• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Missouri Teenagers Protest a Transgender Student’s Use of the Girls’ Bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Missouri Teenagers Protest a Transgender Student’s Use of the Girls’ Bathroom

02transstudent-image-master675.jpg

A transgender high school student in Missouri is facing backlash from her peers after requesting to use the girls’ bathrooms and locker room.

More than 100 students at Hillsboro High School, about an hour south of St Louis, walked out of class on Monday in protest.

“I’m hoping this dies down,” said Lila Perry, the 17-year-old who began identifying as a girl publicly in February. “I don’t want my entire senior year to be like this.”

Ms. Perry, who began feeling “more like a girl than a boy” when she was 13, said school officials gave her permission to use the girls’ facilities as the new school year began.

The district’s superintendent, Aaron D. Cornman, issued a statement saying the district “accepts all students no matter race, nationality/ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation.”

The student protest came on the heels of a school board meeting on Thursday attended by so many parents it had to be moved to a bigger location.

“My goal is for the district and parents to have a policy discussion,” said Derrick Good, a lawyer who has two daughters in the district and wants students to use either facilities based on their biological sex or other gender-neutral facilities.

He worked with the Alliance Defending Freedom, a Christian advocacy group, to draft a “student physical privacy policy” and submit it to the district, which has about 3,500 students.

Ms. Perry previously used a unisex faculty bathroom, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

Mr. Good said he got involved after hearing about a female student who encountered “an intact male” in the girls’ locker room.

“It’s a violation of my daughters’ rights to privacy to not have a policy,” he said.

The protesting students assembled outside the school for about two hours. Mr. Cornman said he did not believe any of them were penalized.

Ms. Perry, who dropped out of the physical education class that prompted her use of the girls’ locker room, spent the two hours in her guidance counselor’s office.

“I was concerned about my own safety,” she said.

cameron

He worked with the Alliance Defending Freedom, a Christian advocacy group, to draft a “student physical privacy policy” and submit it to the district, which has about 3,500 students.

Not surprising. ADF is all kinds of shite.

liquidtmd

Banned
My goal is for the district and parents to have a policy discussion,” said Derrick Good, a lawyer who has two daughters in the district and wants students to use either facilities based on their biological sex or other gender-neutral facilities.

tumblr_inline_nd6z48rgcW1r1ohlx.png

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I expect more of this as transgenderism starts being more accepted and talked about.

Am I the only one who doesn't find it that unreasonable for these girls to feel uncomfortable seeing male genatalia in the women's locker room?

And at least they held a protest to raise their concern instead of resorting to violence or the other horrible things you hear about. This would start a discussion aimed towards appeasing everyone.

I feel for the girl but this doesn't sound as outrageous to me as some of you guys are taking it.

Unless I missed something, then by all means point it out to me.

Well, this sounds like an absolute nightmare for the girl. You would need incredible mental fortitude to stick around after over 100 of your fellow classmates essentially protested who you are.

q_q

Am I the only one who doesn't find it that unreasonable for these girls to feel uncomfortable seeing male genatalia in the women's locker room?

And at least they held a protest to raise their concern instead of resorting to violence or the other horrible things you hear about. This would start a discussion aimed towards appeasing everyone.

I feel for the girl but this doesn't sound as outrageous to me as some of you guys are taking it.

I agree with you. I dont like their protesting it and making this a big public ordeal, that just seems like bullying to me. But i dont think it makes them bigots inherently because theyre uncomfortable with the situation.

Hexa

I see no reason that anyone should see anyone else's genitalia in any bathroom.

Damaniel

Banned
No it really doesn't.

Depends on location as much as anything else. If she lived in a more progressive place (like Portland), she'd get far less flak than if she lived in somewhere like.. well... Missouri.

Of course, she shouldn't have to put up with that kind of bigoted crap no matter where she lives. Her fellow classmates should be ashamed.

But they aren't going to see male genitalia. I'm going to assume she'll be using a stall like everyone else, not standing around with her dick out.

I understand people being hesitant about this, and I don't think that initial hesitation is bigotry or wrong. But once you do some research - or in this case, meet/know the person in question, it becomes impossible to defend the fear and antagonism on display. These girls know this particular girl, they've been around her. I'm going to assume she isn't running around trying to touch girls or whatever other fear people have. So why treat her like shit?

Tenebrous

I agree with you.

Those involved are just kids that lack a little bit of education, which is probably a scholastic failing moreso than any sort of deep rooted prejudice. Teenagers react weird to "unusual" things all the time, and I'd rather an ill-informed protest lead to education of those involved than to any sort of violence.

Honestly, at that age, it probably would've confused the hell out of me as well.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!

You're not the only one. I thought the same thing.

I agree with you. I dont like their protesting it and making this a big public ordeal, that just seems like bullying to me. But i dont think it makes them bigots inherently because theyre uncomfortable with the situation.

It displays an asinine display in fear and ignorance, and yes, the protesting makes this more than a little fucked up.

Sure, teenagers are known to be asinine, to do stupid things they regret, and hopefully better themselves greatly, but I can't defend in any way how far they took it with these protests. I want you to try and put yourself in that girls shoes, and tell me any of this is ok.

I agree with you. They have every right to be upset about this.

Tagyhag

Mr. Good said he got involved after hearing about a female student who encountered “an intact male” in the girls’ locker room.

That student be taking a peek.

Come on kids, she's not hurting anybody.

No, I agree.

Xyrmellon

It says locker room in the article. This is where everyone changes clothes out in the open, and in some cases, showers. So yes, she could potentially have her dick out.

q_q

It displays an asinine display in fear and ignorance, and yes, the protesting makes this more than a little fucked up.

Sure, teenagers are known to be asinine, to do stupid things they regret, and hopefully better themselves greatly, but I can't defend in any way how far they took it with these protests. I want you to try and put yourself in that girls shoes, and tell me any of this is ok.
Trust me, I empathise with the transgender girl. I think its horrible she was publicly humiliated like this. That being said, I dont think its unreasonable for other girls to feel uncomfortable about having her in such a private place without their consent. I personally wouldnt mind at all, but i dont think its right to make that decision for someone else.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
the article says he began to feel more like a girl than a boy at 13....but how ..what reference would he have for that or has he begun some sort of hormone therapy.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
That's some awful shit. These kids are assholes.

Some girls just don't want a guy in their locker room and bathroom. This is normal. This is an issue that is going to need solving, but demonizing the girls is not a solution. Unfortunately there is no simple solution unless you just have all co-ed areas which isn't going to happen.

Some girls just don't want a guy in their locker room and bathroom. This is normal. This is an issue that is going to need solving, but demonizing the girls is not a solution. Unfortunately there is no simple solution unless you just have all co-ed areas which isn't going to happen.
well first off she isn't "a guy". she's a girl. where would you have her go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom