?

Besides, El Coco has no real reason to appear or exist in a DotD movie unless you wanna risk a PG13 rating.

Honestly, I agree. I'll definitely give it a chance, but I wish actual Latinos were making the movie. I don't want a movie for Latinos filtered through a white non-Latino lens.

I think it's great and noteworthy that they're making sure to have a Latino cast, but without Latino filmmakers behind a Latino story, I'm not sure this is actually good news. :/

We'll see, though.

studyguy

Coco is also the mexican word for "the boogeyman", so im assuming the boogeyman will be involved to some potency, specially since it already mentions supernatural tricksters.

Most people have probably seen it as El Cucuy

It's not coco as in coconut, the thing you eat.

Blizzard

Banned
The Book of Life had very neat visuals and I recommend seeing it for anyone interested in the Day of the Dead.

I used to love Pixar but I keep my expectations in check these days.

I like the idea of a Latin cast, but how about not retreading Dia de los Muertos again. Book of Life did that in a great way.

My heritage is from South America (Chile), so it would be nice to hear Latin cast and it not always be about Mexico. No offense but there are other Latin cultures and peoples.

Of course I am saying this with a sombrero on my head, so I am a guilty as they are.

The funny thing about Book of Life is it felt diluted, white washed especially with the American pop music choices and voice actors.

Seeing all these responses only fortify my opinion of what will happen with this film. Specially on an new and discovered america where hate and racism run free.

Despite that, I read the Vanity Fair version of the article and it cements me on a worse position...

"“We’re not trying to make the definitive Mexican movie,” Unkrich is quick to point out. And of course, Pixar isn’t even the first animation studio to make a film about Dia de Muertos: 20th Century Fox Animation beat them to the punch with 2014’s Book of Life. But while the two films share a few design and musical elements in common, Book of Life has none of the lived-in, realistic feel of Miguel’s Santa Cecilia family."

Let me state something about how BoL has more magic and realist feeling in its first act than in the whole premise of this movie:

We discover what inner strength and personal happiness being discovered through a family voyage means. The recognition of familiar roots. It showcases the generational struggle of tradition vs accepting new thoughts in new generations that happens at every step of the generational gap we pass through [when we forge a family]. The first act deals with this, along with the grief of passing on your tradition unsuccessfully, dying and being free of responsibility while leaving your survivors with the grief and sadness of the release. If you ever had a death in your family, you know THAT feeling. At the same time, it showcases a fantasy where the main character comes face to face in his life decisions and ends reuniting with those whom he honored before him.

And thats just ACT ONE.
And Lee Unkrich called this empty to their "realism". While saying its not a perfect mexican film. This sounds contradictory... This isnt a love letter to Mexico, this is a love letter to the chilango culture forging the perfect Mexican Curio to sell.

EDIT:
The funny thing about Book of Life is it felt diluted, white washed especially with the American pop music choices.

Dude, I suggest you to see it again with the director commentary on. It explains so much specially coming from Jorge Gutierrez who had the struggle of being a Mexican in the border.

studyguy

I like the idea of a Latin cast, but how about not retreading Dia de los Muertos again. Book of Life did that in a great way.

My heritage is from South America (Chile), so it would be nice to hear Latin cast and it not always be about Mexico. No offense but there are other Latin cultures and peoples.

Of course I am saying this with a sombrero on my head, so I am a guilty as they are.

I remember being told the story of El Silbon (sp?) by a family friend from Venezuela I think. Everyone always hears about the same stories up here in the US. La llorona, el cucuy, etc. Some of the south American ones never get told and seem just as interesting.

Dude, I suggest you to see it again with the director commentary on. It explains so much specially coming from Jorge Gutierrez who had the struggle of being a Mexican in the border.

I don't need to see it again, I liked it but I hated the parts of the movie that felt like it was pandering to an American audience rather than remaining confident in all it's Mexican glory.

I remember being told the story of El Silbon (sp?) by a family friend from Venezuela I think. Everyone always hears about the same stories up here in the US. La llorona, el cucuy, etc. Some of the south American ones never get told and seem just as interesting.

I have a book that an uncle gave me that is all about the mythical monsters from folk tales and legends in Chile. Fun wild stuff and an example of how rich each culture is. I come from the Mapuche people and would love a movie about how they were one of the only native people who successfully resisted the Spanish invasion. Well longer, than other native people until they were eventually crushed. Maybe not the best story for a fun Pixar film?

bchamba

As a Latino I'm interested to see how they round out the cast since Hollywood only has like 5 Latino actors that they cycle between when they need one. Lol'd at Benjamin Bratt because he is one of them. Waiting for them to announce it also features John Leguizamo, Danny Trejo, and George Lopez.

Violet_0

Banned
the premise doesn't sound too great to me. We'll see in a couple years, I guess

Jaimonster, you seems to have enjoyed BoL a great deal more than I did. It did some things well (mostly visually), others like plot and characters were drenched in "genericness"

Coco is also the spanish name for the Boogeyman.
Source: Soy mexicano

Madness

Lol at Cars 3 being a hotly anticipated sequel. Though I get why with the success of Moana and Frozen they want a more musical based film, I wish Pixar went back to making more films like Wall-E, Ratatouille and Up etc.

Violet_0

Banned
Lol at Cars 3 being a hotly anticipated sequel. Though I get why with the success of Moana and Frozen they want a more musical based film, I wish Pixar went back to making more films like Wall-E, Ratatouille and Up etc.

well, we got Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur last year. Sure, TGD was a disappointment, but at least we got a welcomed break in the sequels galore that is currently going on at Pixar

Seems very Mexico centric. I guess it makes sense considering the population in the US and the seemingly increading popularity of Dia de Muertos in the US.

Regardless, I'll def watch.

JSevere

Pixar finally doing a musical (sounds like it?) is dope af

have high hopes for this since Toy Story 3 was excellent and it'll probably become very timely considering the new management America will be under next year, so I hope Pixar is able to knock it out of the park

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom