• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto on support for two GamePads: "Not in short-term"

freakzilla3000

Yeah I don't think it's going to happen either. The system has been out for 2 years and is now finally starting to gain SOME momentum (albeit a little momentum because of the amazing Mario Kart 8 release).

We will see, but I am not holding my breath.

sappyday

How about the support for no gamepad. I would gladly sell my Gamepad if it weren't for the fact that it's needed for certain applications. I hate playing with the darn thing.

Marow

I remember when we didn't know a thing and there was speculation and talk about what kind of games would be possible with four GamePads... like The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures.

FyreWulff

I doubted they'd ever be able to do it anyways.

They already can. It's already been stated that two gameplay play runs at 30FPS due to having to send every other frame to the second gamepad.

No developer is going to support it though since requiring two pads halves your potential sales audience on the Wii U, and you'd be kind of silly to try and sell a game to half of the Wii U install base right now.

Marceles

I remember looking up second gamepad support and people talking about it would take away from the Wii U's performance or something like that. I would've gotten another one a long time ago if it was supported

PetrCobra

Forgive my ignorance but what does resyncing a game pad mean?

I guess, in a hypothetical world where this feature is implemented, if you bring your Gamepad over to a friend to play a two-gamepad game, you need to sync your gamepad to his console and when you return home, resync it to your own console. OR you could just buy a second Gamepad, sync it once and be done with it. Then your friend can come to visit you and use your second Gamepad.

I remember when we didn't know a thing and there was speculation and talk about what kind of games would be possible with four GamePads... like The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures.
15fps four swords and GAF in flames about "why didn't you let my use my 3DS family of 3DS, 3DS XL and 2DS? I wasted $400 on this not counting the house..."

As the above implies my personal thought on games using 2 gamepads is why not communicate with the 3DS via download play because people are more likely to have more than one of those?

I really hope if they stick with the gamepad idea it supports four next time around. I was super disappointed when it was confirmed to be one. I was hoping for a new Four Swords, Pacman VS-esque games, etc...

spookyfish

Thanks, that's what I was referring to. Kind of shitty that they would say that and then not follow through with it, but I suppose Miyamoto's right, and Nintendo needs to worry about convincing people to buy WiiU's, first and foremost.

If the Wii U had been the runaway hit that the Wii was -- yeah, right -- then I think they would have supported the two pads. For now, though, I agree with posters saying they barely support one. I love ZombiU, and wish there was more innovation like that. I'm still holding out hope for Watch_Dogs ... I'm a dreamer.

Dachande

As compressed as the video on the game pad is now, I don't even want to think of it at half the bitrate.

This is exactly what I thought. Either two gamepad's video would look like shit, or the console itself simply doesn't have the power to encode and broadcast two streams at once. I doubt it'll ever happen.

Fox Mulder

I really hope if they stick with the gamepad idea it supports four next time around. I was super disappointed when it was confirmed to be one. I was hoping for a new Four Swords, Pacman VS-esque games, etc...

well why can't they come up with something to work this way now with the 3ds? The GBA wasn't as fully featured as a GC controller and it worked fine in the couple of games that were built around playing that way.

Wii U 2 will have a Gamepad with 2 screens built in, so you have 3 screens to look at and the need to consult a surgeon to implant a third eye on your forehead

Zetta

Only reason I took so long ot purchase a Wii U was because of the gamepad. Just feels too much like a gimmick, thank god for Mario Kart 8 otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

MilesTeg

Banned
They don't even sell them at retail. And if they did, no one is going to pay $100 or whatever it costs for a controller. Given the state of Wii U retailers probably wouldn't even stock it, most likely need to buy directly from Nintendo's site.

Top Bottom